Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWings of Saint Nazaire (Game Art) Large Images!

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice job on this one, cool and original design and sound execution, looking forward to seeing your next vessel.

:thumb:
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Perfect.
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    SO beyond the great artwork, how far along is this game, in terms of coding, missions, building, etc...?
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Howard, that Diamondback... Amazing. This is THE iconic good-guy ship of this game. Unique, familiar, different, recognizable, deadly, sleek, and... orange!

You have some simply awesome branding going on here, and I hope this game really takes off.
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    Talon_UK: Thanks! I'm just glad this guy got actually used in something. :D And here's the Hognose...
    hognose01.png
    hognose02.png
    hognose03.png
    She's a long range anticapship bomber. Those are four antimatter torpedoes you see mounted off centerline. :D
    In case you're curious, the art that inspired this is...
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8F1Voh23NSs/S9dsSnKgm5I/AAAAAAAAABM/6vMH7cnoOis/s1600/shipspage_2.jpg
    But I'm only really planning to take the off-centered aspect of that. :D

Roadwarrior: Thanks!
    Knight26: So, we've got the flight portion working mostly as we want it to, you can fly around, shoot lasers, and blow ships up. Some of the cockpit gauges are hooked up, and we've got some preliminary music running in the background, along with some prelim effects. Still a long way to go, but everything we're doing is at least blocked out and documented, and I've got a tasklist as long as my arm. :D
  • broadwingbroadwing0 Posts: 0Member
    howard, may I just say that I love where that project is going... Funny how it already achieved it's own flavor modelwise... for my part I'm already under the spell!
    Klavs81, broadwing: Thanks guys! I really appreciate the enthusiasm for this project. :)

I took some time to do a prelim on the adventure-game cinematics...I'm not at all happy how the elements interact with each other, and I think I'm going to do it a different way.
    BorneoLaunch.gif
    Anything else obvious stand out to you guys?
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    yep, that doesnt look right. the perspective, and probably the lighting of the two ships seem to not to match with each other.
    I cannot pinpoint what it is exactly... perhaps the non existing shadow from the starting ship on the carrier..
    Looks great, especially love the final moment flyby, that looks spot on. Only issue is as you say, the compositing of the two elements doesn't quite marry up, possibly the scale is a little off too, doesn't look like that craft would fit comfortably in that capital ship's hanger, and also the shuttlecraft kinda stalls a bit as it leaves that hanger, which also looks a little weird, smooth that out and get the two main elements to sit more comfortably with each other and you'll go a long way towards making it look perfect.

Liking the look of the new ship, should be pretty beefy looking when it's done. Gonna need quite a bit of heavy shielding around those missile silos, I expect the texture in that area will be all blackened as a result of the exhaust from multiple missile launches. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    I think it's probably the acceleration that's hurting it... it goes from stationary to zoom in too short a time span. Also, it seems you have self-shadowing but that the fighter isn't casting shadows onto the ship it's launching from?
    Oh, man! I love the Hognose. That is a neat and unusual design. Also like were the animation is going, so as always, keep up the good work!:)
    Thanks, guys! I agree with all your comments - and I've tried to adjust and take them into consideration, and fix what I can. The only thing wonky right now is the particle effect smoke...and I think I can see a way around that.
    BorneoLaunch3.gif
    Thoughts?
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    Howard Day wrote: »
    Thanks, guys! I agree with all your comments - and I've tried to adjust and take them into consideration, and fix what I can. The only thing wonky right now is the particle effect smoke...and I think I can see a way around that.
    BorneoLaunch3.gif
    Thoughts?

Looks fantastic.:thumb:

Only:
    The three bright flares are a little bit irritating.
    The smoke moves a little bit with the camera when the camera starts to follow the smaller ship.
    And there are some shadows which appears at the front of the bigger ship when it's nearly out of view.
    Yes, the smoke is a problem... One I think I have the solution to. I've gotta re-animate some things, and then I'll post and update. The shadows will get fixed too. :D
    In the mean time, one of the horrible side-effects of deciding to do a multiplayer release first...means that all the alien ships will be viewed from much closer than I originally intended, or indeed, built for. So on that note, I'd like to show you the update of one of the ships - the Heavy Fighter of the bunch - The "Jurhta"!
    ALN_Jurhta.png
    She's the equivalent to the Cobra on the human side - Slower, but with more close-in firepower.
    Here's a flipbook of the updates!
    flipup01.png
    And some static images of the ship...
    HFupdate01.png
    HFupdate02.png
    HFupdate03.png
    Besides the Jurhta, I've also finished the Straltha, Dferhtas, and Kherhti... All of which look equally awesome in their new textures.
    LFupdate01.png
    LFupdate02.png
    Ahupdate01.png
    Ahupdate02.png
    Any thoughts? Anything I've overlooked?
    Enjoy!
    My God... that is ...PERFECT. I know I have said it before but I must reiterate. You have now garnered my highest level of praise- you are a genius when it comes to this stuff- pure and simple.
    Thanks, Road Warrior. I really do appreciate it. :)
    Here's another comparison...the Dferhtas...
    flipup02.png
    MFupdate03.png
    Slooowly getting there.
    Those are looking awesome mate, keep up the good work.
    Thanks! Refined the Dferhtas Cockpit more...added caustics and some more flickering lights.
    Acockpit05.gif
    And a APNG link, for those desiring of full colors... http://www.hedfiles.net/Acockpit05.png
    Next thing I'll be working on will be most likely laying out the multiplayer ship selection screens. I think the Human on will be fairly easy, so I'll focus on the Alien one first.
    Thoughts?
  • Badi_DeaBadi_Dea0 Posts: 0Member
    Very beautiful work Howard!

The caustics really make the cockpit :thumb:
    I am curious, will you be adding the alien arms touching the little control fibers, like Comco suggested? akin to how you see the human pilots legs.
    I would love to see what your aliens look like :)
    Badi_Dea: Thanks! Yes, those will be added for certain - much like the human cockpits will get hands on joysticks and throttles. what they're doing to those control strands...won't be nearly as recognizable. :D
    And here's a couple of goodies for you guys... Concept art by one of my co-workers, Kelly O'Donnell, for one of the Alien Craboctoshrimp.
    alien_howie3.png
    And some in-game footage from the latest build!
    gamevideo01.gif
    Any thoughts?
    ENJOY!
    Woo hoo! Everything is great. And I must say that the craboctoshrim is fantastic as well.:)
    Thanks, Road Warrior!
    Here's an update on the cockpit!
    hudupdate06.gif
    Thoughts?
    gamevideo01.gif
    Any thoughts?
    ENJOY!

So far very good.

Okay... I hope that the depris don't fly through the cockpit later. ;)
    And there is a black circle for a second behind the second explosion.

Thanks, Road Warrior!
    Here's an update on the cockpit!
    hudupdate06.gif
    Thoughts?

Very nice progress. :thumb:
    Great update Howard.
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    Maybe the walls of the alien cockpit should pulse from back to front everytime the pilot fires the guns? The light animations in the cockpit don't seem to look natural enough. Maybe the light could look more like glowy fluid moving from back to front inside of those wires and stuff. It would make the player focus on the center of the screen better. The animations could speed up and change color depending on how much damage the ship has taken.

The bullets seem to hit the targets too easily like the hit boxes are too big but you probably have them big for testing purposes.

The crab guy, well he needs more eyes and a mean face. Nobody wants to shoot a cute alien enemy hehe:-)
    Nice work, all these updates are top notch, keep up the great work.

Loving the floaty HUD elements.
    Crix Dorious: Yeah the debris and explosions floating through the cockpit, and the explosion alpha sorting are our first things on the "To Fix" list. :D I'm very glad you like how it looks besides that, though!
    Road Warrior: Thanks!
    Tochiro76: Yeah, we've already got plans in place to have the cockpit pulse with energy when the guns fire - it's just a matter of getting the guns firing properly, and making sure all the overlays are in place. Also, currently the lights are very jerkily animating in the real-time cockpit...because the direction-based vector fading isn't hooked up yet. Again, definitely on the list of things to add. :D The Hit boxes are very WIP, to be sure, and the Craptopuss is definitely going to look more sinister. Get the right light on these guys, and the look like the worst seafood dinner you've ever had.

Here's an update... the cockpit was determined to be too cramped, when in actual gameplay, so we widened it up!
    hudupdate08.gif
    Thoughts?
    Enjoy!
  • Badi_DeaBadi_Dea0 Posts: 0Member
    I agree, the cockpit was a little cramped before. But now, it almost seems that its nothing more than a HUD with a whole bunch of distracting particles flying around the edges, it feels like a lot of the detail was lost, especially in the lower eighth of picture and along each side. I would imagine that when you get around to adding the Craptopuss (love it) limbs, it would help the missing detail.
    Perhaps slowing down the crill, making it look more suspended would help.
    I am anxiously awaiting more :-D
    I cant believe your dedication to this project, you have consistently produced higher quality work than most big studios with multimillion dollar budgets and teams of artists. bravo sir!
    hudupdate08.gif
    Thoughts?
    Enjoy!

Hmmm.... too wide for my taste. The last update was right like it was.
    Badi_Dea: Yes, a great deal of detail was lost in the last update - I had forgotten to add a missing texture, and almost all of the texture detail was lost. It's back now, though! I also bought the edges of the cockpit a bit more back to the center.
    hudupdate09.gif
    Also, I've started working on the alien ship selection screen - here's a sneak peek...
    grotto03.png
    Still a looooong way to go. :D
    As demonstrated here, it's come a long way. :D Still have some polishing touches to add - I think the lower right chasm could use some sort of connector bridge, but other than that... I like.
    grotto04.png
    Thoughts?