Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian assault frigate

• sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Alnair, there really isn't much to say that has not already been said...as this design is just fantastic...I really had to dig deep into my nitpicking skills to find anything near a crit for discussion and all I can see that (if it were me) I'd change would be some of the antenna arrays seem to be a bit low-tech looking in comparison to the rest of the vessel. But as is really takes nothing away from it at all, just a thought really.
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Alnair, there really isn't much to say that has not already been said...as this design is just fantastic...I really had to dig deep into my nitpicking skills to find anything near a crit for discussion and all I can see that (if it were me) I'd change would be some of the antenna arrays seem to be a bit low-tech looking in comparison to the rest of the vessel. But as is really takes nothing away from it at all, just a thought really.

The old warships from the WWI era were always my favourite ship designs. Their look between the old sailing ships and the more modern Dreadnoughts fascinated me from the time when I occupied myself with naval history. The frigate is my attempt to catch somewhat of that unique air and put it into a scifi design. Therefore the antique antennas. ;)
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    And it is not like the antique style antenna would not work. The laws of physics hasn't changed.
  • miclobmiclob0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic design, and I'm loving the discussion it's foster as well.

But, I'm curious as to how your frigate fits into the Navy. Given your interest in naval history, does this ship fit into the "heavy" end of the gun-line like the days of sail, or more of the one-hit-wonder (where it went) class of modern frigates? If this is the light end, I can't wait to see how you tackle the battle-cruisers.

Keep up the great work!
    miclob wrote: »

But, I'm curious as to how your frigate fits into the Navy. Given your interest in naval history, does this ship fit into the "heavy" end of the gun-line like the days of sail, or more of the one-hit-wonder (where it went) class of modern frigates? If this is the light end, I can't wait to see how you tackle the battle-cruisers.

Keep up the great work!

If I remember right the role of the classic frigate was taken over by todays cruisers. My ship is designed with a classic frigate's tasks in mind. It's a warship that is able to operate for a long time independently and carries enough firepower to overpower even strong oponents. It can sustain heavy damage during battle and has all the essential protective devices to keep its crew alive. The only class that surpasses the frigates are the true ships of the line. Whilst I'm working hard to finish the modeling part of this project (never thought that I would have to alter so many details ;)) I'm already collecting ideas for a Prussian battleship... (BTW the German imperial navy didn't call its battleships "battleships" instead they were labeled "Linienschiff" - "ship of the line")
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member

Keep up the great work!

5th rate, hehe
    New version of the RCS...
    69222.jpg
    bf17.jpg 263.9K
    Alnair wrote: »
    If I remember right the role of the classic frigate was taken over by todays cruisers. My ship is designed with a classic frigate's tasks in mind. It's a warship that is able to operate for a long time independently and carries enough firepower to overpower even strong oponents. It can sustain heavy damage during battle and has all the essential protective devices to keep its crew alive. The only class that surpasses the frigates are the true ships of the line.

Obligatory Atomic Rocket link:
    Atomic Rocket: Space War Warship Design
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    This ship is absolutely armed to the teeth! And now it looks like it can manoeuvre a bit better too. I really love this design you've come up with.:thumb:
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good. The only thing I can suggest is making some RCS thrusters to put on the ring to roll the ship.
  • pharoah01pharoah010 Posts: 0Member
    Damn good modeling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    salsa wrote: »
    Looks good. The only thing I can suggest is making some RCS thrusters to put on the ring to roll the ship.
    Just so I understand the lingo. You are saying (RCS) Reaction control system right. I ask because the other name for it is Reentry Control System but surely this beasty can't do atmospheric flight.
    atomicship wrote: »
    Just so I understand the lingo. You are saying (RCS) Reaction control system right. I ask because the other name for it is Reentry Control System but surely this beasty can't do atmospheric flight.

You are correct sir. Though having a plane this big would be awesome, impractical, but awesome.
  • miclobmiclob0 Posts: 0Member
    If I remember right the role of the classic frigate was taken over by todays cruisers. My ship is designed with a classic frigate's tasks in mind. It's a warship that is able to operate for a long time independently and carries enough firepower to overpower even strong oponents.

That was my guess by the looks of the weapons load-out. USS Constitution on space steriods; "have at 'ye, pirates and scoundrels". Nice to see the classic role of the frigate resurrected.

So, who's the bad guys? A Prussian contemporary, or perhaps a Greco/Roman federation? Centurions in space:D! I was curious if you'd even given it a thought. Your universe back-story of having all of history to model your culture after could be great fun.
    That was my guess by the looks of the weapons load-out. USS Constitution on space steriods; "have at 'ye, pirates and scoundrels". Nice to see the classic role of the frigate resurrected.

So, who's the bad guys? A Prussian contemporary, or perhaps a Greco/Roman federation? Centurions in space:D! I was curious if you'd even given it a thought. Your universe back-story of having all of history to model your culture after could be great fun.

At the moment I have only a rough sketch for the background story. I will see how the project (and the story) will grow. ;)

Updates: hangar bay for auxiliary crafts...
    69306.jpg69307.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow I just went through all the images and all I can say is that it's on fan-freakin'-tastic model ! :thumb: The details are just killer on that thing ! I'm just waiting to see more :D
    Oh and if I could suggest something then I would add some support beams to the hangar because it looks a bit too fragile ... but I'm sure you already have some ideas for that :p
    Wow I just went through all the images and all I can say is that it's on fan-freakin'-tastic model ! :thumb: The details are just killer on that thing ! I'm just waiting to see more :D
    Oh and if I could suggest something then I would add some support beams to the hangar because it looks a bit too fragile ... but I'm sure you already have some ideas for that :p

I just finished the bay doors and motion mechanics. Internal structure is still to come. ;)
    Oooo a place for more weapons! (Joking)

Very good looking doors IMHO
    Yeah, those doors are amazing! You could walk on them, they are so solid.
    nyrath wrote: »
    Yeah, those doors are amazing! You could walk on them, they are so solid.

Appearances are deceiving. ;) I have studied your website very closely. The bay door's material is multilayered with large spaces between the single layers according to the construction principles of a Whipple shield. The supporting structures between these layers are made in an ultra lightweight honeycomb construction build from carbon nanofibers. The whole construction is similar to todays airframe designs. Maximum stability combined with minimum mass. BTW I should mention a few layers of titanium for armouring as the innermost coat.
    Appearances are deceiving. ;) I have studied your website very closely. The bay door's material is multilayered with large spaces between the single layers according to the construction principles of a Whipple shield. The supporting structures between these layers are made in an ultra lightweight honeycomb construction build from carbon nanofibers. The whole construction is similar to todays airframe designs. Maximum stability combined with minimum mass. BTW I should mention a few layers of titanium for armouring as the innermost coat.

I love it!

(by "solid", I meant "it looks like a photo, not a 3D render")

You've been doing your homework, because you didn't get all that from my website. You researched elsewhere as well. I'm impressed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Absolutely fantastic ship design, I really REALLY like this!!

It's great to see designs like this, they always inspire me.

Thanks for sharing your work.
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic ship design, I really REALLY like this!!

It's great to see designs like this, they always inspire me.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks! Currently I'm working on the textures. Due to RL caused time limitations my progress is quite slow at the moment. Updates will follow as soon as possible. :)
    Update. I'm at the moment I'm creating the different shaders I will use for the ship...
    69908.jpg
    Oooh! Nice specularity!
  • AethernautAethernaut0 Posts: 0Member
    nyrath wrote: »
    Oooh! Nice specularity!
    I will most definitely second that! Looks great.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice design, very clean modeling.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Headered. :)
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Congrats on the header... The spec is looking good
    Tovette wrote: »
    Headered. :)

Thank you very much! I will do my best to justify the honor!