Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Class

VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
edited September 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Greetings all! Been awhile, bit busy.. bit lazy.. bit burn out..

BUT, back in it!
So for your viewing pleasure.. Finally starting on the Akira Class.. Been wanting to do if for Years.. but waiting till i had time, and when my skills could do her justice..

So, after a few days work.. I have.. A weapons pod.. Only thing left is to detail out the multitude of torpedo lauchers with some greebles n stuff..

Then, slowly moving on to the rest of the ship, giving it all its due time and detail!

so, more latter, not in much of a hurry, and i usally only spend 30 min to an hr on it a day.. so...

Thanks all!
106499.jpg
Post edited by VALKYRIE013 on
26a.jpg 89.2K
Tagged:

• Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    Oh how I love that class
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice! Great detail so far :D
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Ooh, this'll be good. :) Definitely looking forward to your progress. :thumb:
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, the oft-denied Starfleet gunship. You go!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Thanks guys!

More work on her.. Started on the Warp Naccelles ( Complicated!! weird angles all around!) Bout 80% done with them.. need to cut the warp grills in, and mess with the radiator on the inner naccelle. so Moving along!

I'll keep on trudging!
    106026.jpg106027.jpg
    3.jpg 90.3K
    4.jpg 131.6K
    attachment.php?attachmentid=73011&d=1401923493

Bit more work on the Naccelle!

got the grills in, and the bussard, though still needs some innards, and some more detail pieces.. still need to work on the "radiator"

Thanks!
    Lookin' good so far!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=73079&d=1402009925

So, bit more progress, not much since I only had about an Hour today!

worked on the radiator, and this side of the nacelle.. not much progress. but better than nuthin! :thumb:
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,630Member
    Nice job on this so far... very clean.
    Greetings all!

last day on the warp engines.. Moving along to something else.. ill come back and tweak them at the end.. just getting a bit depressed of spending a week on them.. need to move to another part!

so.. something interesting.. on some screen caps of First Contact.. the back end of the warp naccelles.. have a.. T on the end that isn't in ANY of the references/Drex plans.. so.. me using the Drex plans, the drawings, and screen caps.. I added them! ( also included the screen cap I'n talking about.. when it was redone for DS9 (Drex's version) some stuff must have got left behind.. or redone in the program.. owell

so.. Continuing on!:devil:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73162&d=1402356015
    attachment.php?attachmentid=73163&d=1402356015
    attachment.php?attachmentid=73164&d=1402356015
  • count23count23366 Posts: 784Member
    Looking good. I'm not sure if you've seen it, but if you check here in the "first contact vessels" section. You'll see actual HD refs of the studio model from First Contact (and later DS9) that Doug Drexler posted on his blog last year, they should give you all the secret details you need to get your model really accurate.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/firstcontact1.htm
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Thanks Nadesico!

Yeah, I have those and more.. just saying how the model changed from First Contact to the DS9 version ( Drexler's version) not much, but a few details here and there..
    Okay, moving on to the rest of the ship!

so, got the pylons, and started on the hull and the connecting pylons.. ( which were.. a bit of a pain figuring out .. ) So moving forward now!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73194&d=1402454396
    So, got the catamaran shape all worked out! had to cut out the shuttle bay to finish up all the curves of the catamaran and where they joined the saucer and all:confused:

so the next is to work on the saucer!!:thumb:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73228&d=1402591501
    attachment.php?attachmentid=73229&d=1402591501
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Awesome work there. A shame we didn't get to see more of this class. Would have been nice to see some interiors.
    Different yards may have produced slightly different hulls, which are still similar enough to be considered ships of the same class. :cool:
  • Really cool
    I especially like the narcelles.
    Okay! more work!

started on the "Eng Hull" on the bottom of the Saucer.. I'll tell ya, this thing has no easy parts it seems!!

I'll probably still fiddle with it abit.. its "Almost Right".. but as much as I'm a perfectionist.. I know when to say..OMG ITS CLOSE ENOUGH!, Moving on!

no real closeup pics of under the chin.. so might have to wing it abit..

so.. Moving forward! :thumb:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73324&d=1402960436
    Little bit of progress today.. not as much as I would have liked though!

got the Deflector dish installed, and messed with the eng hull again.. probably going to remake the deflector dish to be more like the Enterprise E dish ( since i just have a crappy texture to base it off of on the references, but looks close to the Ent E one)

So moving on to the saucer tomorrow!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73372&d=1403049178
    okay! Thanks Guys!

Redone the defelctor dish, might put a small texture on it for a bit more detail, but thats done!

Also, started work on the Saucer section, cutting in the sensor strip on the saucer edge, and cut out the saucer impulse engines! sad thing was that I up the polys on the saucer.. and Booleans stopped working.. ugh.. doing it the hard way!!

Thanks all!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73404&d=1403277798

attachment.php?attachmentid=73405&d=1403277798

attachment.php?attachmentid=73406&d=1403277798
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    I hate to dredge up a part that you've clearly already spent a ton of time and effort on, buuuuuuut...

Is the "cleavage" along either side of the engineering hull, toward the aft, deliberate? If it is, then disregard me.

If it's not, and it's the byproduct of an uncooperative subsurf cage, you can probably chop out all of the polygons in that area and then rebuild them with curves (or the edges of that area acting as curves). If you're still using Maya (as indicated by your profile), I know for sure this can be done. I also recently learned of a way to do it in Blender, too. I'm 99% certain it's doable in Max and LW, too! :D

The rest looks awesome! :thumb:
    if your talking about where the catamaran hulls (twin Hulls) and the saucer meet.. thats deliberate if its another area.. don't know where your talking about ... if its the Eng hull under the saucer.. don't worry. .have the original un smoothed version to make corrections too.. and all teh cuts are easy!

Thanks!
    106108.jpg
    da-5.jpg 202.9K
    Alright! took a break on the saucer, and done the Bridge and some detail pieces on the top and on the warp nacelle pylons!

Details are Very Very Soft on the ref model ( I know there bump maps..but still) so done my best to do them in a high poly kind of way!

that bridge is a bit much.. the rear portion.. couldn't get my head around for the longest.. still not quite right.. going off of the drawings for this part ( cuz there more detailed than the model!)

So steadly on!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73454&d=1403575492
    Looking awesome.
    sorry that its been awhile.. been working on her a bit.. but that annoying thing called life keeps on getting in the way! :p

so, not to much.. I started on the shuttle bay, but have nothing to show at the moment.. trying to figure out the thru-deck carrier aspect.. the front openings are big enough for a type 9 shuttle to fit through, but no chance of a "fighter" fitting though at that size.. might have to tweak a few things! Also figuring out the bay itself, as in how large, and whats inside it!

so what I do have done is the paneling on the cattermerans and the warp pylons.. bit of a pain since its not 100% to the actual model.. had to get fancy with keeping it nice between top and side views!! buts all okay! ;)

so slowly but Sheryly!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73621&d=1404449949

attachment.php?attachmentid=73620&d=1404449949
    Impressive. Most impressive.
    okay! been off and on this week on this.. working on the shuttle bay.. seeing what I can do with it, see where everything fits!

This thing, as it stands takes up ALOT of the saucer, so might shrink it down.. but might not since I like the setup!

so main shuttle enterence in the back, big enough for a danube ( 2 sitting in the middle (rough mockup) and plenty big for the type 9, and type 11, might do an argo latter to fill this beasty..

always been told this is a Thru-deck carrier, so carryed that on to the front, but the 3 front "doors" are only big enough for the type 9 (speed boat) to fit though, so thinking this is the cargo area, to link to star bases, for work bees, and for "emergency" type 9 launches.. it connects straight to the main bay.

Gave the bay plenty of room, fit about 10 danubes in there..

I'll continue to flesh the bay out, and any tips/critiques would be welcome!:thumb:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73736&d=1404947694
  • jrhotteljrhottel18 Posts: 0Member
    Love it! I'm working on a sovereign variant that can carry Danube runabouts. If you look at the Danube it has a mission module that would be changed by lowering the runabout onto the mission module. I'm changing that so the module runs all the way to the rear of the runabout and can slide in and out. That being far more space efficient in cramped quarters and offering the interesting element of different modules, think Space 1999. Given the striking similarity in our projects, I'll be following your work with great interest.
    Thanks Jr!

worked till 2am on fleshing out the bay.. made it a bit shorter for the main part, and lengthened the "Cargo" part in the front.( don't want to take up the Whole saucer!) and added some control towers. added a whole litteny of different shuttles that I have. Type 11, type 9, type 6, shuttle pod, shuttle from STO, and a danube mockup ( need to do a good mock of that one of these days) and you can put a good amount of shuttles in the empty center sction ( have 4 type 11s there right now, but you can fit 12 of them there easily) so a good sized shuttle bay ( yellow squares are 2 meter "person" stand ins)

next thing is to throw in some windows, some doors, some lights, and texture the floor with all the bright yellow signage!

Thanks all!

attachment.php?attachmentid=73747&d=1405004514
    That's really cool.