Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRestoring the lost...

JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
edited April 2022 in Work in Progress #1
What seems a billion years ago, I was inspired to build a ship from the old DC comics;

5BG32dJ.jpg

I called her the USS Clarke NCC-901. I had a lot of plans for the class, but life got in the way, and then disaster struck, and I lost all of my 3D work. Aside from a few images I had nothing left of decades worth of work. (Yes, I used to keep backups – they were destroyed as well. But you don’t need the sordid details. Things are far more secure now).

The Ingram Class has been saved due to the fact I shared that mesh with a fan-film group. But the Clarke and everything else was lost.

Well, I have been reclaiming some of what was lost. I built an Excelsior Class variant a while back. Although the thread got highjacked by the need to fit in a with a fan list… Which yes, soured me on building Trek again – hence the Blake’s 7 project. But… well, here we are. I have started rebuilding the Clarke. Obviously, I am mindful of the fact that since I built the original some things have happened on screen in Trek (like the USS Clarke NCC-1661, and the fact there is a Clarke Class now).

So, I’m building a ship inspired by what I had, a new USS Clarke NCC-2661. If pushed for a class name, I’d go with McCaffrey. She was the first female writer to win the big awards for science fiction books. The Clarke is going to be a TMP era style ship, and… I guess I’ll see how we go;

NyIajHf.jpg
XQwUSnQ.jpg

C&C is always welcome. More soon!
Post edited by Guerrilla on
The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
- Mike Oldfield
Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777ashleytingerMadKoiFishBrandenbergRekkertscifiericsrspicer
Tagged:

• JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    Small updates - major parts have been joined better - now on to the detailing!

rDIdazK.jpg
    JccQIh1.jpg

More soon, C&C welcome.
    BolianAdmiralashleytingerBrandenbergxiaorobearLizzy777Rekkertscifiericsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited April 2022 #3
    Not only do I like the ship - I like how you display them.
    Will watch with interest. Also some amazing backdrops on the very first image.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Jayruscifieric
    Not only do I like the ship - I like how you display them.
    Will watch with interest. Also some amazing backdrops on the very first image.

Thank you! Hopefully I can find the old backdrops. Just got out the ruler and hit a problem - this is a much bigger ship than the original. I may run with it because... Why not? But thoughts on this would be interesting;

1c9yNCB.jpg
    s0Cv2fo.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon.
    Lizzy777Brandenbergscifiericsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
    LQI21xz.jpg

C&C welcome, more later.
    Lizzy777ashleytingerBrandenbergrojrenscifiericsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Did you make those three backdrops or find them somewhere?

I would say the proportions of your new ship are a tad different. I may be wrong but I think the new saucer is a little smaller relative to the bottom main hull and that the new vertical height of your engines possible taller than the former. Part of the reason I say this, is because your pylons head out at a lesser angle after the first bend where they attach at the lower hull. In your original pictures I found that attractive.

And of course that's how they appear in the comic as well.
    Jayruscifieric
    edited April 2022 #7
    Did you make those three backdrops or find them somewhere?

I would say the proportions of your new ship are a tad different. I may be wrong but I think the new saucer is a little smaller relative to the bottom main hull and that the new vertical height of your engines possible taller than the former. Part of the reason I say this, is because your pylons head out at a lesser angle after the first bend where they attach at the lower hull. In your original pictures I found that attractive.

And of course that's how they appear in the comic as well.

The original images would have had credits on them, sadly I cut three down to use as Facebook banners and that's all I have left. If I find them I find them, if not - I shall make do with something new. I'm not worried.

Yes, I remember having a lot of fun getting the proportions right on the mesh. I went through several iterations before I was happy. I don't mind this being a bigger ship than the original, or slightly different. When I made the original I only had one image from the comic, but since I have found another. I'd like to recapture as much of the ship I originally built or do something a little different. I'm not working from any plans but rather from imagination. So we shall see where we go...

Thanks again, more soon!
    Post edited by Jayru on
    scifieric
    - Mike Oldfield
    I managed to find the old WIP thread up on the Treknographics site and had a good read through. No images, but I didn't expect to find any. Our hosting service was completely destroyed as well, so meh. However, it was good reading through the posts and I've made some notes. I have reworked the hull so it fits the profile of a smaller ship;

RwVHWql.jpg

I've dumped the saucer for a new one. I'll detail that tomorrow. But the proportions sit better now. It may not be one hundred per cent what I built originally, but it will be close. And it will be better :-)

C9gSTDu.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon!
    ashleytingerLizzy777scifiericsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looks like a rally nice upgrade.
    Jayru
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Looks like a rally nice upgrade.

Thank you!

Update, back to where I was before I changed the saucer;

tcuSZGd.jpg
    YAtb0aU.jpg

Yes - their are rooms behind the windows :-)

Lizzy777MadKoiFishsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    It´s good to see you back Jay!
    About the ship, I know you´re following the refs and schematics, but the nacele looks small, giving the ship the aspect of a toy... Maybe you would consider to make it longer, like the pic attached (hope you don´t mind about the dirty edition of your rendering). Just a suggestion. ;)

mmcgp0keedjb.jpg
    JayruLizzy777
    Starship wrote: »
    It´s good to see you back Jay!
    About the ship, I know you´re following the refs and schematics, but the nacele looks small, giving the ship the aspect of a toy... Maybe you would consider to make it longer, like the pic attached (hope you don´t mind about the dirty edition of your rendering). Just a suggestion. ;)

mmcgp0keedjb.jpg

I've been back for a while - just finished off a Blake's 7 project on here ;-)

Re nacelle length - you mean something like this?

Z7toEzb.jpg

I suppose if I changed the length of the secondary hull, maybe made the saucer bigger? (Shame because I have nearly finished detailing it) I could make this look like the child of a Constitution and Excelsior... I'd be tempted to move away from being a smaller ship and more something that sits between the afore mentioned classes...

Something to think on perhaps.

More soon.
    Lizzy777srspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
    Started texture this lady - maps need a little more work (using a different system than I've used before), and I am aware that there are some mesh errors. Something to work on;

NI6dx6a.jpg
    NRohyIQ.jpg

Comments, as always, are welcome - more soon!
    Lizzy777mishasiegfriedsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
    If you choose to make the nacelles longer, I think making extending them by half as much as the example should be adequate. Should retain the Oberth look without the nacelles looking quite so stubby.

All in all, this is a cool little ship.
    Jayru
    If you choose to make the nacelles longer, I think making extending them by half as much as the example should be adequate. Should retain the Oberth look without the nacelles looking quite so stubby.

All in all, this is a cool little ship.

Thank you!

Changing the nacelles is something to think about. I am trying to recapture what I built before... But with a lack of images and references I know I can't rebuild what was, and maybe treating this as something new is the right way to go. That being said... I really liked what I built before. I like to build rationalised ships that work (remembering the fact that this actually just make believe, lol). I like windows that line up with decks, ships with gubbings that make sense. That's what I like to build. It doesn't always make for the sexiest of starships... But they are "practical" from an in-universe POV.

Anyways, back to the main feature (more soon).
    - Mike Oldfield
    2bgnA8E.jpg

Comments welcome, More soon!
    MadKoiFishLizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
    Totally get where you're coming from.
    She looks great so far.
    Jayru
    Totally get where you're coming from.
    She looks great so far.

Thank you :-)

Stared work on the main hanger. Borrowed a shuttle from my old USS Horizon project. I may (may I stress) create a new shuttle just for this ship type;

3J0qrrg.jpg

Oh yes, the nacelles have an "on" mode;

nBNkFMa.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon
    ashleytingerLizzy777srspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Somewhere between an Oberth and the Refit. I've always like the oddball ships that showed up in the DC comics. Nice work!
    Jayruscifieric
    Somewhere between an Oberth and the Refit. I've always like the oddball ships that showed up in the DC comics. Nice work!

Thank you :-)

I think I'm going to lock down the impulse engines as done;

Nl4u1Tx.jpg
    GvxdIPF.jpg

comments welcome, more soon!
    rojrenashleytingerLizzy777srspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
    Shuttle Bay has been tweaked, the Impulse gubbings have been tweaked and the connecting deck has been finished - enjoy!

Fz4p0Oj.jpg
    l8OoKMT.jpg
    z0OOxmF.jpg

Now comes the challenging bit - the secondary hull, but next the neck.

ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruiserscifiericsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
    And just quickly...

Decided to dust this off. The original TMP design for a shuttle. I shall... Play around and see what I can make from it :-)

KY3D31k.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon :-)
    ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruiserscifieric
    - Mike Oldfield
    More work on the shuttle. Yes, I am updating the deign and am taking some designs ques from the past...

N1GQENP.jpg
    f0s5SPZ.jpg

Thinking back, this shuttle was the last thing I worked on before the attack. It's nice to finally see it realised - and most importantly that it's safe!

ashleytingertrekkiLizzy777StarCruiserscifiericcaveat_imperator
    - Mike Oldfield
    Some random thoughts worth sharing;

I’ve been thinking about where the McCaffrey Class fits in Starfleet, what it’s role would be. I think I’ve given her too many teeth for the role I have in mind, but I am opening this up to the floor for thoughts, as I am thinking of pulling some of those teeth. I see this ship as being more of the science side of things within Starfleet, rather then a multi-purpose platform. I see this as a ship that does the in-depth exploration side of things, rather than just the general dip in and out. At most I see her military role as being more of a support ship, then a front line assault ship.

Anyone what to add there two cents?
    - Mike Oldfield
    I had assumed it was a similar intend to the Oberth, just packing more science equipment. As for the teeth, could play it as a reaction from starfleet as to how easy Grissom was destroyed.
    Jayrudarkthunder
    I had assumed it was a similar intend to the Oberth, just packing more science equipment. As for the teeth, could play it as a reaction from starfleet as to how easy Grissom was destroyed.

She's bigger than the Oberth by a nice margin, I need to do some scale renders to show that. But she's smaller than a Constitution. Looking at the old WIP thread on Treknographics I only original had ten Phaser banks on her, and at the moment I have twelve just on the saucer. I only had one torpedo launcher, but at the moment I have two. I think I need to see this ship against some others to get a good idea of size before I make a decision. I'll share the renders when I do.

Cheers :-)

- Mike Oldfield
    I should have done this earlier;

Gex8leQ.jpg

This is a much bigger ship than I originally built. I either take a major step back and rejig things for a small ship, or run with it as is. Length comes out as 237 meters, with 18 decks. Humm. Let me think on this.

Comments welcome, more soon.
    Lizzy777StarCruiserscifiericcaveat_imperator
    - Mike Oldfield
    Ok, this iteration is a bigger ship - I can live with that. (It's that, or start again... which we all know I have done in the past, what was it? 12 years working on one project because I kept rebuilding things, lol);

4685XTH.jpg

Neck is locked down for the moment.

More soon, comments welcome :-)
    ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruiserscifiericsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Could still be a science vessel, but it's a deeper range vessel, maybe meant for exploratory missions that go more in depth than the Connie or Excelsior were meant to do? Kind of what the Nova class was supposed to be but for outside Federation controlled space?
    Jayru
    Could still be a science vessel, but it's a deeper range vessel, maybe meant for exploratory missions that go more in depth than the Connie or Excelsior were meant to do? Kind of what the Nova class was supposed to be but for outside Federation controlled space?

I'm liking that idea - and it makes sense. Thank you :-)
    - Mike Oldfield
    Scale render of the USS Clarke next to the USS Horizon (which I built a little while back as a rationalised take on the Excelsior);

aMnzgSL.jpg

And the current state of play;

7sRHxdU.jpg

May take a little break and work on the shuttle for a time.

ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperatorsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield