Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP Excelsior JJverse

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
edited November 2014 in Work in Progress #1
I am trying to do an Excelsior in the JJverse. But I don't want to redo the complete design look but make some minor design changes, maybe...Since I really love the original one. So, not much for now but the basic.

excel00.jpg

excel01.jpg

excel02.jpg
107234.jpg
Post edited by komaro on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    This ought to be interesting. I'm not overly fond of many of the designs in the JJ-verse, but it will be interesting to see how you convert a classic design like the Excelsior into that style. :)
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    This ought to be interesting. I'm not overly fond of many of the designs in the JJ-verse, but it will be interesting to see how you convert a classic design like the Excelsior into that style. :)

You won't see a big round engine design for sure. I want to stay with the style of the original (Art Deco I think) and bring more logical/aero additions. In the end, it's possible it will look like the original anyway...but it's a good practice
    komaro wrote: »
    You won't see a big round engine design for sure.

That's good to know. I think fat, round nacelles would look bad with the Excelsior design.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Well, let's see where that one goes.....
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    I'm of the opinion that the Vengeance from Into Darkness is very much a JJ Verse Excelsior equivalent. Possibly a design hijacked by Section 31 for use as a warship. But it has things like advanced warp drive, a similar deflector dish structure, and overall similar structures.
    I just kinda wanted to amend that to say that I'm really interested in the direction you're taking and I'm excited to see more. I didn't mean to, in any way, denigrate your work!
    No problem Gerb200. But I always find the Vengeance to be more like...transformer feel to it. Or kind of a model that has a ton of square/triangle pieces. But if you look at the Excelsior and Enterprise B, I think the style is like those old vintage concept cars. That said I have worked on the hull, a bit more fat on the bottom. I might deform it later to be slimmer. Don't mind the nacelle support, it is just for judging the position/angle of it. Now, going to work...

excel03.jpg

excel04.jpg

excel05.jpg
    Deformed the neck and hull. Begun the nacelles, not entirely sure about the length of it, but that was the shape in my original drawing.

excel06.jpg

excel07.jpg

excel08.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    That's good to know. I think fat, round nacelles would look bad with the Excelsior design.

In the JJ-Verse anything goes.
    Saquist wrote: »

Well I will put lens flares later, so you won't see the engines or 70% of the image anyway. ;)
    That's looking good so far, Komaro.
    Saquist wrote: »

I never said it didn't. (the horrid script of "Into Darkness" is evidence that anything goes) I was merely stating my opinion, which is why I started the sentence with the words "I think."
    On my part when I saw the Enterprise and the other Federation ships, I though everything was more curvy in JJverse. But then I saw the Klingon and Vengeance ship, which were quite different. It's an alternate universe...but is there a particular line of designs ? I don't think so, apart maybe that it should look more like a projection of the modern designs we have today.

It seems also to take more account of aerodynamics. Which is something I should also look for in the Excelsior. On of the reason why I put the engines just below the saucer.
    No, they don't appear to have a single style that they adhere to. For the Klingons, It's OK for them to look different because they're aliens and you expect alien stuff to look different. As for the Vengeance, I don't know what the thinking was on that. It definitely doesn't fit the design style of the other Federation ships. Though, if I remember correctly from the one time I watched that film, Khan was supposed to have designed it. So, maybe it was supposed to be a Federation ship as designed by a warped super genius.
    Kinda of stuck on what to do with the nacelles. Also the impulse engine aren't something I like for the moment.
    Modified the neck part quite a bit, and the shape of the hull

excel09.jpg

excel10.jpg

excel11.jpg

excel12.jpg

excel13.jpg
    I like the neck, it's a nice blend of the classic Excelsior and the JJ-prise neck.
    I have worked quite a bit on the engines. I am trying to uphold the principle of an open nacelle, and straight vs curve principle of the JJverse. I have also fix part of the neck and refine some parts. I hope you appreciate the lens flares, it took me like...10 seconds to make it, an annoying effect.

excel14.jpg

excel15.jpg

excel16.jpg

excel17.jpg
    I like the front of the nacelles. Not a fan of flares, though. ;)
    Work on the nacelle back, and done the impulse engine on top of the saucer.

excel18.jpg

excel19.jpg

excel20.jpg
    The engines are looking good so far. :)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Am I alone in seeing some resemblance between the nacelle grill and the front end of a Jaguar Mark 2?

I do like it, don't get me wrong. Nice curves.
    Jenny wrote: »
    Am I alone in seeing some resemblance between the nacelle grill and the front end of a Jaguar Mark 2?
    I do like it, don't get me wrong. Nice curves.

I want reassure you, I never own or drive a Jaguar. Also, my naked photos on Icloud are faked...but I still have nice curves. ;)
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Way to much info
    colbmista wrote: »
    Way to much info

Yes, definitely.
    To be back on the topic. Worked on the bridge section. Tried a few shape, but this is the one a like with a dome shape. The middle part is in a rough state for the moment.

excel23.jpg
    Nice. I like the fact that it's slightly reminiscent of the original bridge that the Excelsior model had before they changed it.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    This is coming along great.
    Worked a lot on the bridge sections. Now I am trying to fix the neck...sigh. There was a lot of polygon corruption, so I am trying to remodel it in another way.

excel24.jpg

excel25.jpg
    Finish fixing a lot of problems around the neck area and added a bit more to it

excel26.jpg

excel27.jpg

excel28.jpg

excel29.jpg
    Still liking this a lot!