Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    I can assure you, the Bad Robot blueprint is 100% spot on the original model. Gus blueprints take some liberty in some of the details, so I would go with the BR blueprint... (e.g. the inner line in the pylon is straight in Gus version, but slightly bended in the model).

I donA’t have the Artbook yet - ordered it a couple of weeks ago, but it still hasnA’t shown up. Is there by any chance a blueprint or some more views of that space station in there? A colleague of mine is modelling that and she would love to have some more views, especially of the sphere in the middle...
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Tobias, there are no blueprints in the Art of the Film book. I wish there were. The Bad Robot blueprint and Gus' blueprints are the best we are going to get for now.

Just be sure to keep checking reference, and you should get pretty close. But you already know that. ;)
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    I can assure you, the Bad Robot blueprint is 100% spot on the original model. Gus blueprints take some liberty in some of the details, so I would go with the BR blueprint... (e.g. the inner line in the pylon is straight in Gus version, but slightly bended in the model).

I donA’t have the Artbook yet - ordered it a couple of weeks ago, but it still hasnA’t shown up. Is there by any chance a blueprint or some more views of that space station in there? A colleague of mine is modelling that and she would love to have some more views, especially of the sphere in the middle...

There are no blueprints of the space station - unfortunately - only two smaller pictures and a large concept drawing.
    But they show nicely that the central sphere is mostly transparent and exposing the inner structure, levels, decks, whatever to direct sunlight.
    Update - Time...

I remodeled almost the complete secondary hull and added much more detail then I had before - especially in the hangar-section. Apart from some elements of the dish, almost everything is new.

In the comparison chart, it doesnA’t seem that much has changed :mad:, but itA’s the loads of tiny things in the general shape and the details that required a rebuild.

And I will not throw away the cage this time - in fact I modeled most of the small elements directly into the cage. Only the windows will be cut out later once the texturing has been done.

Next week IA’ll tackle the saucer. I hope this will not require a complete rebuild... :rolleyes:

Tobias
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    I have noticed by watching the new movie about 15 times that the Nacelle Intercoolers (dual) at the end of each nacelle are segmented in three spots that when at warp, raise up and glow that signature blue when the engines are at full power. They retract back to a flush position when warp is disengaged, see the scene where the Enterprise warps into the rings of saturn at the end of movie. I noticed that none of the new models (toys) have this feature as well as the many of the new models and renderings that have come out. It would be great to see this integrated into the mods. Tobias, your model is outstanding. Thanks for the hard work.

Chris
    Further to my original post, here is a screenshot (found on web) of the intercoolers. Also, notice the blue glow at the "neck or spine" that connects the edge of the bridge to the impulse engines. I noticed this in the movie from various angles, Kelvin did not have the feature. Nice connecting detail, the glow just seems to add to the overall appearance.
    75754.jpg
    Another screenshot of the fleet ready to head to Vulcan. See intercoolers at the bottom right of the image...

Chris
    75755.jpg
    Thanks - and yes, I have the intercoolers of the warp engines already cut out - for future use - but with no internal elements yet. This will probably be the last element I do, as it is not needed for normal beauty shots.
  • trekkitrekki970 Posts: 1,429Member
    Hi Tobias.
    Cool, es sind wirklich die kleinen Dinge die das Schiff in "neuer" Form zeigen.
    Ich bin echt gespannt wie das fertige Schiff aussieht.
    Grus
    Wow, I should just give up on modeling mine. It will never look that good! Amazing.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    You are an animal dude... it looked fantastic before, I would have been afraid to touch it...
    Tobias,

Great to hear about the details. Not being picky, just with such a detailed and precise model, I am sure that you are open to suggestions to make it perfect and even more sublime. The Art of Star Trek book has been released, excellent illustrations of the re-design along with some of the more esoteric detailing. Thanks again for your efforts...

Chris
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    ILM eat your heart out.

The finished model + a rapid prototyper = GREATEST TOY EVER!
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    The only nitpick I'd have with her is the curve of the underside of the hull, the same u-shaped curve that forms the underside lip of the shuttlebay follows the rest of the secondary hull, making the entire underside curved, except, of course, the cut out. And excellent job on that by the way. The entire hull looks great, even if you can't adjust it any further. And the nacelles, of course, are still top notch. You shouldn't have to rebuild the saucer, I think that was one thing you got pretty much spot on originally.

EDIT: Johnny...also the most EXPENSIVE toy ever. ;)
    Thanks - as for the curve - the whole hangar/pylon base was one of the reason why I choose to rebuild it. The lines should fit the ILM model pretty much - it starts round at the hangar and then gets a bit flatter towards the cutout. ItA’s a pretty smooth transition and my angles might not show that. But IA’ll make sure IA’ll recheck that first thing monday morning. The good thing is that I can still tweak those areas without too much pain at the moment. Once textures and windows are permanently in, this wonA’t be that easy.

Tobias
  • largolargo331 Posts: 0Member
    Truly an amazing work. I loved the new movie but my complaint was that you never got a good look at the Enterprise, your renders show what a beauty the ship is. Your relentless work to make your model match it just amazing.
    The only funny/sad thing about the model is I haven't seen it released anywhere, unlike versions of your Kelvin. So you see these wonderfully rendered Kelvins...and these not as great Enterprises...ah well!

Keep up the AMAZING work, man!
    largo wrote: »
    Truly an amazing work. I loved the new movie but my complaint was that you never got a good look at the Enterprise, your renders show what a beauty the ship is. Your relentless work to make your model match it just amazing.
    The only funny/sad thing about the model is I haven't seen it released anywhere, unlike versions of your Kelvin. So you see these wonderfully rendered Kelvins...and these not as great Enterprises...ah well!

Keep up the AMAZING work, man!

That's because no one has made an effort to model a super accurate version like this one. I think it really speaks to the general dislike of the design that no one on here besides a handful of folks have tried to model this ship. No decently accurate version is publically avaliable, or probably even in existence except for Tobias'.

I am attempting to model the ship myself, which you can see in the WIP thread in my sig, but my modeling skills are still at the beginner level, so it is a struggle. The secondary hull is gonna kill me.

Speaking of which, Tobias, would you mind posting a wireframes of your secondary hull/nacelles, perhaps before smoothing? It may help me model those areas.
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work Tobias, really coming along nicely.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    I notice that you still use that segmented sphere on the bussard collector.
    There is actually a grid underneath the glass-sphere.
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    That's because no one has made an effort to model a super accurate version like this one. I think it really speaks to the general dislike of the design that no one on here besides a handful of folks have tried to model this ship. No decently accurate version is publically avaliable, or probably even in existence except for Tobias'.

Tons of "ugly" ships have been done by fans over the years, for every franchise. Aesthetic mileage varies.

To me, the biggest reason not many have attempted this is because it's so damn complex, plus there's very few accurate or official references at this point.

tobias, though, is setting the bar for this version of the 1701. The modeling, if not the ship, is gorgeous.
    Thanks for the hints regarding the lower end and the nacelle caps. I changed the curvature on the back, it should now fit pretty good. Nacelle caps are also remodelled with that strange grid. I hope I got it right :)

For those interested, I also added views of the secondary hull cages.

Tobias
    Thanks for those wireframes Tobias. They should prove helpful. :)
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, the secondary hull looks perfect there. And I really like the new bussard caps. Do you plan on modelling the internal structure for that?

And Mariner's probably right. It's not so much that people despise the ship(though some do for some weird reason), it's that it's a very complex model, especially in the secondary hull, and there's little official reference for it. It doesn't help that Paramount lied about the Starship Simulator on the Blu-Ray. "360 degree tour of the ship" my butt.
    That's looking excellent, are you going to put the 'lip' on the nacelle cover at the front of the nacelle?
    Thanks - what do you mean with the "lip", Andy?
    Thanks - what do you mean with the "lip", Andy?

I'll send you picture ....
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    This is even more fantastic than before. :) I'm going to have to build version 5 of my model, after all. :)
    One more update - modelling changes are done, saucer has been updated. Fortunately, I could reuse almost all of my previous elements with some reshaping. Most of the time went into the bridge base that goes down to the impulse engine, as this was quite a bit different. Plus I made new phaserbanks...:D

Next will be uv-mapping, not much to show there, IA’ll post updates of the texturing phase.

Tobias
  • TallguyTallguy354 Posts: 468Member
    I for one am intensely interested in your UV mapping. (Seriously.)
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    damn great work here! I always liked the new design of the good old lady ...

can't wait for more :)

Chris :)