Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLizzy's WIPs

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    Looking good. Yeah, the D7 is an odd one to figure out for sure. There aren't that many straight lines on the ship, it's a lot of complex curves and things that make it a challenge. Also, I'm sure the new one has scant references compared to the one from the 60s.

Oh, there are a lot of references I can draw from! There are the Eaglemoss models, Mark Bell's renders on his Artstation, the "D7 Miracle Worker Flight Deck Carrier" in Star Trek: Online, and videos from both Discovery and Strange New Worlds. And these are a lot more consistent than the set of model references I used when I built the Enterprise.

The tricky part now will be in figuring out the basic shapes for the warp nacelles. There are a lot of little bits and pieces there. Including a monster disruptor cannon.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I wasn't sure what was available for the new D7 because I haven't looked. I haven't even watched all of SNW season 1 yet.
    scifiericLizzy777
    edited July 2023 #514
    So, it's been a while, hasn't it? I started blocking out the nacelles, and instead of posting a few WIP shots with the basics all together, I ended up just detailing the entire section. After watching SNW s2e1 and seeing some interesting detail going on, I couldn't figure out just where the disruptors were supposed to be! Plus, there were some interesting differences between my reference images that I had to figure out which ones to use.

So... I figured I'd add my own bits to fill out the design. With that said, here's the warp nacelle/big honkin' disruptor canon.

BRbM0nc.png
    SuA74xe.png
    gRiTt8f.png
    Post edited by Lizzy777 on
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180PheylanwibbletrekkiSCE2AuxashleytingerJayrusrspicerscifieric
    Those nacelles look great. I love the level of detail.
    Lizzy777
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Really great!
    Lizzy777scifieric
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Looking good so far. The D7 design has a ton of potential. It has great angles that can be tweaked here and there and still retain he D7 look.
    Lizzy777scifieric
  • JayruJayru1130 UKPosts: 697Member
    Beautiful detail on those nacelles :-)
    Lizzy777scifieric
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    More nacelle greebs and I've started on the wing.
    dO4ZRNB.jpg
    voj43SO.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerwibblePheylanStarCruiserbacksteptsrspicerscifiericBridgerWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 3 others.
    After finishing some work assignments, I decided to update Blender from 3.4 to 4.02. And while I had the program open, I figured I'd put a little effort on this ship. I was thinking of how I'd work out the panels on the hull surface but did some rear and wing details instead.

ifTWNzr.png

j4o3IkS.png
    PheylanStarCruiserWarp Propulsion Laboratoryashleytingerevil_genius_180wibblesrspicerscifieric
    edited December 2023 #521
    Got into a groove and just kept going.

-edit- And I just realized I nearly spent 4 hours on that section.

h6gsrw9.png
    evil_genius_180wibbleStarCruisertrekkipubliusrsrspicerscifiericBolianAdmiral
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I loved the nacele and weapons pack you gave to this ship. B)
    Lizzy777scifieric
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    This is a nice work.
    Lizzy777scifieric
    Fixed some geometry errors on the underside, then got to work on the panels. Now to think of some smaller greebles like I did on the upper half.

keCGmwL.png
    trekkievil_genius_180PheylanStarCruiserMadKoiFishpubliusrMustang13Camaro68srspicerwibblescifieric
    Alright, finished detailing the underside of the wing. At least as much as I can think to stick under there. I wanted to add a disruptor turret in the same area as on the K'tinga. So I made a quick and dirty model loosely based on the cannon on the wings of the B'rel Bird of Prey. I also changed up some of the greebles on the rear end near the impulse engines.

Now I can move onto the main hull section.

joCV50M.png
    EaH3uXK.png
    qynddxe.png
    StarCruiserPheylanevil_genius_180ashleytingerMustang13Camaro68srspicerwibblescifiericBolianAdmiral
    The details on this are looking great.
    Lizzy777scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Maybe for a later larger design…maybe have an additional deck atop the manta half way out to the pylons..an another atop that only a third of the way out for the shuttlebay/powerpack to rest on…
    Lizzy777
    OMG, this took me HOURS to do. Just that top center section and I only had to do HALF OF IT! [cries] I think I started around 2 am, and now it's 0820.

txXr592.jpg
    qAYbbAj.png
    The details on this are looking great.
    Thank you! Still, there is So. Much. To. Go...

Ugh...
    publiusr wrote: »
    Maybe for a later larger design…maybe have an additional deck atop the manta half way out to the pylons..an another atop that only a third of the way out for the shuttlebay/powerpack to rest on…
    Not sure what you mean?

StarCruiserevil_genius_180MadKoiFishMustang13Camaro68wibblescifiericSCE2AuxsrspicerBolianAdmiral
  • PheylanPheylan528 Posts: 92Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    OMG, this took me HOURS to do. Just that top center section and I only had to do HALF OF IT! [cries] I think I started around 2 am, and now it's 0820.

Now that's dedication to ones craft! When do you sleep?

scifieric
    Pheylan wrote: »

Now that's dedication to ones craft! When do you sleep?

I went to bed a few hours later. The liberties of pulling an allnighter on a weekend!
    scifieric

I know it's a pain, but that's time well spent. Your work is so clean and highly detailed. You really knock these newer Star Trek designs out out of the park.
    Lizzy777publiusrscifiericBolianAdmiral
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Got into a groove and just kept going.

-edit- And I just realized I nearly spent 4 hours on that section.

Time seems to just melt away when you start concentrating on a 3Dmodel!
    Lizzy777scifieric
    I spent a few hours working out the panels on the underside of the hull. Now I need to do the front-facing panels.
    mCkEUs2.png

With the neck added on, it's really starting to look like a proper starship! I still need to detail the impulse engine and shuttle bay on the top to finish off the main hull section, though.
    Q2GMDMO.png
    ashleytingerStarshipStarCruiserwibbletrekkiPheylanrojrenSCE2Auxsrspicerscifieric
  • CptBenSiskoCptBenSisko4 Posts: 12Member
    wow wow wow.. I just went through this ENTIRE thread from start to finish.. what spectacular work!! also given me some inspiration for some updated phaser/disruptor cannons for my own TOS D-7. Excellent work!
    Lizzy777
    edited January 26 #535
    wow wow wow.. I just went through this ENTIRE thread from start to finish.. what spectacular work!! also given me some inspiration for some updated phaser/disruptor cannons for my own TOS D-7. Excellent work!

Oh, wow! Then you've gotten a snapshot of 14 years of my artistic development. From half-baked ideas to fully realized projects, and everything in between!

Also, welcome to SFM!
    wibbleCptBenSiskoscifieric
    edited January 28 #536
    Reworking and updating some materials. Mostly the glass and lights. I might go and up the saucer texture from 2k to 4k to fix that pixelation on the registry later. I also toned down the metal to look a lot less chrome.

You can also see the bridge interior now! And by "bridge interior" I mean a screen shot I took from the show and applied as a texture.
    CyLJYzB.jpeg
    PheylanMustang13Camaro68rojrenSCE2Auxwibblesrspicerscifieric
    edited January 28 #537
    Just curious. When you build your starships, do you give them this chrome material just for a bit of artistic flare or is this how you think they should look in your minds eye?

They kind of remind me of Hallmark special edition models that I've seen in the past.....which is meant as a sort of compliment. :)

Edit: I see that you mentioned toning down the chrome effect somewhat, but it's still nice and shiny and cool looking.
    Post edited by Pheylan on
    Lizzy777
    Pheylan wrote: »
    Just curious. When you build your starships, do you give them this chrome material just for a bit of artistic flare or is this how you think they should look in your minds eye?

For the Enterprise, Farragut, Reliant, and Miranda, I did it because I thought that's how the Enterprise looked when she was reintroduced during the two-part season finale/backdoor pilot in ST: Discovery. I went over as much footage as I could find of the ship in DISCO and Strange New Worlds to get a sense of the materials that were used.

A lot of the chrome look is also due to the HDRI maps I used for those renders. Without something to reflect, the surface will look more matte than metallic. I'll give you a prime example. Note that the material and settings in use are exactly the same between these two WIP images.

EgQxBSY.jpg
    8pr2yev.png

The only differences are the HDRI maps. I think the first one was "Gathering Storm" while the other was "Machine Shop".

StarCruiserPheylanwibble
    The only differences are the HDRI maps. I think the first one was "Gathering Storm" while the other was "Machine Shop".

Ah, I see. Interesting, same material but like night and day.

Every since I've been applying more materials to my models, I've been using outdoor HDRI's instead of the distant lights used in my earlier renders. I still add some additional lights as necessary when I want to highlight some smaller details.

Recently I changed the HDRI to one with a light probe called Japan Blossom which gives the models a more moody look compared to the previous one.

Lizzy777
    That took way longer than it should have. At least the main hull is done with the detail stage. Well, except for the impulse engines/shuttle/fighter bay on top. I'm guessing those 10 squares on either side of the neck are supposed to be torp launchers.

8K4mvVM.jpeg

Getting there. Just 3 more sections to go.

TTWZQ1g.png
    wibblerojrenMadKoiFishWarp Propulsion LaboratorytrekkiashleytingerPheylanStarCruisersrspicerBolianAdmiral
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    That took way longer than it should have.

Good things just need there time.

Lizzy777