Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Max 2009 + FFD + Win7

Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
Hi all,
i have to modify a lot of shapes (enabled in viewport and render) with an FFD modifier to adjust them over a curved surface. I used a FFD box modifier (set to 8 x 6 x 2) but it's impossible to work...the viewport is really really slow.
I don't know what's wrong....
Post edited by Davide_sd on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    2009 is probebly whats wrong
    2009 and 2010 are bugged to hell. and the viewports really really slow.

Anyway win7 only came out this week there might be a few unreported driver issues give it a couple of months and download latest drivers
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't use Max, but I'd check to see if you can switch viewport rendering modes between DirectX and OpenGL and try the one that it isn't using. If this is complete nonsense, I apologise :D
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Actually, that may be right. As far as I know, in newer versions of max the directX mode can get reallly buggy (when I switched to it I was getting only a few fps even from a simple model and couldn't alter the mesh without getting weird results). However, the main problem here might be windows 7 - my friend was trying to run max on it but none of the options seemed to be working correctly. It was so laggy literally nothing worked.
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    Actually, that may be right. As far as I know, in newer versions of max the directX mode can get reallly buggy (when I switched to it I was getting only a few fps even from a simple model and couldn't alter the mesh without getting weird results). However, the main problem here might be windows 7 - my friend was trying to run max on it but none of the options seemed to be working correctly. It was so laggy literally nothing worked.

i also think this problem it's due to win7...
    Anyway, do you know if there are some other methods to place all the tubes you see in the pic below on the orange surface?
    74096.jpg
    test.jpg 102.7K
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    I would probably just bend them and/or taper :shiner: However, that wouldn't be right 100% ... you can always send it over to someone with (properly working) max and just merge the result :)
    the second one is a good option!
    here is the file, if someone want to help me....
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Perhaps you could use a Conform modifier to wrap the pipes around the orange surface?
    unfortunately the Conform tool isn't enabled.
    problem solved...all the splines (about 150) were enabled in viewport...i disabled that option and finally it works smoothly. So it was an hardware problem! now i've to adjust some spline here and there...
    Thanks for the help!
  • ViperViper1691 Posts: 717Administrator
    I was going to say that I'm using 3ds max 2010 with Win7 and have no problems whatsoever.