Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRapier-class Ship (Trek)

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I've pretty much finalized the entire interior as far as habitable spaces go. I've labeled everything for your viewing pleasure and also if anyone has any suggestions for improvements or changes I'm open...a little. ;) It looks like I'll be able to maintain a standard crew of 14 and I didn't have to deviate from my original plans too terribly much so I'm happy with where there this sits so far. My next goal is to place windows in all of the crew quarters, bridge and conference room. Then after that I'll be moving on to the RCS thrusters, impulse engines and deflector.

rapierv5_wip027a.jpg
    rapierv5_wip026a.jpg
    rapierv5_wip025a.jpg
    108578.jpg108579.jpg108580.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    I find it odd that the XO seems to have more personal space than the captain does. All looks good, though.
    I think it might just be the way the walls angle in that make it look like the captain is getting short changed on space. I'll double check, though. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    hm... such a small ship likely only has very little fuel (matter and antimatter, and i see no place for the tanks!), so it's always near a port, so I doubt it needs a holodeck at all. Also, do the shared-rooms ahve bunk beds? Because it'll be a very crammed room for any crew, with that little quarters.
    The majority of the tankage will be above the crew quarters. There's quite a bit of room where the hull curves down from the spine to the saucer rim. The quarters will have bunks and are approximately the same size as the ones on the Defiant. I've only gone through and modeled the habitable areas, but there is a lot of unutilized space remaining throughout the spaceframe. Also, this is a short mission duration ship so it should always be close to some sort of facility.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Alright about the tanks.
    But if it's always close to a port, it doesn't need a holodeck. ;)
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Alright about the tanks.
    But if it's always close to a port, it doesn't need a holodeck. ;)

Agreed - maybe a small holotank/suite?

Plus, unless I'm going blind there isn't any sign of a sickbay? Even short-duration missions would need some kind of medical bay for a crew this size -- even if it's just a couple of bio beds and basic equipment.

ETA: Yes, I'm in fact going blind, apparently... "med bay"... huh. Maybe swap that with the holodeck so you get a holotank and a larger, better equipped sickbay?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I think the holodeck is a reasonable addition even for a ship of this size, as a multi-function room, using the holographic capability for going over mission specific training simulations, etc.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    I think the holodeck is a reasonable addition even for a ship of this size, as a multi-function room, using the holographic capability for going over mission specific training simulations, etc.

Exactly my thoughts. I feel as though I've gone over this ad infinitum. :rolleyes: I understand the hesitancy for a holodeck on this ship. My purpose for continuing to include it here is because there are limited facilities aboard for which a holodeck is perfectly suited to augment. Holodecks don't need to be purely recreational. Heck, this class could be a testbed for using holodecks to meet operational requirements.
    Threw on the torpedo launcher and deflector dish; both from previous iterations of the ship. After some research I realized the torpedo launcher was too big so I scaled it down about 25%. My biggest accomplishment with this update, though, is the windows along the saucer rim. For some reason they were giving me hell, but I got past it and voila...here they are. :)
    rapierv5_wip028.jpg
    rapierv5_wip029.jpg

Yeah, I really don't know why I was having such issues getting these specific windows to work properly, but I'm glad I did.
    108620.jpg108621.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804593 Posts: 11,183Member
    It's looking good. :)
    Are those windows based on the size of similar windows on the Galaxy class? I have to wonder if smaller windows wouldn't be more appropriate for a ship of this size? I think compared to the size of the ship these windows are just going to look way too big. Those sort of windows are more like what you'd expect on a ship that affords you some concessions to luxury (like with a ship as large as the Galaxy), something that I'd think you'd find in short supply on a ship this small, which I'd expect to be a bit more utilitarian. The Defiant for example isn't covered in large windows. Just my two cents. Either way love seeing how this is developing.
    Eh, they weren't based on the Galaxy, but they came out a bit larger than I originally intended. As they sit now they're about 2.25m x .725m. The interior side is slightly shorter, but when I extruded the edges they tapered out and I liked the look. I left it without checking the size. Ah, well. I suppose I'll justify the larger windows to the fact that this isn't a warship and since there are so few windows on the entire ship why not afford a small bit of luxury to the crew. ;) In total I think there will be 15 windows. The remaining five will be on deck one: one large window at the front of the bridge, two small side view windows on the bridge, two in the conference room and two in the captain's quarters.

Honestly, though, I think I'll break my computer if I have to deal with those windows again. I don't know why, but they were probably one of the most difficult things I've done on this ship. Maybe it was because I was trying so hard to line up the interior rooms and make everything uniform concerning the hull thickness. Another reason could possibly be because of my lack of experience in modeling. :lol:

Here's the test dummy taking a peek outside.
    Untitled.png
    108623.png
    The Nova class had that type of window also. Though, I'm not sure if they were quite that big. To me, they don't look horrible on a small ship, they do emphasize its size, though. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Windows are great for giving people a sense of scale. One thing that makes it hard for the Defiant is that it has no windows, hatches or anything else that gives you a sense of scale.
    Except for those one in the bottom insides of the nacelle housing. Though they could just be random spotlights. :p
    The jury is still out as to whether those are windows. The placement is odd and doesn't match the deck plan, nor does the spacing.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Except for those one in the bottom insides of the nacelle housing. Though they could just be random spotlights. :p

I thought those were windows too, but with that thing's extremely variable scale, who can say?
    To be fair, the deck plans don't always match the deck plan. :p

I don't see how the could be windows, not unless the ship was a lot bigger.
    To be fair, the deck plans don't always match the deck plan. :p

Yes.

My favorite is the original MSD, which was clearly based on a concept drawing of the ship, not the final design. Fortunately, that only appeared in a few episodes before they fixed it.
    I don't see how the could be windows, not unless the ship was a lot bigger.

Yeah, that's the problem with those. I have no idea what they are, they seem to serve no real purpose other than confusing people.
    Hey, my deck plans will actually match the deck plan. :D

The Defiant is a freakin' scale monster unto its own as discussed so many times before. ;)
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    Hey, my deck plans will actually match the deck plan. :D

The advantage of building your own ships and not trying to do "canon" stuff. ;)
    I've gotten the windows laid out how I want them.

rapierv5_wip030.jpg
    108669.jpg
    Nice. I really like how you did the bridge windows. They do a great job of conveying the true size of the ship. :)
    Thanks! Once I get the exterior finished I'm looking forward to getting the bridge interior done now that I have a better idea of scale.
    Well, I opened up Max again and started tweaking the mesh before I move on. I removed the RCS from the nacelles so now I have a clean slate across the ship for new thrusters along with just cleaning up the geometry. Also trying to think of a better looking thruster setup than I had in the past that doesn't look so disproportionately large. After that, it'll be the impulse engines, phasers, tractor emitters and every other frakkin' thing.

rapierv5_wip031.jpg
    109327.jpg
    Looking good. It's nice to see that you're back at it. :)
    Looks good. For the RCS, maybe look at the space shuttles. It may blend into your hull a little better that way.
    Phasers have been redone and I'm really happy with how the arrays turned out. I ended up keeping a template of the emitter for later use. :) Once again the arrays on the saucer topside were a pain to mold to the contour of the hull. It turns out that every time I redo this thing the curves get funkier and funkier. Anyway...
    rapierv5_wip032.jpg
    rapierv5_wip033.jpg
    rapierv5_wip034.jpg
    109409.jpg109410.jpg109411.jpg
    Phaser arrays. Still not looking forward to having to do mine. You have to have them down well. Model is looking great.
    They look great, I like the details. :)