Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian assault frigate

• AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    i love that - everytime someone writes here "no, in my universe no FTL" that discussion comes up.

:D

Can't wait to see the other ship, Alnair.

btw, your plot sounds a bit similar to the storyline of "Nexus: the Jupiter incident" (Game)
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    i love that - everytime someone writes here "no, in my universe no FTL" that discussion comes up.

:D

Can't wait to see the other ship, Alnair.

btw, your plot sounds a bit similar to the storyline of "Nexus: the Jupiter incident" (Game)

That's quite funny! The idea for a possible background story came to my mind the moment I read the postings of sorceress21...
    But I think I will keep at my initial planning, so no FTL at all! After reading the novells of Alastair Reynolds ("The Prefect" only to mention one) I'm aware of the fact that an universe without FTL magic can be stunning and fascinating.
    The other ship is still in a very early design stage and needs some work to be
    presentable... ;)
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    By the way, if anyone wants to read some other good large fleet relativistic combat with jumpgate technology (to jump between star systems) look at Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet Series. Excellent work.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    they had jump drives in the freelancer universe but they only work short distance so no leaving sol, was pretty sure it was FTL tho as you seemed to be able to cover huge distances
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    nyrath wrote: »
    The possible loop-hole is to postulate a law of physics that enforce a no-paradox rule for time travel. There are actually four possible contenders, there are details at the first link.

Hasn't consistency protection been proven, at least mathematically? Makes sense to me, if you go back in time and try to stop Kennedy being assassinated, well your actions in the past to prevent it, have already happened; even if you've not traveled back in time yet, you've already arrived in the past. Since Kennedy was assassinated, we know whatever you did to try to prevent that, has already failed...
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    citizen wrote: »
    Hasn't consistency protection been proven, at least mathematically?
    Daniel Greenberger and Karl Svozil claim they have, but I'd like some peer-review first.
    No paradox for time travellers - physics-math - 18 June 2005 - New Scientist
    [quant-ph/0506027] Quantum Theory Looks at Time Travel
    nyrath wrote: »
    Daniel Greenberger and Karl Svozil claim they have, but I'd like some peer-review first.

Ah, ok, gotchya :).

One thing I like about QM is that you can make some pretty convincing Sci-fi explanations with a little less hand waving than is usually required. FTL drives that work by making the ship Quantum Tunnel to a new state a few thousand lightyears away seems a good handwave, plus it's a scientific sounding explanation for Douglas Adam's infinite probability driving :D.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Yay for infinite Probability Drive! :D
    Oh, erm of course it was the infinite improbability drive.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, erm of course it was the infinite improbability drive.

Yeah - the one fueled with impossibilium. :p
    Elowan wrote: »

*sigh*

You're getting Douglas Adams confused with Star Trek :p
  • MihoshiMihoshi0 Posts: 0Member
    Elowan wrote: »

Actually, it's fueled by a really hot cup of tea. Douglas Adams was WAY ahead of Star Trek in wonkyness. And funnier, too.
    Back to topic... ;). A first draft for the nose art...
    74994.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Eight ship-to-ship victories and five planetary bombardments?

Nice stuff!

Tho, the stooping eagle/falcon is a bit common. Not sure why it doesn't feel right, but it's just not gelling with the rest of the ship.

Still, just my non-mesh makin' humble opinion! :)

The ship is awesome! :thumb:
  • davidnevuedavidnevue0 Posts: 0Member
    god that ship is teh sexeh!
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    nice nose-art.
    your drawing-skills are still perfect.

... and again that "blue dragon" comes into my mind... :(

[german] mann, mach nen rebuild von dem Teil :thumb: [/german]
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    thats some cool nose art for the ship:thumb:
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Eight ship-to-ship victories and five planetary bombardments?

Nice stuff!

Tho, the stooping eagle/falcon is a bit common. Not sure why it doesn't feel right, but it's just not gelling with the rest of the ship.

Still, just my non-mesh makin' humble opinion! :)

The ship is awesome! :thumb:

I know that raptors are common motives for crests and all kind of nose-art. Soldier boys aren't the most imaginative people... just kidding ;)! The attacking eagle was a first try for a motive that could fit for the ship. I'm still thinking about alternatives. Any suggestions (besides naked women ;))?
    nice nose-art.
    your drawing-skills are still perfect.

... and again that "blue dragon" comes into my mind... :(

[german] mann, mach nen rebuild von dem Teil :thumb: [/german]

I wouldn't call them "perfect"...
    Regarding the "Blue Dragon": I have checked my CD archives and to my own surprise I found my old Max files and the texture data!
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    I admit I'm of the 'Suez Canal/Panama Canal' viewpoint for how FTL should affect a setting.
    Meaning that there are areas in space where you can 'skip/bypass' long travel times, such as between stars. Its just that outside of these limited areas (one reason I dearly love B5 and to a lesser degree the Honorverse), you're stuck at sublight and have to be dealing with Einstein & Sir Newton the rest of the time and make your way slowly through the 'ocean' just like a normal wet navy ship.

Frankly, any FTL that allows battles out in the middle of deep space, light-years/months (possibly light-decades in some regions) is a universe that's generally going to be boring or badly plotted out. Or a FTL that lets you use it right up to the proverbial doorstep of a planet (or right smack into its surface if you're not careful). Because if you can fight out in the middle of anywhere, then there really isn't a need for 'fleets'. Instead you should be using Atomic Rockets idea of relativistic rocks, if at FTL speeds, and dropping them on anyone else - end of war in the time it takes to get into FTL, make the trip, and exit so close they can't intercept. Boom. Anything less then that is going to be some really contrived reason for why it can't happen.

FTL that only can take place in limited regions, or even better, once you're in, you're in and nothing can see you/touch you/etc, is what I like.

Its also why I thought nBSG was a nice breath of fresh air to the genre (at least until the first 2 episodes of Season 3, then I refuse to talk about it). They actually came up with some very VERY good reasons why fleets were setup as they were - once an attack came it, it was going to be without warning, and likely under any defenses you have available, so any war where both sides knew about the other was going to end in MAD, or at least be incredibly bloody. And they showed it as much. That and it, in a way, made for a good reason why they used weapons as we would understand them now - why need lasers or super long range weaponry when you can pop into space a kilometer away from a target and unleash hell on it with a LOT of ballistic firepower?

To wrap up, Alnair's idea of combat at sub-light, especially slow sub-light that's at least attempting to obey physics, is what I like to see. FTL is a sideshow to get to the battlefields, but not the battlefield itself. Anything that does use it (unless it ends up much the same way as sublight - Honorverse comes the closest, but not quite) is not what I want to see. One reason I'm tired of Trek.
    Barricade wrote: »

To wrap up, Alnair's idea of combat at sub-light, especially slow sub-light that's at least attempting to obey physics, is what I like to see. FTL is a sideshow to get to the battlefields, but not the battlefield itself. Anything that does use it (unless it ends up much the same way as sublight - Honorverse comes the closest, but not quite) is not what I want to see. One reason I'm tired of Trek.

I will stick to RL physics even if that means that magical journeys across the galaxy and to exotic settings are impossible. In my eyes FTL can't compensate a poor plot. Or in other words: a good story will work even if it is restricted to one solar system. ;)
    I'd officially sell my first borne child for this mesh :)
    Alnair wrote: »
    I will stick to RL physics even if that means that magical journeys across the galaxy and to exotic settings are impossible. In my eyes FTL can't compensate a poor plot. Or in other words: a good story will work even if it is restricted to one solar system. ;)

I always thought the solar system was plenty big enough for any story you want to tell, it's just harder because you can't make up "Earth-like planet #134124" when-ever you want a new setting. That is, you have to remember continuity...

But still, as long as you don't mind most of your settings being in tin-cans, biodomes and space stations, the Solar system is massive, and much bigger than Earth itself, which seems to be a big enough arena for non-scifi writers...

Plus, what is un-exotic about the moons of Saturn, or the surface of Mars?
    I always thought the solar system was plenty big enough for any story you want to tell, it's just harder because you can't make up "Earth-like planet #134124" when-ever you want a new setting. That is, you have to remember continuity...

But still, as long as you don't mind most of your settings being in tin-cans, biodomes and space stations, the Solar system is massive, and much bigger than Earth itself, which seems to be a big enough arena for non-scifi writers...

Plus, what is un-exotic about the moons of Saturn, or the surface of Mars?

... and in addition: I never said the story would take place in our solar system. Any astrophysicist around here with an expert knowledge about binary stars?
    davidnevue wrote: »
    I'd officially sell my first borne child for this mesh :)

A generous offer... but frankly I have already two of my own. :)
    ... and in addition: I never said the story would take place in our solar system. Any astrophysicist around here with an expert knowledge about binary stars?

I'm not an astrophysicist, but I know some stuff about binary star systems, I may be able to help depending on what you need.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Just a thought, but if you shifted the perspective of the hawk decal so it looks like its coming towards you (such that the leg away from you ends more forward than the other), that would probably make it look more aggressive, like so:
    BlackHawk1_Detail.gif
    A generous offer... but frankly I have already two of my own. :)

hehe I'm more joking than not. I'd really just like to see your material setup for the plating. Either way, it's looking great. Been watching since it was first started :)
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Nice emblem, much better than the plain first one.

However, you imply in one of your previous posts that the setting for this ship is NOT the Sol system--it's somewhere else.

So, why not customize the bird to be something alien, a "bird" from the homeworld of the ship's crew?

Give it two tails, a different head, or leathery wings or something.

I like this one, but something alien might reinforce the whole "they're not near Earth" idea.

Just thinkin' my endlessly-ignorable thinks! :thumb:
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    u know an alien bird could look jus liek an orinary one might just poop glowing neon green poo and have 3 eyes