Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP USS Conviction

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
edited April 2014 in Work in Progress #1
In progress. Sorry, no global design. Going as I go

conv.jpg

conv1.jpg

conv2.jpg
105391.jpg
Post edited by komaro on
Tagged:

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Why do you always make your saucers slope down on all your models it's unlogical for any internal layout
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    I said the saucer not the dish the whole front looks like it's heavy and bending over the weight of the front end the way you have it designed gives no room for any kind of logical layout from your dumb response back your problem not gonna fix a substantial flaw in your design
  • trickytricky0 Posts: 0Member
    Why should the decks have to be on the same plane? it's artificial gravity
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Wait what?
    Why that now?
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Probably because someone wants to be an idiot and make a dumbass comment about his what he said.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Please no flaming. I feel "less fun" in making my own designs right now. And I am fed up with doing them up. In fact, I think I would prefer doing other peoples designs...but I hesitate to ask. So, I am doing things like nurnies and, bit and pieces...but each time I do a full star ship design, I always dislike it. So...sorry, but this is how I feel right now.

I got 3d blues I guess...if there is a name for it.
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    You know, I was curious about the conviction. I had an idea abiut her being something of a 'penal ship' that might be mostly crewed by starfleet personnel who had been convicted of various offenses and offered a shot at either reducing their sentences or clearing their records thru an assignment on a penal ship doing high risk assignments.

AS to the droopped look, in one way It might fit with the idea of a penal ship, the ship even sort of looks like it's in a state of despair. YOU could do some warp technobabble about it being an experiment in some weird type of warp streamlining, or an experimental attempt to create a hull that can take warp stress better making the ship far more maneurvable. As to the Internal layout the crew spaces could be layed out In stepped sections to keep the floors level, or they could be curved and let artificial gravity keep the crew feeling level.

If the ship was highly experimental and had a curved Interior that was tough to adapt to that might be part of why she was used as a penal ship.

Don't let one person's attitude stop you on this, just use your Ignore list. Mods please don't delete this thread till the op has a chance to see this.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Kind of like an extreme version of a Panopticon, JD?
    Ok, see I am gonne stick with the work about the emitter. The fact is, I am building something out of it. Still not sure where it 's gonna go. But I like the name...it's kind of a contradiction of where I am right now. Gonna put the images in the first post again.
    BorgMan wrote: »
    Kind of like an extreme version of a Panopticon, JD?

Service on a starfleet penal ship would be voluntary, remember, it's not a forced thing. Also they might have very few such ships. Also as much as I hate voyager tom paris was, IIRC, doing duty on voyager as a way to reduce his prison sentence.
    Update on the global saucer and neck section (Which will be larger on the top). I put my ship into the new timeline of Star Trek, by the way. If I can get the engines to look decent...

conv3.jpg

conv4.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804607 Posts: 11,186Member
    That's really cool. I like the connector a lot. :)
  • JeffJeff1 Posts: 0Member
    I like the proportions and the shape of basic elements, but the connecting dorsal is kind of jarring, looks like the saucer is trying to back up but left the rest going forward. I wonder if altering just the leading edge, perhaps to a more vertical or (very slightly) forward angle would counter that visual effect?
    You know, if the centerpiece of this model is as you've said the dish maybe you could make something special about the ship featuring on the dish. Is it a special longer ranged sensor array that makes the ship a good scout? is it designed to serve as a short ranged heavy weapon? or could it be a long ranged high poiwer weapon meant to engage immobile targets at extreme range?

Maybe the ship is an experiment in creating a "spinal mount" weapon by starfleet.

BTW, trek trivia for you, in "the paradise syndrome" the enterprise used her navigational deflector as a massive energy weapon to try to stop the asteroid. They did not show the dish firing but the energy beam hitting the asteroid was larger than and phaser shot she ever fired.
    It's a little bit what I want, like a horse neck curve. I need to modify it further anyway. There are extensions that goes up and down the saucer from the neck

In Trek 2009 the phaser are fix. I want them on a rail and slighty inward the hull...but they wouldn't cover all the saucer.

PS: I am more into the future books right now. Titan's books are quite a treat in terms of technologies.
    This is what I did with teh neck and extension over the saucer. The bottom is kind of a ten foward view point. I think I might do a very standard round bridge on top, like Enterprise.

conv5.jpg

conv6.jpg

conv7.jpg
    update on the saucer. kind of tired now...

conv8.jpg

conv9.jpg
    I'm liking it so far. It's kind of like a Saladin-class with a twist.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Certainly a unique design. Looking good. :thumb:
    I worked quite a bit on the textures. But man, I don't get it. I always find my textures too much. Quite frustrated with that part. I have checked the textures of Madman for C4D in his version of Enterprise, and decided to do something of my own but similar. I feel it doesn't work quite well with 3DSmax...and me. Maybe I should go with something more subtle...

conv10.jpg

conv11.jpg

conv12.jpg

And I got a weird render glitch with an omni light ??

conv13.jpg
    Are you putting the paneling in the color channel or the specular channel? What a lot of people do is put extremely light or no paneling in the color channel, then put strong paneling in the specular channel. Then, you only see the panels strongly in certain lighting. This pretty accurately simulates how they painted the studio models.
    Are you putting the paneling in the color channel or the specular channel? What a lot of people do is put extremely light or no paneling in the color channel, then put strong paneling in the specular channel. Then, you only see the panels strongly in certain lighting. This pretty accurately simulates how they painted the studio models.

Ah ! Didn't know that... Thanks. I also read that it's preferable to begin with the bump map by cutting the panels and work the way up with details. Looks like I am gonne redo the work after all...
    I have redone the textures now. More white but with the proper specular and bump this time. Better results

conv14.jpg
    That looks great. :thumb:
    I made the struts that support the engines. The engines are just for reference for now (I will do my own), but they gives a good idea of the overall look. Still the bridge and hangar bay to be made too...

conv15.jpg

conv16.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    The back-turned neck is weird, but cool.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I think the pylons need to emulate something of the neck as well. You feature it as a pretty big design element but it's something that doesn't come back anywhere else. A different flow of the pylons, combined with some design elements carried over from the neck, might solve that :)
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Haven't followed this thread up to now ... will start doing so.

That reverse-canted neck is nifty! Preserves the tradition but offers something new.

I do agree with BorgMan, though. You should do something similar with the pylons.
    Thanks for the input. I will think of something else for the pylons.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I think your texture are fine, much better than my attempts!