Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Era ships

• anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    Enterprise was a complete failure of a series on every level. Design, writing, casting, everything. There is nothing appealing about it at all.

i usually hate any kind of prequel or reboot, and wasnt much of a fan of the premise of the show. however i watched every episode and liked the series. it was still very entertaining.
    Thank goodness JJ Abrams came along and started making proper Trek movies.

that horrid movie should not exist, and in my mind it is not trek at all.
    just my meager opinion though.

on-topic though, i really like the ship. has a lot of character.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    irony is that with star trek tech it could likely wipe the floor with galactica =) phase cannon for the win!!
    TOS or TNG tech, maybe. 22nd Century tech, where the heaviest ordnance in common usage is thermonuclear weapons... might be a fairer fight.
    anystar wrote: »
    i usually hate any kind of prequel or reboot, and wasnt much of a fan of the premise of the show. however i watched every episode and liked the series. it was still very entertaining.

that horrid movie should not exist, and in my mind it is not trek at all.
    just my meager opinion though.

on-topic though, i really like the ship. has a lot of character.

*ahem* this is a bit of a threadjack, but seeing as it's MY THREAD, I can do that.

I thought Enterprise was one of the better Star Treks, as long as you didn't think to hard about fitting into continuity. Treat it as a standalone, and ignore some of the blatantly horrible episodes (that every series has. Code of Honor anyone?) and it's a very enjoyable show.

I actually enjoyed the JJ-verse. It's not the greatest, and certainly not intellectual like the best of Trek, but it was a fun romp. Plus, I get the feeling that for the VFX artists, it wasn't just some starship they were working on, it was the starship. And boy to they make her look pretty.

(rant over)
    On-topic, thanks! I was trying for a "tough little ship" vibe.
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    i dont know - got its hull armour - phase cannons are more powerful than any weapon in galactica - certainly from the galactica reboot anyway

pretty sure the nx-01 would beat the galactica with ease - your ship might be closer fight being so small but certainly would be a good fight

anyway keep up the good work - would have liked to have seen more earth ships from this era in the show
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    i dont know - got its hull armour - phase cannons are more powerful than any weapon in galactica - certainly from the galactica reboot anyway

pretty sure the nx-01 would beat the galactica with ease - your ship might be closer fight being so small but certainly would be a good fight

anyway keep up the good work - would have liked to have seen more earth ships from this era in the show
    Eh, it's sort of apples and oranges. Enterprise might have tougher hull plating, but Galactica is just so huge it would be hard to get a kill-shot.

Arguments aside, thanks! I've always thought the Pre-TOS ships had a charm to them.

Bump... and update. Some cool stuff's been happening. Tommygdawg saw my thread and contacted me about doing modeling for his project Star Trek: Horizon, so there's gonna be Romulan Invasion in this thread. (he's also got a thread for the NX build, which you can find here)

Anyhoo, back to my modeling. I did a quick texture pass on the Delta. Still needs normal mapping, materials tweaking, and so on, but I thought I'd show ya'll anyway.
    -28-449292_tn.jpg

-28-449379_tn.jpg
    And the First of the Romulan ships (Currently only in "blocking out" stage). Given the Collation designation RC-7 (Romulan Cruiser, type 7), this is a deep-penetration strike bird. She's designed for missions deep into Coalition space, and as such, carries large amounts of fuel in conformal fuel tanks around the bow. (Romulans lack the tech to miniaturize Matter/Anti-Matter reactors and make them safe for shipboard use, and rely on fusion generators.)

As Romulans are Vulcan offshoots, the ship as a few nods to Vulcan tech. The main nacelle is an anular-type, like that typically seen on Vulcan ships. Two human-style linear nacelles increase warp maneuverability and speed. The combination acts not unlike the nacelle and static-warp-governor system employed by the NX class. Combined with the enormous Tokamak reactor housed in the aft hull, the RC-7 type can sustain up to warp 4.8 for as long as it's fuel reserves hold out.

This three-nacelle system was phased out by the 23'd century when the Romulan/Klingon alliance led to a better understanding of warp physics, but was phased back in in the 24th century. The Famous D'deridex used it's cavernous wings as first-stage static-warp-field generators, letting the comparatively small nacelles worry only about directing the ship.

Tactically, the ship features several (to-be-modeled) disruptor cannons, as well as a plethroa of thermonuclear missile launchers.

- - -

Artistically, the ship was inspired by This pre-warp bird, and partly by XFozzboute's Romulus War WIP. The fuel sponsons were stolen from a WWII U-boat.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice models, the federation ship looks great now it has some texturing. really good to see some realistic details. the romulan ship is also interesting but personally i prefer the sort of wide winged valdore or d'deridex shape, i will have to see how this one turns out.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Borkless wrote: »
    TOS or TNG tech, maybe. 22nd Century tech, where the heaviest ordnance in common usage is thermonuclear weapons... might be a fairer fight.

*ahem* this is a bit of a threadjack, but seeing as it's MY THREAD, I can do that.

Suffice to say I didn't like ENT. Stories were boring, Ship was a copy, acting really bad from Bakula and Blalock.

Berman was hardheaded and uninspired. At the end of THE DS9-VOY ENT GAUNTLET it was like being on a plane and watching the engines flame-out one...by one. Everyone of his movies was like taking the same plane through a super-cell but somehow he got Trek on the Ground. It wasn't a crash but I was happy to walk away from it.

Abrams is literally like the Joker flying the plane.

Anyhoo...
    I wish I knew how to texture. This looks so very well thought out, sir.
    I didn't know you'd be doing Rommies...
  • tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Suffice to say I didn't like ENT. Stories were boring, Ship was a copy, acting really bad from Bakula and Blalock.

Berman was hardheaded and uninspired. At the end of THE DS9-VOY ENT GAUNTLET it was like being on a plane and watching the engines flame-out one...by one. Everyone of his movies was like taking the same plane through a super-cell but somehow he got Trek on the Ground. It wasn't a crash but I was happy to walk away from it.

Anyhoo...

Ya know, I don't think I've ever see you say one thing positive about any Star Trek.

Anyhoo...

I'll admit ENT has it's bad Episodes (lot of them in the first two seasons) but when it's good it's good. Bakula did a great job, IMO, Balock... well she's playing a Vulcan, so there's that.

I've said this before, but I don't see how the NX-class is a copy of the Akira. Yes, from directly above, they have a vague similarity (though the totally different cats and much smaller saucer make the Akira distinctive) From every other angle the ships don't even look alike. The Cats dominate the Akira's silhouette, she's much taller than the comparatively flat NX, the Pylons angle the wrong way, and the Akira has that... growth on the bottom of her saucer.

I'll admit the Abrams movies aren't great films like WoK, First Contact. But they are Just Plain Fun.

(/rant)
    Textuing was... tricky to learn. Mine are pretty simplistic compared to some of the guys around here. I was always intending on making some Romulan ships (they are the principle threat of the 2160's) Horizon just bumped the schedule up a touch.
    tommygdawg wrote: »
    Ya know, I don't think I've ever see you say one thing positive about any Star Trek.
    Eh, everyone as a right to their opinion.
    Eh, everyone as a right to their opinion.

I agree totally, it's just after awhile it's like jeese...is there nothing positive to say? To each his own, but that doesn't mean we have to be demeaning all the time.

--Edit

By the by, don't know if I've said this, but I'm really liking how the Delta is looking. Textures add so much :D Of course you know I'm looking forward to the Romulan ships too.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like how the Delta is looking, though the grid lines seem a tad thick. I love the start on the Romulan ships. The Vulcan influences are great. :D
    I'll admit ENT has it's bad Episodes (lot of them in the first two seasons) but when it's good it's good. Bakula did a great job, IMO, Balock... well she's playing a Vulcan, so there's that.

Exhibit A:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF37eIdyk64
    It was about this bad from Bakula in the 1st and 2nd season, particularly the "angry expression", his common trope: Shouting at the Floor over hostility. Writing and directing are often sited for the deviation from Quantum Leap Days but I haven't seen it myself.

Remember it's not question of IF NX is a modified version.
    It is, from the Mouth of Drexler and Berman.
    I'll admit the Abrams movies aren't great films like WoK, First Contact. But they are Just Plain Fun.

(/rant)

Whoa...First Contact. I think most Fans were just happy to the borg on the Big Screen. You didn't mind the Character Plot hole of Picard, Cheap budget design of a "Warp Test Facility" and a climax which fooled no one as to if Data was "assmiliated." True...it was his best film though
    Textuing was... tricky to learn. Mine are pretty simplistic compared to some of the guys around here. I was always intending on making some Romulan ships (they are the principle threat of the 2160's) Horizon just bumped the schedule up a touch.

How did you learn? Do you have any tips are tutorials you looked into or did you just tough it out. I'm going after a CGI Defiant..I'm hoping to texture it. What should I expect?

tommygdawg

Blame the 90's
    By the by, don't know if I've said this, but I'm really liking how the Delta is looking. Textures add so much :D Of course you know I'm looking forward to the Romulan ships too.
    Thanks! I've put Delta on the backburner for now as I get further ahead with my Romulan stable.
    I really like how the Delta is looking, though the grid lines seem a tad thick. I love the start on the Romulan ships. The Vulcan influences are great. :D
    Ya, the Delta's textures need work. I did them at double the resolution I normally texture, and when I chose the wrong brush for that size.

Thanks, I was going for a vulcan-esque look for the Romulans. Give a cool "Evil Alien Submarine" which suits the sneaky Romulans.
    Exhibit A:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF37eIdyk64
    It was about this bad from Bakula in the 1st and 2nd season, particularly the "angry expression", his common trope: Shouting at the Floor over hostility. Writing and directing are often sited for the deviation from Quantum Leap Days but I haven't seen it myself.
    You've mentioned that clip before, and I still say that's the mirror universe, everyone's supposed to be hamming it up. In thee show proper, their acting seems decent enough. I'd say Trip's probably the best of the regulars, but the others aren't unwatchable bad.
    Remember it's not question of IF NX is a modified version.
    It is, from the Mouth of Drexler and Berman.
    As I recall, the NX class was only inspired by the Akira. While the two do have some general similarities, the NX is very much different. I'd say the Ambassador and Constitution look far far closer than Akira and NX.
    Whoa...First Contact. I think most Fans were just happy to the borg on the Big Screen. You didn't mind the Character Plot hole of Picard, Cheap budget design of a "Warp Test Facility" and a climax which fooled no one as to if Data was "assmiliated." True...it was his best film though
    Maybe it's just me, but I loved First Contact. Easily the best of the TNG films, and better than most of the TOS films. I didn't think the "Warp Test Facility" looked cheap at all, it looked like a USAF missile silo modified by a post-apocalyptic town. (And while Bozeman Montana was the launch site, the research facility could have been elsewhere, perhaps a pre-war think tank. Cochrane's claim that be built the drive for money makes more sense if he started pre-war)
    How did you learn? Do you have any tips are tutorials you looked into or did you just tough it out. I'm going after a CGI Defiant..I'm hoping to texture it. What should I expect?
    It depends on how good you are at UV mapping and 2d art. Defiant has some pretty tricky shapes, but the paint itself isn't that hard.

If you get good UV maps, getting the colors down shouldn't be that hard. What I'd do then is draw in the panel lines and apply some Gaussian blurring around the color transitions. It will have a slightly concept-artish look, but it's a good base for further tweaking.

- - -
    Update, again.

Delta's on the backburner for now, as getting the Romulan ship all prettied up is more pressing for now.

-29-555806_tn.jpg
    Got the Nacelles further blocked in. The endcaps need work, there's a few smoothing errors around the bussard vents, and I might tweak the warp coils, but the shapes are there. I tried to keep the semi-primitive look to echo the reduced tech of the 22nd century, and give it an alien twist while still being recognizable as a warp engine.

-29-555835_tn.jpg
    There's a small cradle under each nacelle for the interface. I'll probably add more detail and possibly a catwalk running aft. You can also see the much more detailed pylons. Multiple baffles along the plyon diffuse waste heat and dump if aftwards, minimizing the ship's sensor cross-section when viewed head-on, even when not in stealth mode. (They also look like feathers. Bird of Prey win!)

-29-555821_tn.jpg
    -29-555846_tn.jpg
    More shots of the fethe-I mean... "Thermal Baffles."
    Thanks! I've put Delta

As I recall, the NX class was only inspired by the Akira. While the two do have some general similarities, the NX is very much different. I'd say the Ambassador and Constitution look far far closer than Akira and NX.

Sorry I thought that was a different thread...:)
    I think Ex Astris Scientia and Memory Alpha have articles that confirm visually and by testimony that it's not just inspiration and it was done at extreme protest from the artist involved.

Maybe it's just me, but I loved First Contact. Easily the best of the TNG films, and better than most of the TOS films. I didn't think the "Warp Test Facility" looked cheap at all, it looked like a USAF missile silo modified by a post-apocalyptic town. (And while Bozeman Montana was the launch site, the research facility could have been elsewhere, perhaps a pre-war think tank. Cochrane's claim that be built the drive for money makes more sense if he started pre-war)

Actually a lot of fans love it.
    Unfortunately there is a lot of nonsense in that explanation.
    -ICBM's can't launch 100 tons (far from it)
    -you can't make money because antimatter cost $25 billion per gram est.
    -antimatter is too dangerous to operate on Earth (Galaxy class carries enough to destroy Earth 35 times over)
    -Best source of antimatter is in orbit from the Van Allen Belts, The sun or Cosmic rays (none of this is anti-deuterium)
    -an experimental drive HAS to be tested before construction and warping space can't be done on a planet.

In short there is no way this project could have been developed or produced on the ground safely or economically. They knew this a bit but what we see in the film was done for film economy. No space station model needed no massive ground facility, Even the extras were cut down to two people involved on this project when it should have been thousands.

If this movie were done today...even by Abrams it would have been much different and more epic.

It depends on how good you are at UV mapping and 2d art. Defiant has some pretty tricky shapes, but the paint itself isn't that hard.

If you get good UV maps, getting the colors down shouldn't be that hard. What I'd do then is draw in the panel lines and apply some Gaussian blurring around the color transitions. It will have a slightly concept-artish look, but it's a good base for further tweaking.

Is there a certain program to UV map or can any program do it.
    I have 3D Studio Max but I haven't touched it. I'm a Drafter and I'm learning Inventor it suits my talents for better and I'm hoping I can master before the year is done to easily create what ever complex shapes I desire. I don't know how to texture in it though. I'm hoping to transfer the model from one Autodesk product to another.

What program is this?

- - -
    Update, again.

Delta's on the backburner for now, as getting the Romulan ship all prettied up is more pressing for now.

-29-555806_tn.jpg
    Got the Nacelles further blocked in. The endcaps need work, there's a few smoothing errors around the bussard vents, and I might tweak the warp coils, but the shapes are there. I tried to keep the semi-primitive look to echo the reduced tech of the 22nd century, and give it an alien twist while still being recognizable as a warp engine.

-29-555835_tn.jpg
    There's a small cradle under each nacelle for the interface. I'll probably add more detail and possibly a catwalk running aft. You can also see the much more detailed pylons. Multiple baffles along the plyon diffuse waste heat and dump if aftwards, minimizing the ship's sensor cross-section when viewed head-on, even when not in stealth mode. (They also look like feathers. Bird of Prey win!)

-29-555821_tn.jpg
    -29-555846_tn.jpg
    More shots of the fethe-I mean... "Thermal Baffles."

What was the inspiration behind this style of Romulan ships...they look so much different even from what ENT showed us. In fact this looks like what a true earily warp or prewarp culture's ships should look like. These seem like Fusion Reactor ships fitted with Warp coils to travel at just over light speed.

(sigh) This is just the sort of stuff I wanted to see out of the show. Rugged, sub like and sparse. Very military like.
    Sorry I thought that was a different thread...:)
    I think Ex Astris Scientia and Memory Alpha have articles that confirm visually and by testimony that it's not just inspiration and it was done at extreme protest from the artist involved.
    That may be true, but to be honest, I don't really see it.
    Actually a lot of fans love it.
    Unfortunately there is a lot of nonsense in that explanation.
    -ICBM's can't launch 100 tons (far from it)
    -you can't make money because antimatter cost $25 billion per gram est.
    -antimatter is too dangerous to operate on Earth (Galaxy class carries enough to destroy Earth 35 times over)
    -Best source of antimatter is in orbit from the Van Allen Belts, The sun or Cosmic rays (none of this is anti-deuterium)
    -an experimental drive HAS to be tested before construction and warping space can't be done on a planet.

In short there is no way this project could have been developed or produced on the ground safely or economically. They knew this a bit but what we see in the film was done for film economy. No space station model needed no massive ground facility, Even the extras were cut down to two people involved on this project when it should have been thousands.

If this movie were done today...even by Abrams it would have been much different and more epic.
    -It's never stated the Phoenix made it to orbit. (such a thing would be utterly impossible for a Titan II, and unlikely even for the "Titan V" supposedly used in the film.) Merely clearing atmo, however, is a much less deltaV-intensive action. Going strait up and straight down could help explain how the Phoenix seemed to lack any thermal protection.
    -antimatter costs a ton right now, but First Contact takes place in 2063. I don't remember if it's even claimed that Phoenix used Antimatter either. Considering her Warp drive was active for all of five minutes, you could claim it ran on fusion, or even some kind of future-batteries.
    -I see three solutions to your last point. Might not be perfect, but help ease suspension of disbelief.
    1: they did run small-scale tests at the ISS or something, but Phoenix was the first ship large enough to carry a full-up warp engine/first manned ship/first ship to jump while Vulcans were in-system, and that's why she's recorded at the first warp ship.
    2: Cocrhane was didn't really care for his safety. He'd seen his whole world come crashing down around in during WWIII, he was a drunk... he would either be a hero, or go out in a blaze of glory.
    3: some combination of the above.
    Is there a certain program to UV map or can any program do it.
    I have 3D Studio Max but I haven't touched it. I'm a Drafter and I'm learning Inventor it suits my talents for better and I'm hoping I can master before the year is done to easily create what ever complex shapes I desire. I don't know how to texture in it though. I'm hoping to transfer the model from one Autodesk product to another.

What program is this?
    Most 3d Apps can UV unwrap. I know Sketchup can't but I'd be amazed if Max can't. I'd look around for tutorials/ask other Max users.
    As for me (because I'm cheap) I use Blender for my modeling needs and GIMP for texturing.
    What was the inspiration behind this style of Romulan ships...they look so much different even from what ENT showed us. In fact this looks like what a true earily warp or prewarp culture's ships should look like. These seem like Fusion Reactor ships fitted with Warp coils to travel at just over light speed.

(sigh) This is just the sort of stuff I wanted to see out of the show. Rugged, sub like and sparse. Very military like.
    I was going for an "Evil Alien Submarine" look for this one. A pure warship, and a little cramped and rugged like a U-boat. I wanted something that looked brutal and military, to show the spirit of Romulan starflight.

The Federation is out there out for exploration. The Klingons are out there for Glory, the Ferengi for profit... and the Romulans are out in space to frigging murder you.

The ship was inspired by This pre-warp bird, and partly by XFozzboute's Romulus War WIP. Some inspiration game from the Starfleet Museum. You should probably give it a gander, lots of uber-primitive but still very cool ships.

The ship was inspired by This pre-warp bird, and partly by XFozzboute's Romulus War WIP. Some inspiration game from the Starfleet Museum. You should probably give it a gander, lots of uber-primitive but still very cool ships.

Whoa, where did you find this stuff? Is it official or fan work?
    The first link is from an official but non-cannon book, the latter is fan-work.
    awesome nacelles and nice pylons for them.
    I'm loving the look of the details so far on the nacelles and pylons. :thumb:
    awesome nacelles and nice pylons for them.
    Thanks! The pylons were fun to build. I rebuilt the nacelles though, getting rid of some smoothing errors.
    Thanks!

-01-717614_tn.jpg
    I rebuilt the nacelle cowling. Now there's less smoothing errors and actual warp coils. Also looks more spaceish and less like submarine portholes.

-01-717654_tn.jpg
    I also detailed up the end caps. You've got heat baffles surrounding a central caged ball, inspired by the TOS endcaps.There's also six sets of feather-like doodads, based of the ridges on the rear of TOS and ENT nacelles.
    Thanks! The pylons were fun to build. I rebuilt the nacelles though, getting rid of some smoothing errors.

Thanks!

-01-717614_tn.jpg
    I rebuilt the nacelle cowling. Now there's less smoothing errors and actual warp coils. Also looks more spaceish and less like submarine portholes.

-01-717654_tn.jpg
    I also detailed up the end caps. You've got heat baffles surrounding a central caged ball, inspired by the TOS endcaps.There's also six sets of feather-like doodads, based of the ridges on the rear of TOS and ENT nacelles.

Awesome!! Loving the new details, looks great! :D
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    I agree, great detailing. Only critique is the ring in the back looks a tad segmented right now.
    Awesome!! Loving the new details, looks great! :D
    Thanks! Glad to hear you approve.
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    I agree, great detailing. Only critique is the ring in the back looks a tad segmented right now.
    Thanks! Doesn't surprise me the sustainer ring looks segmented. That's a placeholder mesh left over from when I was blocking in. The outrigger nacelles and their pylons are the only finished parts.
    Awesome. I love how it looks so much different than Starfleet detailing, yet it's still obviously Star Trek. :D

Thanks!

-01-717614_tn.jpg

-01-717654_tn.jpg

very nicely done! awesome nacelles and great details on the rear.
    really liking all this stuff...
    Attachment not found.
    Awesome. I love how it looks so much different than Starfleet detailing, yet it's still obviously Star Trek. :D
    Thanks! I figured when you get down to it, a warp coil's a warp coil, so the ship shouldn't look to bizarre.
    very nicely done! awesome nacelles and great details on the rear.
    really liking all this stuff...
    Thanks! Been having fun working on the details.

- - -
    -02-828602_tn.jpg
    Got a lot more work done on the RC-7. Blast plates have been fitted to the hull fuel sponsons. These plates are designed to fail before the internal bulkheads, ensuring that a ruptured fuel cell will blow out away from the hull, rather than cascade into another cell or damage the inner pressure hull. There's also a blocked in sail, and new Pylons for the Warp sustainer engine. (Well, sort of new, they're really the main pylons flipped and scaled. I'll make new ones soon)

-02-828660_tn.jpg
    Here we see the Vulcan-style sustainer ring, comlete with placeholder warp-coil textures. Why are the coils blue you ask? Because Vulcan tech uses blue, and there's no reason the Romulans would radically change their technology just to get another kind of glow.

You can also see the impulse exhaust. It's in tight "Cruise" mode right now.
    -02-828624_tn.jpg
    -02-828634_tn.jpg
    The Exaust is animated! Took me far, far to long to make blender do that.

-02-828647_tn.jpg
    Two RC-7 class cruisers on the prowl. Pretty ain't they?

-02-828671_tn.jpg
    Size Comparison with the NX class.
  • RekkertRekkert4080 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,308Member
    It looks amazing! The submarine-like design definitively fits the era and the Romulans. Truly an amazing design.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio

Indeed. Very alien....
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    O.o!!! they're coming to life, he turned the warp cores on!!!
    It looks great, but do the glowy bits have to be blue? That's so Starfleet. :p
    wonderful work and great engine nozzle but ti think the blue glow is wrong. either use romulan green, see the glowing bits on this image
    battlecruiser_valdore.jpg

or do them in a plain metallic colour, maybe a different shade of silver or something. some kind of worn metal panel could also have a good effect
    5D9112536577495B_t.jpg