Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Class

• jrhotteljrhottel18 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet! Have you given thought to personnel traffic patterns, particularly for port/starboard damage control? If so what are your ideas?

Here's mine, remarkably similar design philosophy, tower and no elevators.
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102933&d=1364107681
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102950&d=1364166984
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    well i covered the turboshafts because.. just don't want to bump in to them

plan on going kind of like the john eaves Enterprise E shuttle bay drawings for personel
    http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/final-c-mccall.jpg
    http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/bay-2.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Awesome design. Looks pretty functional. May have missed it, but are you planning on a lower maintenance area? Not necessarily modeling it per se, but lay out the elevator platforms in your textures.
    few odds and ends, and another angle of the bay. working on a work bee, and maybe a fighter plane/shuttle for the bay as well.. ( yes I go overboard on shuttle bays.. its just what I do :thumb:) also working on the front part/cargo bay area as well

not planning on a lower level, since the bay is like 2 football fields big!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73758&d=1405099947
    Well, go the cargo area going.. and added some work bee's and some doors and windows/observation deck stuff..

included an clay render, cuz you couldn't see the doors in teh regular one!!

might go back to building the main ship for abit, and come back to the shuttle bay latter.. not getting burned out, but a bit tired of dealing with detail work, want to do some big strokes!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73761&d=1405120725

attachment.php?attachmentid=73762&d=1405120725
    Outstanding work. The layout for the cargo area is great. :thumb:
    Thanks all for the nice comments!!

Spent abit of time on her today, done a texture for the shuttle/cargo floor (3000x3000.. might have to go to 4000 next time.. a bit fuzzy!) this is just tossing in textures I've done from other shuttle bays and sizing them accordingly.. i'll make up some custom ones latter.. but for now, I consider the Bay Abandoned for now!! Tommorow I'll start back on the hull!

Large render for ya!

Thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73825&d=1405436718
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice shapes and deck markings, how had i not noticed this before. i can't be sure but is the smaller rear part of the bay an airlock, it would make sense incase the "shields" go down. from this angle the shuttles look pretty good as well.
    Okay, started on the saucer, starting with the tail end, detailing out the shuttle bay doors and bay control room. .. you can see the interior of the shuttle bay ( kind of .. i put a light in there but its a bit blown out!)

spacefighter, for the shuttle bay, The small part to the right is the front of the ship..!

so, moving on! Thanks for the comments!!:thumb:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73831&d=1405541358
    Nice work. Love to see interior bits rendered with the whole. :thumb:

I know this is no fault of your own, but I've gotta say that the way the catamarans intersect the hull would have looked a lot better had the original design flowed into the saucer rim rather than just plopped on there. As it is it just doesn't look quite right from this angle, IMO.
    So now a closeup of the front! cut out the front shuttle/cargo doors and added.. well whatever that is on the front nose.. so with this the shuttle/cargo bay is installed! ( and its not even Tuesday!)

Plenty of designs out there that leave you scrtaching your head wondering.. Why??? :)

Further work on the saucer latter! Thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73842&d=1405696462
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Another nice update. Keep up the good work.
    okay, still working on her!

doing the panels on the saucer top, and gave her a name! James T. Kirk!

This ship name is from the book Rough Beasts of Empire, commanded by Elias Vaughn. Defended the Planet Alonis from a Borg invasion by partially ramming one cube ( partial, in that they slammed the back end/warp nacceles in to the cube, keeping the saucer safe) .. Book I'm reading right now

So, I'll continue with the bottom of the saucer, and put in the port/starboard torpedo launchers!

attachment.php?attachmentid=74061&d=1406645383
    Nice. I like it. :thumb:
    not much done, but had some time to render :)

Installed the Port/Starboard torpedo launchers, and the cut outs.. started on the lower saucer paneling ( which you can't see.. ha ha)

so, slowly but surely! Thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=74086&d=1406730940
    I don't think I ever realized there were broadside torpedo launchers on the Akira.
    18 launchers actually... 8 forward ( 7 in the pod, 1 under by the deflector dish) 6 aft ( on the pod) and 4 side ways bit of over kill!!
    so more work on the bottom of her!

with the eng hull/buldge some of them are getting complicated!

so, fun fun!! :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=74120&d=1406817379
    I'm Back! Vacation was nice, didn't touch a computer the whole time!

so, back to the Akira!, some of this was done before last week, but didn't have time to render, but getting close to being done with "Primary" modeling.. then its Detail Time!!

so a few renders for you, most of the paneling is done, have to tweak the Eng section abit still.. not quite accurate just yet ( i know.. i'm a perfectionist :))

So thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=74344&d=1408033005

attachment.php?attachmentid=74345&d=1408033005

attachment.php?attachmentid=74346&d=1408033005
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Blargh, I keep meaning to clarify this and keep forgetting. Probably way too late now, but...
    McC wrote: »
    I hate to dredge up a part that you've clearly already spent a ton of time and effort on, buuuuuuut...

Is the "cleavage" along either side of the engineering hull, toward the aft, deliberate? If it is, then disregard me.

If it's not, and it's the byproduct of an uncooperative subsurf cage, you can probably chop out all of the polygons in that area and then rebuild them with curves (or the edges of that area acting as curves). If you're still using Maya (as indicated by your profile), I know for sure this can be done. I also recently learned of a way to do it in Blender, too. I'm 99% certain it's doable in Max and LW, too! :D

The rest looks awesome! :thumb:
    if your talking about where the catamaran hulls (twin Hulls) and the saucer meet.. thats deliberate if its another area.. don't know where your talking about ... if its the Eng hull under the saucer.. don't worry. .have the original un smoothed version to make corrections too.. and all teh cuts are easy!

Thanks!

Here's what I was referring to:
    akira_hull.jpg

Sorry for being so dumb about replying. Everything else is looking great! (Although all those panels need microbevels. ;))
    yeah, its not exactly a smooth curve in the references, but I have to fiddle the thing anyways, i'll look in to it! Thanks!
    Thanks McC! I've corrected it as best I could ( though you can't see it in this pic.. haha)

Started detailing out the ship now..

Put in the Impulse engine vents at the back of the catamarans (which you can't see in this pic... oops) and added the "Fin" on top.

also added and detailed the turbochargers ( to me, the catamarans are bassed off the p-38 WWII airplane, so i based the detals off of the REAL supercharger of the P-38! )

also detailed out the bridge more, complicated thing really... !!

so more work this week!
    Thanks for the comments!

attachment.php?attachmentid=74453&d=1408633382
    Great update. :thumb:

I agree with your reasoning about the P-38 and the details you've modeled because of it fit very well.
  • markmasseymarkmassey513 StaffordshirePosts: 587Member
    Hi great wip.. the modelling work looks great, and love the cargo bay section.. I cant really add any more than has already been said :)

i would love to know how you've done your panelling though.. as that's something I've struggled with in the past when modeling star ships...
    Thanks!

I'll throw up a tutorial on how I do it here in a bit (hopefully today if work doesn't get in the way!)

Spent a bit more time on her yesterday,

again, detailing out the bridge ( most complicated one I've Ever done! and still not done quite yet! Sheesh!)

so doing a back end render to see the impulse engines on the catamarans.. its the exact ones on the refs, but... looks a bit plain.. don't know what to do to spice it up.. maybe an idea will pop up latter....

Thanks guys/girls!

attachment.php?attachmentid=74462&d=1408724544
    Hi guys!

bit more completed yesterday.. finished up the bridge moduale..(bout time!) and started in on cutting out the windows! Yay! ( booleans are cooperating.. so far!)

Thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=74520&d=1409064144
    The Promised Panel tut!! Hope it helps, if you have any questions.. please ask!

panel-tut.jpg
  • markmasseymarkmassey513 StaffordshirePosts: 587Member
    Thats great, i usualky work them into the main mesh, and end up at some point in a mess..

but looking at it this way seems deceptivly simple :) i'll give it a try when i next work on my ship...
    Hi! Been awhile.. Been working on this on and off.. Mostly installing windows and redoing panels.. tedious time consuming work!! ugh..

so some nice renders, and back to this later! Thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=74859&d=1410987987

attachment.php?attachmentid=74856&d=1410987987

attachment.php?attachmentid=74857&d=1410987987

attachment.php?attachmentid=74858&d=1410987987
    That's coming along nicely. Great update with the tedious work. :)