Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOvermind's meshes of meshiness

• thorGTthorGT0 Posts: 0Member
    Melak:

where's the 4d glasses you always wear? :flippy:
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    Guess who?
    THC001.jpg
  • Kalic-VadekKalic-Vadek0 Posts: 0Member
    Tiidian Carrier... I think been a while since I played.
    Taiidan Heavy cruiser with added hangar support.
  • Kalic-VadekKalic-Vadek0 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, Well your making an very Economic Cruiser then.
    Children of Hiigara, you are Beaten...
    This Sector is now under my control...
    Stand down and prepare for Vaygr occupation...
    I have come to claim what is mine...
    Return the second core, and I will spare your homeworld...
    V_FS_001.jpg

I've been known to not finish my projects, and this will probably be no exeption, since this ship will be 6 miles to scale! Not accurate to the 1.6 mile scale it should have in the game, but it's a mothership. It needs to sustain an entire fleet of battlecruisers and fighters.
    Greebles!!!
    V_FS_002.jpg
    And here is one of the turrets to scale with an average human, the human reference being the green block.
    Battery001.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice. Amazing how small they are.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Nice. Amazing how small they are.

It's very understated in its scale, isn't it :lol:
    Not much, but there's more. Notice the scattered greebles on the hull.
    V_FS003.jpg

EDIT: Wrong image! >_<
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    It looks like a good balance between the small details and flat panelling. Never an easy thing to do when building something this size.
    Was not happy with the monster ship I started with, so I went back to 2.6 km. I also wasn't happy with the base mesh, so I started that over.
    V_FS_001-1.jpg
    V_FS_002-1.jpg
    Another thing, I won't be posting for a while after the 20th has passed. Vacation reasons. If I'm lucky, I might be able to get my PC to fit in with the luggage (road trip!)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Let there be light!
    Bentusi01.jpg
    Attenuated omni lights multiplied to blinding levels with mental ray shadow maps to boot.

That could be a great impulse deck for an even larger vessel.
  • Sukhoi_FlagonSukhoi_Flagon0 Posts: 0Member
    looking great, always loved the homeworld ships! 2.6km is still pretty huge, considering the logistics of just a traditional carrier, and they arent any bigger than 300m and they are pretty phenomenally big! :)
    Publisur:
    First off, don't bump my thread even though I enjoy the publicity.
    Second, What on earth do you mean by impulse deck?

Sukhoi_Flagon:
    Traditional aircraft carriers held pre-manufactured aircraft, crew, and pilots. A Vaygr flagship on the other hand has to be able to build its fleet on the go. Therefore it has the room for manufacturing facilities (those yellow pimples people call subsystems are manufacturing control centers) which are used to build its support fighters, its frigates, and even a fully powered carrier. Not only that, it also needs to process the RUs brought in by resource collectors. And don't get me started about engine blocks and fuel consumption.
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Some of my all time favorite ships, from one of my all time favorite game/game series. Great work Lord Overmind.
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Figured you'd might like to know about this.
    Which has this,
    This,
    This,
    Aaaaaaand this.
    The Bentusi ship is coming along great, any chance we'll see more of it any time soon?

I'd also like to see your take on the MBF from HW1, please? :puppy-dog_eyes:
    The Bentusi ship I am putting on hold. I got hooked on the vaygr Flagship, so there will probably be some Bentusi time or maybe Kadeshi time afterwards, but for now, here's this. Sorry if the ambient occlusion is too intense:
    V_FS_Ion.jpg
    The feature is actually a trinity laser cannon emplacement like on the Vaygr Battlecruiser.
    If you look closely, you can see textures! :shiner:

EDIT:
    Speaking of lasers...
    V_FS_Ion_Funny.jpg
    Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire.' and 'I need to reload.'

(speaking of SF series that need more love)

How did you do the laser beams?
    It was just a quick photoshop edit.
    More greebles, a few shader updates, lighting, and animated lens flares for the navlights:
    V_FS_general001.jpg
    Dang man, that's BIG.
    Just 2.6 km in length. If you want to see BIG, let me take a whack at the Agamemnon! (Concept vaygr ship said to be over 9.5 km in length)
    You can see the ship in derelict form in HW2, mission 8, where you aquire the dreadnought and put up with those monsterous keepers.
    I have the original concept art here if you wanna see:
    http://images.wikia.com/homeworld/images/b/b9/Concept_flagship07.jpg
  • triple111triple1110 Posts: 0Member
    I'm soo glad I found this thread. Great work Lordy.

I like the lighting on the laser bays in the pic above, but the navlights leave something to be desired. Anyway, can't wait to see this thing textured and paneled!

And my vote goes for the Kushan Assault Frigate from HW1, although seeing the beast mothership from cataclysm would be awesome (but difficult)
    The beast parts could be simple turbosmoothed blobs slapped onto the ship with noise modifiers stuck in some torn up hull plating, but that's just me thinking. I honestly thought the Kushan assault frigate was a bit chunky, but it's alright. I can understand the navlights being too bright, so I toned the radius down a bit. Here's some progress:
    V_FS_Plate001.jpg
    V_FS_Greeble001.jpg
    I figured the main hull could use a low terrace, so I drew a spline using the texture from the original model as a guide. I then used a plugin called Glue to conform the spline to the mesh. (Call me a lazy cheat if you must) I also did some greeble work in the recesses I made in the hull.

EDIT: Pardon the tessellated texture. Also, Welcome to the thread, triple111
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Good looking stuff man, kudos on keeping the Homeworld stuff alive.
    Are you going to do something similar on some to the other parts? Like that piece with the nav lights.
    What are you referring to?
  • triple111triple1110 Posts: 0Member
    Good work on the terraced part. Are you going to do paneling on the main hull later or will that be done in the form of a texture? Its very time consuming but looks awesome.

Is the hull on the top part supposed to be rounded? Seems odd when everything else is so angular.
    The hull will have a mix of actual mesh panels and texture. I conjured up a tileable texture complete with shaders, and are using that to texture the mesh.

The top port/starboard is rounded, but now that I think of it, I should try with a chamfer instead of a filet form.
    Done!

Here's the original with a fileted edge:
    V_FS_Filet.jpg
    Here's with the new chamfer, which I might keep:
    V_FS_Chamfer.jpg
    Also notice the new depressions in the hull. I figured I could add a mass of greeble and window in those recesses.