Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    So VERY SWEET Tobias!! :thumb: Great work, man!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Sweet renders, although there is one thing that looks odd: the shadows being cast by the extra layer on the neck. The windows don't cast a shadow and hence it looks like the neck isn't solid.

Looking forward to seeing her in renders!
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks to your nice comments. Even I am beginning to like the model :)

zilla - IA’ve noticed that on the QMX model. But until I see that on the "real" model, I will not incorporate is. The hangar area with all the lights is still a little WIP, as I have only the QMX model as reference. IA’m sure once the movie comes out and more pics are available IA’ll have to adjust a few minor things.

koloth - Not sure what you mean. The windows all do cast shadows.
  • Wonderful work. Looking forward to the animation!
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I've attached an annotated version to show what I'm talking about.
    Ah, I see - that shouldnA’t happen of course. Thanks for watching out!
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    I didn't even notice until koloth pointed it out.

BTW Tobias, new poster of the Enterprise shows how the bussards glow. Kinda what I was expecting, a more subdued effect that the super bright ones of the past ships. PO829.jpg
    Funny - thatA’s almost exactly how I made them. Got lucky this time...
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Should have been more like this.

xi_tos.jpg
  • yotsuyayotsuya177 Posts: 13Member
    Funny - thatA’s almost exactly how I made them. Got lucky this time...

What's really funny is that I thought it WAS yours. I glanced at the pic without reading it and I thought it was a new wallpaper from you. You have done an excellent job.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Should have been more like this.

xi_tos.jpg

This looks nice. I like this color scheme for the deflector and the bussard collectors.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Now you gotta render us up a shot to match it!
    Bleh. Sorry PixelMagic, that doesn't catch my eye the same way. Maybe I'm biased because blue's my favorite color. >.>
    Heh, yeah, I was just trying to make it more TOS.

The blue deflector is fine, but I really wish the ramscoops were red.
    I dunno, i think im liking the jjprise more and more; it grows on you. or maybe its just tobias's awesome modeling skills....
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    I like pixels color scheme too!
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    I like the blue on blue better, to be honest. Like I've said before, it's new and different, and the red bussards on Starfleet vessels has been done to death, aside from the Ent-B and maybe one or two other ships.
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    You can see the TMP inspiration from the aztec panelling but with those huge glass baubles on the nacelles you just seem to get an expectation of them to light up with a swirly orange light show.
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Precisely. You expect them to, so they don't. Which is nice, I think.
    The new team seems quite capable of dishing out the unexpected. Such as actually showing the destruction of Romulus in full glorious CGI.
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    I still ask myself what's so hard about keeping stuff the way it is? We all agree it's not important for the casual human being. And blue is the new red. But fact is: on the original they were RED (don't come with the "it's not, it's actually orange-yellowish-flickering-rotating-blinking", it's RED :devil:). So why change it to blue? I mean there won't be more or less people in the theater because of blue bussards. They keep even the aztec pattern on the saucer but not the color of the bussards? What's going on in the designer's mind? ;)

LOL. Probably this will be part of their canon-trickery. For the whole movie, as long as Nero is playing games with the timeline, it will be blue bussards. And then the timeline will be 'restored' and the bussards will be red. :thumb:
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    I wonder if the die hard TOS fans were saying simular things when TMP came out.
    Things like "Why are there giant blue glowing grills?!?" and "A blue deflector, what happened to the dish?"

Designs change, that's fine, it's still essentially the same ship, still has the same mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no fanboy has gone before. So what is the problem? They made a sweet ship, looks good, looks functional, like new BSG.

And now, back to Tobias' ship, spectacular.
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    Dunno. Where there even die hard TOS fans by that time? ;)

But there's still the difference between progression and well, whatever this is. The TMP Enterprise was not supposed to be the same old TOS Enterprise, so any change was a move forward, and not a "contradiction".

I don't even like TOS. The TOS Enterprise has graceful lines, but then again it's as cheap looking as the cardboard sets, and it would have looked horrible on the big screen. And yet the 2009 Enterprise managed to kill the graceful lines , make it wonderfully detailed at the same time, and do stuff I don't understand, like the bussard color for instance. So in the end, I like the new ship even less than the original. ;)
    I gotta disagree with you mate, (damn those british slang habits!!) I saw a couple of episodes of TOS, mostly "remastered" eps, but i couldnt like it at all. the 'remasterd ent" looked kinda like a juiced up version of the original, but it still looks dated. the whole damn thing was made with a penny-pinching budget. Truth is, i cant stand to watch much of anything from the sixties; its just too far out of my comprehension. I decided i like the new jjprise, its sleek, and its got the modern look which makes me dislike the original one even more. I still have a healthy respect for the ol' girl, but i prefer the newer, fancier and flashier stuff myself. as long as its got good story, that is
  • yotsuyayotsuya177 Posts: 13Member
    It's all a matter of preference. I liked the proportions and layout of the TOS enterprise, none of which changed for TMP and mutated to sleeker design as the timeline progressed. This jjprise looks like a comic book design. I don't like it. It has a certain elegance, but for me they changed too many of the basic design principles, particularly the nacelles being so close together. The only saving grace is that this is not the old Enterprise but an alternate timeline Enterprise. This movie will occupy, for me, the same place the Mirror universe does, a sideline to the real story.

As for the TOS Enterprise being dated, the appearance of the Defiant alongside the Mirror NX-01 proved to me that the design is not dated. It is clean and smooth and still carries well. The only reason we feel the design is dated is because we've seen it for over 40 years. My favorite Trek ships are still TMP Enterprise and Excelsior. I don't think the jjprise compares to the designs of Jeffries, Probert, George, Sternback, or McQuarrie. It lacks something.

That said, this thread has helped me appreciate it more that I did. That first image was a horrible first impression. Tobias has done a fantastic job.
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    In regards to the Defiant and Mirror NX-01, is they had changed the look of the Defiant, all the fans would stop watching the show. Also, you really think they had the time and budget to do a redesign for a TV show?

I like the new ship, I know I may be in the minority of fans, but she looks elegant, aggressive, AND like she has mass, which has been lacking for a while.

If nothing else, the new JJverse will give us out there some new ideas for TOS era ship designs.
    If they had kept the utilitarian look of the Kelvin and carried on with that design aesthetic to the new Enterprise...I think we would have ended up with something quite nice.
    Do we need to keep arguing over whether the design looks good or not? This is what we have. Get used to it or move on, please. It's tiring. This thread is about Tobias's recreation of the movie model. Which is awesome and keeps getting better.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I agree with shadowknight's comment; let's not forget that this thread is supposed to be about Tobias' model, not the debate over changes in production design or the color of Bussard Collectors. Let's get back on course.

Tobias, every time I see new images of your model I become more enamored with this design. You have done such an amazing job of capturing the new ship and I find myself wondering if we'll get as good a look at it in the new movie as we have here. Something tells me that you may have surpassed the intentions of both designer Ryan Church and the ILM VFX team.

And now, because I am a fanboy at heart, there's something I just have to ask. Looking at your images and seeing where the warp pylons meet the secondary hull, I wonder how a functional hangar bay fits into what seems to be a VERY small space. I'm very interested to see how (or if) they reconcile that.