Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCch-306...

• japmejapme12 Posts: 0Member
    If this was the same size as the Daedalus, I would agree... I'll probably slim down the number a little, but you have to remember that this would a super-dreadnaught size vessel if it were to have appeared in the show, so yeah I went a little on the "heavy" side for the turrets, but then these are only single barrel mounts with a fairly slow rate of fire due to their size, so this way there is always one firing or ready to fire... kind of a derivative of the Gatling concept.

Have added manuevering thrusters... I'll try to get an image up latter tonight...

Does anyone have a good reference image of the Asgard Beam Weapon... I've pulled some images from google for placement, but can't find a good image of the actual weapon itself.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    its basicly a cylinder witha half sphere but the details on it havent really ever been shown so u gotta interpert them ur self like weather the half shpere rotates where the beam comes out of the sphere where there are piping exposed parts w/e on it is all up to you
    also id like to see a render of the deadalus and this ship together to se eits size sine u said this one is what 29 decks? and the deadys only 6-8
    Thanx, thats what I thought it was like... I'll see what I can do about a render...
    Ok here is the comparison chart. I used this as the base scale reference.

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/27438-Ship-Scaling-Sprites

So if the Daedy is 586 Meter long... than the 309 is roughly 1000 meters give or take a few...
    80053.jpg
    so the deady is 6 decks high that would make urs 6-9 from the looks of ur scaling not ur 29 decks uve said in ur previous posts.........
    Ok, after a long silence...

Got tired of waiting for the mesh to load, so went back and started cleaning... and rebuilding... and redesigning...

... and here is the result. A longer, leaner, and meaner 309

Basically I'm trying to get the design to come together more cleanly than the previous attempt... as well as get the Dreadnaught'ish/Carrier feel as well.
    81777.jpg
    1.jpg 163.7K
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Protip: Baby-blue doesn't make for a very lean & mean dreadnought ;)

Seriously though, very nice looking ship!
    Glad you like the new design...

With the blue, I figured as much, but this time I'm going to start from scratch with the shaders... and I won't even touch that until the ship is "done",
    Done some major structureal work and other tidbits.... more details later.
    82352.jpg82353.jpg
    b4.jpg 169.4K
    b3.jpg 22.5K
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Whoa.... nice...Love the cut out under the rear...not sure about the large Earth glyph on the top, what about putting the Ship's crest there?
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice!

I know it probably won't stay this way, but I do like the white paint job. It somehow makes it look more evolved (as in, human tech has come so far, that they even wrap their spaceships in a nice carriage).

:)
    much better then ur previous attempt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    nice and compact.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Very clean looking.
  • exodus2310exodus2310331 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, that is brilliant! Look the white - it makes it look so advanced.
    Dr Lee wrote: »
    Whoa.... nice...Love the cut out under the rear...not sure about the large Earth glyph on the top, what about putting the Ship's crest there?

"...We might as well paint a big bulls-eye on our hull!" :lol:

When it comes to markings, be subtle. Keep in mind that Earth hasn't exactly made a lot of friends lately, and if you go flaunting around a heavy cruiser/carrier with the latest and greatest in weapons and engines, and carry a big Earth crest, you're basically trying to get the message out "WE'RE OVER HERE!".

I wouldn't go for white as far as the color goes, but a blue-ish light gray ("Boeing Gray") would probably work well.
    also id like to see a render of the deadalus and this ship together to se eits size sine u said this one is what 29 decks? and the deadys only 6-8

You do know those internal dimensions make absolutely no sense?

If the Deadalus class is 225m long, 95 metres wide and 75m high, that would put her just alongside the Starfleet Constitution class. That ship has dozens of decks, and if you do the math, a single deck being at most 5m (optimistic estimate), you would be able to get at least double the deck count in the Deadalus than there is on spec now.

Your heavy carrier is over a kilometre long and proportionally bigger. That would mean it could accomodate at least 5 times the deck count (coming to 70 decks), and dwarfing even a Sovereign class heavy cruiser. It would only be outsized by something like an Imperial Star Destroyer or Alliance Cruiser.
    and u releize from the placement of the windows it shows that its only 5-6 decks and on top of that the crew compliment is only 250-300 so 70 decks is a tad over kill and startrek comparission is unrealistic and i always foudn that startrek windowplacement was unrelisticly over killed
  • Daemon FortuneDaemon Fortune0 Posts: 0Member
    Way to go, japme. Like the work you've done so far. Can't wait to see the finished work. Don't let the detractors get in the way of your work. Exacting dimensions aside, she has a sound design concept and purpose, and would be a crowned jewel in any fleet she flew in. I want to be able to produce work like yours. Got a long way to go but you and others have given me a purpose to take my hobby and pour more effort into it. Keep up the good work.
  • MihoshiMihoshi0 Posts: 0Member
    I like it. Looks more finished and somewhat more thought-out than the previous incarnations. Does it still have the huge fixed forward ****off cannons that the previous ones had?

As for color, frankly, white/grey looks nice. The biggest obstacle to giving a spaceship a paintjob is simply money. Better to just leave it bare metal/stealth coating/whatever. A warship doesn't get a coat of paint to look pretty.
    But in defense of the white/grey, visibility in the Stargateverse is the least thing to worry about. If they can see you, they've most asuredly already found you in a dozen other ways...
    colbmista wrote: »
    and u releize from the placement of the windows it shows that its only 5-6 decks and on top of that the crew compliment is only 250-300 so 70 decks is a tad over kill and startrek comparission is unrealistic and i always foudn that startrek windowplacement was unrelisticly over killed

Don't forget that the window placement on exterior models wasn't really done to the ship's specs. Especially when you look at TNG, the Galaxy class was just cluttered with windows because they looked cool.

With a crew complement of 250-300, 70 decks IS overkill. Which means, the ship is too big, or running on skeleton crew only, since you could easily fit twice the amount of people on the ship and still have enough room left for a lot of supporting structures, engines, weapons and the like.

I calculated the 5m deck height from a simple human standing height and ceiling (averaging 3m), with a 2m gap separating the decks which could accomodate for infrastructure and service ducts. A normal building floor is between 3 and 4 metres.
  • DougxDougx172 Posts: 3Member
    Looking real good every revision is looking better and better !Now get in there and model those individual hull panels :p
    I'm BAACCKKK!!!

Sorry about the long silence, but haven't had a lot of time to post updates...

Got a lot of the scaling issues fixed and now it is starting to approach that dreadnaught scale I was aiming for...

I'll try to get some prespective shots up later during the next week or so.

All that is really left is to re-adjust the weaponry, and get the textures and hangars done...
    83077.jpg83078.jpg83079.jpg
    i wanna see the scale comparted to the deadalus with this one and remeber the deadys only 5-6 decks
    Here it is in comparison to a Daedalus. I used a "F-302" as my source of scale based on the size it would have to be to use the THANATOS's hangar "runway", and then scaled the Daedalus to that size...

AND THE RESULT IS THAT THIS IS DEFINITELY A DREADNAUGHT SIZE VESSEL.

The 302's proportions come from this site: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=14976

The 304's from here: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=4110

NOW FOR MY If their model is 200 mm long, and the actual Daedalus is around 601 m by 356 m, then that is a scale of 1:2930, so I set the Daedalus' length at 200 "units" and width at 121 "units".

The 302 is actually 26 m from wingtip-to-wingtip by 14.26 m, so doing the conversion, that comes out to 8.87 "units" wide and 4.86 "units" nose-to-tail.

Which after some estimating puts the THANATOS at about 3305 m x 1561 m.
    83092.jpg83093.jpg
    impressive and much better scaling
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice and with that comparison with the daedalus class you could fit it in one of the hangars ^^
    was just thinking the same thing when looking at those pics heh. could have a daedalus in each one!
    It rises... AGAIN!!!

I have been doing some major reworking of the ship to make cleaner, leaner, and hopefully meaner...

Changes:
    1. redid the "nose"... giving the ship the appearanvce of a Cobra from certain angles...
    2. redid the underside and powersource
    3. redid the bridge and tailend of the ship and the engine layout... the Bridge may become a cross of this and to an extent the previous version...

More to come...
    84315.jpg84316.jpg
    that bridge section would be cool for a sperate ship like have it so that peice can come apart from the rest of the ship