Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    You know, I always wondered what this would have looked like if it had been colored more closely to the rest of the Ent-D sets - it was too blatantly out of place as it was (though the lower aft station and Turbolift alcoves played a big part of that, too...). Shame, because the natural curve of the walls would otherwise have worked nicely with the TNG aesthetic, IMO. Be interesting to see if it works better as the Galaxy's BBridge here! :)

What was inaccurate with your Ent-C viewscreen, btw?

ETA: If the Turbo alcoves hadn't been flared out still, that would have eliminated the problem... :rolleyes:
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann635 Posts: 1,290Member
    What's funny is that the Odyssey bridge you just did seems like it would be perfect for a battle bridge that fits the rest of the Ent-D aesthetic.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    OK as with the tactical and other standup consoles (as WELL as the Conn / Ops stations even though they weren't painted in this regard) - I'd like them to be colored like this console here:

timesquared_hd_382.jpg

In "The Arsenal of Freedom," the tactical and two other standing stations were colored this way.

@Starscream - I told Rekkert about this - to incorporate the same gray/aqua color scheme for this bridge as it is for the Galaxy's main bridge (and sickbay). This battle bridge is going to be very similar to the first season Enterprise-D battle bridge, but there are going to be a few differences.

I also have some reference material that you might be able to use. A while back, someone did a rather good reproduction of the USS Stargazer bridge (which was redressed from the battle bridge) - these might help: http://fesarius.web.fc2.com/NCC-2893.html
    Refs for me? I'm a little confused now haha :)

The layout of the Stargazer / BBridge is actually quite nice, though it doesn't suit the a Connie IMO. Such an obvious cut'n'shut of the Enterprise refit is jarring, regardless -- as is the black rubber floor when used on the Ent-D BBridge.

Like I said though, the layout - particularly the position of the railings above the lower egress doors - is nice, and reminds me a little of Voyager. If only they'd been able to do it justice (like I expect Rekkert will)!
    Starscream wrote: »
    Refs for me? I'm a little confused now haha :)

The layout of the Stargazer / BBridge is actually quite nice, though it doesn't suit the a Connie IMO. Such an obvious cut'n'shut of the Enterprise refit is jarring, regardless -- as is the black rubber floor when used on the Ent-D BBridge.

Like I said though, the layout - particularly the position of the railings above the lower egress doors - is nice, and reminds me a little of Voyager. If only they'd been able to do it justice (like I expect Rekkert will)!

Well, we don't have to go with the rubber deck - I mean, this isn't the Enterprise-D battle bridge - we COULD go with carpet if it would fit better.

Actually, the ref pics were for Rekkert. Thought they would come in handy for him since he commented how reference material was thin.
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    Even though the look doesn't fit with any other part of the Enterprise-D we saw on screen, I love the black rubber deck on the battle bridge. I think it makes for a better grip in battle and really just looks awesome :cool:

But the USS Galaxy could have a more consistent color scheme.
    @JMP11 - a more consistent color scheme is something that is up my sleeve when doing this. It will have the same gray/aqua tone as the main bridge and sickbay mostly.

@Rekkert - Here is some reference material regarding the USS Stargazer's bridge, which of course is redressed from the Enterprise-D battle bridge. Hopefully these should be of some use to you! ;)
    bridgeplan_constellation_seanr.gif

This and the previous image was taken from a thread for a Constellation-class technical manual - but this should also help with the ceiling of the battle bridge:
    constellation_deck1ceiling.jpg

And here's a another reference (using the actual plans)
    gazerbridge-1.jpg
    @Rusty yeah, I think consistency would be best - particularly when we bear in mind that even sickbay and engineering spaces are carpeted!

@Rekkert there's one thing in particular that I'm noticing really highlights that the bridge was ripped from the set of the Enterprise refit: The way the rear ceiling plane (with the rectangular downlights) stops, and then curves upwards to the centre of the ceiling. When you then look at the shape it creates on the wall housing the Ready Room door, it's quite jarring.

To remedy this (depending how canon this needs to be, @Rusty?) I'd suggest instead extending that flat ceiling plane across, until it mirrors and meets the circular perimeter created by the forward wall. The light panels could then also be extended inwards/forwards to evoke more the ceiling on the main bridge.

If that doesn't make any sense let me know and I'll "do a doodle" :lol:
    I think i need you to do the doodle, Starscream.
    @Rusty yeah I figured - see attached. :)

Apologies for the sloppiness - it's well past midnight here and I ought to be up early so I'm rushing a bit... also forgot to add in the extended overhead light panels, but meh. :/

pdixwat8.jpg

The intention was to increase the cohesion of the set, and eliminate some of the parts that "give the game away" in that it's obvious how/where they simply sliced into the old refit bridge.
    112408.jpg
    @Rusty yeah I figured - see attached. :)

Apologies for the sloppiness - it's well past midnight here and I ought to be up early so I'm rushing a bit... also forgot to add in the extended overhead light panels, but meh. :/

pdixwat8.jpg

The intention was to increase the cohesion of the set, and eliminate some of the parts that "give the game away" in that it's obvious how/where they simply sliced into the old refit bridge.

Well, I'd prefer the way they originally did it. I never had that much of a problem with the way they "sliced" into the old refit bridge.

Anyways for Rekkert, this might help too:
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/5/5d/USS_Enterprise_bridge_Phase_II_set_construction_blueprint.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140924155745&path-prefix=en

I was wrestling with several ideas when it came to the Galaxy battle bridge. Another one I had in mind would have been a variation of the "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered" country Enterprise-A bridge. With this particular version, the aft parameter of the Enterprise-A bridge would be used (the turbolifts/master situation/communications/science stuff) with a forward section that echoed more of the Enterprise-D battle bridges we've seen (with additional doors for the Ready Room and Head). The parameter stations would be this from port to starboard: Science (the full length one), Mission Ops (small stand-up station), Master Situation (yeah like the Enterprise-A), Environment (the other small stand-up beside master situation), and a full length Engineering station. Behind the command chair would be the full-length Tactical console (a la the TNG battle bridges we saw in "Encounter at Farpoint"/"The Arsenal of Freedom"), and of course the swing-out Conn and Ops stations in front of the command chair.

I wonder what the rest of you think of this style?
  • RekkertRekkert4125 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,314Member
    I like the idea of the black rubbery floor, mostly because it gives me a chance to work with something different. :lol:

@Starscream: The Ent-C viewscreen area would've had a slightly incorrect curvature and circumference.

@Rusty0918: Those are all good references, thanks! The main ones I've been using are this and this, as they're the most accurate I've been able to find. Even the Stargazer one you posted above is from a concept of the room rather than the actual construction blueprint, so they have quite a different shape. it's a really hard one to pin down.

Regarding the Enterprise-A based battle bridge, I like it, could be a cool concept for a Nebula/New Orleans bridge, though I think it would be way too big for a battle bridge (the Enterprise-A bridge being wider than the Enterprise-D one).

Anyway, I've been tweaking the main shape a bit more from what little behind the scenes photos are of the battle bridge/Stargazer. The steps area is very blocky right now, of course more details there will be added later.

c1_03_by_rekkert-dcden4e.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    OK let's just go with what we originally planned! ;)
    Furthermore...i changed my mind about the side consoles...i do want them facing forward instead of facing the bulkheads (but I still want the port display to be a Science screen while the other to be an Engineering screen)
    @Rusty0918: Will do! :)

I've started work on the door alcoves, and re-did the lights at the bridge's edge.

c1_04_by_rekkert-dcdfayf.png
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    Looks good so far. I do like those alcoves.
    @Rusty fair enough - just an idea :) I think my OCD probably overreacts at the sight of bits like that, hahaha!

@Rekkert re the viewscreen: Details, details! It looked fine to me... (which would be why you're the one making these, and not me :lol: )

Does anyone have an actual figure for how much larger the Enterprise-A bridge was vs the refit? I always figured it must be a few feet to allow for the somewhat wider stations, but otherwise I'd assumed it could still squeeze into the dome... Of course, this is ignoring the frankly bizarre re-positioning of the turbolifts. I could just barely accept the TFF positions, but someone was clearly smoking crack when it came to TUC.
    :rolleyes:
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2031 Central OhioPosts: 1,254Member
    @Rusty fair enough - just an idea :) I think my OCD probably overreacts at the sight of bits like that, hahaha!

@Rekkert re the viewscreen: Details, details! It looked fine to me... (which would be why you're the one making these, and not me :lol: )

Does anyone have an actual figure for how much larger the Enterprise-A bridge was vs the refit? I always figured it must be a few feet to allow for the somewhat wider stations, but otherwise I'd assumed it could still squeeze into the dome... Of course, this is ignoring the frankly bizarre re-positioning of the turbolifts. I could just barely accept the TFF positions, but someone was clearly smoking crack when it came to TUC.
    :rolleyes:

Overall it was the same size if you DIDn't figure in the turbolifts. If you figure in the lifts then you have to TARDIS the crap out of it.
    So far so good. Looks pretty sharp to me!

@Starscream - I didn't really see any problems with the redress.

@ashleytinger and @Starscream - someone did a schematic of the Enterprise-A bridge form TUC and was able to fit the turbolifts in here: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/Starfleet-Bridge-Variations/Page_23.jpg - though I'm not sure how correct it was to scale.

@Rekkert - you know once you finish this, you might want to use the bridge (or most of it) for that Stage 9 project of yours!
    FYI, that blueprint is rather inaccurate - if you look at the actual set, the Turbo alcove segments are actually not as wide as the console ones -- the blueprint shows them all at the same width.

More importantly though, those turboshafts are way too offset from the exterior hardpoints on the model, which were placed to match the placement on set. This is why I could just barely stand the TFF set, but find the TUC one too much (even if I prefer the decor :D )
    FYI, that blueprint is rather inaccurate - if you look at the actual set, the Turbo alcove segments are actually not as wide as the console ones -- the blueprint shows them all at the same width.

More importantly though, those turboshafts are way too offset from the exterior hardpoints on the model, which were placed to match the placement on set. This is why I could just barely stand the TFF set, but find the TUC one too much (even if I prefer the decor :D )

I had a feeling it wasn't totally accurate. Yeah, one would take for granted that the turbolift alcove segments are the same width.

@Rekkert - don't forget that like the Dobrovolksy and the Galaxy bridges, I do want an access hatch (probably in front of Conn and Ops) on the battle bridge. Me and my access hatches! You gotta be prepared for everything!
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    access hatch or firefighter poles? LOL

There has to be access when turbolifts are out of action obviously.
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks!

Regarding the Ent-A bridge, yes there's no way it fits into the hull of the ship, it's way bigger than it needed to be.

@Rusty0918: Hahaha, don't worry, I've already planed for the access hatch. And yes, like sickbay, it's probably gonna end up in Stage9 sooner or later. ;)

I've added most of the remaining lights to the aft section of the bridge, as well as the beginnings of the railings and the side cutouts underneath them.

Now that the overall shape is as accurate as it gets, I'm surprised by how claustrophobic this bridge feels. it's clear now why they expanded it so much in future appearances, it probably wasn't very comfortable to film it.

c2_04_by_rekkert-dcdivvm.png
    c3_01_by_rekkert-dcdivw0.png
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks!

Regarding the Ent-A bridge, yes there's no way it fits into the hull of the ship, it's way bigger than it needed to be.

The Enterprise Refit bridge only *just* fits into the hull but doesn't leave much work for the actual structure or skin...
    @Rekkert - that reminds me of the novelization of the TNG episode "Relics," in which Picard talks to Scotty about the Stargazer and mentions that he misses that "cramped little bridge." It fits here since the Stargazer bridge is a redress of the battle bridge.
    The Enterprise Refit bridge only *just* fits into the hull but doesn't leave much work for the actual structure or skin...

Exactly, the new bridge appeared noticeably wider. And although it does look better, I have to question whatever dubious wisdom led to the re-sizing.

Maybe it was to more easily fit Shatner's ego in TFF? :D
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    I wager the claustrophobic feel (at least as it is now) is due in large part to the extremely dark colors and lighting. The 1st season version of the BB was okay, but really, I think the best version of the TNG BB was the way they made it look in "Best of Both Worlds". The new command chair, the animated graphics in the background, the improved ceiling light - all worked to really convey the feel that it was a "working" no-nonsense command center. IMO.

bestofbothworldstwo243.jpg

bestofbothworldstwo255.jpg
    Agreed, I quite liked that version :)
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Agreed, I quite liked that version :)

The LCARS displays don't seem very practical for bridge or battle situations. But, it feels better than the obvious Enterprise Refit bridge redress
    it's true, the upper displays could have been a little more tactical rather than just "generic control panel" :lol: