Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTallguy's Star Trek Tech Manual

TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
edited April 2023 in Work in Progress #1
Since seeing the first ON SCREEN APPEARANCE of Franz Joseph's Federation Class Dreadnought in Picard (as a toy, sure, but there were lots of them) I've dusted off the old mesh and have been giving it a shiny (well, NOT entirely shiny) lick of paint. And learning PRB textures as well as some of the ins and outs of the current version of Blender.

And durned if she doesn't look really pretty!

MXnfCMnm.png

I'm not made of money so I'm still struggling along with Blender and Gimp. One of these days I'll learn how to use something like Quixel Mixer. I could never afford Maya or Z-Brush, I'm certainly not going to be able to afford Substance Painter.

I still have some tweaks to make. I did do my first animation test ever with those nacelle lights and I have to say they look gorgeous. I'll post some more renders once I'm further along. Then I have to do the Saladin. And then I have to actually build the Ptolemy tug. @evil_genius_180 will finish his Constitution long before I get to mine. (I didn't want to confuse folk by resurrecting my old thread, ALSO call The Franz Joseph Fleet.)

Have we hit the 20th anniversary of @Vektor 's Constitution class yet? Probably long past, I'd imagine.

Anyway, I have to say this is the first time I've ever had FUN shading a mesh!
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
ashleytingerStarCruisercaveat_imperatorrojrenevil_genius_180Lizzy777publiusrwibblescifiericMustang13Camaro68
Tagged:

• backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    I love those bussards!
    TallguyscifiericMustang13Camaro68
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    backstept wrote: »
    I love those bussards!

I had the same thought.

In fact, the whole model looks great. Those textures look fantastic.

I didn't realize they'd had the Federation class on Picard. I've only watched 4 episodes of the current season. (I need to get caught up) The term Dreadnought was already canon, along with one of the ship names from the tech manual, thanks to TMP, so it's good to know they finally had the design on screen.
    scifieric
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Thanks!

I'm VERY happy with how the "space energy / matter sinks" turned out. I didn't want to do too much to make the leap to The Motion Picture, but I figure the Fed is the newest and brightest, so I pushed the colors into blue from red and orange.

In the first episode where they're handing out model space ships you can see little three or four inch miniatures of the Fed very easily. Harder to spot, they have a bunch of two-ish foot models in buckets.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    dudib7dt137x.jpg

I'll be damned. I completely missed the Federation class there when I saw that episode.
    scifieric
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    I think a lot of those models were Eaglemoss, but as far as I know Eaglemoss didn't make a Fed so it was probably made special.
    scifieric
    backstept wrote: »
    I think a lot of those models were Eaglemoss, but as far as I know Eaglemoss didn't make a Fed so it was probably made special.

Or it was one of the old SFB miniatures. Or made special. Because the larger models certainly were.

One more. I just realized I haven't done anything with the spheres on the backs of the engines.

vqh2R8Gm.png
    ashleytingercaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180StarCruiserpubliusrLizzy777scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I love this concept!

On another site, I mentioned how it looks similar to some early art on what TMP’s Refit would look like…lower nacelle stance.
    scifieric
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    I loved looking through that Franz Joseph book as a kid! I was probably the only one to check it out of my library.

Great job on this. I agree with the others, the Bussard's coloring is nice.
    scifieric
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    Thanks!

You know when you get 90% of the work done and all that's left is the little itty bitty things that you just have to organize and get done and it takes FOREVER? Yeah, that's where I'm at.
    Lizzy777scifiericpubliusr