Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    I have to be honest--I'm not feeling at all what you describe as ''fanboy'' talk going on here--or on this forum overall. The frequently meticulous discussion on details like bussards and colors here in particular has a far different meaning behind it versus other forums, which truly are fan-oriented and often obsessed with trivial minutiae. Here it pertains to accuracy in design by professionals and their work. I can so relate to this a ''painter of words.''

It's fascinating for me to observe the detective work going into the study of the trailers and other images--very few up to this latest trailer--and watch it evolve.
    No, you're right, its more of a professional deconstruction than a fanboi rant, but i am trying to make a point here, even if you have a good and logical reason for this discussion, its still fiction, and even the best of us can get carried away ;)
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    homer... this is a message board dedicated to science fiction and digital artwork, strongly Star Trek concentrated by the way, and you're surprised that its members are giving "a damn if that red blinking light on the back left of the saucer is an engine or a toaster"? ;)

You don't go to a martial arts forum and start wondering about all the bitching about unrealistic fights or fighting style screw ups in movies. ;)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Mr. Wilde wrote: »
    homer... this is a message board dedicated to science fiction and digital artwork, strongly Star Trek concentrated by the way, and you're surprised that its members are giving "a damn if that red blinking light on the back left of the saucer is an engine or a toaster"? ;)

You don't go to a martial arts forum and start wondering about all the bitching about unrealistic fights or fighting style screw ups in movies. ;)
    Well, when you put it that way....:D
    just look at my post count, ive been around awhile, i was here before "the crash" even, im not surprised in the least. Were all scifi fans, obviously, with a lot of skilled artists. :cool: I wouldnt be here if i didnt have a strong interest in trek myself!

I was just saying, thats all! :p
  • farshotfarshot171 Posts: 0Member
    You are not your post count...

TMP Enterprise had blue bussards, so why not this?
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, the hotwheels collection has me scratching my head too. In the official description, the ships are said to be 8 inches wide, by 4.5 inches long by 4.5 inches tall. Either way you look at it, that doesn't make sense. It's really out of proportion, even if you count the stand. And if it really is 4.5 inches long, paying 15 bucks just doesn't seem worth it to me for something that size.

That measurement might make sense for the Bird of Prey, but definitely not the two Connies. I think that must be an estimated average size, cause I don't see any other way for that to make sense.

As for bussard collector color, I really think that the Hot Wheels image is of a prototype, especially since the other Enterprise(the A) image seems to have a misaligned registry and also has the uneven nacelle problem. Unfortunately, unless/until Intel puts the Enterprise up on their site like they did with the Kelvin, we'll have to wait until the movie comes out for confirmation on the nacelle glows. The toy should be out next month, but it is Playmates, the same company who gave the Defiant a red deflector dish. I wouldn't count on that as being too accurate. :(
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    farshot wrote: »
    You are not your post count...

TMP Enterprise had blue bussards, so why not this?

Actually the TMP Enterprise had unlit, red tinted bussards but blue warp grills :)
  • yotsuyayotsuya177 Posts: 13Member
    Actually you are both wrong about TMP Enterprise Bussard's. They were black and unlit. Same for Reliant and Excelsior. No red, no blue, no color or light at all. TOS was orange with blue, red, green, and yellow lights and all the others have been red (well except for the Ent-B/Lakota which were blue, but those were tacked on and not part of the original design). TMP Enterprise bussard's are of a grill design instead of a dome design. Different mechanism for the same purpose.
  • WillDeckerWillDecker331 Posts: 0Member
    yotsuya wrote: »
    Actually you are both wrong about TMP Enterprise Bussard's. They were black and unlit. Same for Reliant and Excelsior. No red, no blue, no color or light at all. TOS was orange with blue, red, green, and yellow lights and all the others have been red (well except for the Ent-B/Lakota which were blue, but those were tacked on and not part of the original design). TMP Enterprise bussard's are of a grill design instead of a dome design. Different mechanism for the same purpose.

If the bussards are the black front grill on the nacelles of the TMP Enterprise, then what the heck are the orange domes on the side?
    WillDecker wrote: »
    If the bussards are the black front grill on the nacelles of the TMP Enterprise, then what the heck are the orange domes on the side?

Domes? You mean the almost flat against the hull grille? I think those are the collectors, but I'm not sure, but even so, the point is moot since they don't glow.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Besides, iirc, it's a dark copper-coloured grill on those side fixtures, not orange. (though it still tends to register as a black or very dark brown on the movie visuals) I always took the approach that the front black grills / glowy red domes were the Bussard field emitters, and the collecting was done by those copper side grills.
  • yotsuyayotsuya177 Posts: 13Member
    One thing I'd like to mention is that labeling them Bussard collectors did not happen until TNG was developed. Before that neither the FJ plans nor the TMP plans used that term. The TMP plans label the parts you are looking at, but only the front grille is termed in a manner that indicates they could be the Bussards. http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/star-trek-the-motion-picture-sheet-1.jpg

And also, are you referring to the original paint job on the model or after they had to repaint it for ST:V. As it was auctioned at Chistie's, the grills on the side are copperish/orangeish for the small forward side grills, grey for the longer outboard side grill and purpleish for the longer inboard side gille. the front gill still looks black or at least dark grey. The only picture I've found that shows the upper small dome glowing, it is blue.
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/officelegion/Star%20Trek/er-rear-beauty.jpg The picture clearly shows that this was one of the final lighting tests before they made the final changes (squared dome below the bridge and red impulse engines). I can't find ny images of the top of the Enterprise with the engines lit (when the upper dome would be turned on) after the ship was repainted. The cutaway diagram (painted for TMP and revised after ST:IV) shows that crystal being linked to sections that look like the intermix conduit found in engineering. Those sections are shown running back from the dome along the top of the nacelle. It was painted by Kimble. Star Trek USS Enterprise Cutaway | David Kimble
    Outside of my own opinions, that is all I have that I can document at the moment. I would say that the coloring has no bearing on the function. Copper was used on the TNG era models for the unlit color of the blue warp glow areas. As the small forward side grill doesn't glow, I would say it is not part of the Bussard system. I would say only the front grills are. The side grills and the upper dome are part of the warp drive itself, not the bussard collection system. But that is only my opinion. Take a look at the links and see what you think.
    Back to the JJ-Prise before this goes too far off topic. Here's a shot of the QMx model from the side, really shows off the inner grilles of the nacelles.
    66141.jpg
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Shadownight, where did you get that picture, and are there more?
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    Back to the JJ-Prise before this goes too far off topic. Here's a shot of the QMx model from the side, really shows off the inner grilles of the nacelles.

For some reason I've just had the image of a turtle rearing it's head under it's shell.

Kind of looks like what the saucer is doing :P
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Shadownight, where did you get that picture, and are there more?

Someone on Bridge Commander Central posted them, I don't know where he got them, but here's one from the side and a bit towards the top, and one above from aft.
    66145.jpg66146.jpg
    Thanks ShadowKnight. Is that all the images that were posted? If not, can you link me to the original thread? I am on that website, but cannot find the post with the model images.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish10417 Posts: 5,413Member
    Mr. Wilde wrote: »

not to mention this is someones 3dWIP thread and not GD
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Thanks ShadowKnight. Is that all the images that were posted? If not, can you link me to the original thread? I am on that website, but cannot find the post with the model images.

baz1701 posted them in his JJPrise WIP thread. I asked him and he pointed me to this Flicker photo set: Star Trek XI Arclight Model Display - a set on Flickr
  • black campbellblack campbell0 Posts: 0Member
    go to quantummechanix.com -- it's the same guys that have done the maps of the verse for firefly, etc. they've got a feature on this...
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    A colleague and myself fixed the secondary hull - the curvature should resemble now the actual model much closer - but it was a real pain to fix :devil:

I also changed a lot of detail all over the ship - based on the new reference of the QM model.

IA’m pretty much done with the animation - of course IA’ll have to rerender a lot of stuff with the updated E, but more important is to get the edit done so the sound guys can get to work.

Tobias
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Well done sir.
    Fantastic. Looks just like the ILM one. Bravo.
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    great work!
  • OneBuckFilmsOneBuckFilms171 Posts: 0Member
    Very, very nice !!!!
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    That is nice!!
    Whew, that is gorgeous! Are you sure you're not a Borg that's assimilated ILM? :p
  • bobafettbobafett0 Posts: 0Member
    What an amazing job you have done on her and the Kelvin - inspires us all to do great work. Bloody fantastic!
  • RekkertRekkert4338 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,335Member
    WOW, man, this is a great model!!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • zillabeastzillabeast335 Posts: 28Member
    Nice, I guess all the shuttlebay needs is the corny streched out copper-colored Starfleet emblem across and you've got 'er.
    zillabeast wrote: »
    Nice, I guess all the shuttlebay needs is the corny streched out copper-colored Starfleet emblem across and you've got 'er.

I really think that was just a poor painting job on behalf of QMx, I doubt that's really there.