Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Grissom

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice job, never even noticed that recess at the rear of the lower pod before, great attention to detail, and in no time at all, excellent work. Let's reshoot Star Trek 3 now, you've practically got all the assets now.

;)
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I can't wait to see you take on the Bird of Prey at some point Mr. Richter.
    Can I ask what program do you use?
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    whoa! that was fast! guess no computer game playing during this one!! :)

Details look great sir! UV and textures aren't to bad with this one.. :)

oh, He uses Maya...
  • Billynom8Billynom8186 Posts: 44Member
    Amazing speed! perfect detail! :o
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    whoa! that was fast! guess no computer game playing during this one!! :)
    :lol:I was gonna say the same thing.

Incredible work Tobias, you made in 3 days what I wouldn't be able to in a year!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
    Fantastic. One of my favorite ships. I've got a couple of old varients I built a long time agao and I've been itching to rebuild them. This will help greatly because I couldn't find much of any reference pics for it.
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work as usual.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    Awesome stuff, Tobias. I figured this ship wouldn't take you long, it's a lot smaller and less complex than the Excelsior and you booked through that one also. :)
  • gmd3dgmd3d251 DublinPosts: 132Member
    awesome work on this design ......
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work. If Tobias took Amphetamine for modeling that would actually slow him down. He is one fast modeler. :D
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Whoa, the Oberth class actually looks COOL! She has much more detail than I would have thought. 3 days to do this?? sheeeeeesh
  • 3DTEKO63DTEKO6171 Posts: 12Member
    Looking forward to the Borg Cube. lol... just kidding. Great job!
    3DTEKO6 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Borg Cube. lol... just kidding. Great job!

Well I think ..that would be an actual challenge for Mr. Richter.
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    Ok Tobias, what modeling projects actually make you nervous? :)
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1920 CaliforniaPosts: 2,074Member
    I have a question. I was inspired by this project to model one of my own. I have discovered that when it comes to the front and rear faces of the "booms" that connect the lowermost hull to the upper engine and saucer portion of the model that the polygon faces have to be twisted to transition from the vertical orientation next to the lower hull, to the horizontal attachment at the engine end. This is to keep the face perpendicular to the long axis of the model (to keep them facing directly forward in the front and directly backward at the rear). Is there a good way (easy way) to do this to be sure it is accurate? This situation creates a problem where the polygons cannot be planar (I think) unless they are tripled. Correct me if I am wrong. Of course the fact that the booms taper makes this more complicated. Perhaps a wire mesh of just your booms would help Tobias. ;)
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Not to sound pretentious, but this thread has given me a new appreciation for the design. I've always thought of it as an oddity, and probably the ship I'd least like to be posted to if I were in Starfleet (well, it doesn't have the greatest safety record...), but some of these views really make it look quite grand. I think the ship would actually be a rather impressive sight as you saw it through the windows of an airlock on your way to board. Lovely.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    It is definitely a graceful looking thing, it has nice flowing lines, especially the lower section which looks almost like a pontoon or canoe, or some other sleek water craft. Have always had an appreciation for this ship even if it does have a bad track record in a fight, but after all it is just a science vessel and not built for combat.
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    I've always loved this ship. Of all of the movie Fed ships it is the least "lets paste the Enterprise back together in a different order".
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    I'm going to switch to Maya so I can use the "make Star Trek ship" button and "instant starship texture" material node! LOL!

Seriously though, you are fast and your work is always impressive. I always thought the Grissom was an ugly ship, but your renders are making me think twice.

Like someone else in this thread had mentioned, I'd love to see you do a borg cube (or a sona ship). I follow most of your threads, but if you did the cube I'd follow it twice! Don't mind me....I need sleep

JMoney
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    JMoney wrote: »
    I'm going to switch to Maya so I can use the "make Star Trek ship" button and "instant starship texture" material node! LOL!
    JMoney

I already searched for that, but I think you will need a special plugin. :confused:
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1920 CaliforniaPosts: 2,074Member
    Tobias must be engaged in a paying project. Long time no see.:( Then again, if he's getting paid. That's cool.
    Tobias must be engaged in a paying project. Long time no see.:( Then again, if he's getting paid. That's cool.

Either that, or he returned to Skyrim. :)
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Either that, or he returned to Skyrim. :)

Or Mass Effect 3.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • ElectronElectron171 Posts: 0Member

He's probably doing another short film for FedCon coming up in May.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Been doing UV layout for the Oberth and the Excelsior, so not much to show. And been busy with regular paying jobs :)
    No FedCon movie this year...
    Mass Effect box is sitting here, unopened for now. This will surely be a major distraction, but not as much as Skyrim (150 hours total for me on that one - sheesh).
    Been doing UV layout for the Oberth and the Excelsior, so not much to show. And been busy with regular paying jobs :)
    No FedCon movie this year...
    Mass Effect box is sitting here, unopened for now. This will surely be a major distraction, but not as much as Skyrim (150 hours total for me on that one - sheesh).

Mass Effect 3 has been a massive distraction for me too. One Weekend Gone...and counting...
    Don't forget that you may need to play the multiplayer to improve your ending in single player.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Back from Skyrim and Mass Effect and some other stuff IA’ve been doing. UV layout on the Oberth and Excelsior has been done, so I thought I start with texturing the easier one (one three main maps there compared to the seven 4K maps for the Excelsior). First map is done - main saucer and warp nacelles. I should be done with the little ship by the end of the week...
    94557.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    It's good to see you're back at it. The textures look great so far. :)
    Welcome back! Those textures look great, can't wait to see the whole ship done.
  • gmd3dgmd3d251 DublinPosts: 132Member
    Great textures...
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”