Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    @BolianAdmiral I understand, keep it simple, but IMO that space feels like it's missing something. Maybe add the Starfleet ship hull banner style to it? Just a thought :) I was skeptical about how this room would look at first, but the space is really growing on me.

idea.jpg
    112493.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Well, the ODN ports aren't finished and lit yet, so once they are, they'll add a small splash of color to the otherwise largely plain beige wall. And, like I said, the other areas of the room will have more going on, too. Plus you have the LCARS from the replicators. I'm glad you like it so far, though. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    I've kept working on the chairs, sculpting details in and making them less rigid and look more like real fabric. I've also worked on the tables and, just as a test, got several around the room.

c1_18_by_rekkert-dchmixt.png
    Adam Warnock
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    :o :o :o Holy crap, that looks AWESOME!!!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2069 Central OhioPosts: 1,264Member
    Indeed!

So when is lunch? ;)
    Adam Warnock
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Gentlebeings! Something new, from Forcas III? :P
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 413Member
    I'd like to see Voyager bridge in TNG colours
    SATR wrote: »
    I'd like to see Voyager bridge in TNG colours

Then maybe you should DM Rekkert and discuss his commission fees. ;)
    I've cut the holes for the front facing windows, which, following the pattern from the USS Farragut model, are asymmetrical in both number of windows on each side, and location of those windows (the table here is centered on the X axis of the room).

It goes to show the scale of the room the fact that all the tables in Ten Forward enter just on this balcony area.

c1_19_by_rekkert-dci2u6u.png
    c1_20_by_rekkert-dci2u69.png
    c1_21_by_rekkert-dci3061.png
    very nice. The windows are looking great! I love the improvements to the ceiling windows, and as I said in the email, I'm very glad you followed the Farragut model's layout - IMO, the asymmetry helps drive home that the Quasar is but "another ship in the fleet", and not the Enterprise. I'm continually amazed at how physically large this room would be in real life. It might even be physically larger than the TMP Rec Deck, but IDK for sure. Looking forward to seeing what new details are added to this area!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I've cut the holes for the front facing windows, which, following the pattern from the USS Farragut model, are asymmetrical in both number of windows on each side, and location of those windows (the table here is centered on the X axis of the room).
    Jeez that's an OCD nightmare, lol
    Glad someone else said that :lol:
    Hahaha, yeah the asymmetrical windows are weird, but it give it some sort of uniqueness, even if the OCD in me wants to mirror them. :p

I've added in some support structures at the sides of the windows, with couches all around them. These support beams will also go into deck 3 and merge into the design there.

c1_22_by_rekkert-dci7p2w.png
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Hahaha, yeah the asymmetrical windows are weird, but it give it some sort of uniqueness, even if the OCD in me wants to mirror them. :p

I've added in some support structures at the sides of the windows, with couches all around them. These support beams will also go into deck 3 and merge into the design there.

c1_22_by_rekkert-dci7p2w.png

I'd imagine the asymmetrical window placement was an error on the part of the model makers, so I say mirror them.
    Nah, it's intentional, the whole saucer's got different windows from left to right. Also, we're talking about the repaint done for Generations, so it certainly wasn't a rushed job. it's not unprecedented either, the Ambassador, Sydney, Connie, and Connie-refit all have asymmetrical windows. :)
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Very nice. The windows are looking great! I love the improvements to the ceiling windows, and as I said in the email, I'm very glad you followed the Farragut model's layout - IMO, the asymmetry helps drive home that the Quasar is but "another ship in the fleet", and not the Enterprise. I'm continually amazed at how physically large this room would be in real life. It might even be physically larger than the TMP Rec Deck, but IDK for sure. Looking forward to seeing what new details are added to this area!

I say it would be bigger than the TMP Rec Deck. To which extent, I don't know, but seeing it this way, I think it would be considerably bigger.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Nah, it's intentional, the whole saucer's got different windows from left to right. Also, we're talking about the repaint done for Generations, so it certainly wasn't a rushed job. it's not unprecedented either, the Ambassador, Sydney, Connie, and Connie-refit all have asymmetrical windows. :)

I get that, but I think the chance of them misaligning a row of windows along the front-center of a key part of the ship, by only one window, on purpose, is remote.
    I noticed a (somewhat blunt) comment on TrekBBS re how it currently looks like a "banquet hall" on the lower level...

Now, I do understand where they're coming from - you could use something to break it up a bit visually.

But, more importantly, it occurs to me that you would need to break it up purely for acoustics: In a large space like this, with nothing in between groups of people to absorb sound, you'd find that the noise of each conversation travels, to the point that it's hard to engage in discussion with anyone else without hearing an ever-increasing background noise as everyone competes to be heard. I experienced this effect in a bar chain in the UK once, where they foolishly converted an old cinema - it was simply too loud to enjoy a relaxing conversation over a drink due to the large open space.
    Yeah that comment forgets the fact that I just placed the tables there as a test, it's in no way the final placement for them... It certainly won't look so copy-paste-y once I've worked on the other furniture pieces and a proper layout for it.
    Yes, I thought that was the case. :)

I'd recommend including some form of partition between groups of seating to help mitigate the aforementioned noise issue, and maybe some variation in the floor height itself - perhaps the middle area could be set slightly lower? It could be lined with comfey sofa type seating, and filled with low tables similar to the gaming tables in TMP...

Of course, I'm just throwing ideas out, as I'm not sure yet what you and BolianAdmiral actually have planned! :D
    @Starscream: Yes... of course we already have a planned layout...
    in-theory-hd-225.jpg
    :p

I've worked a bit on the forward section of deck 3, adding some more replicators and wall details, as well as lighting below the balcony. This is all very subject to change and in-progress at this point, but it's taking shape. :)

c1_23_by_rekkert-dcil4sx.png
    @Starscream: Yes... of course we already have a planned layout...
    in-theory-hd-225.jpg
    :p

:lol:
    Progress has been slow as the location of the stairs proved to be quite difficult the decide, among other stuff that needed modifying. Now the basic shape of the stairs is done, as well as a the base for the balcony handrail. Work on this area is just starting...

c1_24_by_rekkert-dcjc0p9.png
    Hmm. Not what I expected, in all honesty! :lol:

For safety's sake, I'd have put stairs at port and starboard leading down and aft, with a landing that butts up against those lit columns, and then the bottom set of stairs turning 90 degrees to point towards the ship's centreline.

The reasons for this are as follows: Splitting the stairs in half make it less dangerous for anyone who trips (not as far to fall!), while having two stairways at p/s ensure there is one more way to get down in an emergency. :)
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    How 'bout an escalator? They HAVE used escalators on military ships (such as on an aircraft carrier!).
    The stairs are one area where it's been giving us a lot of headaches, because on one hand, you want the area to be visually interesting, yet not too busy or cluttered-up. Yet, on the other hand, there's a lot of empty space in the center of the room. There are a few ideas we're playing with.
    Yeah, I totally get that; it's not easy. I think personally I'd use interior supports to break things up - and also provide source of discrete lighting and decoration.

Even keeping a central staircase though, you'd still end up having to split the stairs halfway down for safety's sake, in either a studio set or a "real" 2-3-Fore...

So, why not split this middle staircase, so that it diverges left and right? If you're keeping it as a solid mass, you could put another replicator into the wall that would be created under the landing facing aft, or maybe even cut in a passage with a smaller set of stairs, leading down and forward into Deck4. :)

(Assuming these aren't already among your list of ideas! :lol: )
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    I would like to suggest replacing the single "awkward" looking staircase, with two more interesting multi-level staircases either side.

dual-staircase.jpg

It would look nicer if there was a gentle curve to the mid level platform, and then a gentle curve to the ground. But this is just a quick photoshop mock ;)
    112516.jpg
    We tried all the methods mentioned here. :lol:

In the end, we decided it was best to return to the old idea of just having the stairs inside the walls, going from the side alcove and ending up in a door next to the entrance in deck 2, where the mannequin stands. This'll keep the space looking more open and clean.

I've also completely redone the ceiling on top of the balcony, to have new lights reminiscent of that on TNG's corridors. The exact same pattern is repeated below on deck 3.

c1_27_by_rekkert-dcjkyw8.png
    c1_26_by_rekkert-dcjkyvb.png
    c1_25_by_rekkert-dcjkyul.png
    I've added some details braking up the long ceiling lights that were recently added, and on deck 3, these details continue up to the wall for some further detailing there. I've also changed the light fixtures there. The wall itself is now finished, though some potted plants will be placed on the spots that were left empty.

As you can see, the center of the room now has a further step down, and a shape that goes in line with the balcony on top. Other changes include the little spotlights and the set of Ten Forward doors added.

c1_28_by_rekkert-dcjq36w.png