Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBattle Carrier Redesign

• SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    I hit a little bit of a creative block today with the island details so I decided to start greebling the main hull.

New Hull 76.jpg
    111715.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    Everything is looking really good. I like the details in the engine section. :)
    Everything is looking really good. I like the details in the engine section. :)

Thanks evil_genius_180!
    I'm really trying to get the model done by the end of the month so I can get the book cover done and get back to editing the book and publishing it.
    Then I can start on the next book and build a model of the ship used by the main character in the series. :):thumb:
    I've been in greeble hell today and will probably be there for the next few days! :)

New Hull 78.jpg
    111729.jpg
    Damn, dude. I'd go crazy doing all of that. But, it looks great, and it's going to be totally worth it in the end. :)
    Damn, dude. I'd go crazy doing all of that. But, it looks great, and it's going to be totally worth it in the end. :)

I went crazy years ago! LOL!
    Thanks, I really like how it's turning out and I think it will look way better on the book cover than the first design. :)
    SeanP wrote: »
    I went crazy years ago! LOL!

That's OK, you're in good company around here. :D
    That's OK, you're in good company around here. :D

True, very true! :)
    More greebles - greeble greeble greeble greeble.
    Getting closer to finishing the main hull.

New Hull 80.jpg
    111731.jpg
    Well I've had enough of greebling for today.
    I should have the main hull done tomorrow.
    I think I'm going to go back through it and make the greebles a little bit more pronounced.
    They're not showing up as much as I would like.

New Hull 81.jpg
    111732.jpg
    Okay so I bumped up the height of all the greebles and re-rendered it.
    I think it will be just right once I turn up the shadow sampling for the production rendering.

New Hull 82.jpg
    111734.jpg
    Main hull is finished now.
    Moving on to the edge of the flight deck.

New Hull 83.jpg
    111738.jpg
    That's insane detail. Great work. :thumb:
    That's insane detail. Great work. :thumb:

Thank you sir! :)

Didn't have much time to work on it today - just a little more greebling. :)

New Hull 84.jpg
    111748.jpg
    Finished greebling the nose and the edge of the flight deck this morning.
    Going to switch gears and start adding detail into the remaining bare spots.

New Hull 85.jpg

New Hull 86.jpg

New Hull 87.jpg
    111749.jpg111750.jpg111751.jpg
    Great work. :)
  • StarriggerStarrigger476 Posts: 702Member
    Well I've had enough of greebling for today.
    I should have the main hull done tomorrow.
    I think I'm going to go back through it and make the greebles a little bit more pronounced.
    They're not showing up as much as I would like.

New Hull 81.jpg

Comes in late to the party...

I am loving the way this model has progressed, much more refined and mature then where it started. Bravo!
    I would however, agree with you that there is a small issue with the greebles, and I think it is a matter of scale. Its like the model is on a scale of a "Star Destroyer" but the greebles are on a "Death Star" scale. Perhaps they are too uniform as well. no real treats or surprises for the eye. break it up a bit, something like on the right:

greeblesTest.jpg

other then that.. GOOD LORD MAN! You're a Greeble beast!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972332 Posts: 1,210Member
    ^^ Agreed. Other than that, it all looks great.
    Thanks guys!

I can adjust the size and height of the greebles a little bit as I am using a plugin - which is also why there is no real diversity in the greebles.
    I am going to see how it all looks after adjusting the ray trace samples and how it looks on my book cover before I make any changes.

I too am much happier with how this version of the carrier is turning out.
    I'm getting excited about getting it finished and on my book cover. :)
    Just as an FYI I took some final measurements of this thing and compared them to a Star Destroyer.
    From what I found online a Star Destroyer is 1600 meters or 5200 feet long which is 80 feet short of a mile.
    My Battle Carrier measures 2478 meters or 8131 feet long which is 1.54 miles.
    It is 1560 feet tall by 3440 feet wide.
    She is over 7 times the length of the new Gerald R Ford class aircraft carrier.

To quote Dr. Leonard McCoy in Star Trek 6 - "By God, that's a big ship."
  • StarriggerStarrigger476 Posts: 702Member
    Thanks guys!

I can adjust the size and height of the greebles a little bit as I am using a plugin - which is also why there is no real diversity in the greebles...

Just thinking, I don't know which tool you are using, but would scaling down the mesh of your model, greebling, then scaling it back up give you bigger detail?
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Just thinking, I don't know which tool you are using, but would scaling down the mesh of your model, greebling, then scaling it back up give you bigger detail?

If I understand what you are saying correctly, the way this thing is built I can't do that.
    With this plugin I have adjustability in the number, size, height, pattern and shape of the greebles themselves.
    Like I said I'm going to see what it looks like when I do the final render and if I don't like the result I will go back and adjust a few things.
    Thanks for the suggestion though. :)
    I got tired of greebling and adding small details this afternoon so rather than take a break I started to lay out the flight deck and added the registry numbers.

New Hull 90.jpg
    111768.jpg
    Done Laying out the "decals" on the flight deck and all the bays.
    Tomorrow I start the small detail work again.

New Hull 91.jpg
    111776.jpg
    Today I started and finished the greebling on the superstructure. Just a little more modeling to do on the bow and then on to the paint job, the lights and the special effects. For curiosity's sake I threw a sun yellow spotlight at it to see what it would look like with some shadows. Considering it has just a flat white material on it I think it looks pretty good. It'll only get better once I apply the finished material.

New Hull 94.jpg

New Hull 95.jpg
    111777.jpg111778.jpg
    Great stuff, dude. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like finished. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Amazing looking work. I love both the design and the little details of it!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    WOOOHOOO!!! The modeling is finished, now onto the paint job, the special effects and the lighting.

New Hull 97.jpg

New Hull 98.jpg

New Hull 99.jpg

New Hull 100.jpg
    111783.jpg111784.jpg111785.jpg111786.jpg
    Great stuff, dude. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like finished. :)

Thank you sir! :)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Amazing looking work. I love both the design and the little details of it!

Thank you very much! :)