Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBattlestar Galactica Vipers

• TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    This is the earliest of Caprica's Viper fighters from the colonial wars. It's supposed to be the same ship on the current Viper patch. It's primarily an atmospheric fighter and intended to fight the Sagittaron Scorpion fighters.

A top view is forthcoming, probably tomorrow.
    Here's the finished top view of the fighter. Its wings fold for storage and it should approximate the Viper patch with its wings folded.
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    I like it. It definitely has an older feel to it and I can easily see how it would influence future Vipers. Nice work.
    Thanks, it's a melding of the Viper, the Scorpion from TOS (which is an enemy craft for this bird), and 1930-50s military aircraft. I really enjoy this design and I think it turned out well.
    Hey all, sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. Working fulltime sucks. :lol:

Anyway, I did finish this, the side view for the Spectre Mk I. I ommited the wings for clarity.
    This pic is a progression of the Viper Mk I from the beginning to the end of the Cylon war. Not much else to say about that. :D
    These are the fighters of the Colonial wars before the colonial unification. From the top, Sagitarron Scorpion, Caprican Viper, and Picon Cobra (VA should like this :D). When I do ship stats for the D20 project, I write a background paragraph too. I figured someone would find the ones I wrote for these interesting. These are for the Viper and Cobra respectively, I haven't finished the Scorpion yet. Oh, there is also a pic of the Mk I prototype mentioned in the Viper history.

Caprican Viper
    During the Colonial Wars, the Caprican fleet aerospace forces were equipped with a primarily-atmospheric fighter called the Viper. This twin-engined fighter carried two 20mm cannons in fuselage mounts and had rocket mounting points on its wings. The wings were capable of folding for storage in hangers and ships. The Viper served in both Caprican carriers and land bases in all theaters of the war. The fighter was simply, tough, and fast. It proved up to the task of defending the fleet, fighting against the comprable Sagittaron Scorpion-class Warbirds and the much superior Picon and Aquaria Cobra starfighters. The Vipers served in every major engagement of the war. During the war, a new, short wing was equipped to many of the fighters, among other changes. This signified the change in focus from aerial combat to the space environment. After the war, the Viper was chosen as the base for the first generation of unified Colonial fighters. The Cobra had proven too expensive to produce in the numbers needed and would not fit in the launch tubes of the new battlestars under construction. Ironically, these ships, evolved from a Sagittaron design, were sized for the Scorpion fighter which was passed over in favor of the Viper. A prototype was produced of the new fighter, the most major change was the addition of a third engine to the design. For the first production craft, a new forward fuselage, based on the Scorpion, was mated to the engine assembly. This fuselage also incorporated a new, more-frameless canopy for better visibility. This new fighter was quickly accepted into service with the commencement of the Cylon war as the Viper Mk I and proved itself in service to the extent that 50 years after its design, a decendant Viper still guards the Colonies from attack.

Picon-Aquarion Cobra
    During the Colonial Wars, the fleet of Picon was never very large in numbers. Realizing that they had no hope of matching Sagittaron or Caprica for size, Picon designers teamed up with designers from Aquaria to produce a large, powerful starfighter capable of deep strike missions, air defense, and other fleet operations. The design that the team came up with was impressive. It was a large fighter, capable of launching attacks at great range and also mounted up to eight cannons, four times the armament of the Caprican Viper. Missiles and bombs were also carried in underwing and fuselage hardpoints. The fighter sat two, a pilot and a weapon systems officer (WSO) in line under a canopy. Military representatives from both colonies were impressed with the design and orders came from both for hundreds of the ship. The fighter, dubbed the Cobra due to the shape of its wing and fuselage, was expensive but dominated anything on the battlefield. One pilot, callsign "Buck" shows this in his record. He was credited with shooting down over a hundred enemy starfighters, 39 shuttles, 72 freighters and other cargo ships, 4 battleships, 6 carriers, a Sagittaron battlestar, and 29 lesser warships. His record was unmatched during the war. He disappeared on the eve of the war's end. After the war, Colonial fleet representatives considered redesigning the fighter to equip its starfighter forces but ultimately decided not too, citing cost and size as the reasons for it. They eventually decided on redesigning the Caprican Viper as the new colonial starfighter.

EDIT: BTW, Cobra's a WIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    hmm.....why am i remebered of an annoying metal robot when i see the Cobra??? :confused: :p

Great work :thumb: And the backstories cool as well :D
  • Safe@2ndSafe@2nd0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! I really like seeing the progression of the Viper and your backstories really help flesh out the story!

Nice to see the Buck Rogers Starfighter incorporated. Nice touch!

This goes along way in trying to blend BSG TOS with the BSG 2003.

Keep up the good work!
    I've written back stories for almost all of the ships I've done, now I need to rewrite the Mk I to accomodate the new stuff I've done. I'll post some in a little while.
    As promised, here are some more fluff text paragraphs with stats included for those that play D20 Future. Also here is a finished top view of the Cobra. I tried something new with the Cobra, reducing the width of the minor panel lines and I think it turned out well.

Colonial Viper Mk VII space superiority fighter (PL 6)
    Type: Ultralight
    Subtype: Fighter
    Size: Gargantuan (-4 size)
    Length: 32.5 feet
    Weight: 37,000 lb.
    Crew: 1 (ace +12)
    Passenger Capacity: 0
    Cargo Capacity: 1,700 lb.
    Tactical Speed: 3,500 ft. (7 sq.) (4,500 ft. (9 sq.) with H.Inject)
    Defense: 19
    Flat-footed Defense: 13
    Autopilot Defense: 10
    Hardness: 20
    Hit Dice: 9d20 (180 hp)
    Initiative Modifier: +8
    Pilot's Class Bonus: +7
    Pilot's Dex Modifier: +6
    Gunner's Attack Bonus: +8/+3
    Targeting System Bonus:+2
    Grapple Modifier: +8
    Base Purchase DC: 46
    Restriction: Military (+3)
    Attack: 3 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +6 ranged (12d12/20) and
    HD-70/c Missile +1 ranged (6d12/19-20); or
    3 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +6/+1 ranged (12d12/20)
    Attack of Opportunity: None

Standard PL 6 Design Specs:
    Engines: 3 Voram VM6-V08 engines, thrusters
    Armor: Polymeric
    Defense Systems: Improved autopilot system,
    Sensors: Class III sensor array, targeting system
    Communications: Radio transceiver
    Weapons: 3 fire-linked MEC-A10 30mm Thraxon II autocannons (range incr. 4,000 ft.)
    1 Missile Launcher (8 HD-70/c Lightning Javelin Missiles)
    Grappling Systems: None

Several decades after the Cylon War, the Colonial military realized the need for a new fighter to replace the war-vintage Mk Is, IIs, IIIs, and IVs. The new craft, the Viper Mk V, failed to show any significant improvement over the Mk II and the design never made it past the drawing board and computer simulations. Instead, the Mk IIs were refitted with new avionics. Several years later, the same problem resurfaced and the radically different Viper Mk VI was designed. The Mk VI made it into preproduction with 8 prototypes built. Unfortunantely the Mk VI showed severe stability problems which culminated in the lose of two prototypes in a mid-air collision near the Corinth Air Base on Aerelon resulting in the deaths of both pilots. The Mk VI was cancelled after it was detirmined that it would not be cost effective to redesign the ship. It was another five years before another attempt to design a new fighter was made. After the Mk VI fiasco, the designers went back to the standard Viper configuration of three engines in a pyramid pattern and three wings. The sleek new design was labled the Mk VII and showed great promise from the beginning. It was faster and more manuverable than its predecessors and featured a heavier armament with the addition of a third cannon mounted on the base of the dorsal fin. The Mk VII entered production and became the standard fighter in the Colonial military. The Mk VII was first introduced into front-line service when the Air Wing of the battlestar Mercury, the first of the new Mercury-class battlestars, was equipped exclusivly with the Mk VII and the new Raptor-class ships. The Mk II continued for a few more years in the Air Wings of the older battlestars like the Galactica until the battlestars received new Mk VIIs. After several years of frontline service, a new Command Navigation Program (CNP) by developed by Dr. Gaius Baltar. The CNP was distributed by all ships in the fleet. Unbeknownst to anyone, the CNP contained a Cylon virus that disabled virtually all of the Colonial defenses when the Cylons attacked. The last squadron of Viper Mk VIIs stationed on the battlestar Galactica were en-route to Caprica to be reassigned when the Cylons attacked. The Vipers were shut down and massacred by a pair of Cylon Raiders. Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama flew a Mk VII (2276NC) to the Galactica for its decommisioning ceremony. He flew a Mk II during the ceremony and escaped the computer virus, although his ship was damaged evading a Cylon missile. Adama continued to use the Mk VII, which was purged of the CNP, along with several other Mk VIIs that travelled with the fleet to the rendevous at the Ragnar Anchorage and several that were down for repairs on Galactica. Several dozen Mk VIIs, the Air Wing of the Mercury class battlestar Pegasus, also escaped the Cylon attack. The Pegasus, and other later battlestars, have the capability of building Mk VIIs from basic materials and parts, allowing a ship to replenish its airwing if it is depleted.

Colonial Viper T.Mk I
    Size: Huge (-2 size)
    Length: 29.3 feet
    Weight: 39,000 lb.
    Crew: 2 (ace +12)
    Cargo Capacity: 1,000 lb.
    Tactical Speed: 2,500 ft. (6 sq.) (3,500 ft. (8 sq. with H.Inject)
    Defense: 21
    Flat-footed Defense: 15
    Autopilot Defense: 7
    Hit Dice: 6d20 (120 hp)
    Initiative Modifier: +6
    Pilot's Class Bonus: +7
    Pilot's Dex Modifier: +6
    Gunner's Attack Bonus: +8/+3
    Targeting System Bonus:+1
    Base Purchase DC: 36
    Attack: 2 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +7/+2 ranged (9d12/20)

Engines: 3 Voram VM3-D14 engines with Hydrogen Injectors, thrusters
    Armor: Alloy Plating
    Defense Systems:
    Sensors: Class I sensor array, targeting system
    Weapons: 2 fire-linked MEC-A2 30mm Thraxon autocannons (range incr. 3,000 ft.)

The Viper T.Mk I was developed concurrently with the Viper Mk I. It was designed as a dedicated trainer and carried a trainee pilot in a second cockpit placed behind the first. Many were constructed until the Mk I design was supplemented by the Mk II during the First Cylon War. The T.Mk I was a solid design although a bit slower the the fighter version. To reduce mass, the missile launcher was removed and the T.Mk I was only equipped with a pair of kinetic energy weapons. After the war, many T.Mk Is remained in service as trainers at various Colonial Fleet flight schools. The T.Mk Is remained in service until the Cylon assault forty years after the end of the first war. No T.Mk Is are known to have survived the attack. There were several variants of the T.Mk I produced. During the war a need for a dedicated close air-support (CAS) variant became apparent. Several T.Mk Is were modified in the field with the addition of a missile rack containing cluster munitions, a basic ECM suite and additional plates of armor. These proved successful in service and full production, as the Viper FGA.Mk I, commenced shortly thereafter. Other variants were also produced. The Viper EW.Mk I was equipped with the ECM system of the FGA.Mk I but lacked any offensive weaponry. It also carried an improved sensor system and a decoy launcher and was used as a limited AWACS craft. Finally, several prototypes were made during the war of the Viper N.Mk I. These were intended to be used as nuclear strike craft that would break past enemy raider screens and engage Cylon basestars with pinpoint nuclear missile strikes. The war ended before production could begin and the N.Mk I was quietly cancelled and the prototypes were scrapped without ever seeing combat.

FGA.Mk I Template
    Hit Dice: Increase by +1d20
    Defense System Upgrade: Sensor Jammer
    Weapons Upgrade: Missile Launcher (6 KE-33 Ballista Missiles)

EW.Mk I Template
    Defense System Upgrade: Sensor Jammer, Decoy Drone Launcher (2 Drones)
    Sensors Upgrade: Class II Sensor Array
    Weapons Downgrade: Remove all weapons

N.Mk I Template
    Hit Dice: Increase by +1d20
    Engine Upgrade: 3 Voram VM3-D14/b engines with Hydrogen Injectors (+500 speed)
    Defense System Upgrade: Sensor Jammer
    Sensors Upgrade: Targeting System (+1 on attack rolls)
    Weapon Upgrade: Missile Launcher (2 Mk III Nuclear Missiles)

Colonial Scarab Mk IV aerospace superiority fighter (PL 6)
    Size: Gargantuan (A–4 size)
    Weight: 34,000 lb.
    Crew: 1 (Expert +8)
    Tactical Speed: 3,500 ft. (7 sq.) in atmosphere/3,000ft (6 sq.) in space (4,500 ft. (9 sq.)/4,000 ft. (8 sq.) with H.Inject)
    Defense: 17
    Initiative Modifier: +4
    Pilot's Class Bonus: +5
    Pilot's Dex Modifier: +4
    Gunner's Attack Bonus: +4
    Base Purchase DC: 42
    Attack: 2 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +2 ranged (9d12/20); or
    HD-70/c missiles +2 ranged (6d12/19-20)

Engines: Voram VM5-A12 atmospheric-optimized engines with Hydrogen Injectors, thrusters
    Weapons: 2 fire-linked MEC-A10 30mm Thraxon II autocannons (range incr. 4,000 ft.)
    2 Missile Pods (8 HD-70/c Lightning Javelin Missiles)

Designed to replace aging Mk II and Mk IV Vipers still in service with the Colonial Militias, the Scarab Mk IV entered service five years before the destruction of the Twelve Colonies. It was named after the Scarab family of pre-war fightercraft replaced by the Viper Mk I. The Scarab was based on a modified version of the spaceframe of the first prototype Mk VII Viper, then also in the design stage. The Scarab's most distinctive feature is it's variable-geometry forward-swept wings which fold for storage, atmospheric reentry, and to enable the Scarab to launch in standard launch tubes on battlestar-type vessels. Unlike the Mk VII, the Scarab only mounts two cannons and carries it's missile payload in streamlined pods. The Scarab features wheeled landing gear for ground operations and also engines optimized for atmospheric-use.

Following a speedy design and testing period, the Scarab Mk IV was introduced to various militia units, beginning with the Caprica and Aerelon ones. In service, the Scarab proved low maintenance and was much cheaper to operate than the war-era Vipers. Eight squadrons were raised before the Cylon attack. The Scarabs were tasked for interception and Combat Air Patrols but also were capable of ground attack missions. They were stored in underground, blast-hardened hangers at most airbases so it is possible that some survived the attack intact.
  • Viper AviatorViper Aviator0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi Talos,

Lovin' the back stories, your Cobra looks great. I was looking through the old hard drive, and I found an original concept sketch by Ralph McQuarrie of the original proposed Viper for BSG "Saga of a Star World" I thought it could help.

PS

I found the Mk VII Orthos but there not the accurate ones they got dumped in the crash. I'm working on them today with the corrections and hopefully I'll zap them out to you tonight.

Sorry about the delay.
    Thanks so much for the pic and the orthos. The Mk VII orthos are well worth any wait since they are awesome. I should add in some of the design cues from the pic into a version of the Cobra. Hmm...
    Here's some more. The pic is the Mk VI mentioned in the Mk VII background a few posts up. It's a design by Larsen.

EDIT: Forgot pic, added now.

Colonial Viper Mk I space superiority fighter/Colonial Viper Mk IV space supiority fighter (PL 6)
    Size: Huge (A–2 size)
    Length: 28.71 feet
    Weight: 38,000 lb.
    Tactical Speed: 3,000 ft. (6 sq.)/3,500 ft. (7 sq.) (4,000 ft. (8 sq.)/4,500 ft. (9 sq.) with H.Inject)
    Autopilot Defense: 9
    Hit Dice: 6d20 (120 hp)/7d20 (140 hp)
    PilotA’s Class Bonus: +7
    PilotA’s Dex Modifier: +6
    GunnerA’s Attack Bonus: +8/+3
    Targeting System Bonus: +1 (Mk IV only)
    Base Purchase DC: 38
    Attack: 2 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +6 ranged (9d12) and
    HD-60/a Missile +1 ranged (6d12/19-20); or
    2 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +6/+1 ranged (9d12)

Engines: 3 Voram VM3-D14/Voram VM3-D14/b with Hydrogen Injectors, thrusters
    Armor: Alloy Plating
    Defense Systems: Autopilot
    Sensors: Class I sensor array/Class II sensor array, Targeting System (Mk IV only)
    Weapons: 2 fire-linked MEC-A2 30mm Thraxon autocannons/MEC-A5 30mm Thraxon autocannons (range incr. 3,000 ft.),
    1 missile launcher (4 HD-60/a Long Spear Missiles)

The Viper Mk I was the first in a new line of Colonial space supiority fighters. Originally the product of Caprican designers, the first Vipers entered service with fighter squadrons a decade before the Cylon War, replacing the obsolete Viper, Cobra, and Scorpion fighters used by the forces of the colonies. Developed from the earlier Caprican Viper and the Sagittaron Scorpion-class Warbird, the Viper Mk I, nicknamed the Starhound, became the standard fighter of the unified Colonial military. During the Cylon War, many Vipers Mk Is served in all theaters of the war. It proved itself to be superior to it's primary adversary, the slower and less manueverable Cylon Raider. Later in the war, the Viper Mk II replaced the Mk I as the primary fighter of the Colonial military. With the introduction of the Mk II, the Mk I was reglected to second line duties, outfitting reserve squadrons and performing home defense and convoy protection duties. The Mk I remained in use after the war. With the drawdown of the Colonial Fleet and a tightening military budget, many surplus Mk Is with low flight hours were fitted with new engines and avionics and a modified space frame. These refits were renamed Viper Mk IVs and sent to lower priority squadrons to replaced war-weary Mk Is. By the time of the second Cylon attack, most Mk Is and IVs were already decommissioned. However, a few stil soldiered on in militia and reserve squadrons. One Viper Mk I was placed in the museum on the famous battlestar Galactica. When Galactica's deck crew salvaged the Vipers in the museum to place on flight duty, they did not use the Mk I.

For Viper Mk Is serving in second-line squadrons later in the war, lower the crew rating to Trained (+4).

Colonial Battlestar (PL 6)
    Type: Superheavy
    Subtype: battlestar
    Size: Colossal (A–8 size)
    Length: 4,640 feet
    Weight: 500,000 tons
    Crew: 3,000 (expert +8)
    Passenger Capacity: 2,000
    Cargo Capacity: 38,250 tons
    Tactical Speed: 3,000 ft. (6 sq.)
    Defense: 11
    Flat-footed Defense: 7
    Autopilot Defense: 7
    Hardness: 40
    Hit Dice: 1,200d20 (24,000 hp)
    PilotA’s Class Bonus: +5
    PilotA’s Dex Modifier: +4
    GunnerA’s Attack Bonus: +4
    Targeting System Bonus:+3
    Grapple Modifier: +16
    Base Purchase DC: 72
    Attack: 6 fire-linked batteries of 4 Heavy Cannon Turrets -1 ranged (32d8) and
    1 Nuclear Missile Launcher with 20 Nuclear Missiles -6 ranged (60d10) or
    6 fire-linked batteries of 4 Heavy Cannon Turrets -1/-6 ranged (32d8).
    Attack of Opportunity: Point-defense system +3 ranged (5d12A—10)

Engines: Thrusters, Fusion torch, jump engine
    Armor: Neutronite
    Defense Systems: Improved autopilot system, improved damage control (6d10), 4 point-defense systems (10 batteries of 40 kinetic-energy weapons), radiation shielding
    Communications: Laser transceiver, radio transceiver
    Weapons: 6 batteries of 4 heavy cannon turrets (range incr. 8,000 ft)
    1 Nuclear Missile Launcher with 20 missiles
    Grappling Systems: 1 grappler

After the unification of the Colonies of Kobol, there was a need to modernize and standardize the Colonial military. One of the products of the new armament plan was the first battlestar class vessels. Developed from earlier Sagittaron vessels, the battlstar combined the firepower of battleships with the fighter wings of weakly-armed carriers. The first battlestars were commisioned early in the Cylon war. The effects of the war on the design is evident, the battlestars were equipped with primative, un-networked computers to counter the Cylon's ability to infiltrate computer systems. Battlestars are capable of independent operations for years before needing a resupply, their water and oxygen recycling systems are very effective. These massive capital ships, designed alongside the Viper Mk. I, formed the core of the new Colonial battlefleet. Originally there were twelve battlestars built, one representing each of the Colonies, Galactica representing Caprica for example. The ships became the center of Battlestar Groups which were composed of one or more battlestars and several support ships. The battlestar Galactica (BS-75), for example, led BSG-75. The battlestars were heavily armed and proved themselves well in the war. The most spectacular of these was the victory of Colonial forces consisting of the battlestars Galactica and Pegasus and a fleet of support ships under the command of Commanders Greene and Bridges respectively in the Battle of Gamoray. These two ships held off a much larger force of Cylon basestars and inflicted enough damage on the Cylons that they were forced to retreat and end an invasion attempt on the temporarily lightly defended colonies. The Pegasus herself, however, was lost along with most of her crew. A new Pegasus would be commissioned several decades later in honor of that craft. Galactica survived the war, although she was boarded and suffered heavy casualties during the last week of the war. Galactica continued to serve in the fleet until she was decommissioned and turned into a museum forty years after the end of the war. She was the last battlestar with non-intergrated systems in service. The Cylon attack changed all that and now the oldest battlestar in the fleet is humanities best chance for survival in their quest for Earth.

Colonial battlestars are capable of carrying over four full twenty-ship squadrons of Vipers, about a dozen Raptors, and various shuttles and tankers. They carry eighty launch tubes and can launch all fighters within 10 rounds. Galactica had her fighter force stripped as part of the decommissioning. Her last squadron was en-route to Caprica for reassignment when the Cylons attacked and were completely destroyed. A squadron of pilots remained on Galactica , although they had no fighters, and salvaged the squadron of Viper Mk. IIs on display in the museum constructed in Galactica's starboard flight pod. These Vipers, along with a second squadron stored in Galactica's starboard hanger, a few Mk. VIIs down for maintenance during the attack, and several Mk. VIIs that were picked up by President Roslin's fleet before they jumped to Ragnar Anchorage, formed the Galactica's air wing. Galactica can currently field under fourty Vipers and at least six Raptors due to attrition. Before the decommissioning ceremony, Galactica was stripped of much of her second layer of armor. This armor was used to refit other battlestars. To represent Galactica, reduce the battlestar's hit dice to 1,000d20 (20,000 hp).
    Here are some short ones.

Colonial Viper T.Mk II space superiority fighter-trainer (PL 6)
    Length: 28 feet
    Tactical Speed: 3,000 ft. (6 sq.) (4,000 ft. (8 sq.) with H.Inject)
    Hit Dice: 8d20 (160 hp)
    Targeting System Bonus: +1
    Attack: 2 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +7 ranged (9d12) and
    HD-70/c Missile +2 ranged (6d12/19-20); or
    2 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +7/+2 ranged (9d12)

Engines: 3 Voram VM3-D22 engines with Hydrogen Injectors, thrusters
    Defense Systems: Autopilot, targeting system
    Sensors: Class II sensor array
    Communications: radio transceiver
    Weapons: 2 fire-linked MEC-A6 30mm Thraxon autocannons (range incr. 3,000 ft.)
    1 missile launcher (4 HD-70/c Lightning Javelin Missles)

During the Cylon War, the Colonial Fleet decided that a trainer version of the Viper Mk II was needed to supplement the Viper T.Mk I. The fuselage was stretched and an extended canopy was fitted over a second cockpit placed behind the first. The T.Mk II proved a solid design and was the basis of modified designs like it's predecessor. The T.Mk II continued in service after the war with a few still serving in colonial training squadrons at planetary bases and colonial militia training squadrons at the time of the Cylon attack.

Colonial Viper T.Mk VII space superiority fighter trainer (PL 6)
    Attack: 3 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +6 ranged (12d12/20) and
    HD-70/c Missile +1 ranged (6d12/19-20); or
    3 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +6/+1 ranged (12d12/20)

Engines: 3 Voram VM6-V08 engines with Hydrogen Injectors, thrusters
    Weapons: 3 fire-linked MEC-A10 30mm Thraxon II autocannons (range incr. 4,000 ft.)
    1 Missile Launcher (4 HD-70/c Lightning Javelin Missiles)

Decades after the Cylon War, the Colonial fleet was still using Viper T.Mk I and II trainers for it's flight training. The Vipers, though well-suited for the role, were becoming antiquated, both in equipment and usefullness. Additionally, they required more and more maintenance for each flight hour as they aged. A new trainer was needed, one based on the Viper Mk VII and capable of fulfilling the same duties as the T.Mk I and II. The Viper T.Mk VII was designed in a short time and introduced to fleet service. It differed from it's base fighter even less than the T.Mk I and II, only featuring a second cockpit installed under a lengthened canopy. The fuselage was not lengthened like the previous trainers, the cockpit displacing a fuel tank. The Viper T.Mk VII proved successful in service, providing the fleet with an advanced trainer and a versitile airframe that was modified for several roles like it's predecessors. The T.Mk VII equipped all Colonial fleet academies and training ships, serving alongside the few T.Mk Is and T.Mk IIs still flying. These trainers were not equipped with the Command Navigation Program that disabled Colonial defenses when the Cylons attacked.

Colonial Viper EW.Mk VII Electronic-warfare escort (PL 6)
    Attack: 1 30mm autocannon +6/+1 ranged (8d12/20)

Engines: 3 Voram VM6-V08 engines with Hydrogen Injectors, thrusters
    Defense Systems: Improved autopilot system, 1 decoy drone launcher (2 drones), sensor jammer
    Weapons: 1 MEC-A10 30mm Thraxon II autocannon (range incr. 4,000 ft.)

The successful Viper T.Mk VII trainer proved a suitable basis for modification to various configurations. Unlike the previous Viper trainers, only one version was produced on the assembly line, the other versions being either field-modifications or not needed in light of the capabilities of the base Viper Mk VII. The only produced variant was the Viper EW.Mk VII electronic warfare escort. The EW was designed to suplement the Raptor multipurpose craft that was featured on every battlestar air wing. The EW.Mk VII was intended to be a cheaper and better defended alternative to the Raptor's jamming and AWACS roles. The EW could escort strike forces and fighter squadrons, jamming enemy sensors and detecting them at longer ranges than the baseline fighters. The EW.Mk VII differed from it's predecessors in that it maintained a defensive weapon, still mounting the dorsal autocannon of the Mk VII. Advancment of technology had enabled the ECM and sensor gear carried by the EW to be reduced to two wingtip pods, as opposed to the three pods of the EW.Mk I and II. The EW.Mk VII was never produced in large numbers, equipping mostly planetary garrisons and the newest Mercury class battlestars. All known EW.Mk VIIs were destroyed with their bases and battlestars with the destruction of the Twelve Colonies by the Cylons.

Colonial Viper Mk II Test Type (PL 6)
    Length: 25 feet
    Targeting System Bonus: +1 (post-war refit only)
    Attack: 2 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +7 ranged (9d12) and

Defense Systems: Autopilot, targeting system (post-war refit only)
    Weapons: 2 fire-linked MEC-A5 30mm Thraxon autocannons (range incr. 3,000 ft.)
    1 missile launcher (8 HD-70/c Lightning Javelin Missles)

The Viper Mk II test type was a one-off design to test the weapons load of the new Viper Mk IVB. The Mk II was modified with the wing mounted cannons of the IVB and the former cannon hardpoints were faired into the fuselage. The test ship completed it's test program easily and later served to test other weapons and equipment modifications. It was retired a decade before the Cylon attack after completing a test program for the Viper Mk VII's weapon systems. After retirment, it was placed in the Museum of Flight in the Corinth airbase on Aerelon.
  • Stev0Stev00 Posts: 0Member
    Stealth Viper ... dont leave us hangin...

=O
    How about this? I need good orthos before I can draw it though (hint, hint if anyone is reading this :D )

Colonial Blackbird stealth reconnaissance ship "Laura" (PL 6)
    Length: 32 feet
    Weight: 32,000 lb.
    Cargo Capacity: 100 lb.
    Tactical Speed: 4,000 ft. (8 sq.) (5,000 ft. (10 sq.) with H.Inject)
    Hardness: 10
    Targeting System Bonus: N/A
    Base Purchase DC:
    Attack: HD-70/c missile +4/-1 ranged (6d12/19-20);

Engines: 4 DDG-62 engines with Hydrogen Injectors, Thrusters, jump drive
    Armor: Carbon Composite (Hardness 10, operates as permanent stealth screen)
    Sensors: Class III sensor array
    Weapons: 1 missiles launcher (2 HD-70/c Lightning Javelin missiles)

After the Cylon attack, the battlestar Galactica was left with a limited amount of Viper fighters. Galactica's deck chief, CPO Galen Tyrol, decides to build a new ship to supplement Galactica's complement. Tyrol, who is undergoing personal problems, devotes himself to the work and designs and begins to produce a spaceframe. Other crew members begin to work on the project, contributing their skills to specific systems. The Blackbird is powered by obsolete DDG-62 engines and features the avionics suite of a Viper Mk II. There was not enough metal available to plate the exterior but Lieutenant Karl "Helo" Agathon had the idea of using alternate materials. The Blackbird was plated with carbon composites which render it invisable to DRADIS although it's engine signatures are visible at high outputs. Following a successful test flight, the Blackbird is officially commissioned and is christened "Laura" in honor of the dying president of the Colonies, Laura Roslin. THe Blackbird is a reconnaisance ship, usually unarmed and intended to approach its targets undetected and take high-quality close-up pictures. Following the arrival of the battlestar Pegasus, the Blackbird is taken by Lieutenant Kara "Starbuck" Thrace on an unautherized reconaissance mission to scout a nearby Cylon fleet, especially the large unknown ship later known as the "Resurrection Ship."
    First, I have an improved pic of the Mk VI based on Larsen's design. It's coming along nicely. I also have something I threw together yesterday, its a Sagittaron battlestar from the colonial wars, the ancester of the Galactica and her sisterships.

Colonial Viper Mk II space superiority fighter (PL 6)
    Length: 27 feet
    Targeting System Bonus: +1 (post-war refit only)
    Attack: 2 fire-linked 30mm autocannons +7 (with refit) ranged (9d12) and

Defense Systems: Autopilot, targeting system (post-war refit only)
    Weapons: 2 fire-linked MEC-A6 30mm Thraxon autocannons (range incr. 3,000 ft.)
    1 missile launcher (8 HD-70/c Lightning Javelin Missles)

During the Cylon War, a need arose for a new space superiority fighter to suplement the Viper Mk I. The new fighter was designated the Viper Mk II. The Mk II was faster, had better sensors and avionics, and carried an expanded missile bay which was also capable of carrying ungided bombs. The new Viper proved itself on the frontlines, decimating the Cylon fighter forces. By the end of the war, the Mk II was standard equipment for all squadrons serving on battlestars and other large capital ships. In the post-war era, the Viper continued on for many years as the standard colonial fighter. They received an avionics upgrade after the war. It wasn't until around a decade before the second Cylon attack that the new Viper Mk VII was built in sufficient numbers to replace the Mk II in most fleet squadrons (The Viper Mk V and VI were never built in great numbers as they failed to show a significant improvement over the aging Mk IIs). Many Mk IIs were sent to the scrap yards but a few were sent to museums and test centers to be used as target drones along with Viper Mk Is. Some were sent to Colonial Militia squadrons to replace some of the Viper Mk IVs they had been using for at least 30 years. Several dozen Viper Mk IIs were sent to the battlestar Galactica to be placed in the museum of the cylon war located in Galactica's starboard flight pod. One Mk II, 7242NC, flow by Lieutenant William "Husker" Adama during the Cylon War, was rebuilt by Galactica's deck crew and participated in a flyby demonstration. The Viper, piloted by Adama's son, Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama, was escorting Colonial Heavy 798 which was carrying press and the Secretary of Education back to Caprica. The Viper was damaged at the Battle of the Ragnar Anchorage but was repaired and is still flown by Captain Adama on occaison (Captain Adama also flies his Viper Mk VII). The other Mk IIs in the museum were returned to service and served to repel the first Cylon attack on Galactica which resulted in the damaging of Galactica with a Cylon nuclear missile. The Mk IIs proved to be immune to the Cylon computer virus and formed the nucleus of the Galactica's fighter force in the post-attack period.

For Viper Mk IIs during the Cylon War, reduce the attack bonus to +6/+1.

Colonial Raptor-class electronic-warfare/transport ship (PL 6)
    Subtype: Transport
    Length: 28.5 feet
    Weight: 100,000 lb.
    Crew: 2 (trained +4)
    Passenger Capacity: 10
    Cargo Capacity: 9,500 lb.
    Tactical Speed: 2,500 ft. (5 sq.)
    Defense: 11
    Flat-footed Defense: 9
    Autopilot Defense: 8
    Hit Dice: 10d20 (200 hp)
    Initiative Modifier: +2
    PilotA’s Class Bonus: +3
    PilotA’s Dex Modifier: +2
    GunnerA’s Attack Bonus: +2
    Targeting System Bonus: +2
    Grapple Modifier: +12
    Base Purchase DC: 48
    Restriction: Licensed (+1)
    Attack: 1 CHE missile launcher with 4 missiles -2 ranged (6d12/19-20);

Engines: Jump engine, thrusters
    Defense Systems: Autopilot system, 1 decoy drone launcher (4 decoy drones), sensor jammer
    Sensors: Class III sensor array
    Communications: Laser transceiver, radio transceiver
    Weapons: 1 CHE missile launcher with 4 missiles
    Grappling Systems: none

During the Cylon War, Colonial Fleet ships carried a wide variety of craft for different roles. Crowding the decks of battlestars and other vessels were space fighters, shuttles for cargo duties, passenger shuttles, strike craft, and Marine assault shuttles. This multitude of craft proved to be a serious liability. Ship commanders were forced to make trade-offs in what they carried. For instance, a destroyer captain, whose ship is only capable of carrying a few shuttles anyway, could either board assault shuttles for boarding actions and ground assaults, or regular shuttles for cargo hauling and Search-and-rescue operations, but not both. Mindful of this, twenty years after the war, the Colonial fleet designed a new craft, based off a new Marine assault shuttle design, to fullfill this requirment. This new ship, named the Raptor, was built to be capable of many missions. The new ship was capable of carrying a eight man Marine squad with all of their gear or ten passengers. It was equipped with an extensive ECM and sensor suite enabling the Raptor to carryout Airborne Warning and Control (AWACS), jamming, escort, Search and Rescue (SAR), and scouting missions. Though normally unarmed, the Raptor can carry several missiles on racks beneath it's wings, allowing Supression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD) missions. Normally, however, it carries decoy and communication drones instead. The Raptor proved an instant success and soon was carried in the hanger bays of most Colonial craft. Normally, on battlestars, one Raptor is assigned to each Viper squadron for support purposes and several additional ones are also carried. After the Cylon attack, the Raptors assigned to the elderly battlestar Galactica, have proven themselves as some of the most useful resources available.
    I finally caved in and made a Scarlet Viper. It's also in the background text I posted. The other pic is an upgraded Viper T.Mk I with new engines, nose, and guns.

During the course of the Cylon war, colonial maintenance personnel and design companies regularly developed upgrades and addon packages for the Viper starfighters that equipped the fleet. Many Vipers featured, to some degree, ad hoc upgrades and modifications made in the field by the ingenious techs who kept the ships flying. Many of these were simple, such as fixing a jamming problem in the autocannon loading system or replacing the 30mm autocannons all together with the newer models that equipped the Viper Mk II. Depot-level maintenance often included more comprehensive modifications, such as replacing engines with newer models, reshaping the nose into an improved shape, or installing a newer, larger cockpit canopy that allowed greater visibility. A rarer modification seen was a defensive ECM suite that was not often fitted due to the rarity of the system. The factories that produced the Viper often later added the modifications along the assembly-line. The most extensive and famous modification to a Viper Mk I occured in the maintenance bays of the battlestar Rycon. The CAG of Rycon had totaled his Viper Mk I during a landing attempt after his ship was damaged in combat. Since spares and Vipers were at a premium, the maintenance techs decided to rebuild the ship, nearly from scratch. The ship's forward fuselage and engines remained the same, the biggest difference was the three forward-swept wings added to the craft in a triangular arrangement. A cannon tipped each wing, adding in the two standard guns that were retained, this modified Viper was one of the most heavily armed Mk Is ever. The CAG's Viper had been painted predominately red to aid in visual sighting by the Vipers under his command. He had this modifed Viper painted completely in a deep red, leading to the fighter's nickname, the Scarlet Viper. The ship was highly successful, surviving the war piloted by the same pilot and accumulating a large number of kills. It was said that Cylon squadrons would retreat at the first sight of this unique, red ship.This Viper was retired from flight duty after the war ended and it's pilot was promoted to Commander and recieved command of his own battlestar. It currently resides in the Museum of Flight in Corinth AB on Aerelon. A Viper Mk I upgraded with many of these modifications was equal in performance to the later Mk IV whose prototype was one of these modified ships that was further upgraded. The largest difference in the later Mk Is and the Mk IVs was the redesigned wing and, in many of the fighters, the wider-spread cannons mounted halfway along the wing. Many of the modified Mk Is were later modified into Mk IVs themselves, equipping squadrons in both the fleet and the planetary militias in the tight-budget post-war colonial military. The upgraded Mk Is and the Mk IVs served in the post-war years for a long time, flying alongside the fighter intended to replace them, the Viper Mk II.

Viper Mk I/Mod 1 Viper Engine Replacement template
    Engine Upgrade: Voram D-14/a, thrusters (tactical speed +1,000 feet).

Viper Mk I/Mod 1a Viper Engine Replacement template
    Engine Upgrade: Voram D-14/b, thrusters (tactical speed +1,000 feet).

Viper Mk I/Mod 2 Viper Weapon Replacement template
    Weapons Upgrade: 2 fire-linked MEC-A5 Thraxon 30mm autocannons ( d damage, range incr. ,000 ft.; replaces fire-linked MEC-A2 Thraxon 30mm autocannons).

Viper Mk I/Mod 3 Viper Defensive Electronic-Countermeasures Upgrade template
    Defensive System Upgrade: Sensor Jammer.

Viper Mk I/Mod 4

Viper Mk I/Mod X Scarlet Viper Upgrade template
    Engine Upgrade: Voram D-14/a, thrusters (tactical speed +1,000 feet).
    Weapon Upgrade: 2 fire-linked MEC-A2 Thraxon 30mm autocannons ( 9d12 damage, range incr. 3,000 ft.)
    3 fire-linked MEC-A2b Thraxon 30mm autocannons (12d12 damage, range incr. 3,000 ft).
  • Viper AviatorViper Aviator0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work on the Scarlett Viper, great detail on the wing cannons. I was compairing it to the resin conversion kit the Alliance Models puts out and I noticed that there are two scoops in the space between the high and outboard engines, as well as possible ECM or FLIR pods on the forward fusalage. I'll take some pics of my model to illustrate.

Keep up the great work. :thumb:
    Cool, thanks, those'll help, I did notice the scoops but wasn't able to get the shape right, I guess now I have to try harder. :lol:
    For those wondering, these are the weapon and engine names I'm using. The stuff for the basic Mk II are from the Compendium and I extrapolated from there.

Guns
    MEC-A6 30mm Thraxon Viper Mk II
    MEC-A2 30mm Thraxon Viper Mk I
    MEC-A3 30mm Thraxon Viper Mk III
    MEC-A5 30mm Thraxon Viper Mk IV
    MEC-A10 30mm Thraxon Viper Mk VII
    SEC-A3 15mm Varix Viper Mk III

Engines
    Voram VM3-D22 Mk II +500
    Voram VM3-D14 Mk I +500
    Voram VM3-D20 Mk III
    Voram VM3-D14/b Mk IV +1000
    Voram VM6-V08 Mk VII +500
    Voram VM5-A12 Scarab Mk IV
    Well, I'm working on some art now but don't have any yet ready, maybe this evening. Anyway, I was looking through BJ's thread again and his markings for the Viper Mk II, the yellow, teal, and blue ones, got me thinking about how Vipers are marked. I sat down and wrote out this paragraph detailing that for the RPG, including trim colors for different battlestars. Thanks BJ! :lol:

Viper Markings
    During the Cylon War, Colonial Vipers were painted in a high-visibility paint scheme featuring a white or light grey base coat with bright-colored trim. The markings included the six digit serial code, the name of the craft's home base, and air wing patch. The trim marking were unique to a pair of the original twelve battlestars since the ships were first used in two-ship Battlestar Groups. Decades after the war, the fleet shifted to low visibility paint schemes shortly before the introduction to service of the Viper Mk VII. The new scheme featured a dark bluish grey base coat with both darker grey and light gull-grey, low-contrast marking.

The trim markings and there associated battlestars are:

Red: battlestars Pegasus and Galactica

Yellow: battlestars Rycon and Columbia

Dark Blue: battlestars Atlantia and Pacifica

Teal: battlestars Triton and Acropolis

Orange: battlestars Solaria and Prometheus

Green: battlestars Cerberus and Olympia

Black: major ground bases and reserve squadrons
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    I know this is my own fault, but....

It's the Rainbow Fleet! :lol:

(But IMO, it's much better than the rainbow markings on the Buck Rogers Starfighter!)
    Yeah, but when you compare it to the 1920-late 1930s US Navy, it makes sense. The Navy painted stripes and tails of planes different colors for different carriers. This seemed the logical comparison. :D [/Lecture]

Anyway, I finished a top view for the late-war Viper Mk I. I really like this design, I think it came out well.
    Here is the finished Viper T.Mk I plus, as well as the finished top view of the Viper Mk VI, based on Larsen's great design.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Can you colour it? (the Mark VI) :D ;)

You've done great work on these :thumb: What did you do the outlines in?
    I'm going to try, I've pretty much worked in black and white so far. I've drawn these in Microsoft Publisher so far. I think I'll try using my copy of photoshop or something to color them in.
    Now, for Steve, I'm working on Stealth Vipers. Here is the background and a wip of a Mk I covered in Carbon composite panels.

Choo, I'm not good at all with coloring in these, I'm limited to the paint can option in photoshop. :lol: If anyone wants to color some of these, I'd love to see how they look.

During and after the Cylon War, colonial scientists and engineers worked on various methods to develop low-observable and stealth technology for both Vipers already in service and ones still on the drawing board. Many of these attempts failed or were not cost-effective but some were. One of the cheapest was the use of carbon composites to skin the Viper. Carbon composites are naturally invisible to DRADIS, a craft coated in it would be very difficult to track. However, carbon composites are very fragile, a quality not desired in a combat vehicle, even one meant to evade enemies. Another method used is to shape the craft in a way to deflect DRADIS waves away from the reciever, effectivly shielding itself from detection. Unfortunately, this is a feature that has to be built into the craft and cannot be easily retrofitted to an existing design like the carbon composites can. During the war, the Colonial Fleet ordered a few dozen mixed Viper Mk I/IIs modified with the carbon composite coating, low-observable engines, semi-gloss black paint scheme, and removal of gun armaments. These "Stealth Vipers" operated as stealthy recon and deep strike platforms, capable of sneaking into Cylon formations and bases and destroying a target with pin-point missile strikes. Late in the war, top-secret experiments were done attempting to develop a small jump system into the frame of the Viper, vastly increasing the capabilities of the Stealth Vipers. One prototype was secretly deployed and provided intelligence data for the last major conflict before the Cimtar peace accords. This experimental drive took the form of a podded booster that was fitted around the rear of the Viper. Interest in the jump drive waned after the war and further development was discontinued, especially after the Viper disappeared on a jump, never to be seen again. Post war, the Fleet maintained a secret contingent of the Stealth Vipers, upgrading them with new technology and replacing units lost to attrtion. A completely new, designed from the ground up Stealth Viper was in development at the time of the second Cylon attack. The prototypes were almost complete and were in transit, in the hold of a freighter, at the time of the attack, bound for a remote factory on Canceron for completion.
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    "carbon composites are very fragile"
    I'm sorry, that's something I've got to take issue with. Composites are *very* strong, with the added advantage of being light compared to equivalent aluminum structure.

As for the stealth properties, well, I'll chalk that up to this being in a fictional universe and using DRADIS, not RADAR.

I'm sure you can figure out how to color these very easily in Photoshop. I don't use it myself, but surely it has a gradient tool? That's the first place to start to get decent looking pictures!