Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Online Concept: Tahoe Class

TzarroTzarro331 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Of my several attempts to create various starships, I have yet to try my hand at one from Star Trek (AND I LOVE STAR TREK!), so finally I've decided to give it a go.

Instead of going for one of the more well-known vessels, such as any of the enterprises, miranda, akira, etc, I came across this concept a while back that was going to be used in the new Star Trek Online game. While it is certainly a departure from much of the traditional Trek designs, I think that John Eaves actually came up with a pretty unique look for this ship...and I actually like it! After searching through google and SFM, I have yet to come across anyone who has attempted this model, so unless I am mistaken, I believe I am the first!

I'm beginning work on her today, so thus far I don't have anything to show of my progress. Below is the concept I found for the ship, and it's pretty much all I have to go on. Input of any kind is always welcome!
84429.jpg
Post edited by Tzarro on
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4071 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    A very cool concept, I look forward to see how it turns out!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • metalsnakemetalsnake5 Posts: 0Member
    i saw this one a while also and can say that i havent seen a 3d model of it either so yeppers you would be the first another i like the look of is the USS MAWSON concept by john eaves another cool design imo might give it a try my self

pics below
    84430.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I still have this pic. Haven't seen the second one before. Was creating the first one but stopped.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    BTW I think that's the new Intrepid-class but I have to check.
    the first picture is i believe the concept of the intrepid class its got the same kind of style imo but both of them look very nice and i cant wait to see how the first one turns out

i'm hoping i'll be able to get a basic model of the seond image start at some point and take it from there :) good luck though Tzarro
  • TzarroTzarro331 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks metalsnake, and everyone else too! Got started on the model today; should have some WIP shots soon. And I would be very interested to see how your endeavor goes with that other ship metalsnake; good luck to you as well!
    I found a few STO concept ships that I'll start working on.

If someone wants to help, that would be welcomed.
    84439.jpg84440.jpg84441.jpg84442.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    ive seen people model the last 2 concepts
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Really like the 2nd and 3rd concepts...that first one, yeesh. Terrible IMO.
    Yea it is. I like the third and forth ones.
  • RekkertRekkert4071 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    I actually love the first ship, it looks really cool and futuristic, here are some more images from the designer's blog.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I actually love the first ship, it looks really cool and futuristic, here are some more images from the designer's blog.

It just doesn't feel right.
    The whole secondary/pylon area needs working.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    Nice nuggets great on the upcomming projects hope to see more soon thus far you've chosen intresting ships to build
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Looking forward to seeing your model:)
    Rekkert wrote: »

Nice, a belly view! Are there more pics of the other concepts (pre cryptic or not)? I have seen the ones John did and/or posted on his blog.
    In particular there was like a compilation chart with different concepts (I think even perpetual and cryptic concepts mixed) and class names. Never been able to find a large version of that.
    well i'm sure i speak for nuggets alike hehe but we do like to try some of the coolest things heck maybe we could have a nuggets convention and see what crazy ST ship designs we can do what do say Oldmangreg & Tzarro fancy it :) Let us see the screenies lmfao
    metalsnake wrote: »
    well i'm sure i speak for nuggets alike hehe but we do like to try some of the coolest things heck maybe we could have a nuggets convention and see what crazy ST ship designs we can do what do say Oldmangreg & Tzarro fancy it :) Let us see the screenies lmfao

Hey I'm down for it, once I figure out how to do the Excelsior secondary hull so I can finish my Renegade-B.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Hey I'm down for it, once I figure out how to do the Excelsior secondary hull so I can finish my Renegade-B.

This might help, a wire of japetus' WIP:
    engineering_wires.jpg
    Melak wrote: »
    This might help, a wire of japetus' WIP:
    engineering_wires.jpg

No not really.
  • thth0 Posts: 0Member
    I really like the first one too,The Excalibur, and the concepts sketches of it are great. It would be awesome to see one of those modeled, it demonstrate a nice design lineage from the galaxy class.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    No not really.

Pardon me good sir, but would you care to elaborate? :p
    Melak wrote: »
    Pardon me good sir, but would you care to elaborate? :p

Giving me a picture doesn't tell me how to do it. for a long time I have been trying to figure out how to cut that whole back section, where the cargo bay area.

EDIT: I'm also trying to figure out how to import pictures to use to shape my new ship. I've done it before but that was a long time ago.
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    Not sure on your experience level but this shouldn't be too hard.

Get some schematics and map them to planes in scene.

Make the shape outlined in red, mirror, attach and weld.
    Bevel-inwards the poly's at cargo bay area then extrude inwards.
    Assign smoothing groups to get the sharp edges and the smooth banded hull sections.
    Use ring/loop selections to connect edges on the hull and scale to give the extra curvature.
    Apply meshsmooth/nurms/sub-divisions and collapse at the desired level.
    Use loop selections to chamfer the hard edges on the hull.
    Boolean out the deflector area.

I thought Melaks images were really good but do these instructions help?
    84461.jpg
    I would be down with it as well metalsnake. Also, as for the progress of my model, I've almost got something worth showing.
    yeah i know the feeling i got my version of the mawson's sacer done then noticed a huge mistake so haveing to redo that before i post some renders

okies Added my first render of my take on the mawson design hope you all like it at the moment its only the saucer section minus the impulse engines

i plan to add the hanger into this section and make it so the saucer can seperate from the main hull though if it doesnt look right i'll be removing it still long way to go

C&C welcome
    84472.jpg
    Looking good so far! A bit different from the concept, but I think you did well to make it your own. On that note, I've got my first WIP shot for the Tahoe. I've been working on the nacelles primarily, and they aren't 100% done yet as far as model detail goes necessarily, but this is what I have:
    84483.jpg84484.jpg
    looking good dude nice start and yeah i'm trying to keep the style and shape as close as possible but panelling and that type of stuff i'm not fussed about is nice to make it your own rather than a copy imo
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Not bad ! You both are doing a good work. :)
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work on the nacelles and the top section this is a wonderful start hope to see more soon
    just a small update on the mawson wip
    i added nacelles but somehow not sure if they suit it

maybe the nacelles Tzarro is working on would be better

any chance i can borrow them Tzarro to check it out :)

anyway heres a render of the mawson saucer nacelles and the rear pod
    84488.jpg
    Your detail on the Nacelles is off.
    84490.jpg