Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP - Re-Atum Star Trek ship

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
This is a ship I made this month. More futuristic then anything, called Re-Atum (Egyptian sun god). This is the basic 2d design of the ship.

2dreatum.jpg
83150.jpg
Post edited by komaro on
Tagged:

• StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Will you to built her in 3d?
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Yes that's the idea. I always do a 2d design to get me a general idea of the ship shape, etc...
  • star_creationsstar_creations0 Posts: 0Member
    Humm, very interesting design....cant wait to see it in 3d...
    Update hull:
    atum1.jpg

atum2.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I can't quite tell what part I'm looking at yet, but I guess I'll just shut up and wait :p
  • vividevolutionvividevolution171 CA. USAPosts: 26Member
    Definitely has potential!
    Here is the saucer section in it's general shape:
    atum3.jpg

atum4.jpg
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Tricky geometry on this one, keep going! The concept sketch is intriguing...
    Yah, for the moment the geometry is holding...I am a bit afraid on what's gonna happen when i try to do more detailing on the saucer. And I don't have a clear perception on how the engines are gonna be integrated into the saucer yet. I have redone the saucer twice actually. My first version didn't follow the curve of the side drawing.
    Let you see a bit more. This is how the engine were draw and were suppose to be...I must say I am not please with the back part. It's way too odd.

atum5.jpg

atum6.jpg

atum7.jpg

atum8.jpg

atum9.jpg

atum10.jpg
    You get an A+ for originality... I'm speechless. Cant wait to see your next move!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    It reminds me a bit to the Concord-class.
    Well...I am gonna redo the engines. Although they look ok, I am afraid that I won't be able to do them in a sensible way. Very hard to manipulate, etc...I need something more straight forward in terms of 3d.

This is what I have done. I am gonna do this into another file just in case I change my mind again, but I think I prefer it that way:
    2dtop.jpg
    So that's what the support of the engines looks like. Not exactly like the drawing, because I had to make sure the engine would fit in there.

atum11.jpg
    atum12.jpg
    atum13.jpg
    looks nice.
    Now its getting interesting, good call!
    I had the day off today, so i made a couple of things and finished the global shape of the engines and their supports.
    I really like the result this time.

atum14.jpg
    atum15.jpg
    atum16.jpg
    atum17.jpg
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    I believe that she is taking shape . :)
    And we have a ball game! Interesting direction... I wonder if there's a way to make this ship taller?

What always bugged me about post-TNG ships is, that they all lost their tall profile... now they're all squashed and designed as though drawn in two dimensions, from the top view. The Sovereign and Voyager are a few examples.
    JWWright wrote: »
    What always bugged me about post-TNG ships is, that they all lost their tall profile... now they're all squashed and designed as though drawn in two dimensions, from the top view. The Sovereign and Voyager are a few examples.

True, but I think it's because there was no ship looking like that in the Star Trek universe before. So it follows a natural tendencies... It's gonna be that way for a while and then it will change for something else. I would guess at one point the ship would look organic, then military, etc...

In Star Wars the ship change with aliens cultures. In Star Trek, you have the same but the federation is multi-aliens+humans, so it's just normal that the ship would change and take influence. I would like to see influence of Klingon, Vulcans in Federation ship...like that one I tried once with a romulian/vulcan influence: http://membre.oricom.ca/komaro/3d_07.html
    I would like to redo that ship one day. I lost the file, sadly, because of a hard drive crash.
  • bobafettbobafett0 Posts: 0Member
    Very unique design...I like where you are going!
  • Admiral DanevAdmiral Danev171 Posts: 0Member
    WOW very interesting design, I really like it, cant wait to see it more detailed. I prefer the new style of Nacelle also
    Saucer section, panels and details...first level

atum18.jpg

atum19.jpg
    Everytime this is updated, I dig it more, when will we see the command decks?
    Later, because I have to take a look at the model in that area. Seems the tip of the nose has colliding polygons that don't want to smooth out. That bug me. Generally I will do the first level of panels from front to back. I have to do the hangar on the hull and think of a way of doing the command deck (Which isn't yet decided in my mind).
    Bottom saucer panels

atum20.jpg

atum21.jpg
    This is the command deck. It's basically a 2 floor deck with front windows. I decided against a top window, because it structurally breaks the model in that area...didn't find a solution. I am not sure I am going as far as modeling those decks, maybe one day...In terms of height, not sure it's in proportion, but I was tired of manipulating that area. It should be close tho...

atum22.jpg
  • vividevolutionvividevolution171 CA. USAPosts: 26Member
    Its honestly kewl to see something new looking to Trek!
    Very refreshing.
    wow, that's becoming one great ship!
    Top and bottom hull. Don't mind the polygon corruption. It's a rendering problem.

atum23.jpg
    atum24.jpg

atum25.jpg
    atum26.jpg