Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationChris2005's Stuff

• killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    Something I thought I'd mention, when I do phasers I like to have the target dummy start at the phaser strip and move to the target over 3 or 4 frames, makes the beam shoot out to strike the target like a lightning bolt instead of it simply appearing already fixed on the target.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    killakanz wrote: »
    Something I thought I'd mention, when I do phasers I like to have the target dummy start at the phaser strip and move to the target over 3 or 4 frames, makes the beam shoot out to strike the target like a lightning bolt instead of it simply appearing already fixed on the target.

Yea, I sometimes accomplish something similar using a material, like a gradient ramp in the opacity slot... or just simply do it using masks in AE...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Phasers should have a max. effective range of 300 000 km.
    This implies that they should be able to reach this distance in a small time frame (1 second tops - at least when the ship is moving at impulse speeds).
    On distances that we see most of the time in the shows, they should appear instantaneously at the target point.

Regarding my action shots... go to the gallery and find my username under Top Posters... you should be able to find a couple of images with Phaser shots.
    Though granted, back then I used FinalFlares to achieve the effect in question because Max's native glow effects do NOT scale in the distance (a feature they hadn't fixed since the early versions... why is that?).
    I think this could be bypassed through a different method though.
    Before I used FinalFlares, I wrote a tutorial on how to use one of the video post effects (not flare, but another effect similar to glow) to achieve a scaling effect (though, honestly, I misplaced the tutorial since then).

Hm... alternatively, Why not experiment with textures instead.
    For example... using the fallof texture on a thicker phaser line which would have a black (and transparent) edge and and orange/red color.
    You could also create a second thinner line which would have a black/white noise texture (also transparent).
    So basically, 1 thin inner line and the second thicker line.
    Dunno how good it might look, but you could try I suppose if interested.

Final option would probably be to use a volumetric point light (where you have a much tighter control over your fallofs and all - though again, render times could be a bit of a problem with this if proper settings aren't used).
    Deks wrote: »
    Phasers should have a max. effective range of 300 000 km.
    This implies that they should be able to reach this distance in a small time frame (1 second tops - at least when the ship is moving at impulse speeds).
    On distances that we see most of the time in the shows, they should appear instantaneously at the target point.

Regarding my action shots... go to the gallery and find my username under Top Posters... you should be able to find a couple of images with Phaser shots.
    Though granted, back then I used FinalFlares to achieve the effect in question because Max's native glow effects do NOT scale in the distance (a feature they hadn't fixed since the early versions... why is that?).
    I think this could be bypassed through a different method though.
    Before I used FinalFlares, I wrote a tutorial on how to use one of the video post effects (not flare, but another effect similar to glow) to achieve a scaling effect (though, honestly, I misplaced the tutorial since then).

Hm... alternatively, Why not experiment with textures instead.
    For example... using the fallof texture on a thicker phaser line which would have a black (and transparent) edge and and orange/red color.
    You could also create a second thinner line which would have a black/white noise texture (also transparent).
    So basically, 1 thin inner line and the second thicker line.
    Dunno how good it might look, but you could try I suppose if interested.

Final option would probably be to use a volumetric point light (where you have a much tighter control over your fallofs and all - though again, render times could be a bit of a problem with this if proper settings aren't used).

Yea, never did like Max stock flares...

Well, the tutorial video is coming soon... I thought I was gonna help mow earlier, but my dad decided to wait until now, to tell me, we're going to do it now... :/

Yea, I usually will make the phaser beam a solid color, and accomplish the gaseous effects using glows...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

Still need to add the runabouts, and the plasma leak form the port nacelle... and this shot is done... my big challenge will come with the Bug impact with the secondary hull...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Deks wrote: »
    When I mentioned the phaser beam effect... it somehow looks way too sharp.
    A softer look with a fallof on the ends would be better.

Question... Which procedure did you use to make the phasers follow the bug ships and extend with the range, and what are the beams made of?
    Glow effects on a thin 'tube' or something else?

I was looking for some tutorials on that but could never find the proper technique for MAx.

Here is the little video I made, showing how to do phasers with this technique...

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78195-Make-a-phaser-beam-using-Linked-Xform&p=536540
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Oi....I remember that ship build.
    EBOLII wrote: »
    Oi....I remember that ship build.

haha, well, I would hope, it is yours. :p
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    Sweet! one of your best yet :thumb:
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    nice shot Chris.. are those runabouts going to pay for being so brave???
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking great so far, Chris. :)
    markmassey wrote: »

They got their butts kicked a bit in the episode, but they're all piloted by main characters, so it wasn't as bad as it could be. ;)
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Looks very nice so far, only nitpick would be that the runabout's phasers appear slow
    killakanz wrote: »
    Sweet! one of your best yet :thumb:

Thanks.
    markmassey wrote: »

Well, the Odyssey will still get destroyed...
    That's looking great so far, Chris. :)

They got their butts kicked a bit in the episode, but they're all piloted by main characters, so it wasn't as bad as it could be. ;)

Thanks. haha.
    Melak wrote: »
    Looks very nice so far, only nitpick would be that the runabout's phasers appear slow

Thanks.

Phaser thing is an easy fix... however, they appear in about the same time as the Odyssey's phaser, in terms of key frames... perhaps, because for the runabouts I used the AE beam effect, rather than a rendered out of max element...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

I'm probably gonna have to use another Romulan vessel than in the episode, since I can't seem to find the one that was used in the episode...

All the glows on both the Enterprise and the Romulan Warbird were done in AE using the Self Illum pass... I rendered out one pass for the each element, for the Enterprise, the bussards, the warp grills, the windows, and the impulse engine...

For the Warbird, the windows, and the warp grills...

I also added a slight glow to the stars layer... as well as some film grain in Premiere...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

Just a little more... :p
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Yeah, I've never seen a 3D mesh of the Romulan scout in the original configuration (the one used in that episode.) Too bad, I actually like it better than the later configuration.

That's looking great so far. I love the cloak, that's very well done. The Defector is an awesome episode. :)
    Yeah, I've never seen a 3D mesh of the Romulan scout in the original configuration (the one used in that episode.) Too bad, I actually like it better than the later configuration.

That's looking great so far. I love the cloak, that's very well done. The Defector is an awesome episode. :)

Yea, I got this scout from BC Files, called the 'Aeh'lla Class Romulan Scout' it's based off of the Valdore design lineage, late 24th/early 25th century, according to the Readme file...

Thanks, yea, trying to find an effect in AE to get the wavy look right was a pain... and it's still not perfect... as I used the ripple, if anyone knows of a different effect in AE for such an effect, let me know, thanks. :)

Yea, I love the episode myself.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    I love the end, where the Klingons decloak and the "oh crap" look on Tomalak's face. That's one of my top 10 moments in all of Star Trek.
    I love the end, where the Klingons decloak and the "oh crap" look on Tomalak's face. That's one of my top 10 moments in all of Star Trek.

You noticed that to? lol. Then he still goes on with the threats. XD
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

haha, gonna have to wait for the rest. :P
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    Looking sharp! :D
    Toa_Kaita wrote: »
    Looking sharp! :D

Thanks.

You see the film grain? Might have to watch it in 720p to see it best...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Looking good. On the first shot the scale between the D and the Warbird seems weird. Seems like the Warbird is below and in front of the Enterprise as opposed to slightly above and much larger (if I remember correctly). I don't really know what's going on in the second shot even though I know you are recreating all the FX shots from TNG. Is the Warbird supposed to be leaving the scene? Seems weird that it starts from a stopped position and then begins to move away. Guess I would have to watch the episode to figure it out.
    japetus wrote: »
    Looking good. On the first shot the scale between the D and the Warbird seems weird. Seems like the Warbird is below and in front of the Enterprise as opposed to slightly above and much larger (if I remember correctly). I don't really know what's going on in the second shot even though I know you are recreating all the FX shots from TNG. Is the Warbird supposed to be leaving the scene? Seems weird that it starts from a stopped position and then begins to move away. Guess I would have to watch the episode to figure it out.

That's how it appears in the episode...

thedefector040.jpg

Yes, Picard is talking and warning the Warbird, and they reverse and cloak back towards Romulan space...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    I'm probably gonna have to use another Romulan vessel than in the episode, since I can't seem to find the one that was used in the episode...

ok its not te exact same but it is the later used version, years ago i stumbled upon the original version but idk where, hoe its not too late and hope it helps

http://www.3dgladiators.com/dloads/details.php?image_id=279
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
    batboy853 wrote: »
    ok its not te exact same but it is the later used version, years ago i stumbled upon the original version but idk where, hoe its not too late and hope it helps

http://www.3dgladiators.com/dloads/details.php?image_id=279

Yea I've tried registering there... but it never gets approved, really agitating...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

Using AE, did some work on the TNG warp flash, until I can create a nice digital replica... I suck at making good looking lens flares, even if it the tools include pre-created elements...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    In the TNG title credits, or any shot using this stock shot... are the little specks of white passing the ship, supposed to space dust, or what? Before I add a pass with those to the final shot of the "The Defector."

I said their would be no more preview shots for this project, but I have to know... here is the shot without the little stars, etc... what do you think?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Space dust...that's all they can be. Can't be stars because...well the answer is obvious.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.