Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLizzy's WIPs

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771425 PNWPosts: 767Member
    Not sure how much of the shuttle/fighter bay interior I plan to do. At least the option will be there. Need more greebles on the back end. Just thinking of what I want to add. Might steal some ideas from the K'tinga.

XC8Dysx.png
    zhWMvgs.png
    wibbleStarCruiserevil_genius_180
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    edited March 2 #543
    When stuck for ideas, reuse stuff!

mwESX8I.png

Yes, I put another disruptor turret on top. I figure since Klingons are basically Space Orcs, they would have more dakka.
    Post edited by Lizzy777 on
    Warp Propulsion LaboratorytrekkiwibbleStarCruiserscifiericsrspicerBrandenbergevil_genius_180
  • trekkitrekki981 Posts: 1,435Member
    That fits with the Disruptor.
    I think it's good. Very detailed.👍
    Lizzy777
  • wibblewibble1374 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 613Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    I figure since Klingons are basically Space Orcs, they would have more dakka.

Actually I always thought of Klingons as Space Vikings. But I'm sure they wouldn't mind an extra disruptor as well. :)
    Lizzy777lennier1
    I think the major build part for the hull is done! Now I can move onto the neck.

cyzyOlq.png
    clOD7hN.png
    wibbleashleytingerStarCruisertrekkirojrenscifiericPheylansrspicerBrandenbergevil_genius_180and 1 other.
    👍
    Lizzy777
  • scifiericscifieric1123 Posts: 1,498Member
    This is terrific work!
    Lizzy777
    edited April 10 #549
    Time for an image dump? I think it's time for an image dump. Anyone on the Discord server pretty much saw this progress as it happened. Well, not live. I'd post these same screenshots. Anyway, unless there's anything else I can think of, the neck is pretty much done.

tIXHAyo.png
    kxpBx4N.png
    X0rvdZa.png
    4zKa1Fk.png
    Upqf8uV.png
    63UsTEZ.png

And here are a couple of proper renders.
    pv5NW4k.png
    9iVyXrV.png

And now, I get to detail the section that started this entire build! WOO!
    srspicerrojrenashleytingerPheylanStarCruiserxiaorobeartrekkirms8_347wibbleBrandenbergand 3 others.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg2176 CaliforniaPosts: 2,300Member
    You do great work.
    Lizzy777
    edited May 28 #551
    I had some actual motivation to work on this over the weekend. And as a bonus, I learned how to use Shrinkwrap! I mean, I knew it existed, but before this point, I had been using Boolean techniques that I learned well over a decade ago.

Got the base shape refined and cut in the windows. I'd end up recutting these windows later. I copied the rear torpedo launch tube from the rear and set it in the front.
    h0XecEi.png

This is when I learned how to use Shrinkwrap. Instead of cutting bucks and extracting from the base mesh. I'd cut them from a 2D plane, add a subdivision mod, then shrinkwrap it to the base mesh. After that, I'd add a Solidifier mod, and then use the Inset tool a few times to layer the panels.
    xj3e09qivsjv.png

Bottom panels! You can see the 2D objects highlighted against the base mesh in this one. They're skin-tight at this stage.

That's a render of Mark Bell's SNW D7 in the background that I've been using as a reference.
    SDBPvI8.png

Bottom panels extruded and layered! I plan to add some smaller detailing to match what I've done on the rest of the hull up to this point. That'll give it a better sense of scale and visual interest.
    kurmhxu1twcm.png
    CptBenSiskoBrandenbergPheylanStarCruisertrekkiwibbleevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    Love what you are doing here. She's a beauty.
    Lizzy777
    Yes, that's wonderful.
    Lizzy777
  • StarshipStarship584 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 2,000Member
    Wonderfull!!! You´re doing a remarkable work. B)
    Lizzy777
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804824 Posts: 11,339Member
    Your work is always impressive, but that D7 is next level. I mean, WOW! The detail level is insane and you're making it look easy.

It's actually a shame that they made the ship so dark on the show, since the details really pop more in the lighter color.
    Lizzy777
    I'm longing for an update.
    Lizzy777
    I'm longing for an update.

I've been poking at it off and on for the past few weeks. I didn't feel there was much to show off yet.

Just need to fill that gap in the middle. Then I can work on the tower. After that the rear section. Then the build portion will be complete. Unless I can think of something else to add to it.

BKv4ByP.png
    MadKoiFishevil_genius_180rojrenwibbleBrandenbergPheylanStarCruisersrspicer
    It's cool how the Klingons made their emblem float in front of the bridge area. =)
    Kidding. I'm kidding. So glad you're working on it again. Looks nice.
    Lizzy777
    edited July 9 #559
    Man, the Klingons get all the greebles that the Federation ships don't. Everywhere you look on that model, there's something cool to see. Between you and MadKoiFish, as well as a few other artists, I'm really digging the strong showing for Klingon content on the forum.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
    Man, the Klingons get all the greebles that the Federation ships don't. Everywhere you look on that model, there's something cool to see. Between you and MadKoiFish, as well as a few other artists, I'm really digging the strong showing for Klingon content on the forum.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    Hilk_v001
    edited July 9 #561
    Let me add. I really dig the engines on this ship. A @Lizzy777 tour de force.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777
  • Hilk_v001Hilk_v001139 Posts: 57Member
    that D7 looks amazing. all of it just feels right ! kudos
    Lizzy777
    Another month, another update. What caused the delay? A few things. Some work project stuff. Plaything through all three games in the Mass Effect Legendary Edition series. Playing through both Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Forbidden West, plus catching up on a lot of reading and binging shows.

Anyway, I last left off with about half the front end completed. So tonight/this morning I pushed and decided to get the modeling phase completed.

QJzJ6AB.png
    The bridge and tower worked out. Bell's D7 looked like it had Klingon forehead ridges. So I gave it more ridges. Also, that tower looked like it needed more. So I looked at ship conning towers and saw what I could use.

jQlp5Tf.png
    A little more progress. Almost to the end for the modeling phase! WOO! I just need to decipher the last of the greebles.

Gn9wb4q.png
    And... Done! I think. Every time I figure out a part, I think of how to change it or add to it.

So, lets get to some orthos.
    hnJQXtu.png
    RBQ6xNz.png
    8MtkCej.png
    ni59x4N.png
    RY8wHPz.png

Not quite to scale to the rest of my SNW ships. But I got pretty close to building it in a separate project. Maybe one day I'll get around to texturing it!
    haLCkEy.png

rojrenWarp Propulsion LaboratoryStarCruiserwibbleevil_genius_180MadKoiFishBrandenbergPheylanashleytinger
    It's perfect. Not sure if I like the SNW Version compared to what we have been used to since the Motion Picture. But one simply has to admire your execution of it.
    Lizzy777
    That's some fantastic work, as usual. Personally, I don't even compare anything done from 2009 onward with the older Trek stuff, as there's an obvious attempt to, at the very least, do a visual reboot of the franchise. That way, I can see them as a separate thing and enjoy them for what they are.
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Another month, another update. What caused the delay? A few things. Some work project stuff. Plaything through all three games in the Mass Effect Legendary Edition series. Playing through both Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Forbidden West, plus catching up on a lot of reading and binging shows.

Wow, that's a lot of gaming. I'm impressed.
    Lizzy777
    edited August 21 #566
    Personally, I don't even compare anything done from 2009 onward with the older Trek stuff, as there's an obvious attempt to, at the very least, do a visual reboot of the franchise. That way, I can see them as a separate thing and enjoy them for what they are.

I totally get this sentiment and I tend to see it the same way. I don't compare in a way that I will only accept a design if it looks like what has been there before. But if I want to understand and decide what I like, I can't help but to compare different designs. And If it comes to Star Trek spaceships I just realize very often that I prefer the older designs. Although this isn't absolute of course. I really admire the Kelvin for example and if it comes to set designs New Trek does a lot of things right and sometimes even better than classic Trek.

And as for what caused the delay, it sound's like time well spend.
    Post edited by wibble on
    edited August 21 #567
    Personally, I don't even compare anything done from 2009 onward with the older Trek stuff, as there's an obvious attempt to, at the very least, do a visual reboot of the franchise. That way, I can see them as a separate thing and enjoy them for what they are.
    I like this sentiment. When we bash things the shows get cancelled for lack of viewership. What you wrote is almost IDIC = Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations and that's good. I also take them for what they are. I don't think we Star Trek lovers are doing ourselves any favors with an "It's my way or the highway" attitude.

Lizzy777
    edited August 21 #568
    To be fair, I can see the other side of the conversation too. IE: @wibble said it's hard to look at something with a familiar shape and not think of what came before. And, that's totally understandable. That's also wibble's opinion and I'm not going to say that's wrong because opinions can't be wrong. They just are what they are.

Also, there was a time where I took this stuff way more seriously, but I've mellowed a lot in the past decade or so. Sometime after Into Darkness came out, which was 2013, because I took that movie way too seriously when I first saw it. I watched it again a few years ago and I turned my brain off to do it, which made it much more enjoyable. :lol: (I have that whole trilogy in 4K) Then, when it came to Discovery, Picard, SNW, etc, I was totally open minded.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Lizzy777
    edited August 21 #569
    @Lizzy777 - You're my hero. It's such great work.
    Lizzy777
    wibble wrote: »
    It's perfect. Not sure if I like the SNW Version compared to what we have been used to since the Motion Picture. But one simply has to admire your execution of it.
    That's some fantastic work, as usual. Personally, I don't even compare anything done from 2009 onward with the older Trek stuff, as there's an obvious attempt to, at the very least, do a visual reboot of the franchise. That way, I can see them as a separate thing and enjoy them for what they are.

Thank you, guys! I enjoy the updated designs. It's an interesting evolution and translation from a 1960s design philosophy to a 2020s aesthetic. The fun part for me has been expanding on it with my own sense of detail, while keeping within the established "rules" of the originals. One of the core ideals behind Star Trek is to look forward and to progress while remembering our past as a guide into the future.

We can see where Jefferies drew his design inspirations from the original concept art sketches. And while Roddenberry didn't want rockets, we can still see some of the 1930s sci-fi rockets in the nacelles. For example, the extended pylons, fins, and even the needles at the tip of the Bussard collectors of the pilot episode design. Features that fit nicely with Buck Rogers.

Ship designs, both modern and fictional, have evolved a lot since the early days of the Space Age. And I think these DSC/SNW era ships show a bit of that evolution, not just in their artistic presentation, but in a generational evolution. We can see the Enterprise as a developmental stage between the NX-01 and the classic starship from TOS and TMP.

Today we can draw inspiration from an incredible variety of space and starships. The Eagle 1 from Space 1999, Star Wars' Millenium Falcon, Serenity from Firefly, the Nostromo from ALIEN, UNSC Infinity from the HALO franchise, the Galactica from BSG, the warships of the MCRN from The Expanse... The updated designs for NuTrek really help pull a classic series into the new millennium. Especially when it comes to the outlandish and nearly incomprehensible designs for 30th-century Trek like the Voyager J, U.S.S. Eisenberg, and even that toroidal design that looks like they built a starship around an island and flew it into space!

Personally, I'm not a fan of detached warp nacelles and huge gaps in the superstructure that we saw in the distant future of Trek. An idea that's stuck with me since I first saw the Vengeance Dreadnought from Star Trek: Into Darkness (I have a lot of criticisms of the Vengeance that we saw on screen). To me, it feels like wasted space. But I can see the idea behind it when it comes to future tech -- Galactic civilization has reached a period when form can come before function. That Art has a solid place in STEAM. That there's something of a Golden Age of prosperity when practicality can be cast aside for a moment in favor of the aesthetic.

And what's even better is that I can join in on this artistic fun. Even if it's simply as a fan and not an actual starship engineer and designer.
    evil_genius_180PheylanBrandenberg
    I don't know who designed the USS Vengeance, but I agree that it's ugly. I know John Eaves worked on those films, but he designed more of the props than the ships. He did, however, design a lot of the ships for Discovery. Most or all of the Starfleet ships were designed by Eaves, including the Discovery. (based on Ralph McQuarrie's designs from Planet of the Titans, of course) Those gaps in the hull, especially in saucers are a thing he loves, he used to talk about it on his blog. He calls them "doughnut saucers."
    Lizzy777