Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Grissom

tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2012 in Work in Progress #1
As mentioned in the Excelsior thread, I took a break from that one and started the Grissom today. This should be a much more easier model - had a pretty good start this evening...
93935.jpg
93936.jpg
Post edited by tobiasrichter on
Tagged:

• Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    Off to a great start, as expected. :D

Funny, since the "second/third" episode of TNG is The Naked Now... ;)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    ^

We all know what name this beauty will carry first. :D As always, Tobias... top-notch work.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Nice work Mr. Richter.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like a strong start :) will be interesting to see how it moves along as you continue to add details and more shapes
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    well all my refs are... wel you know where...

Great looking start sir! are you going to adress the size/deck issue or just build it according to the plans and leave the point moot??

looking forward to see how mine an urs compare!
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    What can be said Tobias? Great model so far!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • count23count23366 Posts: 784Member
    I was doing some research into details for the model a few weeks back, seems to be scarce references for the bottom of the saucer/obloid. I'll be interested to see what you can dredge up for that part Tobias.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    That's interesting, I always thought this one had the same style windows as the Enterprise and Excelsior. Shows how much I know... <_<

This is definitely off to a great start. Really looking forward to the details on this one, especially the impulse assembly and sensors.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    Great stuff, as usual. I keep meaning to build this beauty, but I haven't done it yet. :)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    i always wondered hor the hell would they go from the saucer to the lower module...
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    I always thought the design made more sense if you assumed the lower pod was not an engineering hull but in fact a completely uninhabited instrumentation pod (the ship is a science vessel afterall) - the entire unit could be swapped out with pods equipped with mission-specific equipment. One can also then imagine tanker or cargo pods being fitted instead. In all cases there need no be any obvious change to the ship's exterior appearance.
    L2K wrote: »
    i always wondered hor the hell would they go from the saucer to the lower module...

Jefferies tubes in the pylons. Some fan-made MSDs even show a turbo tube in there, but I don't think it's wide enough for that.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    According to ExAstris, there is room for a 1meter turbolift in the pylons, even if the ship is just 120 meters long. In ayn case, I will not make any adjustments but built it as it was seen on screen. I too think that the lower section is mostly for sensors and scientific instruments, maybe even hazardous for people.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Looks like a good start so far.

It makes absolutely no sense at all for that bottom pod to have habitable space. No one in their right minds would design a ship with interconnecting structures like that if it was expected people would need to routinely move between them. Form always follows function in these cases, and so the most logical conclusion has to be that the pod is filled with science equipment. Given that the ship is a science/survey vessel, I'm not sure why people would think anything else.

There would be emergency access through the pylons, but it would be a total ball ache to get down there.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, have to admit I've always assumed the pod just housed sensor equipment. I mean look at the hull surface, it has an unusual panelling which could be some sort of sensor array, and no windows either which is also a big hint that this is a non-inhabitable area of the ship seeing as most Federation ships have windows all over the things.
    Hard-line transporters. Step in, wait a few seconds,woosh, and step off the pad in the lowwer bit. All via optical cabling..probably easier than a turbolift or jefferies tube...
    The only problem with the lower section supposedly being uninhabited/dangerous is the MSD for the SS Vico. It clearly shows rooms down there. Of course, it can be argued that those rooms house equipment, but the layout pretty much looks like the layout of any other ST ship. I don't see why that whole area would be uninhabitable, but it might contain stuff that doesn't have to be regularly manned.
    well.. the only airlocks on the darn thing are on the module.... egh... so thinking, there are rooms down there.. but usually not manned, only accesed by jefferys tubes, like the torpedo launcher on the reliant, or warp control rooms in the nacelles... egh
    Did some stuff on the top of the primary module - the rather good documented side. Now onto the underside...
    93962.jpg
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/ExcelsiorReference for all my refs (if you dont have them)

and

https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/Oberth my build of the oberth... if ur interested :)

looking great... some odds and ends i done diferently.. but thats just the nature of the fuzzy refs.. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Looking great Tobias! However I must say that I was under the impression that all those raised squares on the hull were textures rather than modeling. Also I must say that the impulse details behind the saucer seem to be rather different from the references I have.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    However I must say that I was under the impression that all those raised squares on the hull were textures rather than modeling.

I think you mean paint or decals rather than textures. ;) However, I do believe you are correct, they don't look like they're raised on the studio model.

Other than that minor detail, it looks fantastic. :)
    Thanks for the Refs, Valkyrie - theyA’ll be very helpful.

I know that the plating is probably just paint on the real model, but since there is not a lot of detal going on otherwise, I thought IA’d make it at least slightly raised to give some sense of depth. I might reduce that even more.

There are a lot of different Refs on the detail behind the saucer, but no godd ones - most of them are rather fuzzy, some taken from kits or fan-made versions. I found pictures of the Pegasus that I hope show the studio model and are a tad more detailed. ThatA’s what I based my version on.
    93968.jpg
  • gmd3dgmd3d251 DublinPosts: 132Member
    Very nice modeling,,,, I had a go at this a year or two ago, wish I had these references you now have :)
    any chance of some wire-frames when your finished. best learning tool short of having the model I think.

Ger
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    Bottom primary detail and pylons are done, Secondary hull base is also done, but still needs detailing...
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Why does it seem...this comes just way to easy for this guy...
    It's beautiful. I thought like most renditions of this ship that it would come off looking much like a toy...but this clearly is a starship.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Speedy don't nearly cover it. Cracking work.
    Looks great! 2 things, both on the sensor hull (bottom pod.. errr whatever its callled!!)

front, bottom cut out, can't tell from the angle, but needs to be sunk in, as in concave, not level if it is.. please ignore..

2nd. maybe you haven't gotten around to it, but the back of the pod, cutout needs to be a grill, like a warp nacelle...

and have fun with the back nav defelector ? tunnel on the tail!!
    Thanks for the tips, Valk - IA’ve changed the model accordingly. I just did some sensor/deflector stuff at the back, as there is no picture available that shows what exactly is in there.

And I finished the modelling part today. That was really pretty quick - started on thursday evening - a total of about 20 hours :thumb:

Here are some pictures of the final model - as well as some orthos.

IA’ll probably UVmap and texture the Grissom next, as I am sure it is much easier then the Excelsior. But that may take some time...
    93987.jpg93988.jpg93989.jpg93991.jpg
    Beautiful! Is it just me or did that secondary bit go the other way around at some point in the ships original design?