Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTrek Border Cutter / Scout

NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
She's nothing spectacular or interesting, and I honestly don't have the foggiest clue as to what to name it, but I'm pretty sure it's done. I kicked around the design concept about 4 years ago and haven't touched it since. This weekend, though, I found myself with a little free time and decided to play around a bit. If it looks like she needs anything more, please tell me. And if I goofed anything up, PLEASE tell me.

Suggestions for a name would be cool, too.
54437.jpg
54438.jpg
54439.jpg
54440.jpg
54442.jpg
Post edited by NightShadow on
JES
Tagged:

• NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    More pics...
    54443.jpg54444.jpg
    JES
  • rdudarduda332 Posts: 0Member
    Simple clean design, I like. Good job here.
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    Now this is what Im talking about. I love the non-traditional trek designs! Shes a real beaut!
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    "Navajo-Class" (Scout)
    "Nis'gaa-Class"
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice one. When I looked at the first picture, this made me worry that torpedos may be the only weapon, but then I saw the pulse phasers.
    From the look of the impulse engines, this beast must be a danm fast beast.

My suggestions:
    Mjolnyr-class (named after the might hammer of Thor from the Norse myth)
    Abaris-class (named after the all-penetrating arrow from the Greek myth)
    Fragarach-class (named after the powerful sword from the Celtic myth)
  • InsanityInsanity0 Posts: 0Member
    to me it has a slight BSG scout design (old school BSG) I like this ship
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    @insanity your right taking a second look at the perspective view it does kinda resemble a stubby BSG.
  • CaptainTomCaptainTom171 Posts: 0Member
    Really like this ship - it's an interesting design however there is one thing about it that seems off. It looks like the warp and impulse engine proportions are reversed - usually it's the nacelles that convey a sense of power over the impulse engines.

Obviously it's your ship and therefore yours to design as you see fit but if I were to change anything on it I'd probably eliminate the top 2 impulse engine exhausts and instead use them as 2, single capacity sideways berthed, shuttle bays. Obviously it wouldn't be suitable for the likes of runabout sized shuttles but perhaps a type 9 shuttle (like Voyagers).
  • srylatsrylat0 Posts: 0Member
    First off like the design. Especially the tucked under nacelles. It always seemed structurally/tactically bad to put them so far out on thin wings to me.

The only (hopefully constructive) criticism I have is that the area you have for the torpedo launcher seems a bit small for the torpedoes and mechanisms for it. From various shows I've seen they were at least man-sized objects normally. Grant from looking at various Wikipedia pages, they say they have "mini-torpedoes"... but again that is just a wiki page.

Again though, good job overall.
  • lakatlakat0 Posts: 0Member
    I think it's a great looking ship! Keep up the good work, And please make some more but different.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Good job.
  • docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    Its like SD Gundam.lol SD BSG/Trek. Its a different perspective in the Trek universe wich breaks up the repitisiousness of the Confederatoin. Either way it looks like your on to something. I would still look through the generations of the Confederatoin and incorperate alittle more of that in your ship. I like what you got so far, lets see where you take it.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I too am concerned with the size and placement of the torpedo launchers. Since it's canon that a torpedo casing is large enough to put a body into, they must be at least 7 feet long, probably more like 9. The launcher assembly on your ship simply isn't big enough for the torpedoes to fit in. :(

Also, their placement gives them only a little freeboard between the launcher and the upper-hull. I'd raise them up a bit (at least a few feet) just so there's no concern about hitting the hull while firing torpedoes under radical maneuvers.

Otherwise, I am actually in favor of this ship. Doesn't seem over armed (though six pulse-phasers is quite a handfull) nor over designed.

Nice job. :thumb:

I'm actually partial to the over-sized impulse engines at the rear. Conveys the concept of "Coast Guard in Space" rather effectively. Anywhere in a system she's gonna be a REAL handfull.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Looks nice Jay! How the life is going? Still in US Army? :)
    Can I suggest you Beaumont, Triumph or Artemis as a name? ;)
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    i like the design
    now as for the torpedo launcher size the pic with the man tells me that the ship has a beam of 80 meters (262.47 ft) and a length of 100 meters (328 ft.) so a ship of the size
    would use a 13cm micro-torpedo and there is both micro-photons and micro-quantums
    and with the size she could hold a few of them.
    As Horton said, Micro-torps...
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    i was looking again and the torpedo breach is a little wide so you could put on the specs
    they are a burst fire micro-torpedo launcher and i could do the specs if you want NightShadow
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the design, but i'm a traditionalist. to me mainstream Starfleet ships need the distinct saucer/boomed naccelles, just as klingons have the distinctive boom and wing design, and romulans have the warbird look.

This looks to be a vehicle of some member Planet that has not fully been folded into starfleet yet.
    "Artemis" sounds like a superb name for her, Starship. And making it an "Abaris Class" starship strikes me as being very appropriate, Aresius. Thanks to both of you!

As for the torp launchers... yeah, I was thinking that they'd fire mini-torps like the ones that the runabouts are outfitted with. I also goofed up- the cannons on the bottom are actually supposed to be torpedo launchers, too.

And the impulse engines were meant to be big. The way I see it, a scout/border cutter needs to be highly maneuverable, right? Well, achieving warp doesn't really help much in a skirmish, but having powerful impulse engines and a nimble frame design DOES.

The ship is indeed VERY small. I expect that it handles a crew of about 15 at the very most. I'm building an interior for it right now, something very basic and self-contained. It'll have a bridge, barracks, mess/recreation hall, captain's ready room (which adjoins to his personal quarters), sick bay and engineering room- all on a single deck. Everything else above and below that deck will be devoted to storage and machinery.

Oh, and yes, I'm still in the Army. Doing AIT at Fort Gordon now. So, obviously, my time is rather limited. I don't know how long this project will take before it's done, but I'm quasi-committed to it for as long as it takes.

Thanks for the comments, praise and suggestions, guys! It was definitely more than I expected and was warmly received. I'll post more when I get more, as always. :)
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Y'know NightShadow... having big whoopin' impulse engines doesn't make your ship more maneuverable. Having lots of RCS thrusters does...

That being said, I dig the shape of the ship. It doesn't look that bad :)
    True enough. I can always add more RCS thrusters. The big engines would at least make her fast, which is its own bonus.

And thanks for the compliment on the design. This was originally going to be a freighter. I had designed it to be MUCH larger with cargo containers (removable) between the forward section and the aft engines (which explains why the engines were originally designed to be so large- more thrust for more mass/cargo). But my older brother asked me what it'd look like without the cargo containers and the intervening brackets, so I obliged and said to myself, "By golly, that looks pretty damned hot!" So I dropped the freighter design and moved forward with this instead. Interesting how some things come to be, isn't it? (not)
  • theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice job, J-man! I like different designs, and this is it. Simple, yet complex by moving well known elements around to new places and shapes. Well done.
    More fun... the initial interior layout....

I've decided that I will reuse some of the parts from my Deepstar bridge project in the interest of saving time/effort. Some things, however, will have to be 100% original and new, like the consoles and stuff. When I get to the barracks and mess hall is when things ought to get really fun.
    54506.jpg54507.jpg
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Insanity wrote: »
    to me it has a slight BSG scout design (old school BSG) I like this ship

^What he said.

kborak wrote: »
    @insanity your right taking a second look at the perspective view it does kinda resemble a stubby BSG.

^What he said.

Good job though, :thumb:.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Just for giggles, let's see the dropped Freighter design. I might be interested in using it in fan fiction.
    I like the bridge so far. Nice work..
    I would advice to push back the stairs of the CON pit a bit; right now it feels really cramped while it doesn't need to. You've got space enough...
    You'd be amazed at how little space I actually have to play with, Borgman. I haven't started working on the port/starboard consoles yet, which will take up at least a meter on each side. Things are not always what they seem when doing interior designs. It always looks like you've got oodles of room to play with until you start adding things and suddenly you're left with, "Where the hell did all that space go?!?"

And here's some pics of the dropped frieghter design:
    54549.jpg54550.jpg54551.jpg54552.jpg54553.jpg
    JES
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    The dropped freighter makes me remember Galactica. :)
    To be honest... I like the freighter design a tad more than the cutter.

Could you show us a topview from the bridge design? I'm curious to how many space you have...