Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DIntepid Class Prototype

13»

• calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
    Rick Sternbach came back to me with the following request on TrekBBS:

"Could you try rolling both nacelles 180 degrees and reattaching to the pylons? I like the upward bend on the pylons, but I think the nacelles turned over would give a little crisper look to the whole ship. It's one of those undefinable stylistic somethings that speaks to me.

Rick"

I could never refuse that guy, so I posted a few shots and angles. Saquist, I hope you like these other angles too mate. As I thought of perhaps having the 'raised nacelles' version as a refit of this class, I added some extra impulse engines too. Kinda like the Excelsior, I thought perhaps the original impulse engines looked a bit weak on the original version. Anyways, here it is:

Untitled.jpg
    101292.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member

"Could you try rolling both nacelles 180 degrees and reattaching to the pylons? I like the upward bend on the pylons, but I think the nacelles turned over would give a little crisper look to the whole ship. It's one of those undefinable stylistic somethings that speaks to me.

Rick"

I could never refuse that guy, so I posted a few shots and angles. Saquist, I hope you like these other angles too mate. As I thought of perhaps having the 'raised nacelles' version as a refit of this class, I added some extra impulse engines too. Kinda like the Excelsior, I thought perhaps the original impulse engines looked a bit weak on the original version. Anyways, here it is:

Untitled.jpg

That's it.
    These modification really cement this as viable and balanced. Any problem I had before I don't...event the thickness of the saucer becomes most irrelevant because it's not the only module in visible juxtaposition with the secondary hull on the ventral side. It looks simple...great and yet still unique. I like it.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    still prefer the nacelles below version, the variable geometry system like a bird of prey does also sound very cool though. now the nacelles are up it has lost quite a bit of uniqueness.
    This is the Intrepid Class starship prototype designed by Rick Sternbach. Many thanks to Mindless-Productions for the use of their Type 11 shuttle and simobassa for the use of his Nemesis Drydock.
    USS Sternbach Drydock.jpg
    101329.jpg
    awesome, well thought out composition though some of the materials could be better.
    Thanks
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member

Rick"

Untitled.jpg

Looks like a good variant! This version will be available for download too? :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    The raised nacelles make it pop.
    I've just returned from a quick break and wanted you all to see my latest render. This is the ship all lit up!:thumb:
    USS VGR 1.jpg
    101404.jpg
    very nice, perhaps a bit too blue in colour. make it more grey next time?
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,285Member
    "It's cute" would sound like an insult, but it is! It actually reminds me of a yacht.
    very nice, perhaps a bit too blue in colour. make it more grey next time?

Here's one that's a bit more 'grey scale' just for you...
    USS VGR 1b.jpg
    101405.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    What program are you using for lighting?
    Here's one that's a bit more 'grey scale' just for you...
    USS VGR 1b.jpg
    thanks, nice image. the ship certainly looks better than most starfleet designs.
    Saquist wrote: »
    What program are you using for lighting?

Kerkythea. It's good but it takes a full day to tender on my slow @ss computer.

thanks, nice image. the ship certainly looks better than most starfleet designs.
    Thanks man.
    Another angle.
    USS VGR 2.jpg
    101430.jpg
    another good render, you should try some klingon or romulan stuff next, or maybe a space station.
    another good render, you should try some klingon or romulan stuff next, or maybe a space station.

Thanks man I really appreciate how you've been following this project and offering your opinions and support along the way. I'm actually already working on a cardassian keldon class warship. I used to love those...
    Just as a side note, I did a conversion for 3ds max last night, using Deep Exploration.
    No error at all, but the geometry turnned aout a bit confuse... IA’ll try other settings and intermediary formats, just to see how it goes. I just need to find a freetime. :lol:
    Starship wrote: »
    I did a conversion for 3ds max last night, using Deep Exploration.
    may i ask, what is this Deep Exploration thing?
    Just as a side note, I did a conversion for 3ds max last night, using Deep Exploration.
    No error at all, but the geometry turnned aout a bit confuse... IA’ll try other settings and intermediary formats, just to see how it goes. I just need to find a freetime. :lol:

Mate that's brilliant thanks so much. Without kind people like you, my models would never see the light of 3ds max and lightwave. Please, if you manage to get the settings sorted out, do post some pictures here!
    may i ask, what is this Deep Exploration thing?

Deep exploration is an amazing software that helps you doing mesh conversions. ItA’s not like a breeze but, with some work, you can convert (from and to) lightwave, studio max, truespace, sketchup, obj.... Here, the site:
    http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/de_std.html ;)
    Mate that's brilliant thanks so much. Without kind people like you, my models would never see the light of 3ds max and lightwave. Please, if you manage to get the settings sorted out, do post some pictures here!

Thank you for the kind words.
    But itA’s me that needs to say thank you! Your meshes are very cool, and are getting better and better after each new release. :thumb:
    In time: the renderings using Kirkythea turnned out very good. ;)
    Thank you for the kind words.
    But itA’s me that needs to say thank you! Your meshes are very cool, and are getting better and better after each new release. :thumb:
    In time: the renderings using Kirkythea turnned out very good. ;)

Thanks very much mate, practice makes perfect!

USS VGR 3aFINAL.jpg
    101545.jpg
    Thanks very much mate, practice makes perfect!

USS VGR 3aFINAL.jpg
    amazing render, you did that straight from sketchup export? how did you create the explosion?
    amazing render, you did that straight from sketchup export? how did you create the explosion?

Thanks mate that's very kind of you to say. My process is generally a follows: Build and colour the model in Sketchup, light and render it in Kerkythea and finish off any additional special effects (such as explosions etc) in Paint.Net. All good programs and they're all free!
  • BCBC0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks mate that's very kind of you to say. My process is generally a follows: Build and colour the model in Sketchup, light and render it in Kerkythea and finish off any additional special effects (such as explosions etc) in Paint.Net. All good programs and they're all free!

Speaking of Kerkythea, do you have any idea what the "password required" stuff is about on the Kerkythea website? The program looks like it might have been interesting.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    BC wrote: »
    Speaking of Kerkythea, do you have any idea what the "password required" stuff is about on the Kerkythea website? The program looks like it might have been interesting.

See here:
    http://www.kerkythea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12283