Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.
BolianAdmiral wrote: »
I like the ship design... it’s interesting.
Brandenberg wrote: »
Yeah, I can see what you mean with the color swap. It looks super great.
ashleytinger wrote: »
I think they both look really good but I'm partial to your new look
froggi3 wrote: »
Obviously, the ones above and below the ship's main habitable area aren't actual decks. The windows I cut already are skylights on deck 3.
I didn't eyeball the placement of the windows. I used a curve from my saucer and a tool called Rail Clone. It will clone any object along a curve:
Obviously, I deleted the ones I don't want. The only hand movement I did after that was to line them up better with the geometry, as some of them are somewhat less than ideally placed:
(note: this is just an example)
The hand movement was very minute and basically so that they wouldn't intersect verts in a bad way when I cut them.
Are there other ways of doing this? I'm sure there are. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it in Lightwave. However, this works. So, I'm doing it this way.
edit; It's these ones that don't look right to me, I feel like the curve should intersect cleanly across the horizontal centerline of the windows.
Also, one thing that's interesting to note is that the windows on Voyager don't all follow the curve either:
The CG model the created for the show is truly incredible, especially for 1994-ish. It was used from the beginning of the series for the opening credits and other shots. I'd imagine they improved it as they went on, but one cool thing about it is that it also kept that window layout. Obviously, the idea was for you to not know which model you were seeing.
And, on that note, I'm pretty tired. I think it's about time to get some food and watch some Voyager on Netflix.
Nice to see you back at it.
Aside from that, I also added some escape pod hatches. They’re the same type on a lot of TNG-era ships. 3x3m, 6 people per pod, and there are currently 31 of them. That means the ship can currently evacuate 186 people. Of course, there will be more pods later. To get those in place, I created a flat hatch shape and positioned it over my saucer. Then I used Rail Clone to create duplicates along the curvature of the saucer and the heat shrink to put them right against the hull. Then I just had to extrude them and then round the edges and that all worked great. They’re on the same line where I had those windows, but having pods there makes more sense as they can used the extra space for launch systems.
Aside from windows and pods, I added some transporter emitters and some things to make us go.
And, to make life more fun, the right button is going out in my mouse. It will randomly decide I’m not still pressing it anymore. I’ll have to see what I have laying around until I get around to replacing it. I have some “mobile” mice, but I generally don’t like using them because they’re smaller. But, if I must I will.
Thanks a lot. The beautiful part about the new one is that it uses no textures. So, I don't have to waste time making texture maps and messing around with UV mapping.