Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian assault frigate

• AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Nice emblem, much better than the plain first one.

However, you imply in one of your previous posts that the setting for this ship is NOT the Sol system--it's somewhere else.

So, why not customize the bird to be something alien, a "bird" from the homeworld of the ship's crew?

Give it two tails, a different head, or leathery wings or something.

I like this one, but something alien might reinforce the whole "they're not near Earth" idea.

Just thinkin' my endlessly-ignorable thinks! :thumb:

A good and comprehensible thought! But in the background story I have in mind all of the inhabitable worlds of that special solar system were heavilly terraformed. Birds like eagles are common on at least one of these worlds. I will resort to this idea... :)
    Syklon wrote: »
    Just a thought, but if you shifted the perspective of the hawk decal so it looks like its coming towards you (such that the leg away from you ends more forward than the other), that would probably make it look more aggressive, like so:
    BlackHawk1_Detail.gif

Yes, that's much better! Syklon, is that your own design? If so, I would like to use it for the nose art. It looks more agressive and fits better to the role of the ship. Maybe the color scheme should be adjusted a little bit. The red is a bit to flashy for my taste... :thumb:
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    It will look better with just white or yellow instead of the red but it's a good logo nontheless.
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    Alnair wrote: »
    I wouldn't call them "perfect"...
    Regarding the "Blue Dragon": I have checked my CD archives and to my own surprise I found my old Max files and the texture data!

woot! thats nice...

wait, i've checked the 3D-Gallery section - no pictures so far :(

the new eagle looks nice too. there could be color-variations for different squads/fleets.
  • Vlasta BartVlasta Bart0 Posts: 0Member
    Eagle, maybe not as big and just gray gray mix, lo wis?
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    I think this could be a missed opportunity to cover the entire ship in a giant eagle paint job.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, that's much better! Syklon, is that your own design?
    Nope, sorry, just got it off google image search to illustrate my point. Looks like its a logo for high school football team, here's the original site: HomeTown Television: BlackHawks LIVE TONIGHT
    Syklon wrote: »
    Nope, sorry, just got it off google image search to illustrate my point. Looks like its a logo for high school football team, here's the original site: HomeTown Television: BlackHawks LIVE TONIGHT

That doesn't matter. It's a good source of inspiration and I will draw my own. :)
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the red accent. :thumb:

A paint app can help those of you with red aversion syndrome. :p
    Elowan wrote: »
    I like the red accent. :thumb:

A paint app can help those of you with red aversion syndrome. :p

The red is a nice accent but the tone glares too much for my taste.
    Update... new nose art. I painted a totally different motif. BTW, the ship has now a name! I proudly present the "IMS Thetis"...
    75262.jpg
    bf59.jpg 169.9K
  • ParkerParker0 Posts: 0Member
    A Prussian ship and a Greek name / nose art.

I'm not sure if I like this decission. :-/
  • psycomanpsycoman0 Posts: 0Member
    @Parker
    A Prussian ship and a Greek name / nose art.

I'm not sure if I like this decission. :-/

These names were used in reality, so I think it is a good choice.
    SMS Thetis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Alnair
    Very nice noseart and great ship! I expected a young girl for the noseart, because of the name Thetis, but the greek hoplite is a very fitting motive, because you express military strength with it. I guess you were inspired by the prussian and imperial german navy ships, which were called Thetis.

Some questions:
    The eight crossed blades under the nose art, do they stand for won battles?
    Whatt is shown under the swords? Heads?

Will there be the name of the ship and maybe a number?
    What does IMS stand for? Prussian ships had SMS, as far as I know, for "Seine Majestat Schiff" so "His Majesty's ship", but I cannot figure out IMS. (Stupid me)
    psycoman wrote: »
    @Parker

These names were used in reality, so I think it is a good choice.
    SMS Thetis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Alnair
    Very nice noseart and great ship! I expected a young girl for the noseart, because of the name Thetis, but the greek hoplite is a very fitting motive, because you express military strength with it. I guess you were inspired by the prussian and imperial german navy ships, which were called Thetis.

Some questions:
    The eight crossed blades under the nose art, do they stand for won battles?
    Whatt is shown under the swords? Heads?

Will there be the name of the ship and maybe a number?
    What does IMS stand for? Prussian ships had SMS, as far as I know, for "Seine Majestat Schiff" so "His Majesty's ship", but I cannot figure out IMS. (Stupid me)

The young girl was my first idea but I decided to go with a more agressiv looking motif. The swords and skulls are only for testing the general appearance. I will choose battle marks for won battles as soon as I have finally made my mind up what fits best. Currently I'm developing a background story together with an excellent author. The "IMS" stands in that background for "Ihrer Majestaten Schiff" in English "Their majesties' ship". It's an acronym that covers all former and future Prussian monarchs and circumvents the permanent change of the German acronyms SMS and IMS when a queen follows a king and vice versa.
    And yes, the "Thetis" was named after the light cruiser of the Imperial High Seas Fleet.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great to me :thumb: I think the paintings go along pretty well because they all share one style. I can't wait to see what will you come up with next !
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    It's an acronym that covers all former and future Prussian monarchs and circumvents the permanent change of the German acronyms SMS and IMS when a queen follows a king and vice versa.

See, don't have that problem in English. His/Her Majesties Ship is always HMS.

The nose art is great! Keep it coming!
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Update... new nose art. I painted a totally different motif. BTW, the ship has now a name! I proudly present the "IMS Thetis"...

Dude..That is nothing short of frackin BaddAsssssssss!! Love it!!
    No problem! Give me just a few days.

:thumb: new theme is nice, :) but please look on the side view
    :thumb: new theme is nice, :) but please look on the side view

I will remember it! Currently I'm changing some of the smaller details. But I think that I can freeze the final shape in a view days and then I will render the orthos. :)
    Thanks, ok.
    Will there be the name of the ship and maybe a number? The nose art is interesting, WW2 era is return ?
    Thanks, ok.
    Will there be the name of the ship and maybe a number? The nose art is interesting, WW2 era is return ?

Name and number are planned. The era is more a blending between WW1 and WW2.
  • ChrisTOPherChrisTOPher0 Posts: 0Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    they had jump drives in the freelancer universe but they only work short distance so no leaving sol, was pretty sure it was FTL tho as you seemed to be able to cover huge distances

Huge distances mean nothing in Deep Space. no matter how far away it seems to us it holds nothing to the true size of the Universe.
    Even if we could develop a type of FTL drive it wouldn't really help us out as far as expanding into the Stars goes. not unless we could figure out how to go even faster then that.
    Light is the fastest thing in the Universe and on a Galactic scale it still seems to be moving pretty slow. so FTL is only logical as travel throughout local systems, and not Galactic Travel. for that you would need something exponentially fast and an energy source to match. even then it would still take years to get from one star to another using a method thats faster then FTL.
    sorry if that made no sense lol.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Light is the fastest thing in the Universe.

That we currently know of, I'll be the first to admit that anything can and will be proven wrong in time. We are limited by what our brains can interpret/develop etc etc and one day we'll properly find out that everything we currently know about astro physics etc etc is either slightly wrong is completely wrong etc etc. It'll take a few thousand years or less maybe ;)
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Here! here! Just think about quantum leaps and - string whatnots! :D
    That we currently know of, I'll be the first to admit that anything can and will be proven wrong in time. We are limited by what our brains can interpret/develop etc etc and one day we'll properly find out that everything we currently know about astro physics etc etc is either slightly wrong is completely wrong etc etc. It'll take a few thousand years or less maybe ;)
    The speed of light isn't like the sound barrier. Further there's something called the classical limit, where a new theory has to agree with the old where the old theory was confirmed by experiment. That's why 90% of the time Einstein and Newton agree.

It's possible that some new breakthrough will make FTL possible, but it's more likely that new breakthroughs will be even more restrictive...
    As I said before: it's sad but let us face the truth - FTL is pure magic at the moment. ;)
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    As I said before: it's sad but let us face the truth - FTL is pure magic at the moment.

Hm, this gives me an idea...
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    awesome work as usual Alnair, definately one of my favorite designs

@citizen, eh. The Einstein and Newton example is a good one to support your theory, but what of countless others where scientific knowledge has been proven completely wrong despite the fact that experiments and knowledge of the time has shown that the previous theory was accurate. The earth is flat and the sun rotates around the earth is just a few notable ones. Alnair is right FTL is pure magic at the moment but you never know.
    Berkut wrote: »
    @citizen, eh. The Einstein and Newton example is a good one to support your theory, but what of countless others where scientific knowledge has been proven completely wrong despite the fact that experiments and knowledge of the time has shown that the previous theory was accurate. The earth is flat and the sun rotates around the earth is just a few notable ones. Alnair is right FTL is pure magic at the moment but you never know.

I would challenge you to find such a thing. The Earth is flat was actually a non-scientific belief, and it was very early science like investigations that dispelled it. What orbits what was also a question that was solved before science, or what we call science, even existed. They're not cases where "scientific data" is shown to be faulty. The closest I could think of is maybe gravity, where the law of gravity was refined because of the inaccuracies of Newtons measurements compared to modern day equipment, but again thats a refinement, not a complete reversal.

It's possible that something new will escape from the future. It's possible to have FTL under Einstein given a few things (like some way out of causality), but it's also possible, and actually more likely that a new theory will take Relativity's place and be even more anti-FTL. But even if it does turn out to be possible, that doesn't mean it's achievable...
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work, dude. :)

deg