Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMithra Class (Bridge)

AeriesAeries1 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
So here's the bridge to my Mithra class starship; a ship I've been developing over the past year for Star Trek: Bridge Commander. I've come to the conclusion, however, that while the ship herself may never make it as a mod, I'm more likely to complete her as a highly-detailed CGI project instead. In light of this, I've begun developing the bridge and will likely soon be posting up the ship herself at some point or another...

So on with the bridge. Clearly I've gotten some inspirations from the "JJ-verse", as well as from the "Generations" galaxy bridge and Defiant bridge. The Mithra is an early-25th-century design, and so I tried to implement some streamlined elements into the bridge...

Enough with my rambling though. Have some pics:
75935.jpg
Post edited by Aeries on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    25th century, yes, that's where such things should belong.
    But I'm missing Conn and OPS. Or are they BEHIND the captains chair? Then where's Tactics?

Nice work though.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Cool!

By the way, hows your omega station coming? :)
  • AeriesAeries1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Aresius, and Melak!

@Melak: I haven't looked at the Omega Station in a little while... for whatever reason, I'm having trouble conceiving the primary shape... nothing really seems 'right' to me. Later on this upcoming month I'm going to get back on that one though; I have a few ideas for that sensor/comm arm. BUT, I haven't had too much time to work on both of these projects at once as I'm moving into a bigger place this week! [YAY!! :D] But rest assured that, no, I haven't forgotten about it! xD

@Aresius: Conn and Ops are actually at the fore of the bridge now, where they were on the Galaxy Class bridges. I've moved the consoles on either side of the viewscreen to the back as engineering and science stations, while the console just behind the captains' chair is intended as both primary and secondary tactical. I'm thinking of re-working the layout a little with the port and starboard walls, to allow additional room for inset consoles... I think I'm also going to reconstruct the pillars and translucent glass pannels... something seems really off with them and it's ticking me off. xP Hehe.

I'll throw up a render for you guys tonight when I have more time, so that I can demonstrate the changes and developments I've mentioned. [yay for posting at work!] it takes a freakin' 30 minutes to an hour to render just one of those shots... grawr. x_x [am not too pleased about that!]

Thanks for the compliments guys! :]
    -Aeries
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Actually it would fit in nicely with the JJ verse as a 23rd century ship. I dig it anyway, it's a very organic shape and it's nice and light.

Don't forget to place lights at head's height ;)
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Nice bridge here Aeries. I have faith that the Mithra will fly in BC though. ;)
    thanks guys. The renders, as I promised:
    68844.jpg68845.jpg
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Ooooo, blue *drools*
    Ah, now that looks better. :)

Good work. :thumb:
  • RekkertRekkert4070 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    I like it, and it looks much better with the Conn and Ops console.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    I've gone and re-worked the entire thing. All I've saved is the shape of the bridge and the captain's chair... that I'm gonna completely rebuild tomorrow.

It's pretty obvious what I've done. I'll just post the pics. Keep in mind that the second was rendered long after the first. The only changes noticable is the tactical console that was formerly the helm... I think it looks much better there as tactical. I'll make helm tomorrow. Also for tomorrow I'm going to make chairs for other consoles, make the last consoles for the walls at the aft of the bridge, and detail the ceiling more at the aft section. After all that [shouldn't really take long] I'll proceed with texturing.

Another note, too, is that this is my first time EVER TEXTURING ANYTHING!! IT's also my first time ever having done anything in 2d... I've made the LCARS in a combination of Max and Photoshop... it's supposed to be a mix of Sovereign First Contact LCARS and the USS Relativity's "TCARS".... lemme know whatcha think? :3 Oh, I've also made the carpet and cool voyager-style floor light... thing... the really shiny thing on the floor! xD Lol. Which, btw, is not quite as shiny anymore. xD

Anyways! Pics for yew boys....

**EDIT**

There is a texture in there that's only a placeholder for the moment, that being the bioneural net on the walls beside the two consoles just behind tactical. I say temporary because I didn't make that graphic and I have no idea where i originally got it from; it's been sitting here on my computer for what seems like forever now. If it's a problem please let me know. But like I said, it's just a place-holder. I'll be making a new set from scratch very soon... assuming I even keep those there and not redesign that area.
    71041.jpg71042.jpg
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    your bridge looks very, very nice! :D
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Hmm... I think I liked it more with the lighter tints around. Still, it's a nice bridge :)
    Hm, somehow, I liked the first version more.
    It was more unique...
    I decided to overhaul it because the old mesh was actually quite a mess... it's hard to describe really, it was just........ aweful. Lol. xD

After a CRAP TON of farting around [pardon the pun. xD] I've finally gotten the HUD overlay to kinda/sorta work. Now if only I could figure out if Photoshop has a symmetry modifier like 3ds Max, I might be able to add these other details to it that I've made... girr.

Edit: OH YEAH! I made new consoles for that area, too. xD Forgot to mention it above. :P
    71076.jpg
    Added more detail to the viewscreen HUD overlay and changed the colours to match most of the Lcars throughout the scene. Just a little more work and it'll be all done and I can move onto the two flanking screens. :]
    71080.jpg
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Sweet stuff!! Keep it up! More, please.
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm... did the headrests of those chairs come off? Better to take them off, crew are gonna get too comfy in those nice chairs and doze off lol especially if you turn down the ac a bit in there:-)

That bit on the main viewscreen would look better if it conformed more with the screen so it doesn't look too cluttered.
    That chair is only a placeholder for the moment. I need to make new chairs soon.

I'll get working on viewscreen details later on. It's been giving me a headache. On that note I've added the left and right screen basic LCARS HUD layouts. I'm thinking a tactical plot on the right side and a science/engineering overlay on the left? Maybe.

I've re-made the carpet and added an inset for helm & ops. I really like the inset, I think... It just seems to work. :] And before anyone mentions it, yes, I will work on those darn reflections in a bit. Lol. For now I need sleep...
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    Sweet stuff!! Keep it up! More, please.

Okay, here you go!
    71093.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    That's a great looking Bridge Aeries:thumb:
  • AltGoFuRAltGoFuR331 Posts: 0Member
    I love the wide front viewer/glass. I am not so sure about the floor light around the CO seat/center console step.

Great job. Keep it up. :D
    thanks guys!

Got working on the MSD... needs a proper font and gotta tweak the mapping a bit but it's coming along... Also still gotta tweak the reflectivity more. Darn raytrace reflectivity map thing is so darn... good? Lol.
    71262.jpg
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    looks good! :D
    Nice work. I suggest you pull these stations a bit up toward the MDS or prolong them that direction. Not much, maybe just a few more inches.
    Well, I decided the other day that I'd just rebuild the whole darn thing, but still keep the whole general layout. There were a lot of mesh issues and such that I couldn't simply fix, so here it is. I think I like it so far... much roomier than before. I saved some components of the old bridge [two consoles with their LCARS and the viewscreen HUD overlay, which fits nicer on the new viewscreen anyway.] I've also revised the colour scheme... I really like this new one better. This is still pretty early, but lemme know what you think! There's three pics, two for standard [green alert] and one at red alert. I have to fix up the ceiling lighting a little but I'm liking it so far... Constructive Criticism/Pointers please!! :D
    72605.jpg72606.jpg72607.jpg
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    HOLY (Self-Censored Expletive Laiden Tirade.)

I LOVE THIS SHIP'S BRIDGE. PERIOD. The standard for anything bigger than a Norway-Class, beginning 2389.

My only nit-pick is an (*Optional*) gullwing-style LCARS auxiliary over-ride console on the Captain's Chair.

One that stays pivoted in the "upright" position, & swings down flat across the Captain's lap or is embedded in the arm-rest somehow.
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great!

A few things though: certain objects like the bases of the chairs and the railing supports look super reflective, and it's causing some wierd artifacts (you can see it most on the base of the captain's chair in the first pic).

Second: The Captain's chair is kind of blobby at the moment, especially the backrest. It would look better with a more defined style, like the Enterprise-E:
    File:Sovereign class Captain's chair.jpg - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

Lastly, your floor is rather bland. The multiple levels and the Voyager-style lighting strips look good, but maybe you could try making the edges a different color, to break things up more visually. The Galaxy bridge is a good example:
    File:Galaxy class bridge.jpg - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

Hope that helps! :)
    Well I've reduced the reflectivity, built a new chair and added a captain's override console... whatca think?? [I'll be doing just that with the carpet once I get to texturing it, carlg! Thanks for the suggestion! :)]
    72610.jpg
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I've not seen this thread before. Not sure about the style choice of the seat. but the bridge looks great. It has some scope to it.. (for lack of a better word)

you can imagine a lot of things going on in the background, which you dont get with previous trek bridges.. if that makes sence probably not...

i guess what im saying is it looks like the nerve centre of a starship, not a room for the main cast to sit..

good work
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Great start on this Aeries. The lighting effects in this are really nice, and some of the images look quite close to a naturalistic lighting scheme as I have seen! However, there's a number of things wrong with your materials...

For one, a number of your panels seem to be reflecting the lights/luminous surfaces but not the actual model, which looks really weird. Also you need to do 2 things with your reflections.. Have a Fresnel/IOR value assigned to anything reflective (possibly doing a material mixer thing in Max, with a Fresnel curve blending the reflective/non reflective materials... And introduce Reflection blur/glossiness to the materials, as even the display screens wouldn't be mirror sharp (people put their hands on them all day long!) The 'metal' material especially needs some attention. It's difficult for me to advise you on how to do all that, given it's Max! :)

Great start on the model though!
    tobian wrote: »
    Great start on this Aeries. The lighting effects in this are really nice, and some of the images look quite close to a naturalistic lighting scheme as I have seen! However, there's a number of things wrong with your materials...

For one, a number of your panels seem to be reflecting the lights/luminous surfaces but not the actual model, which looks really weird. Also you need to do 2 things with your reflections.. Have a Fresnel/IOR value assigned to anything reflective (possibly doing a material mixer thing in Max, with a Fresnel curve blending the reflective/non reflective materials... And introduce Reflection blur/glossiness to the materials, as even the display screens wouldn't be mirror sharp (people put their hands on them all day long!) The 'metal' material especially needs some attention. It's difficult for me to advise you on how to do all that, given it's Max! :)

Great start on the model though!

Wow, thanks for all those pointers! You're absolutely right too, the reflections are really..... bad. It looks more like plastic than glass/metal. At the moment I have a standard material with, in the maps for this material, Raytrace applied in the Reflection slot set at a level of 4. I REALLY need a new material. xD Lol. Glass/Windows [at the back of the bridge for example] are the same thing, but with an additional Raytrace map applied to Refraction and set at 100, but that doesn't seem to do very much... as you said, only reflections of direct light seem to work. This is the same for the windows, only they'll only allow direct light to shine through as well.

Half of what you said didn't make much sense to me but I'm looking it all up for tutorials that I might be able to adapt to my current situation. Thanks a TON for all your help! :D