Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeep Space Nine

124»

• SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Good grief...is it error free?
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1920 CaliforniaPosts: 2,074Member
    Completely Amazing. Incredible work. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804572 Posts: 11,177Member
    Dude, that's freaking awesome. Fantastic work. :thumb:
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Beautiful work.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Good grief...is it error free?
    Well, a Cardassian station that's error free? Dude don't set your stakes to high. Besides, even if all the quirks and issues have been ironed out.. Always keep in mind that upgrades will ever wait for next Tuesday to arrive.
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,981Member
    W O N D E R F U L L work!!!

Sharing this beauty with us is to much generous. :thumb: In advance, a BIG thank you!
  • wibblewibble1251 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 562Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Indeed, cracking work well worth the wait. And yet another example that can't make me help but wonder how cool a ST:TNG Blu-Ray style HD remastered DS9 re-release would be.

I have to agree, but I have heard that so often in the last years that I'm sure that CBS already recognized that there is a request for it, plus the critical success they had have with the TNG-Remastering I have no doubt that there will be a comparable DS9 Blu-Ray release one day or the other.

But back to topic:
    You have done wonderful work nightfever. I was thinking about doing one by my selfe for quite a while but I realized pretty quick that it would be too ambitious for my level of skills. but I followed your thread from the beginning and saved all your Progress Pictures for reference. Its wonderfull to see them finished now.
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    Awesome!
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Indeed, cracking work well worth the wait. And yet another example that can't make me help but wonder how cool a ST:TNG Blu-Ray style HD remastered DS9 re-release would be.

Well, we'll get to see a little bit of that next year when TNG's Season 6 comes out on blu-ray. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    That demand will get higher if it's true that there is a Trek Series in development..
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Thank you guys, I'm glad you like it. The model will be for free.

I made a little rig for my planned animation. It will include a landing Runabout. In doing so I asked myself, if DS9 has no doors that will close the Runabouts bays. What you only ever see are the raised landing platforms.
    So here is my approach: Runabout away = platform raised, Runabout docked = platform lowered and doors closed
    The real anmolly apparently runabouts are 50 to 70 meters long compared to those doors...ah scaling...How I missed DS9's scaling issues.

Everyone loves seeing DS9 just we remember it but we apparently remember it all wrong.
    It' be nice if some one redesigned the station to how it was supposed to be.

Nightfever...
    Too complicated. All you need is to parting doors to either side.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Runabouts were 160 - 230 FEET long??!? They certainly never seemed it to me. I didn't get the impression they were as long as a tractor-trailer rig (55-60 feet, if a long-nose cab) let alone half a football-field plus.

Then again, it's not like the TNG/DS9/Voy era was consistent between shows, within shows, or even within episodes sometimes!

Not to thread-jack. GORGEOUS station! It's never an easy design from all I can tell, just completing it is an accomplishment and a half. Rigging it??!? Sheesh!
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    No, I think that is how big they would need to be to match the size shown when using the landing pads. DS9 scaling was.... well, it basically wasn't.
    Hey guys, check out the downloads under http://www.alex3d.info/downloads/
    Unfortunately I'm not able to test the exported formats (obj, 3ds, fbx7.2) within other 3D applications. So you need to try and hope.
    Good luck and have fun.

Edit: I am currently having troubles with Wordpress's file manager and some files. Please try again later.

Edit again: All downloads are ready now.
  • raytridiraytridi0 Posts: 0Member
    nightfever wrote: »
    It's done, finally.
    So what do I have?
    If all symmetries and instances are converted to polygon objects:
    2500 objects
    2.470.000 polygons
    172 lights
    5 sets of 4096x4096 texture maps (diffuse, specular, bump) and 4 additional light maps

.c4d file will be available wihtin the next few days.

Nice modeling and texturing. Nice job.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, scale was always an issue to say the least. Just consider the size variance of the Defiant when docked, and the size it is generally supposed to be, or as mentioned above, the Runabouts when on the landing pad, not to mention bigger Federation ships when docked such as the Ent-D. As much as I loved this show (easily my fave Trek show), boy was crap scaling an issue.

As for the Runabout bay hatch, I quite like it, yeah, it is a bit overly complicated, but I could live with it.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Sad to report "ds9_core_GLOW.png" missing from files.
    Never mind just saw it upped on your site... :)
  • count23count23366 Posts: 784Member
    Did you extrapolate the "outer landing pad door" or was there something in the TM showing how that works? Cause it's kinda ingenious, but not really cardassian imo. Cardy stuff seems more angular then square. I love it though anyway :)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Holy cow! This is a freaking amazing model! Really impressive work, and really generous of you to release this to the community! :)
    Thanks
    Nadesico wrote: »
    Did you extrapolate the "outer landing pad door" or was there something in the TM showing how that works? Cause it's kinda ingenious, but not really cardassian imo. Cardy stuff seems more angular then square. I love it though anyway :)

The doors were my own idea and yes, they are not Cardassian style. But the Federation upgraded the stations weaponry considerably, so the could have change some other stuff like the doors or my workbee sockets.
    Too bad the authors didn't use that in the story.
    As it has been asked in the F3D thread, I say it here too:

Mat1, 2, 3, 4 are simple brownish RGB color shaders.
    1: 41/36/31
    2: 45/41/40
    3: 61/55/54
    4: 67/59/44
    Objects that have one of those materials are not UV layed out.
    nightfever wrote: »
    Thanks

The doors were my own idea and yes, they are not Cardassian style. But the Federation upgraded the stations weaponry considerably, so the could have change some other stuff like the doors or my workbee sockets.
    Too bad the authors didn't use that in the story.

Makes sense. I'd always figured that the way the runabout hangars were meant to work is the landing platform is the outer space door and a landed ship is rolled into the adjacent bays you see in "in the pale moonlight", and the romulan shuttle sitting on the pad with the door open was just a one of SF gaff. But it makes sense Starfleet would improve on the design so they don't have a landing bay exposed to space with a filmsy airlock door between them and vacuum. Bloody cardies :)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    We surely haven't seen it from the outside but there is a shot in the Pilot Episode from inside the Hangar where you can see how the doors open before the pad is raised. But in later seasons we got severel shots from Ferengi shuttles sitting in the open bay. So I gues they gave up the Idea of a Hangar door for some reason, probably budget related.
    Yeah, they did show doors early on. They probably stopped after a while due to budget for other craft. Though, I suspect it was something else for runabouts, since they could use stock footage for them. It was probably cut for time. It wouldn't be the first time they shortened effects sequences. Plus, after a time, they pretty much stopped showing the runabouts launching. Somebody may have figured it was old hat. ;)
    I also think it wasn't just the budget, but there surly have been severel reasons. That Shot I was speaking of with the Ferengi Shuttle we first saw when Quark got this shuttle from his cousine and it was later used as stock footage every time the nagus arrived on DS9. It is quiete a nice shot with the camera scroling over the station and revealing that shuttle inside the station. Also one of the many times they tried to connect outside shots with the inside of the station what makes the aesthetic of the show (although this has always been the moments when the scaling issues got obviouse, but thats part of the fun) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that this shot simply wouldn't have worked with closed doors, so next to budget und time reasons there also might have been some creative reasons.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    wibble wrote: »
    We surely haven't seen it from the outside but there is a shot in the Pilot Episode from inside the Hangar where you can see how the doors open before the pad is raised....

Nice catch. You can see (very little :)) here - http://youtu.be/we9lqkvrL5o?t=36m25s
    wibble wrote: »
    I also think it wasn't just the budget, but there surly have been severel reasons. That Shot I was speaking of with the Ferengi Shuttle we first saw when Quark got this shuttle from his cousine and it was later used as stock footage every time the nagus arrived on DS9. It is quiete a nice shot with the camera scroling over the station and revealing that shuttle inside the station. Also one of the many times they tried to connect outside shots with the inside of the station what makes the aesthetic of the show (although this has always been the moments when the scaling issues got obviouse, but thats part of the fun) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that this shot simply wouldn't have worked with closed doors, so next to budget und time reasons there also might have been some creative reasons.

I remember the Ferengi shuttle. Little Green Men, classic episode. :D

I'm sure one big factor to not seeing that was not wanting to build that section of the model large enough to accommodate the shuttle model and with working doors. ;)
    Comco wrote: »
    Nice catch. You can see (very little :)) here - http://youtu.be/we9lqkvrL5o?t=36m25s

Nice video, it implies that the hangar door is a single door that seems to open clockwise against the habitat ring, not sure where they'd find the room for that considering the adjacent sections, even if the door pulled out at an angle... it'd have to be deeper then they display it to make it retreat like that.

one other bit of curiosity, the hangar they show in that does not match what they showed later on in pale moonlight:

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/6x19/inthepalemoonlight168.jpg
    http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/6x19/inthepalemoonlight171.jpg
    http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/6x19/inthepalemoonlight170.jpg
    http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/6x19/inthepalemoonlight172.jpg

While I like this version better, there is physically no space in the habitat ring at each landing pad for that much "straight section", the pad would have to be a 3rd of it's size to fit that, heh. Another scaling issue, lol.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class