Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Star Destroyer

docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I put my other WIP on the back burnner untill I can come up with some better ideas, I dont want to over do it.

Some one gave me some advice on doing a ship of one that I like to get a feel on how modeling works before doing an original design. So im takeing her up on the advice.

Ive always been the Super Star Wars geek, got all the movies, cartoons(tv serise from the 80's too), and I have read alot of the book. My favorite series from the books is "The New Jedi Order". As much as I like the Jedi, ive alway had a fondness for the Imperial Navy and the Star Destroyer. So here is my first serious attempt with detail and accuracy to pay hommage to the ISD with my own personal touch.

And Yes the scale is set to meters and she messures 1800m.
54327.jpg
Post edited by docprice on
Tagged:

• Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    ambitious project... good luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    You're going to have your work cut out for you with doing that in SU - you're going to hit the poly limit very quickly. My suggestion is either to cut the body up into sections and hide the sections that you're not working on, so you can keep frame rates smooth and workable.
  • docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    I plan on getting down the basics with minor detail then exporting to blender to do the rest.

Update: Haveing trouble decideing engine exhaust set up I like. what do you guys think, Far Right, Middle, or Far Left

Update: changed the exhaust ports abit.
    54376.jpg
    the middle one...
  • manwiththegunmanwiththegun171 Posts: 0Member
    the middle one...

I agree. Middle one.
    I think I bit off more than I can chew but Im going to keep trucken. here is an updated aft end.
    54402.jpg
    ISD9.jpg 379.3K
    Looks good so far.
  • BerticusBerticus171 Posts: 63Member
    No such thing as too much, yo just gotta lop it up into small enough pieces to chew. :shiner:

This ought to be fun watching this come together!
    I got the secondary bay done.
    54414.jpg54415.jpg54416.jpg54417.jpg
    looks good. where's the greebles...:devil:
    oh bullocks, I forgot thoose at the market. lol....

I dont have any greebles on my laptop. Its not eactly ideal for high poly counts and decent modeling, but it dose let me do the basics and helps me pass time.
    Update, the start of the super structure. let me know what you think.
    54466.jpg
    Looks pretty close to me.
    ^ lol you seem to be the only one consistantly following this thread. lol

update: I wasnt happy with the secondary thrusters so I replaced them with better looking exhaust ports. also I added the forward sensors.
    54473.jpg54474.jpg54475.jpg
    OH, but I've been following this thread to! :P I just haven't been posting. I just don't really have that much that is constructive to say, that's all... :shiner:
    lol, perhaps you have some ideas, I have been haveing trouble with the overhand lips on the super structure. Referance my goby pic on my first post. do you have any ideas on how to accomplish this.
    My best run at it would be a cut on the super structure where the bottom of the lip is and then an extrusion inward of everything below.
    Alittle light hearted political humor.

Bush and Mckain's new plans for Iraq.. seems to look promissing.
    54486.jpg54487.jpg
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    That's really coming along nicely. Look forward to more.
    Update: Large Turbo laser batteries on the sides of the super structure and the main pylon for the bridge section.

edite: I dont know if the Main bridge Pylon is wide or long enough from Aft to Bow. When I first put it on there it looked good but after letting it sit for a day it seems alittle dinky to me. Maybe it looks off because there is not a bridge on there.
    54492.jpg54493.jpg54494.jpg
    I have a quick question. Did the Empire have any designations for the Ships. i.e. USS Never Sail, or HMS Permadocked. Most of the time from what I have read they only refer to the ship by its name. i.e. "Greeting I am Commander Shmuckatelli, this is my Ship the Vengance." If you guys could offer any insight into the it would really help me out and my little short story that is going to be the back ground of this ship.

-Rick-
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    you should check out wookiepedia for info on the ship and such, ive been watching this thread from the start as well just havent posted, i dont have much tips on the model itself but i know a lot about sketchup and can help you with modeling techniques etc if you get stuck on a certain aort id be glad to help just leave a message in this thread and ill get back to you. Looking good so far tho cant wait to see it greebeled!
    I have been haveing the most trouble with the super structure. In my reference pic you can see that there is a over hang *nautical term* on the overhead wich extends past the bulkheads. Ive tried to cut out the diagnal cross sections of the pannels and then do a extention but the tool dosent reconize it as a workable median. Should I rebuild in scketch up or see what I can do in blander?
    you mean at the very front in the trench thingy?
    :confused:I have circled it in red, and point out with some rather rudimentry arrows. if you zoom in you can see the lip of the roofs extending past the main walls.
    54514.JPG
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Looks like a nice start.

1) Some accuracy issues: the angle of the neck of the tower is too steep. 2) The platform for the turrets actually is peaked in the middle (note the line running lengthways through the turret positions in this ref: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/chron/isdguns1.gif). and 3), the terraces are too short as you have them currently, the top terrace should come up to around 2/3rds of the entire height of the tower neck, which itself should be shorter than the indent for the engine array aft.

Not sure how it works in sketchup, but for the overhangs of the terrace you see in my ortho, you might try taking the top polygon of the terrace piece, detaching it and scaling it outwards, and then cutting it to shape. Alternatively just make it as a separate piece and position it; much easier if you can work with it separately.
    if you email me the SU file to [email protected] ill change it quick and send it you back tomorrow?
    Thanks for pointing that out, it felt like something was off but i couldnt put my finger on it.

< /bow, awsome job on the ISD, one day ill figure out how to use Blender,lightwave,etc.. and match your level.

once again Awsome feed back. Although I am going to put in alittle surprise here soon. Just to add my own little Flavor to the ISD community.

@liam887

Sure thing, when I get home from work that will be one of the first things that I do.
    54517.jpg
    sorry tried to open the file its lightwave? i thought it was sketchup, no matter when i try to open it just get a message saying error opening lwo file? sorry cant help alter your model. However i used those reference pics you posted and i banged up a rough outline for the superstructure, its got a few bits and bobs missing so you will need to finish it, I didnt put to much effort in as i know your making this mesh to learn to model but its yours if you want me to email you it?
    Sorry about the light file, ill export it when i get home as a sketch up file. if you could convert your work to 3ds and email it to me, I wanna see how you did that, that would be very much appreciated.