Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    zillabeast wrote: »
    I...dont, actually. Please, do point.

On the first image of the enterprise heading towards the wreckage of the kelvin.

Under the shuttlebay, on the scooped out area you can see the addition of spot lights running along. They are highlighting two rectangular holes.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771408 PNWPosts: 763Member
    Unimatrix wrote: »
    On the first image of the enterprise heading towards the wreckage of the kelvin.

Under the shuttlebay, on the scooped out area you can see the addition of spot lights running along. They are highlighting two rectangular holes.

I see what you're talking about. it does look like a pair of launchers to me as well.

ENTTorp.jpg
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    WOW - what a trailer. Surely the best trek trailer IA’ve ever seen - and one of the best even non-trek.

IA’ve been busy all weekend trying to get all the new things into my E. Who would have guessed the amount of detail in the bottom of the secondary hull. I also redid the impulse engine and tons of detail all over the place.

So, here are some shots and new orthos...

Tobias
  • DNA-1842DNA-18420 Posts: 0Member
    That looks much more complete somehow...

Great job! As always...
  • Very nicely updated. After that trailer, even a few of the hardcore fanboy ''bashers'' over at Star Trek Phase II are starting to line up for the Kool-Aid. Either way, for good or bad, which we won't know until May, ''the times, they are a-changin'.''

Could you post a full-view 3-quarter low-angle L-to-R (maybe on black and against a planet)? I'm thinking of the wonderful beauty shot in STIITWOK at the end after Kirk and his son reconcile, after which we see probably the most beautiful shot of the Enterprise in all of Star Trek as she flies off from the ''Genesis planet'' to Kirk's voice over ''...all is well, and yet I can't help wondering about the friend I leave behind...''

In looking at the L.A. Arclight Cinemas practical model, it's obvious that from certain angles this new beastie can look ''ugly.'' Hey, everyone in Hollywood has their ''good side'' and ''bad side'' photographically. In the trailer, though, overall, she looked impressive and has people drawing comparisons to the STTMP design, which sported ''different'' nacelles in comparison to the TOS design at the time. Strangely enough, those ''new'' nacelles in STTMP looked like the warp engines on the TOS Klingon D-7 battlecruiser turned upside down.

Even though this new trailer seems to have removed much of the ''mystery'' of the new Enterprise, I think we're all still interested in seeing some more stuff from you on this, Tobias. Great work!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Geez! Tobias, has anyone ever informed you that you are insane? :D nice job, looking forward to seeing your expression in may, when it turns out the ent used in the trailer was designed to throw off the drooling fanboys, and they ended up re-using the TMP Ent, or took Gabe's design and ran with it :lol:

Sweet job as always! :THUMB:
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Just FYI, the model shown at the ArcLight cinema that I linked to earlier is taken from the digital model, so it is essentially the BEST reference at this point.

Looks great there Tobias!
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Very nice work, Tobias. Fantastic.

Any chance of a public release like the Kelvin? I'd LOVE to convert this over to Max like I did with your Kelvin.
    I used the Quantum Mechanix model as reference as well. This seems to be very accurate, but even they got some minor lighting things wrong (e.g. the bottom saucer lights) - which is probably due to the nature of a physical model of that size.

Did anyone see the model in person? How big is it? If somebody could snap a closeup picture of the hangar bay and the part between bridge and impulse engine, thatA’ll be great, as these are the parts that IA’m not quite sure of.

I am still wondering about the glow on the nacelles. In the trailer, the front is almost dark (just a hint of a blue glow) - even in mid-warp.
  • OneBuckFilmsOneBuckFilms171 Posts: 0Member
    That was fast !!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Very very very nice..I save every picture you post onto my hard drive.

Yeah its hard to tell about the glow, but do you plan on including the fans seen in the teaser?
    I think it would help the look of the caps a lot.

The darkness in the front may actually be because that is where all the fans meet together, so theres not a lot of space to show through.
  • rms8_347rms8_347333 Posts: 48Member
    Is it me, or does it look as if the Kelvin saucer is substantially larger than the E's in that first screen cap a few pages ago?
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann826 Posts: 1,389Member
    Yeah, the Kelvin is HUGE, apparently.

Love the models, also save them all.

BTW, dug "Digital Ghost," I particularly love the holo-screen but if he ever does it again, or if ANY of you do it, gotta throw in the blinkies. This is Trek, after all.

Chris
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    That saucer in the screencap isn't the Kelvin's, but it still must be pretty large if it's got a crew of 800 (or they're crammed in like sardines). The original 1701 only had about 400, I think.
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Actually, I think that saucer is the same size as the Enterprise's. And Star Trek crew numbers are all ridiculously low, they can support much larger crews very easily, so the 800+ on the Kelvin might be a little cramped, but certainly not crammed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Endeavour wrote: »
    Actually, I think that saucer is the same size as the Enterprise's. And Star Trek crew numbers are all ridiculously low, they can support much larger crews very easily, so the 800+ on the Kelvin might be a little cramped, but certainly not crammed.

Yeah when people see that scene they seem to forget about perspective (how it can fool you). I'd put money on that saucer being virtually the same size as the new Enterprise - probably a sister ship.

Great progress, though, Tobias!
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    The ship seen above Vulcan with the Enterprise is a Kelvin Type, it's easily distinguished when the saucer wreckage is below the ship, it has the forward windows that the Kelvin does. Also it's apparently called the USS Lowell.

And Tobias, the Quantum Mechanix Enterprise may have some odd lighting, but the model is accurate as they made it from scans of ILM's CGI model of the ship. And from what I read, it's a pretty big model.
  • ElectronElectron171 Posts: 0Member
    This is a link to the model on the Quantum Mechanix website. If it doesn't work, cut and paste it. Hope it helps.
    Star_Trek
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    This is awesome! I wish mine looked this good. :)
  • theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, here's the CGI schematic I promised everyone... will be doing the USS Kelvin as well soon! Thanks Tobias :thumb:

tn_Enterprise1701-new_schematic.jpg
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like you've got a lot of reworking to do on the engineering hull as a result of the latest images... Still, you got pretty close without decent references :)
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias, the work you've done here stuns me every time I see new images. You've done more to help increase the acceptance of the new Enterprise design than the film-makers themselves. They should be very grateful to you for that.

So, how big of a deal with the devil do I have to make to get a MAX or 3ds version of her? I am so jonesin' to play with this model!

Again Tobias, excellent, awe-inspiring work. Can't wait to see more.
    spudmonkey - I already made all the adjustments to the secondary hull. The curvature below the pylons might still be a little bit off, but in order to change that IA’d probably have to rebuild the whole hull - so until I get really good reference shots of the actual CG model, I will leave it at that.

Buck - no Max or other conversion is planned for now, sorry.
    The curvature and the ridge that it creates along the body and down to the shuttle bay rum is what I was talking about. The link posted earlier (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/402611-post380.html) shows one of three physical models made directly from the CG model and so should be considered accurate in terms of the flow of the lines.

Still, as I said, a great job despite the lack of reference :)
  • OneBuckFilmsOneBuckFilms171 Posts: 0Member
    Unimatrix wrote: »

FYI ... That wreckage is not the Kelvin. Stills from that sequence indicate it may be something like the Mayflower, though the full name is not visible. :)
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    This looks awesome. Good work and thanks for sharing!
    Yep, thatA’s what IA’m talking about. Curvature from hell :devil:. IA’ve tweaked my model as far as possible without getting into bumpy poly hell. ItA’ll have to do for now, but I plan to rework that secondary hull as soon as IA’m done with the animation.

Three models? I know of the the toy and the Quantum Mechanix model - what else is out there?

Tobias

spudmonkey wrote: »
    The curvature and the ridge that it creates along the body and down to the shuttle bay rum is what I was talking about. The link posted earlier (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/402611-post380.html) shows one of three physical models made directly from the CG model and so should be considered accurate in terms of the flow of the lines.

Still, as I said, a great job despite the lack of reference :)
    There are three identical models cut from the CG model. One is the one on that website. The other two were painted by other people, so one is in UPS livery and the other is, um, random, sort of based on a graffiti style
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Buck - no Max or other conversion is planned for now, sorry.

I didn't really think so, but a guy can dream, can't he? :(

Can't wait to see the animation of this beautiful model. if it's even close to the animation of the Kelvin you did, we're all in for a very special treat.