Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Era ships

• alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    Obviously you guys didn't read the reasoning he posted earlier as to why they are blue....

Loved the Delta Bork
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    Obviously you guys didn't read the reasoning he posted earlier as to why they are blue....

Loved the Delta Bork
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    wonderful work and great engine nozzle but ti think the blue glow is wrong. either use romulan green, see the glowing bits on this image
    battlecruiser_valdore.jpg

or do them in a plain metallic colour, maybe a different shade of silver or something. some kind of worn metal panel could also have a good effect
    5D9112536577495B_t.jpg
    Here we see the Vulcan-style sustainer ring, comlete with placeholder warp-coil textures. Why are the coils blue you ask? Because Vulcan tech uses blue, and there's no reason the Romulans would radically change their technology just to get another kind of glow.

that is what he said if u missed it also spacefighter that ship u posted is romulan ship not valcan
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    It looks amazing! The submarine-like design definitively fits the era and the Romulans. Truly an amazing design.
    Thanks! I wasn't quite sure the design was working until I knocked out those renders.
    Saquist wrote: »
    Indeed. Very alien....
    Thanks!
    anystar wrote: »
    O.o!!! they're coming to life, he turned the warp cores on!!!
    Thanks! Though technically, they're coils, not cores (the warp Reactor is buried in the central sphere)
    It looks great, but do the glowy bits have to be blue? That's so Starfleet. :p
    I tried messing around with a geenish cyan color, and that looked hideous. These are placeholders anyway, just there to make it clear what's a warp coil and what's structural members.
    wonderful work and great engine nozzle but ti think the blue glow is wrong. either use romulan green, see the glowing bits on this image
    -snip-
    or do them in a plain metallic colour, maybe a different shade of silver or something. some kind of worn metal panel could also have a good effect
    Like I said above, the current glow is just a placeholder. That, and I see no reason why 22nd Century Romulan tech wouldn't be similar to Vulcan tech. Now, given two hundred years to evolve the tech, and a whole new power system, I can see 24th century birds looking like that. Just not 22nd.

Anyhoo, that bird you posted is waaay to advanced for the era. The RC-7 needs to look more primitive than this.
    romulan_bird-of-prey_cg_tos-aft.jpg

Loved the Delta Bork
    Thanks! The Delta was fun to work on.
    colbmista wrote: »
    Here we see the Vulcan-style sustainer ring, comlete with placeholder warp-coil textures. Why are the coils blue you ask? Because Vulcan tech uses blue, and there's no reason the Romulans would radically change their technology just to get another kind of glow.
    Yup, pretty much that. I'm gonna mess around with the glow when I get further along in the meshing, but it'll do for now.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I wasn't even going to suggest green. A nice yellow, orange or purple would work nicely, in my opinion. And, for the record, 24th century Romulan ships use a mini black hole, not a matter/antimatter drive. Since they left Vulcan before warp drive was invented, it's reasonable to assume their technology developed completely separately.

Loved the Delta Bork

Sure I did, I was merely voicing my opinion on the matter. That is, after all, the point of posting one's work on a forum. ;)
    I wasn't even going to suggest green. A nice yellow, orange or purple would work nicely, in my opinion. And, for the record, 24th century Romulan ships use a mini black hole, not a matter/antimatter drive. Since they left Vulcan before warp drive was invented, it's reasonable to assume their technology developed completely separately.
    The artificial black hole was why I figured the 24th century ships look so bizarre and alien. For the 22nd Century, I'm guessing the Romulans used more conventional warp reactors.

Anyway, might try out some other colors, like I said, the colors are just placeholders for now.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    Personally, i like the blue.

the NX itself had the blue as well inside the nacelles.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting take on the Romulan RC-7. Given that warbirds existed in the Ent era, see Minefield (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Minefield_(episode)), the RC-7 could be an older design that is being replaced by the newer ships seen in the TV show.
    True, but the warbird that showed up in Minefield looks way to advanced, more so even than the TNG-era D'derix. While I could excuse the angular hull as designers getting cute, the bizzarely shaped nacelles are harder to rationalize. The only way to fir reasonably sized warp coils in those nacelles is to you very odd shaped coils, pointing great knowledge of war physics. Even the D'derix used linear warp nacelles with minimal cross-sectional variation.

Anyway, my in-universe explanation for the RC-7's submarine look is she is a little outdated. Romulans started out spacefaring with generally rocket-shaped craft, and migrated towards winged birds of prey. The RC-7 is considered the most perfect application of outdated tech, and was the last warship commissioned using a sustained-ring/nacelle configuration. While more expensive the the simpler winged drive systems, and far harder to handle, the RC-7 is just as fast.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member

Sure I did, I was merely voicing my opinion on the matter. That is, after all, the point of posting one's work on a forum. ;)

Definitely yellow...The whole I'm green for bad guy is wearing really thin.
    Please do something unique ...as you have been doing. Borkless.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    do purple
    I can't just pick an arbitrary color, there needs to be a reason for it. Vulcan and Federation ships don't have blue coils because it looks cool, they have blue coils because that's the color of warp plasma. Without a good engineering reason, I'd want to keep pretty close to blue or off-blue.
  • tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Just looked in on these. Looking fantastic! Though, I agree with the others, when you get to texturing, probably definitely green for the warp coils. But it'll be interesting to see how much of a difference the color of the coils makes once everything on the ship is textured and done.
    Borkless wrote: »
    I can't just pick an arbitrary color, there needs to be a reason for it. Vulcan and Federation ships don't have blue coils because it looks cool, they have blue coils because that's the color of warp plasma. Without a good engineering reason, I'd want to keep pretty close to blue or off-blue.

You may want to avoid any light at all. The light emissions from the warp coil are not from the plasma...and even more problematic in TMP they aren't warp related at all.
    TNG TECH MANUAL Page 65

The quantum packets of subspace field energy form at approximately 1/3 the distance from the inner surface of the coil to the outer surface as the verterium cortenide causes changes in the geometry of space at the Planck scale of 3.9 x 10-33 cm. The converted field energy exits the outer surface of the coil and radiates away from the nacelle. A certain amount of field energy recombination occurs at the coil centerline and appears as a visible light emission.
    However in TMP neither the Coils or the Plasma is the source of the light.
    The vents are called Power Stage Magnatomic Flux Chillers.

These are actually inter-coolers.
    Plasma generates alot of heat that is constantly sent to the nacelles. The vacuum of space is poor method of transferring heat from one place to another of course. So breaking down the word... Magnatomic (magnetic and Atomic) combined with Flux which means to (flow out) means that the component is probably taking the plasma and expelling the heat by converting the untransfered energy from the plasma particle and ejecting them from the nacelle as light.

The Situation of the Options

Either they are filtering the light in the 24th century or the light is not high energy.
    Of course the light can be filtered but that means you're blocking every other frequency of the spectrum to get the colored light you desire. This could be done to reuse the energy but if that were the case then the only light that would escape would be low energy emissions such as red to infrared. High energy light is blue to ultra violet. You want the higher energy light. SO that means that the Galaxy Class Starship is creating so much energy in the nacelles that it's just expelling all excess energy in the form of light (if we are to believe they are inter-coolers too.

On the other hand the 23rd century doesn't come with nearly as much light expulsion seems like they too are just expelling light rather than filtering it. This has to mean that the nature of the light's color is not based on the inter-cooling process directly but the energy interaction in the nacelle....Therefore lower end colors are low energy interactions and blues are high end interactions.

----
    HOWEVER

Thanks to Enterprise two century's earlier implies the interaction is nearly as energetic, meaning their energy production is almost as efficient in the core or that warp coils emit light at nearly the same frequency threshold as 24 century ships no matter what the incoming state of the plasma is...and that just doesn't seem logical.

PERSONALLY
    I think the 23rd century concept makes more sense as an intercooler as opposed to the technobable nonsense that subspace energy "recombines" to emit light as some sort of by product. I'd have to do research on the Higgs field and explore any possible relations to "subspace" it may have to draw any intelligent conclusions.
    In reality, they glow because it looks cool on screen. :p
    In reality, they glow because it looks cool on screen. :p

Lol. This exactly. If we're being realistic about it, there's a lot of things you won't see, but for visual interest reality is often placed on the back burner.
    What I'm finding is Fascinating.

Warp Drive suggest that mankind has discovered, confirmed and make use of scalar fields.
    Scalar fields are made from particles that have no electrical charge and no spin. In our luminous universe EVERY Field has charge and a spin. It's like the difference between a river and a Pool when trying to swim. In the Higgs (scalar) field the force of resistance is the same in all directions just like in a pool.

From what I understand the trade mark of a force transmitter (boson) is two photons from the decay process. That interaction in the middle of the nacelles could be...Higgs Bosons are decaying. But if it's a variety of Higgs that creates visible light then likely it's not from a dark matter interaction.

-I think the fictional saving grace here may be that the entire warp field doesn't make this flash other wise the light show would look like the Aurora Borealis. Supersysemtry and the Standard Model of Particle physics makes room for many types of Higgs Bosons and thus other types of non-spin fields

-If it is Dark Matter, it is a Higgs (scalar) field then it's perfect for Star Trek.
    It means that warp fields wouldn't have a black-hole like effect on space and matter
    Rather it would be a mass reducing effect...like on Mass Effect. (depending on the scalar field)
    tommygdawg wrote: »
    Lol. This exactly. If we're being realistic about it, there's a lot of things you won't see, but for visual interest reality is often placed on the back burner.

Yeah, there's lots of things they don't get "right."

One thing that was only ever done right ONCE: (twice, if you count ST2 using stock footage) When your warp drive is activated, the impulse engines shouldn't be. With those, the glow is definitely supposed to be "exhaust" and it definitely means they're running. Because, when they're shut down, they don't glow. In TMP, when the Enterprise went into warp, the impulse glow turned off and then the warp drive activated. This is how it should be. Impulse is sub-light, roughly 1/4 light speed. Having them activated during warp does nothing but waste power. Yet, in later Treks, when the ships go to warp, the impulse engines are still glowing. You can't tell me it was that difficult to rig lights to do this like it was done in TMP, considering that these ships have complex lighting rigs anyway. It wasn't even ever done in CGI, which is even easier.

But, that's what happens when you have people making a TV show or movie. They probably liked having those glows stay on for visual interest, with no thought as to how it should work.
    Well, like Tommy said, doing something that looks cool on screen is more important than getting all the science right. If this was a show concerned with space, getting it technically right would be more important. But Star Trek at its best isn't about space, it's an adventure drama that happens to be set in space.

Anyway, seeing as non-glowing Warp Coils are ONLY seen in TOS, even in the movies the nacelles have some glow, I'd lean towards ignoring TOS. They had the lowest budget anyway, and I feel comfortable writing off the lack of glow as VFX tech just not being there.

Regarding the Impulse engines, it makes more sense to me to keep them hot. I don't think it's mentioned how long it takes to bring an impulse reactor on-line from cold, but it should take some time. Plus, constant restarting cycles can't be good for the reactor's structural members.

The impulse engines just idle while at warp, staying just warm enough to be ready at a moment's notice. That, or at warp, it's all the warp reactor can do to keep the nacelles powered, and impulse reactors take up the slack in powering life support/sensors, etc.

-Anyway, happy 4th of July.
    Too many ships have active glows on the impulse engines at all times for that to be true.

Defiant, TMP Enterprise Star Trek IV, All of the Next Generation, Prometheus, Intrepid.

Edit: And Sovereign.
    It's true, it's just not done right. As I said, it was done right once. The Enterprise in TMP had the most advanced lighting rig of any Star Trek ship. The impulse engines turned off, the deflection crystal changed from orange to blue when they were turned off (not really seen on screen.) Technically, I think even the deflector was supposed to change colors for warp VS sub-light. It even had a more advanced self lighting rig for the first two films than it did for the later ones and than the later ships did (until Enterprise.) This was done because, in between star systems and other bright lighting sources, nothing but the ship can light the ship. All of that should have been the standard by which all of them were done but it wasn't. For later films and shows, they simply did it more quickly (cheaply.) But, you can blame tighter budgets for that. TMP had a huge (for the time) price tag and the powers-that-were at Paramount said "never again." Thus, various incorrect things became the normal for Star Trek in order to save money, but that doesn't make them right.
    Borkless wrote: »
    Well, like Tommy said, doing something that looks cool on screen is more important than getting all the science right. If this was a show concerned with space, getting it technically right would be more important. But Star Trek at its best isn't about space, it's an adventure drama that happens to be set in space.

Ironically, they actually do strive to be as scientifically accurate as possible with their technology. However, you do get to that point where 1. nobody had invented it yet and 2. if it looks good on screen, do it. However, as much as they can, their stuff is at least scientifically possible, if not directly based off of scientific fact or theory. But, I don't know how much that extends past the writing of the shows and movies and into other things, such as the art department.
    I don't know about incorrect. More like right for that model.
    Ultimately these are just options. External lighting isn't necessary and turning off the impulse engines for warp means they were supplying power...when actually they should have been but maybe that was a technical draw back of the design with routing impulse and warp together.
    That was an interesting rabbit-trail, but back to the art!

- - -
    (Minor update today because of not doing anything productive on the 4th)
    -05-47050_tn.jpg
    I did a first-pass on molding the disruptors. There's four dorsal and four ventral turrets, which if memory serves is about the same as the NX-class phase-cannon emplacements.

-05-47481_tn.jpg
    A better look at the turrets. I couldn't find any good references on 22nd century Romulan weapons, but Klingon disruptor are barreled, so I went with a cannon-style look.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    looking EVEN better now the turrets and forward panels have been added.
    looking EVEN better now the turrets and forward panels have been added.
    Thanks! Still needs a lot of work, but she's getting there.
    - - - Update!

Decided the exposed disruptor turrets were.. well exposed. Rigged them with sliding covers and extenders so they can pop out and shoot. There's new handholds for EVA work on the turret and shrouds, as well as redesigned cannons. The forward turret is deployed and ready to fire, while the aft is still stowed.

I also changed the warp coils to a gold color. It's still a placeholder, but it's better than federation blue.
    -11-581002_tn.jpg

-11-581059_tn.jpg
    What the cowlings look when fully stowed.

-11-581102_tn.jpg
    Close up view of the turret and it's mount. There's a hatch for repair work on the bulkhead.
    I like it just because it's different.
    Borkless, I don't know if you just like 3D art but I'll always give council that at least makes an attempt at a plausible story. That's IF your objective was to make a story. If it's just artwork it doesn't really matter, let your own ideas fly.
    Saquist wrote: »
    I like it just because it's different.
    Borkless, I don't know if you just like 3D art but I'll always give council that at least makes an attempt at a plausible story. That's IF your objective was to make a story. If it's just artwork it doesn't really matter, let your own ideas fly.
    Thanks, I rather enjoyvtechnical speculation, how I come up with most of my designs. But a full page of nothing but is a little too much.
    As you wish, sir.
    Really digging the new details and look of the disruptors. This is really starting to take on a life of it's own! I like the small details near the disruptors such as what appears to be an access door for EVA maintenance. Really nice touch! Also, the yellow is definitely better than the blue. I'm still a fan of green though :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    sliding covers on the turrets are a nice idea, the yellow/gold coils are also an improvement.