Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper MK2 Sharp Corners

• PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I've had the same troubles with the cockpit area that you did, interesting to see someone else's solutions. Looks like you've got it just right. :)
  • under9starsunder9stars0 Posts: 0Member
    ST-One wrote: »
    This looks really good. :)

Thanks, ST-One! I hope it does with all the effort I am putting in this one.
    Pearse wrote: »
    I've had the same troubles with the cockpit area that you did, interesting to see someone else's solutions. Looks like you've got it just right. :)

Thanks for the input, Pearse. I have to say, one of the biggest challenges on this project has been interpreting some of the references. It would be sooo much easier to do this project if there were more definitive and thorough refs. As it is now, I have collected about 50 images of live models from the net and some images from the show, meshes done by other people, and whatever else I can find. I have started watching my DVDs again to scan for good shots too.
    Same here, although I'm starting to get to the point where I can't be bothered to keep to the references, which is unlike me. I'm usually pretty meticulous in recreating whatever I'm making as accurately as I can, but some details have got the better of me. The tips of the wings and the area around the cockpit have been particularly difficult, so I'm just going to make them as good as I can for the moment and come back to them when I'm a better modeler. If I don't move on, then I'll just get frustrated and give up on it altogether.
    Hi Fleet,

This is just an update. Finding that in this model, since I am trying to make it as accurate as possible, that at least 4 revisions per section is mandatory. Thought I was done with the canopy when I noticed that triangular ridge on the back area which I imagine is a handle. Spent this weekend on the interior of the side. That went pretty well. The hardest part was the the ridged curve piece that looks sort of like a car amp.

So, I feel pretty good about me doing this model as a subD model. So far, I have avoided any tris or n-gonsA—I hope I did not just hex myself.

BTW, ashamed to admit this, but, anyone else notice that there are no navigation thruster holes on any of the life size props?
    55918.jpg55923.jpg
    I had to rework the front of the canopy so it conformed to the fuselage, and I observed that it was not as accurate as I thought. I am happy with it now.

Tonight, I created the holes in the nose for the thrusters. That went pretty well. Had to create some additional bands and do some edge and vertex sliding to get the geo prepared. Starting to look like a functional viper!
    56111.jpg56112.jpg
    1.jpg 31.1K
    2.jpg 117.9K
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Lookin' fine there.
    I've noticed there are a few differences between the two full size Viper props that can make it a bit confusing when you're using them as reference. It's mostly stuff around the cockpit. Looks like there are two different cockpit canopies, one with five rivets and one with very many. I went with the five rivet one just like you. :) One of the Vipers also looks like it has an extra seam around the cockpit, that's missing on the other, and the rescue point circles are decals at the beginning of the series but have been switched for fuel caps later on.

With all the research you've done you probably already knew that, but just to confirm that someone else noticed... :p Your canopy looks just right to me, anyway. I was surprised at how fiddly it was, but once it's all done you can finally see your Viper coming together.
    Pearse wrote: »
    I've noticed there are a few differences between the two full size Viper props that can make it a bit confusing when you're using them as reference. It's mostly stuff around the cockpit. Looks like there are two different cockpit canopies, one with five rivets and one with very many. I went with the five rivet one just like you. :) One of the Vipers also looks like it has an extra seam around the cockpit, that's missing on the other, and the rescue point circles are decals at the beginning of the series but have been switched for fuel caps later on.

With all the research you've done you probably already knew that, but just to confirm that someone else noticed... :p Your canopy looks just right to me, anyway. I was surprised at how fiddly it was, but once it's all done you can finally see your Viper coming together.

Hi Pearse,

Yeah, I noticed the rivets on the life size viper from the season 3 finale and decided to go with the earlier version. I figured it would not be a problem to add those rivets later if I changed my mind. Looks like they added some details that make the viper look more believable in design. However, the new viper is still missing the thruster holes. I guess they figured they wanted to keep some of the mistakes consistent.:) Hehe, maybe they will throw them in for the season 4 finale.

I think this weekend I will start on the top engine. It gets more exciting as the progress continues!
    Been meaning to post an update. I started the wings this week. I expected the worst since I was warned about them being harder than they look. I have found that everything has been harder than it looks. I have to admit, some things, like the top fin have been pleasantly easier than expected. The hardest thing about this model, absolutely and overall, has been trying to interpret the darn references and identifying the differences from the life size prop to the CG model. Let me tell you, there are many. So many times have I had to go back and add something or redo it because a detail or some info was revealed later by coming across more references or noticing something that I didn't before. So, advice to anyone, spend that extra time to study your refs and understand as much as possible what you are seeing.
    57118.jpg
    The part I found most difficult to model on the wing is the tip with the running lights. The way the cylindrical shape merges seamlessly with the rest of the wing structure was just too hard for me to do in the end. I've resolved to go back to that when I'm better at modeling. Do you have a plan for that area?

I agree about the top fin, by the way. It's got to be the easiest part of the ship to do.
    Hi Pearse,

I spent the last couple of days building the wing, and yes, the tip was the hardest part. The running lights did prove challenging at first. I knew I wanted to merge two cylinders to the rough wing structure by using some of Modo's boolean tools and then rolling up my sleeves to make cuts and join up parts vertices, and do a lot of clean up. I failed the first time because the base cylinders I used only had eight sides, which is enough to create a beautiful rounded result in subD in most cases, but because of the funny placement of these shapes, I found that cranking up the sides to 24 gave me the geometry I needed to make a successful automatic and manual union. This part of the model really took some time and patience. As always, looking over the references over and over and over again was essential. I still feel like there are some parts I had to do some guessing on, but what I came up with make sense. Like you said, better to do the best you can and not get held up on perfection. We can always revisit. I have to say, this model might be finished by now if there was not so much trouble interpreting the images.
    57186.jpg57187.jpg
    1.jpg 232.9K
    2.jpg 110.4K
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Check your PMs :)

Good progress, keep it up, you're on the final straight now for modelling.
    Anyone have good refs of the engines, inside and out?
    I'll pm you some references I used.
    Just an update:

gun barrel
    landing gear bay and doors
    thruster
    revised fuselage and engine
    57713.jpg57714.jpg57715.jpg
    1.jpg 407.6K
    2.jpg 56.9K
    3.jpg 417.7K
  • RedSquareRedSquare0 Posts: 0Member
    @under9stars. Excellent progress your skills are much improving.
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    wow, great work! :thumb:
    now i want to create my viper...
    Thanks for the compliments!!!

Here are just some updates.
    58241.jpg58242.jpg58243.jpg
    1.jpg 156.6K
    2.jpg 152.4K
    3.jpg 161.7K
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    This is looking really great! I'm glad your sticking with it. As your finishing it up make sure that you start gathering texture reference images. The textures on this ship can make or break the final result. Keep up the great work!
    Modeling is finally done! Done to my satisfaction, that is. Thanks to all who took the time to look so far and helped out when asked. It is greatly appreciated and will be "paid forward". Next, of course, on to texturing!
    60102.jpg60103.jpg60104.jpg60105.jpg60106.jpg
    1.jpg 191K
    2.jpg 15.8K
    3.jpg 313.8K
    4.jpg 305K
    5.jpg 215.4K
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Some very nice work here. I'm impressed by the detailing on this ship.
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    very impressive. can't wait to see it finished! :thumb:
    Congrats on completing the modeling process. Does it take a long while to render?
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Kick A** Jeremy!

This looks really damn nice! I really like the detailing on the interior as well!

How about posting some final wireframes for everyone to see too?

Make sure you take your time with the textures as you did such a great job on the model you really want to compliment it with nice textures as well. :thumb::thumb:

Do you know if you are going for a more dirty look or cleaner newer ship look?
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    I notice the interior of the engine section is not right. i'll send you more ref for it if you wanna correct it. Just email me if you want them
    al3d wrote: »
    I notice the interior of the engine section is not right. i'll send you more ref for it if you wanna correct it. Just email me if you want them

Hi al3d,

Yes, please, if you notice something that is not quite right, please email me what you are talking about. It would be greatly appreciated, as always.

-Jeremy
    JeffrySG wrote: »
    Kick A** Jeremy!

This looks really damn nice! I really like the detailing on the interior as well!

How about posting some final wireframes for everyone to see too?

Make sure you take your time with the textures as you did such a great job on the model you really want to compliment it with nice textures as well. :thumb::thumb:

Do you know if you are going for a more dirty look or cleaner newer ship look?

Thanks Jeffry! I will certainly post some wires that I have. I might wait until I make whatever correction al3d spoke of.

As as far as texturing, I will probably do a clean version and a battle scarred version.

More to come soon.

-Jeremy
    Was really surprised that I could not find an official Primus Crest image anywhere. Thanks to Jeffry and al3d for sending me what they had. I did decide to create my own from scratch. I will post it here if anyone needs it or wants it.
    60651.jpg
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    maybe the hole for the legs is a bit small ?
    my knee is bigger than my fist
    joystick could be raised. a joystick located that low could produce serious spinal pains

i like the handbrake