Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian assault frigate

• AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Parker wrote: »
    Just call this vessel "Wacht am Rhein". :>

Great work so far. Love that Prussian eagle.

I don't think that this particular name would be a wise choice... ;)
  • CalCal0 Posts: 0Member
    This is an outstanding project. Just beautiful.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Quite mean looking. Most impressive modeling, and beautiful design :)
    A few impressions...
    74829.jpg74830.jpg
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    She's a beauty Alnair. Can we get a wireframe render?
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Always a pleasure stopping in on your threads!
    Yup she is a beaut!
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Haven't looked in on this one for a while - that eagle looks good on her ;)
  • Vlasta BartVlasta Bart0 Posts: 0Member
    Alnair,can we get a scale drawing for a physicaly modelling?
    Here are the requested wireframe renderings...

Martocticvs: The eagle is only the beginning! I have already some ideas for an adequate nose art...

Vlasta Bart: At the moment I'm extremly busy with my RL job. So scale drawings or even ortho renderings will take some time. My first priority is to finish that model. If you are planning to model her for your personal use just send me an PM and we can discuss the matter- :)
    74845.jpg74846.jpg74847.jpg
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    That's a gorgeous ship :thumb:
    I'm thinking about building for fun, I like nice things, drawing is not as necessary, could be a side view of a wireframe render.Everything else can be inferred
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    Hopefully, those renders are sufficient evidence to convince people it wasn't secretly built in orbit and photographed.
    Hopefully, those renders are sufficient evidence to convince people it wasn't secretly built in orbit and photographed.

You are wrong! These are secretly taken from the original construction plans... ;)
    I'm thinking about building for fun, I like nice things, drawing is not as necessary, could be a side view of a wireframe render.Everything else can be inferred

No problem! Give me just a few days.
    Alnair wrote: »
    No problem! Give me just a few days.

ok:p, still thinking about scale 1/144 or /350:rolleyes:
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Ow, missed this thread for a while. My, my, this has come together quite nicely. I like the balanced design, clean, not cluttered but well detailed at the same time, plus the whole thing has some sexy lines overall. I'm a fan!

:D
    Meph wrote: »
    Ow, missed this thread for a while. My, my, this has come together quite nicely. I like the balanced design, clean, not cluttered but well detailed at the same time, plus the whole thing has some sexy lines overall. I'm a fan!

:D

as you say, it's a little sexy
    as you say, it's a little sexy

Then wait for her big sister! Already in the first stage of construction...
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Did you ever decide if you will have FTL on these ships? They just look too advanced not to have it...
    Did you ever decide if you will have FTL on these ships? They just look too advanced not to have it...

That's a difficult decission! FTL would be more scifi like. From watching TV shows or reading scifi novells we are used to ships that can travell from star to star. Fast travell allows the plot elements we know all too well e.g. war between interstellar empires, charting unknown regions of space, first contact with alien species and so on. But according to all known laws of physics especially the law of causality FTL travell is (absolutely?) forbidden. Beeing myself a natural scientist (not a physicist but a chemist and biologist) I'm at the moment an adherer of the old and rather outdated hard scifi which sticks a bit closer with RL physics. So no FTL capability planned (at the moment ;)).
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Good news it good to see some down to earth ships. Im trying to do a real life ship at the moment but mine is still far outdated compared to yours. Just two quick questions, do you have a spin section for gravity inside the hull and what type of propulsion does it use, I was going to go with a open-cycle nuclear rocket engine was just wondering what yours was or if you have even thought of it?
    liam887 wrote: »
    Good news it good to see some down to earth ships. Im trying to do a real life ship at the moment but mine is still far outdated compared to yours. Just two quick questions, do you have a spin section for gravity inside the hull and what type of propulsion does it use, I was going to go with a open-cycle nuclear rocket engine was just wondering what yours was or if you have even thought of it?

Indeed if have planned to equip the ship with a small internal spinning section with 16 m diameter and a simulated 0.6 G (maybe I will recalculate that). Motion sickness or nausea should be no problem for trained soldiers. In addition this section houses only the accomodations of the crew. Other sections like the bridge are 0 G environments as long as the ship doesn't maneuver.
    For the engines I have two different propulsion systems in mind. Two advanced nuclear rockets (type isn't finally decided yet) for high acceleration and fast maneuvers under combat conditions. The use of these rockets is limited by the available reaction mass. The other type are four civilian grade ion engines improved in terms of reliability. These propulsion systems are used for acceleration under cruising conditions. Their power output is equal to widely used civilian vessels like freighters or mining ships so the frigatte is able to mimic those ships when not under too close inspection.
    BTW, your own project is impressive! I like the overall style of your design. :)
    That's a difficult decission! FTL would be more scifi like. From watching TV shows or reading scifi novells we are used to ships that can travell from star to star. Fast travell allows the plot elements we know all too well e.g. war between interstellar empires, charting unknown regions of space, first contact with alien species and so on. But according to all known laws of physic especially the law of causality FTL travell is (absolutely?) forbidden. Beeing myself a natural scientist (not a physicist but a chemist and biologist) I'm at the moment an adherer of the old and rather outdated hard scifi which sticks a bit closer with RL physics. So no FTL capability planned (at the moment ;)).

Not entirely accurate..

I think too many folks get a little semantically locked on to the term "faster than light". Even in the universes of Star Wars and Star Trek faster than light travel within the realm of real space is not possible. In Trek, ships travel in the realm of subspace and in Wars it's hyperspace. In real world physics these two are in all actuality the same. But they are hypothetically real dimensions. Relativity itself tells us that space time is warped naturally. Therefore, most modern day physicists concur that with sufficiently advanced technology, the artificial warping of space time for the purposes of travel and communication is not impossible. Whether it is an Alcubierre Warp Drive, Wormhole Drive or Hyperdrive..One day..provided we make it that long, travel time between star systems will be measured relative to faster than light velocity, though the actual travel will not be within normal space time. So when we talk about FTL we use it as a generic term that is more descriptive of how long it takes to get somewhere vs. how fast we travel. To simplify my point, say a federation starship takes 6 hours at warp whatever to get to Proxima Centauri from the Sol system. A distance of about four light years. C is 186,000 miles per second. So if it takes us 21,600 seconds to go four light years then the relative velocity is indeed supraluminal, though through subspace, not real space. Even in Trek, if the warp drive wasn't working it would take that same starship well over 10 years to reach Proxima..

So I guess what we are left with is whether or not one chooses to have faith that science will figure out a way to utilize other highways of travel instead of real-space for interstellar journeys. Me personally, I think it foolish to believe we won't, how long it will take us is anyone's guess. But, I respect your choice to format your universe the way you have..Lot's of fun can be had within the borders of our own star system too...
    Good points, sorceress21! But the theories that could allow FTL travell are rather exotic at the moment and would require insane ammounts of energy. In treck the ships are coated in their own miniature universe built by the warp engine. Stargate uses whormholes which have to be kept open with exotic matter or exotic energy (no one knows how the mathematical models of these entities could be transfered into our world). Currently I'm reading "The Fabric of Cosmos" written by the physicist Brian Green. The modern hyperstring theory (M theory, if I remember right) he is sketching for his readers (mostly no physicists) is simply breathtaking. But even that theory leaves only little room for the ordinary scifi magic. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see someone cheating Einstein! Hmm, I have stated that this ship has no FTL engine, but maybe... could be a nice plot solar superpowers struggling for the first FTL prototype...
    Oooh, now that does sound like a really cool plot line. My personal instinct tells me that the FTL problem isn't as tough as we think it is. What I mean is when we figure out how to actually do it, I bet we will have had the technology to pull it off for years prior, just not the knowledge. But as for your plot..again that is a great platform for some drama.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Plot devices aside, The wireframe renders are great.
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    You don't need faster than light, there are some very cool things that can be done slower than light. Work distance related lag into combat and you get some very interesting tactics to overcome the problems with large fleets.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    I agree with Diarrhia, travel at speeds less then ftl would let the use of tactics like what the modern day navy etc uses except in a complete 3 dimensional plain would be put into play. So attack and counter attack tactics would rock. Along with the mentioned distance related lag into combat and for long distance strikes/communications etc too.

Whilst I'm a fan of all these new flash ftl and instant communications I do like some actual science based scifi aswell and this seems right up that alley, good work so far :)
  • rodglasrodglas331 Posts: 0Member
    FTL doesn't exclude the use of the tactics suggested. It just has to be a limited technology.

It can't be used "in system" for example... you have to travel a out to Neptune/Pluto orbit to even activate. Or you can use a gate system like stargate or B5 jumpgates and have no shipboard FTL at all.

If FTL is the one sci-fi cheat you allow in a hard-sci world make it the most limited tech you can think of.

I've always kind of liked the idea of the Hyperspace/Warp Cannon that fires your ship into FTL and drops you into your target system. To get back you would need to have another cannon so travel is only possible between developed worlds.
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    But according to all known laws of physics especially the law of causality FTL travell is (absolutely?) forbidden. Being myself a natural scientist (not a physicist but a chemist and biologist) I'm at the moment an adherer of the old and rather outdated hard scifi which sticks a bit closer with RL physics. So no FTL capability planned (at the moment ;)).

Yes, the old saying goes "Causality, Relativity, FTL travel: chose any two."
    Atomic Rocket: Faster Than Light

Relativity has been proven to something like nineteen decimal points, there are few scientific theories on a more sound footing.

According to Relativity, FTL travel is identical to time travel.

And by using time travel, it is possible to make causality paradoxes, which utterly destroys causality.

And causality is more or less the sine qua non of science. Destroying the basis of science tends to annoy scientists.

The possible loop-hole is to postulate a law of physics that enforce a no-paradox rule for time travel. There are actually four possible contenders, there are details at the first link.