Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Nice replicator. Not sure I would have put it right next to the bathroom, but whatever, lol.
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    @BolianAdmiral :lol: I had the same thought, but it was either there or getting in the captain's or senior staff's way with your coffee every time they leave the Ready Room or Conference Room... I think the alcove It's in now would have less foot traffic and is more out of the way. Even if It's next the the restroom :)
  • MalScribbleMalScribble0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice replicator. Not sure I would have put it right next to the bathroom, but whatever, lol.

It's a surprisingly common occurrence here, especially doctor's waiting rooms.
  • FANGsFANGs414 Posts: 79Member
    If you add cupholders, could you also add safety belts to the chairs please? ;-P
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    No need, every seat has a built-in tractor beam.

they're only a problem if you desperately need to poop :lol:
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Unless Starfleet uses three seashells you'll be grateful for that vicinity! ;)
    In all honesty, I’ve always disliked the idea of food replicators on the bridge, in all of Trek in general. It makes no sense to me because one, we simply never saw it used, so it just took up space that could have been devoted to something else. Two, there’s no real place on the bridge to put the food or drink and enjoy it, let alone secure it from being tossed about during a battle. Three, TOS had the best approach, by having the yeoman bring the drinks to the bridge crew, then taking it away once they were done. That’s what TNG should have done, as well. Either that, or just put the replicators in the conference lounge, where it makes more sense, as they’d have the time, space, and stability to enjoy a bit of food and drink.
  • FANGsFANGs414 Posts: 79Member
    Once the captain cries for more toilet paper, you desperately need replicators everywhere
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    @BolianAdmiral I’ve always viewed it as just a replicator. Yes, it can replicate food and drink, but also padds or anything else they may need like medication. IMO it should be normal onboard a 24th century starship to always have a replicator nearby.
    JMP11 wrote: »
    @BolianAdmiral I’ve always viewed it as just a replicator. Yes, it can replicate food and drink, but also padds or anything else they may need like medication. IMO it should be normal onboard a 24th century starship to always have a replicator nearby.

It's certainly a good point regarding easy replicable equipment; one more way that we tend to ignore the potential for these C24th devices of convenience - we keep looking at them from our rather primitive C21st perspective. :)

I do also agree with BolianAdmiral re having food/drink on the bridge (conversely I've always loved Sulu's little table and teacup setup :lol: ). It'd help if they'd thought the bridge design through a little better for TNG/+ and maybe included flat insets at each station for a cup and/or PADD to sit...

A viable alternative could've been to situate the replicator in the Conf Lounge corridor just off the bridge I guess *shrug*
    I've just always considered a ship's bridge to be a place of work, not relaxation. I can see the captain or senior officers having a cup of coffee or whatever at times, but again, they never showed a good place on the bridge where one would rest a coffee cup when It's not being held. At least OPS in DS9 had lots of large tables and flat surfaces. The conference lounge makes the most sense to me, because It's a place with a large flat table where everyone can gather for a "business meeting", and whatnot. But IMO, the bridge is just for work, and everyone's focus should be on their stations, not on a cup of coffee. Just my two cents, of course.

Then again, Jellico is my favorite captain, so... lol.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann696 Posts: 1,339Member
    But you're also spending eight hours there at a time, you could need a quick glass of water or something. Having the replicator there means you can make a small glass, drink it, then dematerialize it and get back to work rather than having a canteen or something nearby. It's also handy for other things you might need on the bridge, like replacement parts for a blown-out console, a quick medical brace or something That's not in the emergency medkits... It's easy to forget that the replicator isn't a vending machine, It's a tool, and in the heart of a starship, It's a tool worth having.
    I've just always considered a ship's bridge to be a place of work, not relaxation...IMO, the bridge is just for work, and everyone's focus should be on their stations, not on a cup of coffee.

Real world, people work with a mug of coffee all the time - in both military and civilian roles. Mostly my concerns for TNG/+ revolve around nowhere to put the mugs, and all that blinking stainable carpet :lol:
    ...they never showed a good place on the bridge where one would rest a coffee cup when It's not being held....At least OPS in DS9 had lots of large tables and flat surfaces.

Exactly! Why is it that uptight Cardassian designers managed to come up with this but Starfleet ones couldn't?! What gets me the most is that by the time of VOY and FC the production design team still hadn't really rectified this.
    Then again, Jellico is my favorite captain, so... lol.

I've airlocked people for less than this. :devil:
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    I agree that It's not really feasible to expect the bridge replicator to be used for actual food, though I agree it would be useful as a glorified water cooler on which you then discard the glass for it to be dematerialized (and maybe rations during an emergency where the bridge is locked down); and indeed I would imagine It's primary function would be as a tool/medical replicator rather than a food one.

I guess this is the reason why so many fan made deck plans have a little 'officers mess' right outside the bridge, it would allow for the command crew to eat or grab a snack and get back to work rather quickly, instead of drinking on the bridge or going farther away from their station every time they're hungry.

I've finished the LCARS for the conn/ops stations. I've also modified the material surrounding the viewscreen, to make it more complementary to the rest of the bridge colors.

c1_18_by_rekkert-dcprw6u.png
    c1_19_by_rekkert-dcprw7j.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    LCARS still looking great - in fact I think That's the best I've seen the viewscreen blinkies look so far. Whose idea was it to make the add-on "target" box the same darker color as the surround? :)
    Starscream wrote: »
    Whose idea was it to make the add-on "target" box the same darker color as the surround? :)

I asked Rekkert to do that on the Quasar's bridge, but IDK if he was asked again this time to do it here. My reason for wanting it so, was to make it look like it was "original" or "factory installed" equipment from the get-go, and not some bit of equipment that was shoehorned in place after the fact, like in "Parallels".
    Odd, I seem to remember yours as being the same color as the rest of the bridge; maybe more noticeable because of the color change here - it works really well.

ETA: Went back and compared a WIP shot of yours Bolian, and although yours is of course likewise the same material, the darker scheme overall here is having more of an effect - it hides the fact that the box is a bit clunky and of course makes the LCARS pop more :)
    The “Parallels” box with lights on the tactical station was the same color as the bridge on the Quasar, again, for the same reasons I cited above.
    Yup, I recall they did that when it was used again in All Good Things, too :)
    Indeed, the viewscreen box was copied over from the Quasar with the same material as the viewscreen, thus when I modified one, the other was modified as well. :) Like BolianAdmiral says, using the same color makes the box seems like it belongs there, instead of looking like an add-on.

We've got new chairs, and a tweaked material to go along with them, to better mirror the leather used on the Enterprise-E.

c1_20_by_rekkert-dcpvuds.png
    c1_21_by_rekkert-dcpvuiz.png
    Good job on those chairs! :) One of the few things I liked from the E-E :D

The only thing I'd argue is that the Exec and Counselor seats now look somewhat plain and out-of-place in comparison. Have you guys considered modifying a set of TNG versions?
    Well... :D

c1_22_by_rekkert-dcpyoql.png
    c1_23_by_rekkert-dcpyor6.png

Here are the new command chairs, they're a mix of the TNG Captain's chair, the chairs I did yesterday, and that post-Nemesis Ent-E chair that then got reused on Enterprise's final season.
    :lol:
    Now THAT is a variant of the 2nd season Captain's chair I really, really like! It looks so much better to my eyes than what we saw on the show from season 2 onward.
    I think I prefer a bit more lumbar support personally and favor a vertical opening rather than horizontal, but they certainly fit with the smaller seats. :)
    The Ent-E command chairs really didn't fit in with the small seats, they were a direct succesor to the Ent-D command chairs, but looked disconnected in there. My attempt here was to create some chairs which indeed fit in better with the small seats.

I've further tweaked the chairs, changing up the materials a bit and adding some more details on the supports, plus modifying the backrests and the Captain's headrest. Also, the lighting on the steps is now a deep blue, on the same style as on the Ent-E.

c1_23_by_rekkert-dcq3mh4.png
    c1_22_by_rekkert-dcq3mgr.png
    The blue underlighting is a huge improvement - it makes the contrasting yellow lights look a much more warm and noticeable feature! :thumb:

I like what you've done with the other chair bases, too (the extra carpeted layer)
    @Starscream: Thanks, I think it looks better as well. :)

I've finished the remaining LCARS panels.

c1_24_by_rekkert-dcq6x11.png
    c1_25_by_rekkert-dcq6rl1.png
    Beautiful.