Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Era ships

124»

• BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    - - - Update! After spending some time rooting out mesh errors, I got a little visible work done.

Added nose RCS thrusters and cut them into the hull. The Thruster nozzles themselves are somewhat inspired by Aerospike engines. Hopefully, the spike gives them an alienish look while still being clearly a thruster.
    -18-130161_tn.jpg

View of the ventral nose RCTs, with the still blocked-in belly sled.
    -18-130260_tn.jpg

Speaking of the belly sled, here it is, as well as the ventral disruptor turrets. Missie tubes and blow-out panels for the magazines would go ahead of the turret ports.
    -18-130275_tn.jpg

On the top of the ship I added a little detail based off the top of a D'derix class to the reactor sphere (there's thee in trilateral symetry). What does it do other than look cool? No idea. But seeing how the "tail" feeds into the sustainer ring pylons, it probably has something to do with rectifying the plasma to smooth out the energy flow.
    -18-130336_tn.jpg

And a view of the ship as a whole. Note additional ribbing on the fuel tank covers.Tubing on the outer hull doubles as radiators to dump heat, keeping the deuterium fuel in a cool slush state.
    -18-130472_tn.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    great work, all of it. nice ribbing structure behind the bridge similar to that on new style battlestars.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Everything is looking nice so far. :)
  • tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderful work! Really loving how this is going so far! :) It just keeps getting better and better.
    great work, all of it. nice ribbing structure behind the bridge similar to that on new style battlestars.
    Thanks, I was actually going for the spined wings of a D'derix. But I like BSG too (just look at my avatar), and it fits the primitive-warship vibe I'm going for.
    Everything is looking nice so far. :)
    Thanks! For such a ugly little boat, she's starting to grow on me.
    tommygdawg wrote: »
    Wonderful work! Really loving how this is going so far! :) It just keeps getting better and better.
    Thanks! Should have her screen-ready... soonish. Or not, every day I spend working on her, I get a dozen ideas for cool things to add.

- - - UPDATE after a hiatus of idea-block/birthday festivities/watching Season 3, I got back on track and got some modeling done, this time on the belly. (I deleted the cooling ribs on the fuel tank covers for now, their meshes were hopelessly tangled.)

-26-819552_tn.jpg
    The great scheme of things. I was considering adding a shuttle-bay in front of the semi-circular plates, but it would be extremely cramped, not to mention in direct line-of-fire of the missile tubes.

-26-819594_tn.jpg
    Close up on the fore section. Handrails have been added to facilitate EVA repair work. Shields were primitive in this era, and battles were incredibly brutal as ships tore each other to shreds, each hoping to be the least screwed-up when the battle ended. As such, repair work was a never-ending task.

Those plates have some important engineering function, but I don't know what it is. Erm... I mean it's classified.

-26-819486_tn.jpg
    Close up on the missile tubes, compete with Romulan EV tech working her way down the access ladder. As I look at it, those tubes seem rather large, but this is the 22nd century, stands to reason thermonuclear missiles would need to be bigger than "modern" photon torpedoes to have enough DeltaV to engage their targets. Might do a smaller tube version for comparison
    -26-819542_tn.jpg
    Additional belly-sled detail. Added more feathery heat-baffles, perhaps to vent heat from the missile launchers. There's also the aforementioned EVA railings and ladders to facilitate repairs.

-26-819581_tn.jpg
    Finally, the aft end of the sled. There's an airlock to get to the outside. The airlock and its handholds are rather low-poly, but since this area is hidden from view by the turrets at most angles, it should do.
    shame to lose the cooling ribs, otherwise great work as always.
    These details are looking really nice! It's adding so much to the original shape and really starting to come together. Can't wait for more :D
    shame to lose the cooling ribs, otherwise great work as always.
    I liked them, but the mesh was really tangled up, and it looked horrible from up-close. They'll probably make another appearance later on.
    These details are looking really nice! It's adding so much to the original shape and really starting to come together. Can't wait for more :D
    Thanks! Glad you like her.

- - - update

Not much that's terribly obvious, spent some time tweaking geometry to get rid of mesh errors, and some time watching Star Trek and not working on this at all.

-02-472149_tn.jpg
    Most prominent is the new shuttlepod bay. It provides (barely) enough room for a single transport shuttle. Said shuttle is shown here in low-poly reference form.

The RC-7 can get away with such a tiny shuttlebay because it's not intended for exploratory missions. It's a predatory, a U-boat in space.

8921-02-472764_tn.jpg
    The missile tubes have been switched from single massive tubes, more akin to launching ICBMs than short-range ship-to-ship nukes, to twin launchers. Ganging to launchers so close together obviously makes them more susceptible to damage, as one good hit can knock out both tubes, and potentially cascade back to the magazines. However, the increased first-strike capability was considered worth the risk.
    Looking good. Remember, watching Star Trek officially counts as research, so you're still working. :devil:
    Looking good. Remember, watching Star Trek officially counts as research, so you're still working. :devil:

Yes! This is always my excuse as well haha.

Digging the new updates! It's looking great :)
    Yes! This is always my excuse as well haha.

I spent quite some time doing research that consisted of watching all four seasons of Enterprise on DVD. While I was watching, I paid attention to how they did certain things, like lighting on the ship. I took what I learned from that and applied it to my renders. It was very helpful. :)
    Thanks guys, anyhow...
    - - - UPDATE
    Added proper pylons for the warp sustainer engine, and some cowlings around the joints.

8921-12-333903_tn.jpg
    8921-12-333701_tn.jpg
    more great work. loving it. you ought to do a tutorial on how some of the awesome details of yours were made.
    Thanks! What details were you thinking of? Most of this is pretty simple stuff. (Just lots of it)
    It's looking great so far. :)
    Sorry for my late replies. I'm loving the new details as always :) Very nice work!
    It's looking great so far. :)
    Thanks!
    Sorry for my late replies. I'm loving the new details as always :) Very nice work!
    Thanks! Think she's as detailed up as she's gonna get, at least for this variant. Not much I can do other than poly-intensive things with little visual impact.
    - - -
    UPDATE: After finding a useful way to unwrap the hull, I started on texturing, by far my weakest area of modeling. But, worth it to see the boat in proper romulan green.

8921-21-68989_tn.jpg
    8921-21-69000_tn.jpg

These textures are still WIPs, but it should give you an idea of what the hull will look like.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    That is looking very cool. Actually I like the two-tone look of the model. Or I suppose you could go with 50 shades of green. ;)

And an interesting article on warp drive research:
    http://www.space.com/22430-star-trek-warp-drive-quantum-thrusters.html
    Actually, since the original BOP was gray, wouldn't that be appropriate also? ;) (yes, I know the Romulan ships on Enterprise were green)
    the ship overall looks great, as for the colour at least consider having a two tone scheme where the main base hull is green and the panels on it are grey / silver /very different shade of green. another thing i should mention is if possible you want to make many of the edges appear sharper rather so smoothed, especially round the edges of the cool panels on the forward hull.
  • RekkertRekkert4080 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,308Member
    Your texture is looking very good.
    As for the colors, both green and grey would look cool, but I guess the green hull will make it easier to differentiate from your Earth vessels.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Sorry I'm late to the party! diggin the start of the textures, though I agree with some others that the gray/green combo is a bit odd. alas I had presumed the reason those panels were gray was because you hadn't started on them yet lol
    That... is the reason. When I'm finished, the ship will be all green. I was also tinkering with the idea of a more TOS-like gray version, to distinguish the various ships.
    that could also be really cool. that just gave me an idea! a less futuristic version of the enterprise era warbird could have that paint scheme. in flight next to the enterprise version it would look more rustic, perhaps even implying the ship from tos was either very old or a refit of the old design.
    that could also be really cool. that just gave me an idea! a less futuristic version of the enterprise era warbird could have that paint scheme. in flight next to the enterprise version it would look more rustic, perhaps even implying the ship from tos was either very old or a refit of the old design.

I was thinking the gray color scheme was a result of wartime measures. Sure, we'd like to paint them up with proper colors, but we need these ships now, so a quick coat of anti-corrosion gray will have to do. Between recovering from their war with earth, and skirmishing with the Klingons, the Romulans didn't get their economy back to full strength until sometime after TOS, when they went back to the traditional green.

- - -
    Anyhoo, updates!

Got some more work done on the hull textures, and some WIP textures on the fuel-tank covers. Trying a MiG-blue for the radiators, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. There's also some post-processing on the nacelle glows.

-06-525033_tn.jpg

Looking at this again, that space on the nose seems ripe for interesting nose-art, be it an abstract design like Nero's tattoos, some sort of stylized skull or bird-of-prey, or even a romulan pin-up girl.
    -06-525033_tn.jpg
    great work, but both the green and grey parts need a a somewhat rougher texture, at the moment they appear to just be coloured rather than truly textured with a mapped image or a repeating tileable material. liking the red region around the nose thrusters and the grey side panels, rough enough to look good.
    nose art would be great but..
    Borkless wrote: »
    or even a romulan pin-up girl.
    in the words of shinzon of remus
    You are not a woman, you are a romulan
    i'm not sure if they would put girls on their nose art.
    [great work, but both the green and grey parts need a a somewhat rougher texture, at the moment they appear to just be coloured rather than truly textured with a mapped image or a repeating tileable material. liking the red region around the nose thrusters and the grey side panels, rough enough to look .
    Materials and texturing is my weakest area right now, and they still need work.
    i'm not sure if they would put girls on their nose art.
    I need to stop typing updates at 1am. 'nuff said.

- - -
    UPDATE!
    After further thought, I decided the textured paneling wasn't cutting it. Back to clay for line-cutting. I also added some applique armor tiling along the fore hull.

8921-11-941153_tn.jpg

A render without any add-on armor.
    8921-11-941178_tn.jpg
    your add on armour is an absolute must, the difference is subtle but when you look carefully at both the one with extra armour is quite an improvement.
    Digging the updates! Definitely love the modeled paneling. I like the idea of a half-finished painting job, especially if this is varied for different ships. I think it would just have to not suddenly drop into a gray patch but rather should look an area where they just stopped painting at the last second, ya know?

But overall digging it! Really nice progress :)