Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper MK2 Sharp Corners

124»

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    woaw, vey impressive job, textures are very great!
  • under9starsunder9stars0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, Alexandre. I still have a ways to go. I might have mentioned that I am going to do two versions: a slightly worn version and a heavily battle torn version. I am looking forward to really tearing it up!
  • PhaserPhaser0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi, under9stars. I just finished reading this thread, I must say, you've done an excellent job. To me, the fuselage of your Viper looks spot on, which I'm sure is no easy task.

I've dabbled in modeling (I have some experience with splines and basic shapes), but I don't know how to do complex surfaces like the fuselage of the Viper. That makes reading about your progress all the more inspiring! Thanks for a good read, and again, nice job!
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Looking good! Looking good!
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm. I guess all the new posts got overwritten when the database was rethingamajigged.

I think I said your model was the best fan made Mk II ever. The texturing looks bang on. :)
    Phaser wrote: »
    Hi, under9stars. I just finished reading this thread, I must say, you've done an excellent job. To me, the fuselage of your Viper looks spot on, which I'm sure is no easy task.

I've dabbled in modeling (I have some experience with splines and basic shapes), but I don't know how to do complex surfaces like the fuselage of the Viper. That makes reading about your progress all the more inspiring! Thanks for a good read, and again, nice job!

Thanks, Phaser. Indeed, the fuselage require a fair amount of tweaking before I got something I was happy with. If you take some decent time to setup good backdrop refs, even better, cross-sections, it is not as painful as you might think. Have the best refs you can get and giving great care to setting them up will save you potential hours of labor and/or frustration later
    JeffrySG wrote: »
    Looking good! Looking good!

Thanks, Jeffry! I always appreciate you encouragemnet!
    Pearse wrote: »
    Hmm. I guess all the new posts got overwritten when the database was rethingamajigged.

I think I said your model was the best fan made Mk II ever. The texturing looks bang on. :)

Thanks for the fantastic compliment, Pearse! I am happy with my progress, which is rare for me. :-)
    BTW, still hoping to find out the exact text in these areas of the cockpit. Not show are the 3 identical fuel gauges which contain the words "Cold Start".
    65957.jpg
    I found this image on the Resin Illuminati forums a while back. It's not close up enough to read the text on the flight checklist, but it might help confirm or deny any guesses you have.
    65982.jpg
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I've been watching this for a bit, Ican ewaly add anything other than what other people have said, but your mkII is very impressive...

Those renders at the top of the page are awsome..
    I found this image on the Resin Illuminati forums a while back. It's not close up enough to read the text on the flight checklist, but it might help confirm or deny any guesses you have.

That's a great pic, Pearse. Cool site it came from too. I wish there were more like that, and closer. Thanks a bunch for the reply!
    markmassey wrote: »
    I've been watching this for a bit, Ican ewaly add anything other than what other people have said, but your mkII is very impressive...

Those renders at the top of the page are awsome..

Thanks for the feedback, Mark! I really appreciate it. I have been experimenting with my grime maps and feel I am happy with what I have, so I will post some updates soon. Thanks again!
    On the BSG special that was just on this week there were a couple of shots of the inside of the cockpit. You might be able to find the special online and maybe download and do some screen grabs from it - if you still need some more ref. on the inside.
    Funnily enough, there was a shot of the flight checklist in the finale that looked like it was practically made just for under9stars. :)
    JeffrySG wrote: »
    On the BSG special that was just on this week there were a couple of shots of the inside of the cockpit. You might be able to find the special online and maybe download and do some screen grabs from it - if you still need some more ref. on the inside.

Thanks, Jeffry. I skimmed through that because I did not want to see any spoilers, but I will look through it again now.
    Funnily enough, there was a shot of the flight checklist in the finale that looked like it was practically made just for under9stars. :)

Hehe, thanks, Pearse. I did see that and happily completed that sign the next day. Jeesh, I wish all the reference I needed over the course of this project was that easy. Up until that point, I literally spent several hours, maybe more, surfing the internet for what took me a few minutes to create once I saw the finale. I have resolved to leave the rest on hold until one day I find out what the other things say.

For now, I am calling my first version of the viper mark 2 complete. I will work on battle scarred textures in parallel of my next projects: the hangar bay and a pilot.

Thanks so much for all your help!
    66316.jpg66317.jpg66318.jpg66319.jpg
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    outstanding work, really amazing! :thumb:
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    That's an amazing looking viper you have done:thumb:

I look forward to seeing the battle scarred version:D
    Davide_sd wrote: »
    outstanding work, really amazing! :thumb:

Thanks!
    Ice-Dragon wrote: »
    That's an amazing looking viper you have done:thumb:

I look forward to seeing the battle scarred version:D

Thank you! Yeah, I am going to take my time with painting the second version textures. My new focus will be the Galactica hangar bay. I am really excited to work on a new subject.
    I made a hangar bay a while back (which I'll get back to texturing eventually), let me know if there are any things you need extra reference material for. I went through practically every episode trying to get that nailed down. :)
    Thought I would throw up a couple of quick and dirty renders of my Hangar Bay 1 WIP. Sorry for the crappy lighting. I will make sure to improve that down the road.:-)
    68577.jpg68578.jpg
    hb1.jpg 112.7K
    hb2.jpg 81.2K
    Looking good so far!
    Looks spot on, great start!
    Hey all,

It's been too long.... Just wanted to touch base and post some renders from a while back of my BSG projects. Thanks again to this community for the support and help I received. :-)

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jeremy
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work there love the viper great detail its literally perfect
  • it's really nice to see people make a complete scene with models. What are you doing... an animation, BSG fan film, still pic? NICE work.
    aylaa12 wrote: »
    great work there love the viper great detail its literally perfect

Hey, thank you! A lot of hard work so far. Loving the show made it a labor of love, though.
    it's really nice to see people make a complete scene with models. What are you doing... an animation, BSG fan film, still pic? NICE work.

I'm not too crazy about animation. My primary intention was to have interesting subjects to improve my modeling and texturing skills. I see a hi-res print with the viper in the hangar bay before anything else. :-) Thanks for commenting!
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    hangar is really good. specially the lighting ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I just finished reading this thread and I got to say:

well, WELL, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell done Postman. I am really blown away.Can't wait for update on this hangar.

Say, are working in the industry already or?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i think u did a lil over kill on teh rust spot son the viper
    I just finished reading this thread and I got to say:

well, WELL, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell done Postman. I am really blown away.Can't wait for update on this hangar.

Say, are working in the industry already or?

Thanks, DraevalAWSA. It has been quite the journey. Good thing about 3D is everything that is learned is additive and therefore the moment, hopefully increases. For instance, I have started to build up a library of textures and brushes so I am actually giving the viper a revision on the textures. Hangar Bay I am calling done. Thanks again for looking!
    colbmista wrote: »
    i think u did a lil over kill on teh rust spot son the viper

Yeah, I agree with you. I think I really toned down that rust on my revision wip, maybe even eliminated it for the most part. Thanks for the critique.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I think you should eliminate all of the wear and tear and make a clean Viper like Starbuck's as well as a roughed-up version.