Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DIntepid Class Prototype

• SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Here's a little update showing the detail to the saucer secton
    Attachment not found.

Sir that is looking fairly intriguing.
  • calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
    Ok here's a little update: I've finally sorted out the shield grid lines on the primary hull. And she has a name!
    USS Sternbach6.jpg
    101176.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    still a tad too thick in my view, but okay. Nice name. :)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Yeah...the wife is feeling a little neglected. She's started calling this the 'other woman' Lol!

I know this situation. My wife says the same sometimes... :lol::lol:
    Starship wrote: »
    I know this situation. My wife says the same sometimes... :lol::lol:

Well due to the wife (AHEM), I mean 'Time Constraints' I'm afraid there's not much of an update to show here. I've scaled the ship in accordance with the USS Voyager. Added some escape pods and ventral phaser array.

USS Sternbach7.jpg
    USS Sternbach8.jpg
    101197.jpg101198.jpg
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    I think its a mistake to match scales with the final Voyager design as the earlier concept was clearly always intended to be a much smaller ship. The runabout-style pylons and engineering details are a totally inappropriate design for a larger sized ship.
    Ok well I needed to scale the ship appropriately because I'm at the stage where I'm adding size-relevant details like escape pod hatches and windows. I actually scaled Voyager to it's length of 344 meters, then scaled a Type-9 shuttle in accordance with that. I then placed the shuttle next the Sternbach's hangar bay and scaled the ship relevant to that.
    A couple of people have mentioned that the ship should be tiny, like the Defiant and I think this is mainly due to the plylons you mentioned. Here's why I'm NOT going down that route;

1) Scaling the ship down would mean that a lot of detail would look out of place. Imagine the ship with MASSIVE windows and escape pod hatches on the hull. I'm trying to be as faithful as possible to Sternbach's original sketch (on page 1 of this thread) and having those dispraportionately sized elements in the design would not only differ from that template but would just look plain wrong.

2) Downscaling the ship would also mean that the bridge would have to be enlarged which would mean that it would no longer fit into it's little ovaloid mount on the saucer section.

3) And most importantly...I just don't want a tiny ship dammit!! LOL!

The size it is now means that theres plenty of room in the shuttlebay, the bridge fits and everything else fits in proportion.
    For me, the actual size is ok. :thumb:
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i far prefer this new ship to the voyager,i think the pylons are fine. perhaps make it a bit more grey rather than blue.
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it so far. Just wish I had more time to spend on it. Don't worry about the colour btw, the blue is just a hue effect from the lighting.
    This really makes me appreciate the ship we got in Intrepid. But this is what study models are for. It also inspires at the same time. I wonder what a Miranda style Intrepid would look like...
    Here's a couple of shots of my progress so far... Most of the detailing is now done. The primary hull is pretty much complete. Just need to add some Starfleet pendants!

USS Sternbach.jpg
    USS Sternbach2.jpg
    101244.jpg101245.jpg
    Coming along real nice.
    Anyway, I still think the grid lines needs to have a small gap between them. ;)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I like the lower hull details, they look really good.
    Cheers guys. I will probably go back to the grid lines sooner or later but I desperately need to get this finished now so ill press on.
    The hull detail on the top is simply exquisite.
    crossing fingers for Google Warehouse.
    Saquist wrote: »
    crossing fingers for Google Warehouse.

Its on there mate, just follow the link.
    Great Work.

With a more substantial saucer and the engines a little higher with the bottom of the Stardrive I can see this working.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a great looking model. :)
    Some people have wondered what this ship would look like with the engines raised up. Well this is for you guys.
    :D

USS San Marino.jpg

I don't mind the look of it myself, but it does remind me a lot of the USS Equinox like this. For me, this confirms that I much prefer Sternbach's original underslung arrangement.
    101288.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    better with nacelles below.
  • RekkertRekkert4055 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,305Member
    It turned out great mate, I think it's the best model of this ship I've seen.
    As for the raised-up nacelles, in my opinion they look better that way. Not because "it's the norm of Starfleet ships" or anything like that, but because they give the ship a much more balanced feel.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. If popular opinion is really split over this I might just have to release a refit version!
    I thought I was looking a thumbnail of Sovereign...
    Definitely Nacelles up.
    Give us another perspective shot.
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    Nacelles up does made it more balanced-looking, although not as unique. I wonder, does the pylon structure allow for a reversed Bird-of-Prey style swing, with up for warp, middle for cruise, and down for landing?
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    First of all, is your avatar the "Nacelle Tex" stencil from a couple years ago?

Second, inspired by your work, I did a quick sketch, merging the original model you're working on with the final Voyager model. If yours is the Sternbach, I guess mine is the Sternfront...

stenfront.jpg
    First of all, is your avatar the "Nacelle Tex" stencil from a couple years ago?

Second, inspired by your work, I did a quick sketch, merging the original model you're working on with the final Voyager model. If yours is the Sternbach, I guess mine is the Sternfront...

Ha no! I made that Avatar a few days ago. I wanted to try and blend an element of 'Calamity Jane' with a Star Trek and that's what I came up with!

Awesome sketch btw! I could see that as being an add-on starship to the long range explorer class in STO. Great stuff.
    slybrarian wrote: »
    Nacelles up does made it more balanced-looking, although not as unique. I wonder, does the pylon structure allow for a reversed Bird-of-Prey style swing, with up for warp, middle for cruise, and down for landing?

Not yet, but with a few modifications...maybe!