Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1178 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,621Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    This is tangential to the thread, but I think still relevant enough. As you all know by this point I was part of the development team behind Stage 9, the fan recreation of the Enterprise-D. Unfortunately two weeks ago we were contacted by CBS and formally requested to cease and desist development of Stage 9. We tried to reach any sort of agreement with them, being open to any change whatsoever they requested, but in the end, we were forced to shut down production of Stage 9 entirely.

We made this video explaining the whole situation as best we could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0zycZdKymg

This whole thing has affected my ability to focus on work for the past week and a half, but I hope to continue work on the Challanger later this week, once things settle down a bit.

CBS can go f itself. Hard. That's all I can say without going on an expletive-laden rant. All I can say is that with the grace of your talents, Rekkert, our visions of Star Trek can still live on, via these commissions. That's something CBS can't take away. Getting back to Stage 9, all I can say is thank you for giving us a glimpse into what could have been the realization of every TNG fan's ultimate dream.
  • MalScribbleMalScribble0 Posts: 0Member
    This really, really sucks. I wasn't following the development of this project, but I did see the initial video that had been released on YT before it became the Stage 9 Project. Sad.

It seems we're going back to the Viacom days. Hell, Viacom didn't even seem to want Trek conventions. I wonder how CBS thinks they'll retain their fanbase in these days of such amazing fan art and a HUGE lack of decent official merchandise, both physical and digital.

I've seen screencaps of STO interiors. You've got to be kidding me. That was enough for me to decide not to play, even if I know one of the modelers and respect his work outside of STO greatly.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    It's pretty clear that CBS are incredibly sensitive to the threat of superior fan created products, which IMO only serve to make their own paltry efforts these days look even more like utter dreck.

Boo fckn hoo, CBS. Maybe you should hire people like this, instead of the talentless hacks you currently employ; rather than alienating the most talented portion of your fanbase.

Completely (selfishly! Haha) agree with Bolian though, as I for one am glad to have you with us - I don't think those CBS kids can art... ;)
    We still have the Orville.
    Soul Scream
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Sad to hear about STAGE 9. I was watching it over on YouTube (after only glancing around) and then it disappeared.

KEEP ON Rekkert. These are great interiors.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    The problem with Stage 9 is that is a direct competition to a published and licensed game, i.e. the new Bridge Crew, and it's free.
    If the licensee complained, then they had virtually no choice but to issue a C&D. They could have simply dropped a lawsuit instead; this leaves at least the window open for CBS to later look the other way.
    It's a great project and I'm sad to see it go, but it was infringing from the first moment they released it to the public.
    Even Rekkert's fantastic work here is potentially infringing, even though we're all clamoring for more.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I sure hope in some future, the project will be able to continue... It looked so impressive and come my end of my internship, I wanted to get some times to download and roam the Big D myself....
    But noooo, CorporateBS decides to off even more fans.....
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    At this point I'm wandering when will they start taking down renders of anything related to Star Trek.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    I14R10 wrote: »
    At this point I'm wandering when will they start taking down renders of anything related to Star Trek.

I'd say that's crossing the line. Fan-films and that Stage 9 project were a gray area, especially with that "Star Trek: Bridge Crew" game which was the reason that the Stage 9 project was shut down (and I can understand their reasoning). But going as far as shutting down fan-art and other stuff is definitely an overreach, not to mention one I won't stand for.

I don't see DC or Marvel complaining about art commissions related to their characters, or such. I mean, shutting down any artwork related to Trek would be way too extreme.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    yet.....
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2061 Central OhioPosts: 1,262Member
    Not to be the downer and derail the thread anymore, but as someone who's dabbled with fanfic and fan art for decades, the creators of these unlicensed works, myself included, know that any time the owners of the property decide they need to uphold their copyright, they can, and should. Hell one of my favorite authors on her books tours doesn't want to hear about fanfic for her stuff AT ALL because then she'd have to go after the person and get it removed and she doesn't want to do that to her fans. The copyright holder HAS to pursue people violating the copyrights or they lose them. And if you're a big corporation you can turn a blind eye until someone shoves it in your face and then you have to do something.

I am sorry about Stage 9, but I'm glad Rekkert is sticking around with the rest of us working on 3D art we all love to make and partake.
  • MalScribbleMalScribble0 Posts: 0Member
    Paid commissions, they all have a problem with.

Fan art, done for pleasure...not yet...
    Any updates? :D
  • RekkertRekkert4258 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    To answer some of the messages posted here, Bridge Crew has, to the best of our knowledge, not been a factor in the C&D. Still, we'll probably never know for sure.

Regarding what to do with fan games, companies can and do allow fan games to continue sometimes: MGM did it with Stargate Network, Capcom is doing it right now with Megaman, Sega did it with Sonic Mania (hell, CBS did it themselves with Star Trek RPG-X). It's something that's seen on a case by case basis, and apparently we were unlucky in the cards we were dealt.

Work's been exceptionally slow this past two weeks, as the futility of the attempts to reach any sort of agreement regarding Stage 9 left me feeling pretty tired and pointless. While it's within CBS's right to stop us, and we all knew it could happen, the total lack of communication or even acknowledgement of what we've done leaves me unsure of continuing to producing fan art of any kind in this universe. The delivery of the message felt worse than the message itself, if that makes sense.

Still, I've got commissions to fulfill and bills to pay, so you'll still be seeing me for the time being, even if the future seems uncertain now.

The aft consoles are now in place on the Challenger bridge. These are standing up stations, like the ones on Voyager. It's hard to see without graphics on the screens, but the shape of these is different from the side stations, without the horizontal cutout in the middle where the red alert indicator is. The center area will indeed be filled by an MSD as on the Ent-E and Voyager.

c1_03_by_rekkert-dcodkae.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Whatever universe you decide to work in it's always a pleasure to see your work. :thumb:
    We decided on a layout for the command chairs, as well as a material. The design of the chairs themselves might stay the same, or it might change, we'll see once other elements are in place.

I've also finalized the floor layout, slightly modifying the area under the tactical console to fit in more nicely, and further detailing the steps. The light under them is yellow as it is on the light fixtures in the Challenger ready room. Similar fixtures will be applied though the bridge where the alert indicators used to be.

c1_12_by_rekkert-dcoktdy.png
    c1_13_by_rekkert-dcoku2a.png
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    She's looking good! I'm eager to see it with the light fixtures, but as it is now, the yellow light seems to be clashing with the rest of the bridge. We may need to change those step lights to white light, so we just have a touch of yellow delivered by the fixtures.
    The yellow light is certainly weird as both the Ent-D and Ent-E used blue lighting strips on the bridge. Still I don't think it looks bad, just different to what we're used to, it does complement the color pallet rather than offer contrast as the blue lighting did.

Here are the vertical light fixtures in place at the back of the bridge.

c1_16_by_rekkert-dcom6zk.png
    Hmm, they don't quite look right to me - I think both because these appear slightly less warm than the Challenger versions, and also because those appeared to be set in an angled buttress taken from the TUC era bridges (to match the slope of the viewports).

It might work better if you make them just a hint warmer, and then contrast with blue light under the steps and some of those Excelsior/Voyager wall light fixtures in the turbolift alcoves :)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Color wise I feel like they fit very well. Lighting wise they don't look like lights at first glance. They just look like a decorative trim but if they were brighter that would make them pop a bit more. Also, like @Starscream said warm up the color a bit.
    Sweet updates! I'm digging the general layout so far! Is the little "box" with the viewscreen blinky lights (like the one on the Quasar bridge and the "Parallels" bridge) going to be permanent, or is it just a placeholder? Obviously, you know I like it, so I'm hoping it is permanent. :)
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    I don't mind the yellow lights. Yes it's different, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Though I do wonder if an Odyssey-style tactical console would fit better than the other one, although it's not my call.
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    I don't mind the yellow lights. Yes it's different, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Though I do wonder if an Odyssey-style tactical console would fit better than the other one, although it's not my call.

In a way I agree- the thick black stripe on that one is definitely a "First Contact era" design staple (and in fact I was going to ask Rekkert if he was planning on introducing any such decorative elements to the Conn/Ops consoles, etc). That said though, personally I've never been fond of the noticeable kink in the middle of the Odyssey tactical console, but I do quite like the understated little brass seam introduced to the horseshoe railing here. :)
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    The Tactical console curve feels a little thin and fragile among the rest of the room which feels more solid and rigid. Not sure if swapping it out is right, or adding some bulk to it somehow would make it feel more suitable.

The central strut of the Tactical station could possibly be replaced with the same kind of Y shape you see on the Sovereign Bridge consoles as an idea to differentiate it from the TNG era bridge?

blah.png

The green and blue parts of the Helm and Conn stations feels like it could be replaced, as it always struck me as an example of older tech being reused, but that's purely my head canon I guess. You could also consider replacing both consoles with something more First Contacty if you wanted to differentiate more.
    blah.png 225.5K
    @Starscream: The fixtures from the Challenger ready room are, like the rest of the set, redressed from Neelex's ship, so those definitely aren't angled. However it is true that they're more decorative than they are actual lights.

@BolianAdmiral: The plan so far is for the viewscreen box to stay. :)

After trying out a lot of different variations, we've come to a decision regarding the four forward consoles. These are based on the Bradbury consoles, but have different stands that mix in the Ent-D and E styles.

c1_17_by_rekkert-dcoyfwa.png
    c1_18_by_rekkert-dcoyfwr.png
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    @BolianAdmiral I'm a fan of the box too!

@Rekkert Looks great, the lines really help to give it another dimension. Could I see how another box would look hanging down from the top? Much like how Voyager had blinking dots rows on the top and bottom of the view-screen. Thanks!
    Ooh, I like that new CONN/OPS console design!
    I've been re-adding labels to the consoles and doors, plus the decorative light fixture on the front section of the bridge. There are also Nemesis-styled weapon lockers on each side of the side consoles.

c1_25_by_rekkert-dcoze2m.png
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972330 Posts: 1,207Member
    Nice consoles. The curves on them really help to integrate the horseshoe into the bridge.
  • prisoner881prisoner881336 Posts: 30Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    The yellow light is certainly weird as both the Ent-D and Ent-E used blue lighting strips on the bridge. Still I don't think it looks bad, just different to what we're used to, it does complement the color pallet rather than offer contrast as the blue lighting did.

Here are the vertical light fixtures in place at the back of the bridge.

c1_16_by_rekkert-dcom6zk.png

Just an observation: the thickness of the tactical console looks like it would be an ergonomic problem. I can see people barking their shins on it rather painfully, or even suffering injury if thrown about the bridge during combat. Ergonomic design usually avoids thin, sharp edges for this reason.