Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper MK2 Sharp Corners

• under9starsunder9stars0 Posts: 0Member
    So, my heart dropped when al3d said that the interior of my engine was not right. So many times I called the modeling done on my viper only to find something small that I needed to fix. It has been a couple of weeks that I thought I was truly done, but I was mistaken. No problem though. It's not like I had t-shirts or posters printed and then found that something was not right.:-) Well, I know that my viper is not perfect. I decided from the start I would do the best job I could, based on what reference I could pull off the net or my DVDs, or what Jeffry or Alain sent me (thanks again!) to make it as "accurate" as possible, and I feel I came close, but I accept that there will be some little things here and there. Mostly, I was determined to challenge my modeling ability and not shy away from something that was difficult to model—basically, if there is something I missed or did inaccurately, it's not because I could not do it.

In waiting to connect with al3d, I revisited my refs and I was able to notice some things I had not before. One of them was the cone shape in the middle of the exhaust section. This was an important thing, so I definitely added that. (image 1)

The second thing I noticed was that the set prop viper's engine combustion section that you see in the side engine opening is offset from the exhaust center. (image 2) My assumption is that the viper's engines are supposed to operate like a jet engine and that the engine assembly would essentially be a cylindrical shape with varying diameter along the shape. The combustion section I built and placed is based of the same Z-axis as the exhaust section—and this makes sense to me. (image 3) However, I suppose if, once again, I was trying to make my viper as close to the refs as possible, I would make the engine in a way that was not realistic.

Anyway, I hope I did what al3d was hinting at and it would be good to hear feedback on the subject from all other viper pilots, or engineers.:-)
    60744.jpg60745.jpg60746.jpg
    1.jpg 44.5K
    2.jpg 128.2K
    3.jpg 129.3K
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know how engines in real life work, but when I was making my Viper I used the images on Al's site and from episodes as reference as well, and I got the impression that the cone shape went inwards, rather than outwards. That part of the engine is probably the toughest thing on the whole ship to get your head around, because most images of it are dark and only from a limited perspective. That's also a good reason why I just did the best I could and moved on. Like you, I was satisfied that if it wasn't accurate, it was beyond my control and not because I sucked at modeling. :)
    Pearse wrote: »
    I don't know how engines in real life work, but when I was making my Viper I used the images on Al's site and from episodes as reference as well, and I got the impression that the cone shape went inwards, rather than outwards. That part of the engine is probably the toughest thing on the whole ship to get your head around, because most images of it are dark and only from a limited perspective. That's also a good reason why I just did the best I could and moved on. Like you, I was satisfied that if it wasn't accurate, it was beyond my control and not because I sucked at modeling. :)

Thanks for your input, Pearse! Adding the cone was pretty easy. Yeah, I tell ya, this model probably would have been done months ago if there wasn't sooo much time spent looking for refs, going back and fixing something after finding more refs, and just looking at the same picture over and over again trying to figure out what I am looking at. I guess the good thing might be that if this were an official job, you would be granted certain access and privileges to refs in the beginning that would just allow you to start modeling with confidence.
    Congrats on completing the modeling process. Does it take a long while to render?

Sorry for the much delayed response to this, Pearse . . . but a render took between 15-20 min. I used GI with no lights, just a luminous material applied to 5 (top, sides, front and back) different planes. I am running a Duo Core 2.3 GHZ, 2GB RAM, and Nvidia GTS 8800 512 mb.
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    Well..now you have ALL the refence possible..:)..no reason for it not to be perfect..:)
    I guess the good thing might be that if this were an official job, you would be granted certain access and privileges to refs in the beginning that would just allow you to start modeling with confidence.

Even so, the show's cg model doesn't precisely match the real life mock ups (and shouldn't really have to), so your model is still at a fairly professional level of accuracy.
    Hey All,

Can someone provide me with the statement that it found within that dashed graphic on the fuselage of the viper? It seems to start by say not to stand in front of the cannons, or something like that. Also, there is that triangular graphic near the cockpit that I have not found refs to yet.

Thanks!!!

-Jerermy
    The one inside the dashed lines says

CAUTION
    DO NOT STAND IN
    FRONT OF CANNONS

CANNON LOCKS TO BE
    INSERTED BEFORE ACCESSING
    ORDINANCE PANEL

The triangular one has "DANGER" on the two lowest strips, with "EMERGENCY EJECTION POD" inside.
    Thanks Pearse!!!
    No problem. The USS Kelvin thread on here inspired me to go back to texturing my Mk II, so I've been looking at the references a lot. :)
    Hey Pearse,

Are you able to send me the ref pics of those things so I can add them to my library?

-Jeremy
    Sure, I'll send a PM in a sec.
    Sure, I'll send a PM in a sec.

Thanks, Pearse! It was good to be able to see the triangular labelA—making that one tonight. Thanks again!
    Yet another request.

Does anyone have any solid reference of the top hud display (or whatever you call it)?

Thanks, in advance.
    63828.jpg
  • Puddle_JumperPuddle_Jumper171 Posts: 0Member
    looks cool :cool:

im not an Battlestar fan but i think the viper is an cool looking fighter none the less

keep it up :thumb:
    BTW, here are some updates of my viper.

I have placed all of the decals, except for the cockpit instruments—I am still creating those. All of the decals I have created from scratch, some of which I am very proud. The Primus logo that I had posted and created earlier was totally created again last weekend because they were having an auction on Ebay for various BSG items and that was one of them, so it was a really good reference. I have been creating all of the cockpit computer screen graphics which I will post at some point. I made a "viper mk II font" based on lettering that Al3d sent me so I could just type out the various texts on the viper body rather than placing each letter. Keep in mind that the color saturation and pristine decaling is not final. I will be fading them and damaging the surfaces. I am about 85% done with UVing the whole ship so there will be plenty of grime. I am going to create various battle scorching and applying them to the ship in various places, just like the decals. More to come soon!
    63854.jpg63855.jpg63857.jpg
    fa.jpg 146.6K
    ba.jpg 466.9K
    fc.jpg 58.2K
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Looking very slick, Jeremy! Can't wait to see it dirtied up!
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    great work on this viper.
    can't wait to see it dirtied up! :thumb:
    looks cool :cool:

im not an Battlestar fan but i think the viper is an cool looking fighter none the less

keep it up :thumb:

Thanks, Ryan! I agree, the Mark II is a really cool looking fighter, definitely one of my new favorites. I think a lot of it is the beefy thrustersA—just makes it look cool. I did not have an interest in modeling the Mark I and the Mark VII doesn't really do it for me either. Thanks for looking!
    JeffrySG wrote: »
    Looking very slick, Jeremy! Can't wait to see it dirtied up!

Thanks, as always, for you encouragement, Jeffry! I look forward to giving this ship some experience.
    Davide_sd wrote: »
    great work on this viper.
    can't wait to see it dirtied up! :thumb:

Thanks, Davide. Soon to come!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    very great viper! good job! can't wait to see more!
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    This viper is a piece of art, no doubt! IA’m saving the renderings for future reference.
    ... I made a "viper mk II font" based on lettering that Al3d sent me so I could just type out the various texts on the viper body rather than placing each letter...

Can you share the fonts? IA’m building my own fighter, and I donA’t have the right fonts too. ;)

Keep doing the great work!:thumb:
    nilianth wrote: »
    very great viper! good job! can't wait to see more!

Thanks, Alexandre!
    Starship wrote: »
    This viper is a piece of art, no doubt! IA’m saving the renderings for future reference.

Can you share the fonts? IA’m building my own fighter, and I donA’t have the right fonts too. ;)

Keep doing the great work!:thumb:

Thanks for the compliments, Cassio!. I would be more than happy to pass the font I created on to you. Keep in mind that it is a Windows font and only types if you have Caps Lock on. I will also post some of the artwork I created, such as the updated Primus Crest and some of the cockpit instruments, in case you want or need them. I will post these later today or PM you. Thanks for looking!
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Thanks for the compliments, Cassio!. I would be more than happy to pass the font I created on to you. Keep in mind that it is a Windows font and only types if you have Caps Lock on. I will also post some of the artwork I created, such as the updated Primus Crest and some of the cockpit instruments, in case you want or need them. I will post these later today or PM you. Thanks for looking!

This will be much appreciated. In advance, a BIG thank you!:thumb:
    That's looking really good, much like the official pics, in fact.

I had to create my own font for my BSG models as well, as the font they use doesn't seem to be commercially available. Pretty much every letter of the alphabet has been used on screen in the font, though, so it's not too much bother to make a copy.
    That's looking really good, much like the official pics, in fact.

I had to create my own font for my BSG models as well, as the font they use doesn't seem to be commercially available. Pretty much every letter of the alphabet has been used on screen in the font, though, so it's not too much bother to make a copy.

Thanks for the compliment, Pearse! -that is quite a compliment.

Yeah, you would think because of the fan base of the show that they would offer up some of those useful items for fun, such as fonts and graphics. I guess it makes it all the more rewarding when we overcome obstacles.
    Hi all,

I need to post images of my current status, but I am happy to say I am nearing the end! I can't believe it. I want to do a semi-used version and then a battle scarred version.

Working on cockpit textures now: can anyone confirm what the "caution" message says on the left side of the cockpit. It goes something like "Caution: Selector switch must be set to manual, yada yada. . . .

Also, the three fuel type gauges that have red, green and yellow, have some wording. I think the text in the yellow says "cold start".

Any leads will be greatly appreciated!
    As promised, a couple wip renders of the texturing phase. Still plenty of tweaking to do, but I am getting there.
    65524.jpg65525.jpg