Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBattlestar Galactica Vipers

• TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Bar!

The ones I'm using for my Mk VII drawings are by a guy here named Viper Aviator. I'm waiting for him to send his revision of them. They are very well done.
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Sounds good. I can't wait to see them.
    Keep up the good work.
    Bar.
  • SanjurjoSanjurjo0 Posts: 0Member
    Talos wrote: »
    Thanks Larsen, that means a lot. :)

I have a lot of the Squadron-Signal "In Action" and "In Detail and Scale" series aircraft books, these were the inspiration for arranging the blocks like that.

I think I'm going to work on designing some stores for the Vipers, missiles, rockets, bombs, ecm and recon pods, etc. Plus I need to completely squash and redo the Viper Mk II blocks.

Hmmm....Viper Mk I in Detail and Scale...:D

Me also, a helluva in Action, a small quantity of scale & detail, and a lot of the WalkAround, and quite a few of the monographics, that ones in normal format, not "widscreen". So if you need some inspiration... we can talk, and i can help with scans of whatever you need, and i could have :D

Viper in Detail & Scale.. not bad, how about the Walkaround... :lol:
    Viper in action... this could be a nice project, someone does the cover and the aft drawings, and the colour inserts on 3d, with some other 3d images and series/old/new captures as photos, plus your drawings... would be nice!
    Oh yeah, the Walkaround books, I'd forgotton about those, I think I have a few stashed away. I always liked the In Action books better, more drawings and actual text. In detail and Scale was my favorite though, very detailed.

Sounds like fun!:D
    I like a lot of the Squadron/Signal books, not bad, detail & scale.
    But latelly i begun to have in account the Osprey books, i have quite a few of them, interesting thematics, beautiful illustrations, helluva variety of themes: WWI, Samurai, actual, WWII, roman, medieval, planes, subs... their monographics are great, for example their Samurai stuff is lovely. Just imagine... Osprey New Vanguard, Viper Mk.I, or essential history nr.X, the Cylon Wars! :D
    Oh, i forgot, i have both miniseries & Season 1 of the new show, as well the Complete Original series Dvds, so if you need screencaps, i'll see what i can do. ;)
    Haha, yeah, that would be interesting. I have some of the Osprey books, in similar themes ironically. I got the new show DVDs, but not the original. Hmm, I could probably throw a couple pages together this weekend, maybe a page of schematics, and a photo page like in the In Action books.
    I wasn't satisfied with the quality of the Cobra fighter that's several pages back so I decided to basically scrap it and start anew. You can see the difference in the two since the aft cockpit is still a remnant of the original drawing.
    Updated the Cobra.
  • Safe@2ndSafe@2nd0 Posts: 0Member
    Always did like this ship.

Back when it was called a Starfighter.;) Always wondered how Buck and Starbuck would get along.

Like I said to B.J. "Any Viper list would be amiss if it didn't have the Starfighter, the original prototype for the Viper."

There's something I'll like to see in the RTF, the Starsearcher. Hell, I'd just like to see the Searcher.

Keep up the good work Talos!
    Thanks Safe!

I'd like to see those ships too.

I'll get more done on this soon, as well as some of the variations, plus one that incorporates the original BSG design.
    Okay, I'm pretty much done the Cobra top view. I've also included a comparison with my earlier version. The new one is a complete redraw. The final pic for tonight is the basically finished T.Mk blocks side view, including the moved aftward rear seat and open cockpits.

vipertmkisideaay1.th.jpg
    Excellent work as always Talos!

When you are doing the evolution of this bird, don't forget to include the Thunder Fighter variation and the side-by-side cockpit edition.

I look forward to seeing how you morph this into the Viper.
    Good work. Gotta like both the Cobra and the nice comparative between the T.Mk.1 blocks, we can see the differences & evolution quite well. :)
    Thanks guys!

I do intend to do the side by side version of the Cobra. Which one is the Thunder fighter? I'm doing the one with the weird nose fins from "Happy Birthday Buck" or whatever episode.

This is the text for what I intend the Cobra to be. It's still rough, but I'll probably rewrite it eventually.

During the Colonial Wars, the fleet of Picon was never very large in numbers. Realizing that they had no hope of matching Sagittaron or Caprica for size, Picon designers teamed up with designers from Aquaria to produce a large, powerful starfighter capable of deep strike missions, air defense, and other fleet operations. The design that the team came up with was impressive. It was a large fighter capable of launching attacks at great range and also mounted up to eight cannons, four times the armament of the Caprican Viper. Missiles and bombs were also carried in underwing and fuselage hardpoints. The fighter sat two, a pilot and a weapon systems officer (WSO) in line under a canopy. Military representatives from both colonies were impressed with the design and orders came from both for hundreds of the ship. The fighter, dubbed the Cobra due to the shape of its wing and fuselage, was expensive but dominated anything on the battlefield. One pilot, callsign "Buck" shows this in his record. He was credited with shooting down over a hundred enemy starfighters, 39 shuttles, 72 freighters and other cargo ships, 4 battleships, 6 carriers, a Sagittaron battlestar, and 29 lesser warships. His record was unmatched during the war even after he disappeared on the eve of it's end. After the war, Colonial fleet representatives considered redesigning the fighter to equip its starfighter forces but ultimately decided not too, citing cost and size as the reasons for it. They eventually decided on redesigning the Caprican Viper as the new colonial starfighter.
    Thanks guys!

I do intend to do the side by side version of the Cobra. Which one is the Thunder fighter? I'm doing the one with the weird nose fins from "Happy Birthday Buck" or whatever episode.

Yep, that's the one.
    Well, I haven't had much time to draw the last couple of days and even less time for the internet due to family here for Thanksgiving but I have a few small things done.

First is the almost done modified Cobra aka the "Happy Birthday Buck" Thunderfighter. Next is the Civvie Mk I-10 Viper to which I added a baggage compartment in the nose. It's a pair of doors that swing up in a gullwing fashion. There is a small Navy-style ladder that folds out from below the LERX for access. Finally, the last one is the Mk VII family pic at a better resolution.
    vipermkviifamilyalo2.th.jpgcivvipermkiblock10fp9.th.jpg
    Good, good and good, keep up the great work, Talos!

I like this Cobra vision, and the Mk.VII is sexy... :D
    Thank Sanjurjo. That Cobra version isn't completely finished yet, I still need to add the vertical tail surfaces. I put together all of the Mk I blocks together into one very large page and also included a new pic of the prototype. Next up is a new EW.Mk I block 40 and an updated block 10. Finally, I added a prototype Mk VII to the Mk VII family pic.

vipermkiside3ht0.th.jpgviperewmkiblock40bu1.th.jpgviperewmkiblock10hv8.th.jpgvipermkviifamilyawm6.th.jpg
  • Darth MaliceDarth Malice0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, I like the scorpion. How did you get the ortho of the Mk7. Is it cannon or improvised?..
    Thanks Malice. The orthos I'm using for the Mk VII were drawn by Viper Aviator here on these forums. I'm currently waiting for his updated ones which is why the Mk VII side view is currently on hold. I'm very happy with how the Scorpion and Scarab are coming so far.
    Thanks Malice. The orthos I'm using for the Mk VII were drawn by Viper Aviator here on these forums. I'm currently waiting for his updated ones which is why the Mk VII side view is currently on hold.
    Cool, looking forward to that...:cool:
    I'm very happy with how the Scorpion and Scarab are coming so far.
    You should be, they rock mate...:thumb:
    Thanks Darth.
    I had time to do a little drawing yesterday. I finally added the scoops on the side of the Scarlet Viper's engines. This change has filtered down to the regular Viper and the new EW.Mk I block 20. The only one I haven't updated yet is the T.Mk I. The last pic is a new prewar fighter WIP I started yesterday.

vipermkiside3gd0.th.jpgscarletviper3mj4.th.jpgviperewmkiblock20dy0.th.jpg
    The scarlets looking cool man. The pre-war fighter? looks remarably like the War Hawk from the Buck Rogers TV show. Minus the wing tips and tail of coarse. Is that where the idea came from?..
    Yep, dead on Malice. I'm drawing up the Hawk but it'll have a different tail and wingtips that should be less birdlike and more realistic. I'm also straightening out the nose which is why if you look closely at it, it's longer already then the original ship.
    Yeah I thought so. I`ve had a strange love affair with that ship since I was nine and it would be difficult to sneak it by me unnoticed.:D It would be great inspiration for you I`m sure and I`ll be interested to see what you make of it. Keep it up...:thumb:
    Thanks Malice, it's a strangely cool design, once I changed some of the excessively birdlike features. I should be able to get some more work done on it tonight.
    Cool, look forward to it...:thumb:
    I always liked Hawk's ship too. Even the character Hawk for that matter. But since I got The B.R. DVD box set, I see now that the years have rose coloured my perspective.

I'd like to see your changes to it as well.

I think some one else did a "remake" of Hawk's ship 'round these parts. I think I saw it prior to the crash. Seems to me the same person did a version of the Scorpion from S:AAB too. Both were well done, if I recall correctly. Obi maybe?
    Okay, here's what I have so far for the Hawk. I've included a scrap of the forward fuselage to show what I've done with the nose. It's based on the nose of the AH-1G Cobra gunship. I'm going for a butterfly-tail setup similar to the YF-23 Black Widow II.