Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• L-GaimL-Gaim0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the pics! As I said, my versions were modelled after the "art of" book, not the actual filmed models. They most likely did some other variations. I might make some more variations as well if I need them to populate the picture.

I still like your three nacelle version. That single strut connecting to the roll bar looks rather good to me. :D

I noticed over at Bernd Schneider's site, that it seemed as though some of the saucer sections were wider then others. An example would be the Newton's was as wide, or appears to be, as the Enterprise's. The other ships seem to be the same width as the Kelvin.

I think there could be a great deal of fun playing about with this design, as the film makers did. There could even be a Stargazer like configuration out there.
  • L-GaimL-Gaim0 Posts: 0Member
    Promus wrote: »
    Tobias (and anyone else), if you're interested, check out a thread that a few of us have had running since before the film's release. Our thread has been one of the longest-running and most thorough effort to figure out and document the most accurate representations of the other ships from STXI - in fact we're pretty sure Bernd from Ex-Astris-Scientia is taking his info from our thread. :)

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-wips/62381-uss-unknown-bg-ship-jj-trek-26.html

Thanks for the link and info! :D:thumb:
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    No matter how you approach it Tobias, your versions of the fleet are very well done. I can't wait to see them alongside your revised Enterprise.

Any way you could do a shot with the Enterprise mimicing the shot from ST5 with her against the moon? ;)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1220 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,647Member
    Wow... just wow... an amazing job on the JJ-fleet ships!
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the thread tip - so far it seems the major differences are the rollbar on the Mayflower and the different pylon/impulse section on the Armstrong. I might fix both or just make a few more alterations, but right now IA’m back on the Enterprise. UVmapping has been done, next will be some tests for the main material. It seems the hull is pretty complex in terms of specularity and reflection...

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    L-Gaim wrote: »
    Thanks for the link and info! :D:thumb:
    Thanks for the thread tip!

Glad I could help. :)

And Happy New Year to all, as well! :thumb:
    Thanks for the thread tip - so far it seems the major differences are the rollbar on the Mayflower and the different pylon/impulse section on the Armstrong. I might fix both or just make a few more alterations, but right now IA’m back on the Enterprise. UVmapping has been done, next will be some tests for the main material. It seems the hull is pretty complex in terms of specularity and reflection...

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Yeah, I noticed that while the tour was going on the blu-ray. The Enterprise's hull specs are very complex.

And Happy New Years!
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow those screen grabs make the ENT a BIIIIG ship
  • Jonny BoyJonny Boy1 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Tobias, not sure if you've seen any of the behind-the-scenes docs on the Trek blu-ray or not, but the hull is painted with interference paint in the same style as the Refit from TMP. The paint shifts color at different angles on the hull, and the interference paint also adds two or three different layers of specularity. I'm probably not explaining well, but I would definitely check into the interference paint.
  • Ali-SamaAli-Sama0 Posts: 0Member
    nice, has anyone made group shots of the many enterprises together with the new enterprise yet?
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Probably not, since the new Abramprise dwarfs them all by about a factor of two, and putting them side-to-side would just draw attention to how retardedly huge the new ship is (for no reason).
  • Jedi2016Jedi20160 Posts: 0Member
    Actually, I'd have to argue with you there.. I don't think the new ship is too big, I think it's the original ships were too small. Seriously.. the TOS Enterprise was smaller than some of our current aircraft carriers. Remember, it was designed in the 60s, when the largest ship in the American fleet could probably have fit inside the shuttle bay. People just seem "okay" with it because "that's the way it's always been". I'm glad they actually made the thing a realistic size rather than going with the teeny version from the 60s.
    Jedi2016 wrote: »
    Actually, I'd have to argue with you there.. I don't think the new ship is too big, I think it's the original ships were too small. Seriously.. the TOS Enterprise was smaller than some of our current aircraft carriers. Remember, it was designed in the 60s, when the largest ship in the American fleet could probably have fit inside the shuttle bay. People just seem "okay" with it because "that's the way it's always been". I'm glad they actually made the thing a realistic size rather than going with the teeny version from the 60s.

I have to agree with this guy, I never liked the "scale" of the old ships. It always bothered me that the supposed pinnacle of human achievement was only as big as a 20th century aircraft carrier. I just think that whoever thought up the sizes for the old ships just wasn't thinking it through, especially when it came to windows. For example, the saucer rim of the TMP 1701. The windows and the port airlock suggest at least three to as many as five decks in the rim, not two. Two decks would cut the airlock hatch in half, and the upper windows would only have a good viewpoint for tiny people, while the lower windows would only be good for tall people. And also, the windows on the TOS and TMP, at least on the saucer, are completely different sizes. :p
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    I have to agree with this guy, I never liked the "scale" of the old ships. It always bothered me that the supposed pinnacle of human achievement was only as big as a 20th century aircraft carrier. I just think that whoever thought up the sizes for the old ships just wasn't thinking it through, especially when it came to windows. For example, the saucer rim of the TMP 1701. The windows and the port airlock suggest at least three to as many as five decks in the rim, not two. Two decks would cut the airlock hatch in half, and the upper windows would only have a good viewpoint for tiny people, while the lower windows would only be good for tall people. And also, the windows on the TOS and TMP, at least on the saucer, are completely different sizes. :p
    ^^What he said!!
    Back to the E - finally got the plates and the specular elements done. The upper side of the saucer and the bridge is almost done...
    Very nice
  • IRMLIRML256 Posts: 1,993Member
    it looks brilliant

I must admit I didn't think this one was as good as your kelvin was first time around, but now it's probably better
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    I hated this ship in the new flick, would have rather seen Jason Lee's beauty on the screen, but you've really captured the flattering side of this new lady.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    You are the master, sir. :D
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work.
  • scifiericscifieric1123 Posts: 1,498Member
    Oh lord, that's pretty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Well, damn. Nice work.
  • japetusjapetus3008 SeattlePosts: 1,407Member
    Wow, amazing modeling here! Really inspires me to brush off some of my old Star Trek models :) Will be keeping an eye on this!
    Lower saucer and impulse engines are done - next stop will be the secondary hull...
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like you've got those different hull colours nailed, very nice.
    Very very nice.
    Tobias, I remember when the new Enterprise was revealed over a year ago, you said that after seeing it that it "ruined your day" and that you hated it. How do you feel about it now that you've gotten to know it in every detail?

I have come to accept it more than when I first saw it, and I'd give it say, a 7 out of 10. (the design, not your work)

IMO, the re-designed Connie by MadKoiFish is almost perfect.
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Tobias, I think when you are done with this, you will have a better model than the real thing. :) It looks perfect. I wish mine was even half as good.
    I wish mine was even half as good.

Time for version 5! :p
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Time for version 5! :p
    My brain says yes, but my wife says no. :)