Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Stuff

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    I’ve been thinking lately of doing the Phase II Enterprise concept again. I’ve done it before and in fact was working on a model of the ship almost two years ago. I couldn’t find that model on any of my backup drives, so I figured it was lost. Well, as luck would have it, I got a new game controller. I’m tired of playing games on a little monitor, so I decided to hook my gaming computer up to my TV. I pulled one of my earlier desktops out of mothballs to use as a regular desktop, as I’ll probably keep the gaming rig hooked up to my TV. When I went to boot it, I saw it had no operating system. No problem, that’s an easy fix. I saw the drive had a backup partition on it, and plenty of unpartitioned space, so I decided to leave the partition alone and proceeded to install MX Linux on the unpartitioned space. It’s a good thing I did that, because there were several files on that backup partition, including some Blender files. As luck would have it, one of the folders contains my Phase II model project from 2017. So, I installed Blender 2.79b from the MX Linux repositories and took at look at it. Naturally, I did some renders to assess the current state of the model:

phaseii_wip05.jpg?w=800

phaseii_wip06.jpg?w=800

phaseii_wip07.jpg?w=800

phaseii_wip08.jpg?w=800

It doesn’t look too bad. It looks like I had a lot of the painful stuff out of the way. The saucer grid lines need to be redone. I’m not sure how thick they are, but they look pretty thick. I also don’t like certain other aspects of them. If memory serves, I tried a different method with them and it didn’t work like I wanted it to work. But, those are easy to redo. The warp pylons also have something funky going on with them, but I can easily redo those as well. The nacelles and secondary hull both look good, which is what really matters.
    Lizzy777BrandenbergFreak
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Ah, exceptional. All of your work is fascinating to watch!
    evil_genius_180
    edited August 2019 #125
    Oh please go forward with this. You've accomplished so much already and it looks really great. B)
    And besides. After all that work getting the computer going and not erasing the partition ITS DESTINY.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    Looking great there @evil_genius_180!!!!! Your attention to detail is breathtaking. I'm really impressed with your bussards, and your paneling details. I'm sitting here thinking how the hell am I going to make my work look this sexy!
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks a lot, everyone. :)
    I redid the grid lines on the saucer. I did them the same way I did my 24th century cruiser’s lines, but these went faster because I had less of them to do. I was able to do one section, then clone and rotate that and join them until I had a quarter of the saucer, the just mirror that along the X and Y axis. I also started on the bridge and planetary sensor array. Those were a bit of a pill to do because Jefferies’ drawings of the ship don’t match between views. I got it to a point where it’s between matching up closely enough with various views and the photos of the miniature being built by Brick Price. I would assume they were working with a more refined set of blueprints to make the 4 foot miniature.

phaseii_wip09.jpg?w=800

phaseii_wip10.jpg?w=800

My rationale for fitting this design into Starfleet is simple: They were already working on upgrading the Constitution class before the Enterprise came in for its refit. They had already done a redesign and had built and possibly even refitted some ships into this design by then. Then, when Scott and his team set about redesigning and refitting the Enterprise, they refined the design. This ship could still have been in service, though, as a variant of the Constitution class. Really, this is art imitating life as it fits with how the ship was done for the show and movie. Matt Jefferies came in to do the redesign of the Enterprise for Phase II. His design was then used and further refined by Richard Taylor and Andrew Probert for the version we saw in TMP. Since we didn’t see all of the ships in Starfleet, it’s possible there were ones like the Phase II ship creeping around in the 2270s. But, I will maintain that it was probably a more rare refit, perhaps five to ten vessels were done in this configuration. There is precedent for more rare versions of ships. The rarely seen Enterprise-B version of the Excelsior, for example. Even after Generations hit theaters, we still only saw one other ship in this configuration. The rest of the Excelsior class ships we saw were the original design. So, it’s possible only a small number of Excelsior class ships were done in that design. It may have simply been a sub class specific to a select few ships used for special purposes. That same kind of refit logic can be applied to the Phase II refit Constitution. Perhaps it just wasn’t as desirable of a refit as the TMP ship.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this.
    Lizzy777BrandenbergChiefBrexWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreak
    New warp pylons. I had some errors on the old ones. I probably could have fixed it by triangulating the faces, but I decided to just build new ones and make some slight improvements.

phaseii_wip11.jpg?w=800

phaseii_wip12.jpg?w=800

phaseii_wip13.jpg?w=800

phaseii_wip14.jpg?w=800
    Lizzy777ashleytingerBrandenbergChiefBrexFreak
    Amazing work! Smart way to redo the grid lines. Yeah it goes better when you've eaten.
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks Brandenberg.
    I added lines to the secondary hull. I got as close to the lines on the Matt Jefferies drawings as I could, though some of them didn’t survive the passage of time. For some, I used the cleaned up schematics from the Phase II book and just eyeballed the placement. It does look like the Jefferies drawings have some more horizontal lines, but they’re harder to make out and very closely spaced. They’re also very straight, as opposed to how you’d normally draw a horizontal line on a curved surface. It’s possible those were indications of where the decks are for him to align things like windows. I think that’s highly likely as there’s no indication of these lines on the bottom view. The lines I added are the ones that most depictions of the ship include.

phaseii_wip15.jpg?w=800

phaseii_wip16.jpg?w=800

On a side note, I’ve been looking at the Eaglemoss miniature of the ship. Right now, I just have web images, but I do have my very own model of this ship on the way from an Ebay seller. (they’re sold out on Eaglemoss) I noticed they didn’t include any of the lines on the secondary hull, or the ones on the bottom of the primary hull. Now, I haven’t seen the ones on the bottom of the primary hull on any of the drawings, I just added those myself. However, the ones on the secondary hull are definitely on Matt Jefferies’ original drawings. Anyway, that’s just something I noted. I’m still looking forward to getting my Eaglemoss model of this ship. I’ll post pictures when I get it. 🙂
    BrandenbergLizzy777ashleytinger
    Perfection. Very fine subtle lines. Do you think the Eaglemoss miniatures are that accurate? I really don't know much about them other than seeing them online.
    evil_genius_180
    I want to add that the forward deflector section is really nicely done too.
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks Brandenberg. The deflector is based on both the Jefferies drawings and David Shaw's scratch built model.

From what I've seen, the Eaglemoss ships seem to be pretty accurate, for the most part. I'll see when I get some. I have the Phase II ship on the way from Ebay, and three others direct from Eaglemoss. For a ship like this, that consists of a handful of drawings and an incomplete model, it's mostly open to interpretation. For others, there are plentiful references to get them right, but for some there are multiple models. One example is the Nebula class. I was looking at their version, and it seems accurate to the CGI model, rather than the studio miniature. But, we'll see. The Phoenix from TNG "The Wounded" is one of the models I have on the way. There are images of that model and the HD episode that I can compare it to.
    Somewhere I got the impression that they used 3D meshes to create their models.
    Probably. The magazine that came with the Phase II ship has a bunch of images of a CGI model in it.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    Almost all modeling and miniature companies use 3d models and printing to make the blanks or masters. So only inaccuracies would be in the model or is due to changes needed for the final material used, sprue layout, assembly, etc.

Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Indeed, Eaglemoss has 3D models produced of all the ships and then create a "manufacture" version out of that. Some of the 3D models were directly provided by Doug Drexler, Rob Bonchune or other Trek alumni, while the vast majority were created on commission by Meshweaver, and you can see them on their website: https://www.meshweaver.com/eaglemoss--trek-little-ships-1.html (there are 6 pages of images, with more coming according to them).

The Nebula was indeed created out of the 3D model used during DS9, so while the "mission pod" on the Phoenix is accurate to the studio model, the rest is just a reuse of the Honshu model.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Ed Giddings made the 3D model for the Phase II ship. I quite like what he did.

8ff58f18-2045-4638-ad9c-779daf299b53.jpeg?w=800

It's a nice blend of TOS and TMP. The miniature is really nice too. A few minor issues, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. I'll snap some pics when I get home in the morning.
    RekkertashleytingerBrandenbergLizzy777
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I love the Phase II Enterprise and your model is lookin' nice! I also like your in-universe rationale for the design.
    evil_genius_180Brandenberg
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    furswift wrote: »
    I love the Phase II Enterprise and your model is lookin' nice! I also like your in-universe rationale for the design.

Thanks. :)
    I took some pics and did a write-up about the Eaglemoss ship and magazine on my blog. I'm way to tired to re-post all of that, so here's a link:

https://evilgenius180.wordpress.com/2019/08/23/eaglemoss-phase-ii/
    edited August 2019 #144
    I took some pics and did a write-up about the Eaglemoss ship and magazine on my blog. I'm way to tired to re-post all of that, so here's a link:

https://evilgenius180.wordpress.com/2019/08/23/eaglemoss-phase-ii/

You have a blog. Well what do you know... I'll check it out.
    Also, make your Phase II Enterprise come out like THAT one. So far it is. (Interesting that the main hull has the registry number on it)
    @Rekkert. Also glad to know about the meshweaver site
    Have a question about you at the Smithsonian. Wasn't the TOS Enterprise refurbished after 2012? So you were there before it was redone?
    I've got to go see that thing.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Have a question about you at the Smithsonian. Wasn't the TOS Enterprise refurbished after 2012? So you were there before it was redone?
    I've got to go see that thing.

Indeed it was. And they put together a dream-team advisory committee which included Andy Probert, Rick Sternback, Doug Drexler, and the Okudas. I need to make the pilgrimage myself to see that model.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Yeah, I went to the Smithsonian in the summer, I think they took the Enterprise out of the gift shop to restore it (again) later that year. When I was there, it had the blue-ish paint job that some people seem to think the Enterprise had due to spill from the blue screen it was filmed against. It also had an incorrect spike on the deflector, and some other issues. It was still cool to see, though.

Yeah, the registry on the engineering hull was a thing.

constitution_class_port_secondary_hull_section_model.jpg

That was a section they did when it was still up in the air whether or not they were going to use the ship Don Loos was building at Brick Price Movie Miniatures in the film. Of course, it was for this part:

constitution_class_revised_port_secondary_hull_section_model.jpg
    edited August 2019 #149
    I was shocked to see that the back side of the TV model wasn't finished.
    Oh by the way, I meant to say that that image of the Stargazer in drydock with other ships outside the drydock was spectacular. Did you model all the stuff in that image?
    Oh by the way, I meant to say that that image of the Stargazer in drydock with other ships outside the drydock was spectacular. Did you model all the stuff in that image?

Thanks. Yep, made it all myself. Well, except the Earth, that's a NASA photo. It was a submission for the 2012 SOTL calendar, but it didn't get picked. I had to render that mofo in layers in TrueSpace 4 because it could handle higher resolution textures than TS7, but not as many objects loaded into a scene at once.
    Yep, made it all myself.

Wow.