Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP Excelsior JJverse

• komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Working on the back part. Find a nice shape to it. I was thinking putting an arboretum there.

excel30.jpg

excel31.jpg
  • nukenuke171 Posts: 0Member
    I like how the saucer connects to the neck. Will she have saucer separation capability? The way the neck slopes, it would be perfect to add a separate impulse system.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    I'm really liking how the whole upper saucer/bridge/impulse/neck area is shaping up. :)
    IN my mind saucer separation came in EntD. But maybe in JJverse it would happen sooner around Enterprise C instead. I don't think the Excelsior was envision in that manner. Although in my version there could easily be a captain yatch between the two nacelles. To be frank with you I though about it...
    Saucer separation was first mentioned in the TOS episode "The Apple." Kirk told Scotty that, if necessary, he should jettison the rest of the ship and blow out of orbit with just the primary section, which would be the saucer. (establishing that the ship could separate is probably the only redeeming part of that stupid episode)

The Enterprise refit could separate. There was a sequence that was storyboarded for the end of the Phase II pilot "In Thy Image," which became TMP, where the ship was being pulled into a black hole and needed to separate so that the saucer could escape. The separation sequence was also in early drafts of the movie, but was ultimately dropped. Consequently, the 8-foot filming model and even the little damaged one they built for Star Trek III could be separated, which they made use of for the Wolf 359 sequence in "The Best of Both Worlds, Pt. 2." If you look at the Enterprise refit model, you can see where it would separate because there's a "break" in the main pylon (neck) with two red stripes on either side running parallel to it.

The Excelsior could also supposedly separate. One of the cut or possibly never filmed scenes from Generations has Sulu running a core breach drill where the crew of the Excelsior was supposed to be separating the ship, when he got the news of Kirk's "death." It's in the book, which is based on the script, I'd assume that was dropped due to its similarity to what happened with the Enterprise-D later in the film. Of course, you can easily dismiss this one and the Enterprise refit if you want, since they were never in the films.

So, saucer separation wasn't a new thing with the Enterprise-D, it was just something we first saw with that ship. Though, I think it was supposed to be the first class of ship that could reattach without the help of a major repair facility.

As for the JJ Verse, it's hard to say. It looks like there could be a separation mechanism where the main pylon connects to the saucer. Though, it wasn't established in either film, so we don't know for certain.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    While only canon in that they were used as graphics in a display when V'ger was scanning Enterprise's memory files through the plasma light probe, Franz Joseph's Enterprise deck plans also clearly showed the TOS E's ability to separate the saucer. So the idea's clearly been around since pretty near the beginning.
    Worked on the bottom saucer area quite a bit. I decided a bit more modern style, but still in the spirit of the original.

excel32.jpg

excel33.jpg

excel34.jpg

excel35.jpg
    That's cool. It's an interesting blend of original Trek and JJ Trek.
    Thanks, I think I got the right direction in general. Thanks also to Cjohnson1701 at trekbbs, he show me the Straight vs. Curve design stuff. Didn't know that... Only problem is that my neck isn't that high compare to the original. I am gonna have to put the torpedo launcher just below it. In all the ship is more compact in terms of height, but I really like it that way.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Shaping up well.
    komaro wrote: »
    Thanks, I think I got the right direction in general. Thanks also to Cjohnson1701 at trekbbs, he show me the Straight vs. Curve design stuff. Didn't know that... Only problem is that my neck isn't that high compare to the original. I am gonna have to put the torpedo launcher just below it. In all the ship is more compact in terms of height, but I really like it that way.

The torpedo launchers in the Excelsior class are in the secondary hull. That's where the Excelsior is firing torpedoes from in Star Trek VI. I have no idea what the little doodad in the "neck" is, but it would blow off the bottom of the saucer if you fired a torpedo from it. (we were discussing this recently in Nightfever's Enterprise-B thread ;))
    I would think they would be docking station/port. But I don't think it was quite logical putting anything there.
    TRying to do the array thing. Quite difficult. I had to redo it twice to be able to chamfer, and cut it by hand, and merge the back into a round shape. Still some quirks on the polygons I have to fix.

excel36.jpg
    Yeah, cut outs like that can be a pill. But, you've mostly got it. :)
    Finished the array thing. I tried to do greeble in that area, but it only messes up the model. So i decided with a simple paneling. I brought back the array from The Conviction and simplified it.

excel37.jpg
    worked on the saucer. Made the windows, and the cutout panels. I did the sensors to be a half cylinder, instead of a pointy triangle. Repair some problems. I need to add the yellow things that goes around the bridge (No idea what it is).

excel38.jpg
    Looking good so far. :thumb:
  • metalsnakemetalsnake5 Posts: 0Member
    i believe those yellow things you speak of would be the RCS thruster mounts / locations for controlling pitch yaw and roll movements etc ....... someone correct me if i'm wrong lol
    metalsnake wrote: »
    i believe those yellow things you speak of would be the RCS thruster mounts / locations for controlling pitch yaw and roll movements etc ....... someone correct me if i'm wrong lol

That is correct. I didn't know that was what he was referring to. (I guess I should pay better attention. :shiner:)
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    I think he is talking about the 5 Phaser turrets that are on the top of the saucer.

excelsior-christies1.jpg
    107074.jpg
  • metalsnakemetalsnake5 Posts: 0Member
    ahhhh yeah i forgot about those .... to much working with star wars than star trek ... maybe i'll do a ship one day lol
    Well...they are phasers ?? I kind of put a phaser strip now in the place where you see the round indentation on the front saucer. I found it logical that it would be the first real phaser strip, since they have so many design changes. I did those 5 things, like they would be sheild generators. I put some truster on the bottom saucer. I will post a pic later.
    It's based on the JJVerse, so you can probably do whatever the hell you want. (sure, let's beam across quadrants while the ship is at warp, which they couldn't even do in the TNG era)
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    in tng there was some subspace beaming out there but i grant you dont think federation ever mastered the tech in that time - hoping with trek regulars in command might see the story more conform to the star trek rules established over the years
    Well I think the ship wouldn't much more then warp 7-8. I think the Enterprise A was warp 7, assuming Enterprise B and Excelsior were a step ahead of the last JJA Enterprise. BUt you know, Enterprise can escape a black Hole...so, in terms of following logic. They say JJA construct his logic around: it would be cool to have that scene and that scene (Which I find true to the man!).

I would theorised that the turrets would disappear around the same era for phaser strip. And fully realised in C and D.
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    I think having phaser strips on there would work fine with the timeline and the type of ship as well. Wasn't the original Excelsior (NX-2000?) a testbed for an experimental Transwarp Drive. Because of that it might not be too wild to see some "experimental" phaser strips on this ship.
    Well...I made the turrets (More like a small red dome) and there will be a phaser strips too. Both of them. But the phaser would be new and less powerful, like a testing prototype phase. I have also done the panels cut on the saucer. OOups, I saw a problem with the symetry...

excel38-1.jpg

excel39.jpg
    It's looking good. I see you gave it even more turrets than the original Excelsior has. That's good, since JJVerse ships seem to be more heavily armed.
    I began testing and working on the two main texture. More because I was bored at work at the end of the day.
    I tried to put it around the colors of JJA ships...but I like a slight grey/blue ship.

excel40.jpg

Test bmp
    excel41.jpg

And finally with the specular color levels
    excel42.jpg
    Nice work on the texture, that looks great.