Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian assault frigate

• citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    I really like this design. Not to keen on the circular section, makes it look too much like a Vulcan ship though. The nose section looks a little like World War 2 bomber aircraft, or maybe early cold war submarines, makes it look very military.
    nyrath wrote: »
    Keeping in mind,of course that Rockets Are Not Arrows. All the vital parts of the ship need protection if any do. The nose of the ship does not deserve special protection since the nose is not necessarily pointing in the direction the ship is traveling.

I don't know, seems there is an argument for a heavily armoured nose section. Assuming your ship is a torch ship you can be accelerating straight ahead for days, weeks or months on end, and I'd have thought under such circumstances the most likely place you'll suffer hits from micrometeorites and interplanetary dust would be the nose. Plus assuming you're burning toward enemy space craft to join battle, the nose being armoured will expose only a strong target to the enemy while you're closing under constant thrust.

Also since a spacecraft can choose to show any aspect to an enemy, wouldn't having one aspect being very well defended mean you could keep a heavily protected aspect pointed at the enemy, while keeping overall mass ratios lower?
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    citizen wrote: »
    I don't know, seems there is an argument for a heavily armoured nose section. Assuming your ship is a torch ship you can be accelerating straight ahead for days, weeks or months on end, and I'd have thought under such circumstances the most likely place you'll suffer hits from micrometeorites and interplanetary dust would be the nose.
    Well, yes, but at the typical densities of micrometeorites encountered in the solar system, a whipple shield that was about as thick as aluminum foil should be all you need.
    Plus assuming you're burning toward enemy space craft to join battle, the nose being armoured will expose only a strong target to the enemy while you're closing under constant thrust.
    There are certain circumstances when you want to thrust at various angles to the enemy, in order to gain an advantageous position relative to them. Especially if there are more than one of them.
    Playing a 3D newtonian spacecraft simulation game such as Attack Vector: Tactical is a good way to get a feel for these things.
    Also since a spacecraft can choose to show any aspect to an enemy, wouldn't having one aspect being very well defended mean you could keep a heavily protected aspect pointed at the enemy, while keeping overall mass ratios lower?
    Yes, again assuming that you are not thrusting to maneuver and assuming that you have only one opponent. If either or both occurs, the crew will be cursing the ship designer.
    There are certain circumstances when you want to thrust at various angles to the enemy, in order to gain an advantageous position relative to them. Especially if there are more than one of them.
    Playing a 3D newtonian spacecraft simulation game such as Attack Vector: Tactical is a good way to get a feel for these things.
    Yes, again assuming that you are not thrusting to maneuver and assuming that you have only one opponent. If either or both occurs, the crew will be cursing the ship designer.
    Maybe, but I'd contend that these are issues of tactics that partly arise from ship design. If you have two ships with this sort of shadow shield like armour, then the tactics of manoeuvre to gain advantageous positions would be trying to get a shot at their "soft parts", while keeping as much of yours hidden, while they attempt the same, no? I mean I think it depends on the combat and universe paradigms.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Absolutely outstanding work! The attention to "realism" and "believability" in this design is stunning and done with engineering precision. Bravo!
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Very interesting discussion about space combat tactics! I see I have to give you some more background informations. The frigate isn't designed for a high relativistic speed. Therefore the nose section isn't extremly armoured. But it isnt' unprotected either! The prow of the ship has a reinforced framework and is covered with a multilayered whipple shield. I have to admit that the sensores and the laser cannon are a bit exposed. But that was an artistic decision to achieve a more interesting shape. It's my opinion that a believable space warship will rely more on heavy redundancy of its systems than on thick armour. The frigate follows that design principle. ;)
    Absolutely outstanding work! The attention to "realism" and "believability" in this design is stunning and done with engineering precision. Bravo!

Thank you! I will do my best to justify such high praise! :) The man who truly deserves the plaudit for that model is nyrath. Without his "atomic rocket page" I certainly would never have got my hands on so outstanding source material and essential informations!
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    You could make the reverse side of the laser ball and supporting arms shielded, that would protect the laser in the closed position, but will create bulk and possibly an unsightly gap unless that shielding isn't a visual detail but just declared to exist. But it would require making the laser optic shorter on the inside. In conclusion, it's great as is. :)
    Alnair wrote: »
    Thank you! I will do my best to justify such high praise! :) The man who truly deserves the plaudit for that model is nyrath. Without his "atomic rocket page" I certainly would never have got my hands on so outstanding source material and essential informations!

{blush}

thanks!

Your laser turret appears to be similar to the US Air Force's Airborne Laser project:
    Atomic Rocket: Space War: Weapons
    It is always shown as firing to the side. I guess if it was aimed forwards, it would accumulate smashed bugs all over the firing optics.

And of course if you want tactics...
    Atomic Rocket: Space War: Tactics
    In fact the laser dome is a copy of the Airborne Laser. ;)
    Yes, that just means that (unlike most other starship components) you are lucky enought to actually have a reference photo of the item to work from.
    Yes, that just means that (unlike most other starship components) you are lucky enought to actually have a reference photo of the item to work from.

It has to be said, the Airborne laser design is the most elegant and practical that I've seen for a laser turret concept. Better than the Rubbish bin on legs style anyway.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Looks pretty good :)

Make sure you get the Prussian eagle on it somewhere hehe
    Looks pretty good :)

Make sure you get the Prussian eagle on it somewhere hehe

Currently already in the pipline! :D
    And another thing: The reason I put the details of the Airborne Laser on my website was in the hope that somebody would actually use it in their spacecraft design. Instead of a rubbish bin on legs.

Indeed for citizens of the US, your taxpayer dollars help fund the development of that design, so it is only proper that you reap some of the benefits.

I'm just making it more easily accessible to starship designers through my website, that's all.
    Indeed for citizens of the US, your taxpayer dollars help fund the development of that design, so it is only proper that you reap some of the benefits.

So you're saying that taxes are useful for something :D
    So you're saying that taxes are useful for something :D

At least in providing me with extreme useful resources for my artwork! :D
    During the weekend I did some UV unfolding and I tested different basic colour schemes for the Prussian navy. I think I will stick to the light grey with a tint of yellow as basic colour for the hull. At the moment I'm plugging together the shader tree for the hull material.
    I also did the crest with the Prussian eagle. Therefor I simply used the classic emblem of the old Prussian flag. I still don't know whether the crest should be turned through 90 degree or not.
    68471.jpg
    bf12.jpg 164.2K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    nice are those point defense cannon I see?
    Yes.
    Very nice design Alnair ... and good choice for the colour scheme
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    a powerful emblem, for a powerful ship! very good!! :D
    Beautiful!
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    Yes.

Can we see them closer? heh

For the logo I dunno. It looks good, but also somehow retro, which I think sort of doesn't fit the ship. Hmm, well perhaps not retro, its hard to explain, but its as if something is missing, like a vertically aligned missile behind the eagle or maybe a more modern "roughed out" version of the eagle (ala command and conquer logos) or something to give it that little futuristic touch.

Totally loving this ship though.
    I do like the way, greebles and plating are set on the surface of the ship. it makes sense and doesn't look too random, like it usually does, when you use textured plating. can't wait to see this thing textured.
    I'm currently tinkering with the hull's anisotropic material and FG. The ring is textured with a very basic version of that material. It will still take me some time to get more familiar with mental ray...
    The retro look of the crest is intentional. I have tried a few alternativ versions but I think that one looks best.
    68555.jpg
    Nice shading!
    And nice point defense guns
    Time for an update!
    I have detailed the missile tubes. The tubes' caps didn't have a proper opening mechanism. In addition I designed a few combat drones the ship will be equipped with. The first picture shows the frigatte firing a salvo of five drones (2 kinetic ship killer drones, 1 fusionbomb carrier, 2 kinetic drone killers) - particle effects are still to come ;). The second pic is a close up of the electronic warfare ring showing a more advanced version of the hull shader which is still in development.
    69074.jpg69075.jpg
    Outstanding! I love it!
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    very nice work. The shaders are looking good, do you think we could get a closer shot of the drones?
    The drones vaguely remind me of the Night Dawn combat drones
    Combat Wasps in the Confederation Universe by Peter F Hamilton
    but only vaguely.